OT. Come on America get with it! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT. Come on America get with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Floppers in the US are ridiculed, there are penalties for that in the NHL. Also in which of those sports do the players roll around like they had a leg amputated then jump up like they have been reborn?
Wasn't there a short clip many years ago when Muggsy Bogues (about 5 '+, 130 lbs)
charged into Tree Rollins (about 7', 250 lbs) and Tree fell back about 10 feet?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
not boring to watch, mind numbingly boring.
resume: 26th man on a 25 man nationally highly ranked hs soccer team.
positon 'sweeper.' coach lied. the only sweeping i did was in the classroom after team meetings.
also, 2 year 3rd string player for uni rugby squad. they have the best parties. way more funner game to play, and watch.

usfl more popular on 'murican tv today, and it's a brand new thing.

MLS TV ratings up across all US broadcasters - SportsPro
read closer.
5 Possible Reasons Major League Soccer TV Ratings Are Disappointing Early In 2022 also, read closer. few bidders for new deal.

USFL TV ratings: USFL championship draws massive crowd, 2023 return.

Reaction Score
The Heidi Bowl turned out to be a watershed moment in the history of American televised sports. NBC had no idea what they were setting in motion when they switched from the Raiders-Jets game with AFL playoff implications to a movie about a little Swiss girl in pigtails...

Most of that game was a total bore. It only got good after NBC left. "60 minutes will be shown in it's entirety after the finish of this game, except on the west coast" has become burned into my mind. I don't even hear it anymore. :)

Reaction Score
not boring to watch, mind numbingly boring.
resume: 26th man on a 25 man nationally highly ranked hs soccer team.
positon 'sweeper.' coach lied. the only sweeping i did was in the classroom after team meetings.
also, 2 year 3rd string player for uni rugby squad. they have the best parties. way more funner game to play, and watch.

usfl more popular on 'murican tv today, and it's a brand new thing.

MLS TV ratings up across all US broadcasters - SportsPro
read closer.
5 Possible Reasons Major League Soccer TV Ratings Are Disappointing Early In 2022 also, read closer. few bidders for new deal.

USFL TV ratings: USFL championship draws massive crowd, 2023 return.
The concept of the USFL is not brand new. This is another attempt at reviving an alternative league to compete against the NFL.

Hopefully the viewership numbers helps to give them some traction. With the number of players that could be available, it be nice to see another possible landing spot for these athletes after the NFL draft.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a short clip many years ago when Muggsy Bogues (about 5 '+, 130 lbs)

Is there any mention in the rules about the level of contact necessary for a whistle? The men have a flopping technical that can be called but the women do not. So the number of actresses will continue.
Why should a 5'5 pg be able to run full speed through a screen set by a large post while a 6'2" pf will get a foul? I understand that that's "just how they call it". Totally subjective. Double standards always corrupt systems over time. Flopping is just a corruption of the rules. It's gotten to the point that if a player doesn't fall on contact, even heavy contact they often will not get a whistle.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
And Rollins ridiculed. Flopping in soccer is acceptable to them.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1663046631095.png

Reaction Score
Love soccer! Hate the vuvuzelas (I believe they are now banned in most stadiums) and find the continuously singing fans most distracting. I would recommend attending some games in person before putting the game down. Like hockey, it is a much better game in person and if you sit close enough to the action you will realize that it is not the “gentle” sport you were led to believe it is.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Like it or not more kids play recreational soccer than any other sport. Drive by most parks on Saturday mornings and you will see any number of youth games being played, male and female. I coached for over 40 years, softball, track and cross country I made a big point of pushing my kids into sports in our off seasons. Soccer was very valuable in that most American sports are hand to eye coordination heavy. Having athletes develop foot to eye coordination is very advantageous in most sports and I have found no better teacher than soccer.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Are you saying, forget playing the game, and go straight to the shootout? That would save a lot of time.
Don't know about that, but I am saying that if actual soccer commentators said "Sweet butter crumpets!" more often, soccer could be a lot more popular. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Soccer is the best sport. I don't even bother arguing the point anymore. If you don't like it, it's your loss. You could be living a fuller life.
Sometimes I have a hard time discerning if a poster is serious or tongue in cheek; this is one such post. If tongue in cheek, well played. If serious, no comment.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sometimes I have a hard time discerning if a poster is serious or tongue in cheek; this is one such post. If tongue in cheek, well played. If serious, no comment.
Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I like soccer but it's hard watching players getting lightly tapped on their toe, fall in their behind, and thn grab their head and look and scream like a doctor is preforming an appendectomy on him......w/o anesthesia.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i watch a goodly amount of spanish television, most typically the news.
invariably, when the sports report comes on, there is usually a clip from a soccer match where an announcer yells 'gooooaaalll!'
i like that.

sumtimes, the image is filled with superimposed confetti drops, and weird cartoon graphics.
hokey. i don't like that.

ok, i gave it my best shot.
that's all i got.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I like soccer but it's hard watching players getting lightly tapped on their toe, fall in their behind, and thn grab their head and look and scream like a doctor is preforming an appendectomy on him......w/o anesthesia.

Reaction Score
Soccer a sport? Not according to one of the heroes of my youth.
"There are three sports, bull fighting, mountain climbing, and motor racing. The rest are mere recreations." Alfonso Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton, 11th Marquess of Portago. Spanish nobleman, international sportsman, and all-around playboy. Lover of anything fast: race cars, horses, airplanes, even bobsleds, and beautiful women.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Soccer a sport? Not according to one of the heroes of my youth.
"There are three sports, bull fighting, mountain climbing, and motor racing. The rest are mere recreations." Alfonso Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton, 11th Marquess of Portago. Spanish nobleman, international sportsman, and all-around playboy. Lover of anything fast: race cars, horses, airplanes, even bobsleds, and beautiful women.
Was he related to this guy?

bostonia_995x664_dos-equis-man-jonathan-goldsmith-Shot_03_0366-2.jpg

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Here is the "Americanized" version of soccer -- INDOOR SOCCER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom