OT. Come on America get with it! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT. Come on America get with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Upon further reflection I think I figured out the reason why whole minutes, i.e. 5 minutes instead of 4:30 are added to the end of the game. If the score is 1 to 0 after 90 minutes, really what difference would accurate time keeping make? Sports that have actual scoring and action (basketball, football, etc.) would not tolerate this "relaxed" management of time keeping. But it's just fine in soccer.
Well if they gave 6/7 points for a goal and 3 points for coming close, then maybe the "high scoring" people would be happy???

Talked to a guy who was a fan of soccer, but not basketball. Which I didn't understand because they are so similar. But he said basketball had too much scoring....scoring didn't mean anything. For him scoring in soccer had significance. Eh to each their own.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I played soccer in high school, mostly center midfield. I loved playing the game. When my boys were old enough to play in the local (Norwalk) junior soccer league, I got hornswoggled into coaching. I did that for many years, and enjoyed it. One of my kids became a pretty damned good goalie. I was happy and proud of him.

From the above, you can probably conclude that I am very favorably disposed towards soccer, and you would be right.

I can't stand watching it.

I'm not sure why, but I think it's because watching a match is so much like watching soccer practice. If you're not playing or coaching the game, there are many long stretches that lack any drama. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad they play the game. There's nothing more fun than listening to Argentine announcer!

Now take bullfighting, or chess…:D:p

Reaction Score
What is their alternative abroad? Cricket. Rugby. There are just way more exciting choices here - our innovations have led to plethora of choice. It's no offense to soccer...the MLS draws, especially well in the NW.

Reaction Score
What is their alternative abroad? Cricket. Rugby. There are just way more exciting choices here - our innovations have led to plethora of choice. It's no offense to soccer...the MLS draws, especially well in the NW.
I wouldn't dismiss rugby. The physicality in that game in insane, especially considering there's little to no body protection at all.

And for all the panning on soccer, that sport is an industry most professional leagues here would kill to be. When I see the transfer fees to just trade a player, I get lightheaded. They have to be doing something right.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wouldn't dismiss rugby. The physicality in that game in insane, especially considering there's little to no body protection at all.

And for all the panning on soccer, that sport is an industry most professional leagues here would kill to be. When I see the transfer fees to just trade a player, I get lightheaded. They have to be doing something right.
I am ambivalent about soccer in general except when following our National Teams but at least, the rules are comprehensible. Now rugby. :confused:

The game must have been designed in a pub.

Reminds me of the finer points of golf

Reaction Score
I am ambivalent about soccer in general except when following our National Teams but at least, the rules are comprehensible. Now rugby. :confused:

The game must have been designed in a pub.

Reminds me of the finer points of golf

My relatives in the UK say the same about American football, except the game was designed in a bar :D

I don't know all the rules of rugby but I have no issues following the action when I watch world championships or the Olympics.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not real good examples there. Baseball isn't much more exciting than cricket. Both pretty much have 2 people playing while everyone else standing around watching (while one team sits on a bench), until 1 person hits a ball...then a couple others get to play. I mean come on, Baseball is going to have Hall of Famers who sat on the bench for 80-85% of games (DHs). Not super exciting....unless it's just ingrained in a person because they grew up with it.
I like baseball, grew up with it.....but truthfully....it's a pretty slow sport.

And Rugby vs American (Gridiron) Football? One where they play for 7-10 seconds then rest for 35? And players only play half the time? And commercials after every change of possession? Versus pretty much continuous play ( I know, I know... Lineouts and scrums) and players play both ways with commercials at half time.

Might want to come up with better examples. Or understand sports better.

p.s. Why am I getting cowboy hats in my BY ads??????

Reaction Score
I always thought boxing was perfect. 3 minutes of action, 1 minute of commercials. Yes that's 25%, but It's only 1 minute. Really have to hustle to the fridge lest you will miss the opening of the next round.

Baseball is slow. It's the summertime sport where you chill your beverage and yourself. I often read a novel in between every 3 outs. I think I get about 75 pages read during a game without missing anything.

Reaction Score
And talk about confusing rules. How many people outside of baseball plying counties can explain the infield fly rule? For that matter how many people in baseball playing countries can explain the infield fly rule? :)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, my son informs me FIFA is still tweaking the rules. One of the latest: instant replay review of Offside Calls. Result: Linesmen are very reluctant to call Offside, since they may be overruled. So, some clear offsides are allowed to "play on" and then reviewed, causing goals to b called back. And since we are talking about all out sprints to the goal, there have been injuries related to this rule change. Any soccer lovers care to weigh in?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
And talk about confusing rules. How many people outside of baseball plying counties can explain the infield fly rule? For that matter how many people in baseball playing countries can explain the infield fly rule? :)
Simple: with men on base, you can't intentionally drop a pop up just to get a double play. I'm guessing this initially happened before they made the rule, but that was before my time.

As a fielder in baseball, you have know what you are going to do with the ball IF it is hit You have to think about all the possbilities BEFORE the ball is hit. And there are many factors affecting this decision.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So, my son informs me FIFA is still tweaking the rules. One of the latest: instant replay review of Offside Calls. Result: Linesmen are very reluctant to call Offside, since they may be overruled. So, some clear offsides are allowed to "play on" and then reviewed, causing goals to b called back. And since we are talking about all out sprints to the goal, there have been injuries related to this rule change. Any soccer lovers care to weigh in?
At least at higher levels, haven't seen any injuries because the AR's are waiting. But there is always the possiblility. And they aren't waiting because they might be overruled. They have been told to wait. The idea is better to let the play...play out and if needed, call back the goals. Than to pop the flag for offside messing up the goal scoring opportunity and have them been wrong....and the player was actually onside.

The problem is the VAR review for offside is getting down to inches/millimeters (toes, armpits, etc) as to whether the player was onside or offside. The idea behind VAR initially was to prevent blatant errors....like a player being a yard or two offside or actually onside when they scored. But now, it's just getting to minute.

Reaction Score
I’ve read on the yard a few people talking down about “the beautiful game”. Come on people, get with it. The world can’t have it wrong. Soccer/football played at the highest levels of club, college and professionally is absolutely exciting and beautiful! It’s on my television often. My daughter played club and college.

Football/Soccer
While it may not be apparent in the United States, association football—also known as soccer—is the most popular sport in the world by a vast margin. Soccer is king in virtually all of Europe, South America, Africa, the Middle East, Central America, and Asia.
I don't like it. I find it boring. I'm not saying it is - just that when I watch it I am incredibly bored.

Because others like it, I'm supposed to?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I don't like it. I find it boring. I'm not saying it is - just that when I watch it I am incredibly bored.

Because others like it, I'm supposed to?
Nope, if you don't like it that's fine with me. Walk on by and watch what you like, that's why there are more channels and more sports to watch. I don't care how many people watch {like the NBA} I am not one of them. Since Jordan and crew dominated the game with speed and precision the game has become one on one, selfish play and boring to me. I appreciate team play, something the woman's game in most sports offers much more than the men do. :rolleyes:

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
When the World Cup was in Russia I remember going to a bar in Florida that was packed with fans. I knew nothing about soccer but decided right then I needed to get more involved. A friend of mine spent a year in college in Munich and suggested I follow this team in the Bundesliga named Bayern Munchen. I had no idea that they were a top 5 team in the world every single year but I've been lucky to see them win many titles over the years.

My main point, is that my focus on one team in one pro league allowed me to end up knowing many of the players on the international teams which gave me a lot more knowledge then I ever had when the World Cup came back around and made following the international game much better. Several of our current US team members started playing professionally in the Bundesliga.

I was a typical American (I also coach American football so maybe worse) in that I irrationally held the game in contempt, but I have come to really enjoy waking up on Saturday or Sunday mornings to catch a 9:30 am my time match.

P.S. - even though serendipity led me to the Bundesliga, it is the highest scoring most wide open soccer being played in the world currently. All their games are now on ESPN+ so easy to watch. Pick a team in the top 5 or 6 in the table and off you go. Borrusia Dortmund is a great choice. Usually second to Bayern and Gio Reyna plays there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Simple: with men on base, you can't intentionally drop a pop up just to get a double play. I'm guessing this initially happened before they made the rule, but that was before my time.

As a fielder in baseball, you have know what you are going to do with the ball IF it is hit You have to think about all the possbilities BEFORE the ball is hit. And there are many factors affecting this decision.
Just a little more complicated than that, but it sums it up nicely. Runners have to be on 1st and 2nd or 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The runners can advance at the own risk provided they were in the "tag up" position when the ball was dropped. Of course, it has to be less than 2 outs. I've seen infield fly called on very short fly balls to the outfield.

Reaction Score
I think virtually all sports fans, even in the US, know how popular soccer is around the world. It does not change the fact that many of us, myself included, find it incredibly boring. Certainly part of that is not having grown up with the sport I have very little knowledge of strategies, formations, etc.
My son played 4 years of high school to stay in shape for hoops so I was more than exposed to it on that level. But I could not waste my time watching pro soccer where a legitimate strategy is to writhe on the ground as if smacked with a Billy club hoping to coerce officials into making a game altering call. Quickly followed by an immediate miraculous recovery to instantly playing at full speed. I don’t knock anyone who enjoys that or any other sport I don’t (see NBA basketball), but I also don’t understand and could never bring myself to admonish people for not liking something I do.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I played in HS and was very good, planning on playing in college until I blew out a knee that took forever to rehab, but I never was the same. I tell you that because there was a day when soccer (football) was my game. However, as the game has gotten "better" to me it has gotten dreary and dirtier. Europeans and South Americans have been addicted to the game for generations, but now it seems the addiction is more being addicted to huge amounts of booze to ease the pain of the game itself.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Are you saying that Football players picked up flopping from BB players? :D I beg to differ. There’s a reason why LeBron owns a soccer team. He’s the best flopper in the game. :rolleyes::p
Bingo

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Flopping in both sports are mutually exclusive of each other in my opinion. I don't see any correlation. I remember people complaining about flopping when I started paying attention to NBA and International basketball in the 90s. Heck, it's in NFL and NHL games too.

No different than any sport, players find ways to get the edge and push limits. I know there are rules to discourage it in basketball, but it seems like enforcement is non-existent.
Floppers in the US are ridiculed, there are penalties for that in the NHL. Also in which of those sports do the players roll around like they had a leg amputated then jump up like they have been reborn?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Floppers in the US are ridiculed, there are penalties for that in the NHL. Also in which of those sports do the players roll around like they had a leg amputated then jump up like they have been reborn?
There are actually penalties in soccer for "simulation" , that being a Yellow Card (Caution). Granted the refs need to enforce that more often.

And it's not nearly as bad as people complain about it to be. Most of what people complain about is pretty much the same in Basketball and Gridiron Football. Players just trying to get the ref to notice a foul. BB players will stumble back 4-5 steps when given an arm bar. Receivers complain about being held on routes.

On the other hand, when you're running down the field and get your leg whacked, it does hurt. And it'll leave a bruise. And unlike BB or GF, you can't just get subbed out for a few minutes. You gotta walk it off and get back to as soon as possible because your team plays down a man while you're off.

Yea, simulation is annoying, but there are plenty of annoying things in other sports too (DH, timeouts, no advantage in BB) but it doesn't keep me from watching the sport.

I don't care if people watch soccer or not. It is kinda annoying though, when people come up with hypocritical reasons for not watching it.

Reaction Score
After the Heidi Bowl no network will cut away from live action except golf and the networks now split the screen to keep live golf on.

Soccer is played all over the world and in many places an electric scoreboard is an impossible luxury.

The Heidi Bowl turned out to be a watershed moment in the history of American televised sports. NBC had no idea what they were setting in motion when they switched from the Raiders-Jets game with AFL playoff implications to a movie about a little Swiss girl in pigtails...

Reaction Score

This x 1,000,000. The NHL had to go to a penalty for flopping it had become such an epidemic. There's still too much of it but at least players know they can be called for embellishment & that curbs some of it.

Reaction Score

This x 1,000,000. The NHL had to go to a penalty for flopping it had become such an epidemic. There's still too much of it but at least players know they can be called for embellishment & that curbs some of it.

These points are both true. The point in my reply to the other poster was that flopping exists in all sports and that soccer didn't influence it. The extent or dramatics vary, but it's still there.

The NCAA has tried to implement a flopping rule for the men's game. Results are mixed from what I've seen. I don't believe the rule has been implemented for the women's side yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom