OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Amazing goal. But the Dutch are orange which reminds me of Syracuse.

The dutch are way too mellow. They won't win anything big but might knock off a few big opponents in a game here or there, much like Syracuse - not in being mellow, but not winning anything.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That third goal was a foul yesterday...

Reaction Score
So a similar play when Van Persie bangs into the keeper. Play on. Same play happens to Brazil. Lets disallow a goal for Croatia. That was probably a foul on Van Persie, although the Keeper got caught in no mans land, and it was probably going over his head anyways.

Reaction Score
Could not have predicted the Dutch crushing the Spaniards 4 to win. Not only will the loss hurt, the goal difference of -3 could be one heck of a problem for them trying to advance.

PS - Spain looks to be another country that wishes it has the depth at Keeper that the US has.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Spain is digging themselves into quite a hole here. Wow.

Reaction Score
Could not have predicted the Dutch crushing the Spaniards 4 to win. Not only will the loss hurt, the goal difference of -3 could be one heck of a problem for them trying to advance.

PS - Spain looks to be another country that wishes it has the depth at Keeper that the US has.

Make that a -4 goal difference, yikes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't see that non foul as the same as Croatia. The Brazilian goalie was catching the ball when contact was made. The Spanish goalie needed a ladder to get to the ball.

Reaction Score
Spain is the #1 team in the country right? They just lost 5-1. Maybe I don't know about soccer, but if the #1 team in the world can get beat 5-1, then this tournament isn't settled by a long shot. (It seems that the officials have a very big say in who will win and who won't - I hope we've greased the right palms)

One game we got to win. Ghana.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow didn't see that coming. Although Spain (Silva in particular) could/should have scored a couple. And a couple of those Dutch goals have got to be on Casillas. (maybe time for De Gea) Score line flattered the Dutch, although Van Persie's and Robben's goals were great. Robben's was very Bergkampish.

Reaction Score
Spain is the #1 team in the country right? They just lost 5-1. Maybe I don't know about soccer, but if the #1 team in the world can get beat 5-1, then this tournament isn't settled by a long shot. (It seems that the officials have a very big say in who will win and who won't - I hope we've greased the right palms)

Carl,

Spain is #2 in the USA Today Coaches poll, but #1 in the rest.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Well Spain are ranked #1 in the FIFA rankings, but, those are FIFA rankings. They have the USA at I think #14. We are not the #14. FIFA rankings are not always (never) up to date accurate. They represent quite a period of time. Although they are probably in the top 4/5. Portugal is ranked #3 but didn't win their group in UEFA qualifying. Had to go to a playoff to get in. It's like a 4 year average of points.

But sure on any given day, upsets are certainly possible. As we just saw.

Reaction Score
Poor Australia. They will be group B's "goal differential" victim.

Edit. I may have spoken too soon.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Chile has a chance to be through with a point in the next game against Spain and they are blowing it.

Reaction Score
I don't see that non foul as the same as
Croatia. The Brazilian goalie was catching the ball when contact was made. The Spanish goalie needed a ladder to get to the ball.

Plus, the Spanish keeper went up challenging 3 Dutch players. Stupidity should not be rewarded.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Plus, the Spanish keeper went up challenging 3 Dutch players. Stupidity should not be rewarded.
If you are going to go get the ball, you have to get it.

Reaction Score
Brazil and Spain, perennial favorites, looked rather mundane. This W/C may not go completely to script.

Reaction Score
Brazil and Spain, perennial favorites, looked rather mundane. This W/C may not go completely to script.
Spain just got their stool pushed in, but they will straighten it out and take 6 points from the group (beating Australia and Chile). They now need to hope the Dutch run the table, b/c a 3 way tie with Netherlamds, Chile, and Spain doesn't bode well for Spain on goal differential.

Additionally, Brazil v Spain in the round of 16 is now very likely.

Reaction Score
Spain must beat Chile in their next game or with a tie leave their fate to a Dutch team not needing a result vs Chile in the last game of the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom