OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fred was touched on the left shoulder and went down like Dirty Harry got him with his magnum. Was watching in an airport lounge in Minneapolis and a couple dudes said words to the affect of not being able to take the sport seriously because of that crap.

Why doesn't FIFA (perhaps they do and I just dont know) issue yellow/red cards after the game for floppers...especially in tournaments when yellows are accumulative? Perhaps Fred doesn't do that if he knows there is a chance he gets booted from next game.

I agree with that attitude, it's pathetic to watch. American sports have realized it - there are fines given now routinely to professional basketball plaeyrs for "flopping".

Reaction Score
This will be an interesting thing for me to watch on Monday actually now - how our USA team looks out there with regard to physical play and specifically the falling down crap. I wrote the other day how it impressed me that Klinsmann talked about building a national team that represents the culture.

If that's truly the case, our USA national team players are not going to be floppers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Fred was touched on the left shoulder and went down like Dirty Harry got him with his magnum. Was watching in an airport lounge in Minneapolis and a couple dudes said words to the affect of not being able to take the sport seriously because of that crap.
Did you ask them if they take the NBA seriously? ;)

Reaction Score

They did actually change the sport in the NBA because of it now. Players get fined for doing it. Is the fine a big deal? Probably not - but it will change the way that officials and players push the envelope.

Reaction Score

I get the sentiment. But I think it was a case of them giving the game a chance, and were let down. Again.

Maybe they will try again in four years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rooting for Cameroon. Mexico hasn't been nearly appreciative enough for what we did for them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler - you really embrace the stick in the mud routine huh? LOL. Whatever - enjoy life dude.

Somebody was writing about FIFA having something against the USA - that just doesn't make sense - for exactly the reasons you state - money. FIFA stands to make a whole bunch of money by supporting USA soccer. If there is a bias against the USA - and I'm not saying there isn't, I would think it's going to be at a lower level of the structure.

I'm not sure why something like replay can't be incorporated into soccer, but I gather that the governing bodies have been adamant against it for a long time. Without replay, yes - indeed, the only way I can see combatting the pussiness of the flopping I see, is to actually hammer players and play very physical when you're going for a challenge and making contact. Make the refs have something real to call. Make opposing players realize that the USA is going to be a physical team, and you know what, the officials will eventually look more at the USA players to determine a foul, rather than players falling down. It happens in any sport where this kind of thing is part of the game - basketball particularly. It's easier to tell if person is faking falling down, by the body language of the person that "hit" them, rather than the guy falling. I'm not advocating committing penalties on purpose - you stick in the mud.

The bribes are paid to the individual voters. It has nothing to do with some FIFA conspiracy. If you pay for the votes you get them.

If you attempt to take your approach against diving you'll end up just committing more penalties. That isn't being a stick in the mud it's just a simple conclusion.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Mexico is getting deep into Cameroon territory seemingly at will.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Rooting for Cameroon. Mexico hasn't been nearly appreciative enough for what we did for them.

10 minutes in I see why Cameroon was such a big dog. They are awful thusfar.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Another Bad call. That's 4 in 102 minutes of actual match play.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Right in front of the Ref he was looking at the ball. Could have been a Yellow Card. That was not a natural running motion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cameroon very lucky to get to the half scoreless.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I've switched sides. Mexico doesn't deserve the world class screwing they are getting right now.

Reaction Score

Why doesn't FIFA (perhaps they do and I just dont know) issue yellow/red cards after the game for floppers...especially in tournaments when yellows are accumulative? Perhaps Fred doesn't do that if he knows there is a chance he gets booted from next game.

Completely agree, with a Yellow Card hanging over his head, a second would cause Fred to miss the following game. Thus, it is doubtful that he flops.

Reaction Score
The problem is the US reps didn't bribe like Qatar. It's no more complicated than that.

So your strategy to combat flopping is to commit more penalties. Makes sense.

It's against the law in the US to bribe foreign officials and companies (but not US politicians thanks to that Supreme Court ruling). In many countries, its the cost of doing business and fully expected.

Reaction Score
Hernandez missing that sitter in the 90th minute could prove costly if that group comes down to goal differential. Cameroon did not look good, and Croatia is going to try to run up the score.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

Actually I think it can be carded (somebody correct me if I´m wrong) but I´ve never seen it happen. I think that refs aren´t comfortable with making that judgement. They should do some workshops with basketball refs who have to call blocking vs charging fouls- IMO one of the most difficult calls to make in all of sports. I think soccer refs just don´t have the experience or confidence to make those calls (I think the rule is relatively new). Too bad because watching an otherwise respectable athlete writhe and grimace in fake agony while beating the ground like an actor in a melodrama (with one eye always turned to the ref) just makes me feel like I'm watching professional wrestling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amazing goal. But the Dutch are orange which reminds me of Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom