OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Spain just got their stool pushed in, but they will straighten it out and take 6 points from the group (beating Australia and Chile). They now need to hope the Dutch run the table, b/c a 3 way tie with Netherlamds, Chile, and Spain doesn't bode well for Spain on goal differential.

Additionally, Brazil v Spain in the round of 16 is now very likely.

Spain has no choice, they need 6 points because 4 likely gives them a tie with Chile and they are screwed on goal differential.

Reaction Score
Saw the UCONN football commercial right prior to kick off. The marketing department is stepping up their game. Lot of people watching. Hartford was one of the Top 5 markets in the United States on opening night

Reaction Score
England is the Syracuse of international soccer.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Brazil and Spain, perennial favorites, looked rather mundane. This W/C may not go completely to script.
Looks like it's starting that way. Great day yesterday. Didn't get to see all the games, actually had to live actual life a little. But the games I did see were great. End to end action, quite a few goals. Upsets. This is starting to play out like a great World Cup. Looking forward to seeing Argentina today.

Reaction Score
Ecuador is not in the CONCACAF....I am stupid.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm growing more and more confident for Monday's game. CONCACAF has just been taking it to the rest of the world so far. Mexico wins. Costa Rica taking Uruguay to the woodshed. Now the Ecuadorians are up on the Swiss. CONCACAF will be 4-0 by Monday night. We've beaten all of those teams at one time or another this past cycle.

Umm....I love your enthusiasm, but Ecuador is not in CONCACAF...

(Go USA!!!)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm growing more and more confident for Monday's game. CONCACAF has just been taking it to the rest of the world so far. Mexico wins. Costa Rica taking Uruguay to the woodshed. Now the Ecuadorians are up on the Swiss. CONCACAF will be 4-0 by Monday night. We've beaten all of those teams at one time or another this past cycle.

If Honduras beats France today I'll start to wonder what's going on.

Cameroon was brutal so I'm not too excited about Mexico's win but Costa Rica was pretty impressive.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Haha. Yeah I definitely screwed that up. I was think El Salvador for some reason. Thanks @UConnDan97.

Hey, like Whaler said, if Honduras beats France...this could be a VERY good Cup for Concacaf...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
How about that #SUI last gasp winner... What a finish. Too bad my second team Japan couldn't get a second goal last night. They just did not look threatening after Honda's golazo. Hope the Yanks generate chances the way they have shown during friendlies and convert enough of them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I really can't stand Lalas. Why does he keep referring to that red card as a "little nudge"? The dude plowed into the guy from behind.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Remember those heady days when Honduras was going to beat France? Me neither.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
B-H starts a world cup about as badly as you can start a world cup. Let's see if they can out craptastic Honduras.

Reaction Score
England is the Syracuse of international soccer.

No, England tries and they often make it just far enough to torture their fans before falling to PK's, goals that everyone saw go in but the 3 blind mice, or the occasional 'Hand of God.' Plus, if Syracuse was a Euro national team, they would not make it out of qualifying once they stated playing quality teams away.

Reaction Score
Where's everyone watching the game tomorrow? No way am I going to miss the first 40 minutes while I take the train home after work, so it's the local soccer bar in Hoboken (assuming I can get in) and then the late train home. Go USA!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Big day today. Group of Death starts. Nice appetizer with Germany-Portugal before the main course tonight. Here's hoping we can break the Ghana spell (witch doctor pun intended).

Reaction Score
There's no way the US is looking past Ghana right now. Their entire World Cup hopes rest on the game tonight. Win and you've got a shot. I took a half day so I could watch Germany/Portugal and pray for a draw.

We've been waiting for years for tonight, can't believe it's finally here.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
There's no way the US is looking past Ghana right now. Their entire World Cup hopes rest on the game tonight. Win and you've got a shot. I took a half day so I could watch Germany/Portugal and pray for a draw.

We've been waiting for years for tonight, can't believe it's finally here.

I've given this some thought, and I'm pretty sure that I want Germany to beat Portugal (and to beat them heavily). If I feel that the Germans are the team to beat in the group (and I do), then it makes sense that I want them to pound the possible second best team in the group to give us maximum opportunity to get through. We need a situation where a tie against Portugal is fine. I think that only happens if Portugal loses to Germany instead of tying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom