OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been going back and forth about Germany/Portugal, and I think one of them winning heavily works in our favor. Portugal could have a poor showing and letdown in their second game with a big win over Germany. Or Germany could have 6 points and want to rest their heavy hitters knowing 6 points almost assuredly puts them through, and a draw would likely win the group.

Beat Ghana or else none of it matters.

Reaction Score
Just beat Ghana and get the 3 points. That in itself is a big task for the US. Forget FIFA rankings, forget how US looked against Nigeria, this has historically not been a good match up for the US. I don't know if it is style of play, individual matchups not in our favor, Ghana's witch doctor having stronger juju than the US witch doctor...no clue at all. All I know is Ghana has owned the US. We've all read about the last two WC's (Ghana beating the US 2-1 both times), additionally their U20's owned the US U20's in the 2013 U20 WC (US lost 4-1). This game is by no means a gimme.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good to see Germany score early. I agree that a Portugal loss gives us the best chance. And how about that missed one-timer? Kinda lets Reyna off the hook a bit.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Looking for Germany to run it up here. Hoping would be more accurate.

Reaction Score
Who is saying that? Ghana is the side that thinks they have a gimme.
No one that plays or coaches the US is saying it (and that's all that really matters, what us fans on forums say has zero bearing), but since you ask there have been a few random posts where people expect the US to dominate Ghana due to being so much more highly ranked by FIFA and how we handled Nigeria, etc.. I'm just pointing out, that like BB or FB here, matchups and schemes matter more than rankings, and for some reason Ghana has the US's number. This is the year we break that hex. Their witch doctor is more focued on Cristiano than the US.

Reaction Score
Pepe, Protugal, just got sent off with a straight red with Portugal already down 2-0 in the first half. He's out for the US game too. Double bonus.

Reaction Score
Germany up 3-0 at the half, and Portugal playing a man down the rest of the way. I'd say you're getting exactly what you were looking for.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
SAMCRO said:
Germany up 3-0 at the half, and Portugal playing a man down the rest of the way. I'd say you're getting exactly what you were looking for.

If the worst outcome for the US to advance is a win v Ghana, draw Portugal, and not get blitzed by Germany, I need at least one more from the Germans.

That said, Portugal is running low on defenders. They were only carrying 2 subs to start the tournament, neither lights the world on fire.

The match v Ghana is huge.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've given this some thought, and I'm pretty sure that I want Germany to beat Portugal (and to beat them heavily). If I feel that the Germans are the team to beat in the group (and I do), then it makes sense that I want them to pound the possible second best team in the group to give us maximum opportunity to get through. We need a situation where a tie against Portugal is fine. I think that only happens if Portugal loses to Germany instead of tying...
Absolutely. We win (a must), Germany kills Portugal. We tie Portugal, Germany beat Ghana, and then we only need a tie with Germany to get through AND Germany only needs a tie to top the group. Perfect.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pepe, Protugal, just got sent off with a straight red with Portugal already down 2-0 in the first half. He's out for the US game too. Double bonus.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

3-0 at the half.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Absolutely. We win (a must), Germany kills Portugal. We tie Portugal, Germany beat Ghana, and then we only need a tie with Germany to get through AND Germany only needs a tie to top the group. Perfect.

At this point, we could even live with a 2-0 loss to Germany, and the scenario still works out for us. That's the beauty of Germany taking Portugal behind the woodshed. Let's hope for them to get another goal or two against a 10-man Portugal, giving us even more hope for the second place spot... :)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The other beauty of this dream scenario taking place right now is that if Germany has won against both Portugal and Ghana, they might rest some big-name players (or any players on yellow card trouble) for the USA-Germany match in preparation for the knockout rounds. This is a dream scenario playing out right now that gives the USA some real hope and belief that we can advance out of the group of death if we handle our business later today...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Besides the fact that he's good enough to start, how big a deal is losing Pepe?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Besides the fact that he's good enough to start, how big a deal is losing Pepe?

He's played for European Champions Real Madrid for the last 7 years. He's a solid defender. Of course, he's also clearly not a bright one... ;)

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I don't think it can be overstated how important this sequence of events has been. Portugal getting shell shocked and demoralized, a thin Portugal back line just got that much more depleted, Ronaldo being forced to play a full 90 here, the whole team having to play 50+ with only 10 men, playing the next game in the Amazon humidity.

I already thought Portugal was overrated and figured a draw was likely if not better. Right now, I feel very confident for the Portugal game to the point where I don't think we NEED to beat Ghana. I think we'll beat Portugal.

All that being said, I'm maintaining my crazy prediction from the day the draw was announced: we beat Ghana, we beat Portugal, and Germany game is house money, but we sneak out with a draw. 7 points and through as the 2nd team in the group based on GD

Reaction Score
And Portugal loses another defender Coentrau (Pepe's Real Madrid teammate) to what appears to be a severe groin pull. Carried off of field on stretcher, if as bad as appears, he likely is out v US on Sunday. That's 2 of their starting backline they could be without. Hope he's healthy for their finale v Ghana

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think it can be overstated how important this sequence of events has been. Portugal getting shell shocked and demoralized, a thin Portugal back line just got that much more depleted, Ronaldo being forced to play a full 90 here, the whole team having to play 50+ with only 10 men, playing the next game in the Amazon humidity.

I already thought Portugal was overrated and figured a draw was likely if not better. Right now, I feel very confident for the Portugal game to the point where I don't think we NEED to beat Ghana. I think we'll beat Portugal.

All that being said, I'm maintaining my crazy prediction from the day the draw was announced: we beat Ghana, we beat Portugal, and Germany game is house money, but we sneak out with a draw. 7 points and through as the 2nd team in the group based on GD
On the contrary, I have no desire for the US to chase a draw out of the group. While their chances first Portugal obviously got better, they still NEED to win later today.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And Portugal loses another defender Coentrau (Pepe's Real Madrid teammate) to what appears to be a severe groin pull. Carried off of field on stretcher, if as bad as appears, he likely is out v US on Sunday. That's 2 of their starting backline they could be without. Hope he's healthy for their finale v Ghana

I never root for a person to get hurt, but this turn of events really is working out for the USA. I'm really harping on it now, but we have a viable way out of this horrid group. I really hope we take advantage tonight!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He's played for European Champions Real Madrid for the last 7 years. He's a solid defender. Of course, he's also clearly not a bright one... ;)
Yea, it's not like he hasn't done stuff like this before. He's quite the hot-head.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:

SAMCRO said:

SubbaBub said:
If the worst outcome for the US to advance is a win v Ghana, draw Portugal, and not get blitzed by Germany, I need at least one more from the Germans.

That said, Portugal is running low on defenders. They were only carrying 2 subs to start the tournament, neither lights the world on fire.

The match v Ghana is huge.

I now want the US to win 2-0 and since I'm on a roll, Jennifer Aniston to date me.

Reaction Score
Well now, it appears that for Portugal, the physical fitness and condition of Cristiano Ronaldo is the least of their problems. That red card is probably a hot topic, but watching that game, it seemed that Portugal was having a lot of problems well before that guy got ejected. That head butt, even if it was just a love tap, was just a real dumb move by the guy. Walk away and nothing happens. Hell, just stand over the guy and yell, bending down like that and doing that with a billion people watching - just dumb. Dumb players make dumb mistakes - so the saying goes.

This is where mental discipline really comes in for USA, and Klinsmann will really earn his stripes as a coach, if he's been able to really get those guys ready and disciplined such that they don't budge and inch on focus, and get a win with Ghana. They've got the group stage wide open in front of them right now, but they cannot lose their focus on the single game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom