OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 25 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great to get a win and hopefully some of the guys who had a tough night can pick it up next game. I think Zusi kind of showed how useful a skilled passer and crosser can be. Some of the other poor passes and first touches also made me think of the guy they left behind.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
brooks-was-here.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A win after getting nothing from Bradley is pretty sweet.

Jones was great and they also got good contributions from unsung guys like Bedoya and Beasley.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thought going to Zusi may burn them. As he was coming in Cameron was clearly struggling with one of his hamstrings. Luckily I'm an idiot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Assuming no Jozy do you come back w Wondo? Johansson was terrible.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
The way Germany hammered Portugal if we keep the next two games close we could advance with just 3 points:

Germany crushes Ghana
US keeps it close with Portugal, say a 0-1 loss.
Portugal beats Ghana, I'd say 2-1
US keeps it close with Germany (I know I know) say 0-1 loss.

US advances on goal differential. Hmmm.... seems like a long shot. Germany could pummel us.

I think we MUST at least tie Portugal. They certainly have dug themselves a deep hole in goal differential.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The way Germany hammered Portugal if we keep the next two games close we could advance with just 3 points:

Germany crushes Ghana

US advances on goal differential. Hmmm.... seems like a long shot. Germany could pummel us.

I think we MUST at least tie Portugal.

How does that make sense? Under your scenario, Germany gets 9 points, Portugal 6 points, US 3 points, Ghana 0 points.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Fantastic start to the World Cup!!! Just fantastic!

People who I think really have to be recognized for their efforts (besides Dempsey, Brooks, and Howard...obviously) are Jones, Beckerman, and Beasley. They really did a hell of a lot to lock up Ghana. The backline was very gritty, but Jones covered a heck of a lot of ground, and Beasley and Beckerman came up big in big spots. One of the moments Beckerman really showed what he was made of was the full sprint back to the top of the 18 in order to snuff out a chance for Michael Essien at the last moment late in the game.

Well deserved win for the men in red, and let's hope for a healthy squad to be ready for Portugal... :cool:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bradley was my guy and the only good play/decision he made the entire game was the pass where Jozy came up lame. Jones was the guy who I couldn't understand why JK liked so much and he was immense. Bradley will bounce back, I'm sure.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Bradley was my guy and the only good play/decision he made the entire game was the pass where Jozy came up lame. Jones was the guy who I couldn't understand why JK liked so much and he was immense. Bradley will bounce back, I'm sure.

Nobody has given Jermaine Jones more crap than I have. I still think that the next good pass he makes will be his first one. But the man gave maximum effort today. He covered more ground than a marathon runner, and snuffed out countless chances for Ghana. I've at least been consistent in my saying that Jones is one of the best on-ball defenders that we have, if not THE best. And today, he showed just how valuable that can be...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Admittedly, I don't watch the USMNT too often but I enjoy watching the WC. After watching our team for 90 minutes, I'm happy about the win but is it me or do we just lack ball skills and speed? Ghana dominated most of the match, creating opportunities throughout. Jones is a nice player - he seemed to get stronger as the game wore on. Gutty win, hoping we can pull a rabbit out of the hat against Portugal.

Reaction Score

Germany crushes Ghana

I think we MUST at least tie Portugal. They certainly have dug themselves a deep hole in goal differential.
Anything is possible now that we have 3 pts. But IMO, the USA will not lose points, not to Portugal and not to Germany. It is about match-ups and styles. Ghana is a poor match up, but we won. We will do better, even though the next two teams are better on paper. This was my prediction after the draw and I am sticking to it. USA!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Admittedly, I don't watch the USMNT too often but I enjoy watching the WC. After watching our team for 90 minutes, I'm happy about the win but is it me or do we just lack ball skills and speed? Ghana dominated most of the match, creating opportunities throughout. Jones is a nice player - he seemed to get stronger as the game wore on. Gutty win, hoping we can pull a rabbit out of the hat against Portugal.

Player for player, Ghana is the better squad. It has to be said. Individually, they have a bunch of players that play at the highest level of world soccer (teams like AC Milan, etc.). But what we lacked in ball skills and technique, we made up for in heart and teamwork. We had a gameplan, and we carried it out to perfection...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Player for player, Ghana is the better squad. It has to be said. Individually, they have a bunch of players that play at the highest level of world soccer (teams like AC Milan, etc.). But what we lacked in ball skills and technique, we made up for in heart and teamwork. We had a gameplan, and we carried it out to perfection...

And an old guy named Tim Howard.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was reverse day. Our back guys hung tough, they were the strength of the team. It was just a great piece of skill that led to the goal for Ghana. We never have that many poor 1st touches like we had today. I think we settle down and play a better game on Sunday.

Reaction Score
Can any other team match Ghana's speed and physicality. The US was supposed to be in such great physical condition was gassed. Maybe no other team in the group can bring that level.

Bradley was awful. Why? Who knows. It was not like he had tons of pressure. He just misplayed a lot of balls or did not entirely account for Ghana's speed - or both. We created nothing in the midfield circle which is where it has to start for us.

I like our chance against Portugal. They do not look like they are in good enough shape.

Oh well it's 3 points.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
How does that make sense? Under your scenario, Germany gets 9 points, Portugal 6 points, US 3 points, Ghana 0 points.
Reverse the Portugal - Ghana result. You're supposed to know what I mean, not what I actually write. But then again I guess that would leave us in a coin-toss situation with Ghana. Forget it. I watched too much futebol today. On to Brazil- Mexico!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And an old guy named Tim Howard.

Oh, there's no doubt that Timmy is about 100x better than the Ghana goalkeeper. That should go without saying...

Reaction Score
RioDog said:
5 MINUTES???
Was absolutely reasonable considering the large number of injuries, all suns being used, etc, but it seemed like an eternity especially given a few boneheaded failures to just possess the ball and go home. Win, move forward, and beat Portugal!

Reaction Score
Whaler will say I'm nuts, but that's no surpise here.

Altidore goes down with a blown out hammy. Needs a stretcher. Hopefully it's not a full tear, and he'll be back for later rounds. ANother player tweaks a hammy, and goes until half. Dempsey gets kicked in the nose and goes down with blood all over, they get it plugged and he comes back. U.S. players aren't flopping around like fish. THat's USA sports - not this love tap head butt red card in the Germany Portugal game. I like that. THere were a lot of quesitonable calls - but you know what - I believe that the LACK of flopping around, and the proof that when a player is hurt, they're hurt - affects referee calls, and very late in the game - Jermaine Jones flopped. He drew a big call, and we got a big play out of it.

THis was the first USA soccer game I've watched in a long time, where we were not clearly the better physical conditioned and fast team. It was pretty evenly matched physically. I think the mental toughness of the team is what won the match. I saw what others have talked about, the continually attacking from the wing against Demarcus Beasley's side. Cross after cross after cross. Nothing worked though. By the time it was mid-way through the second half, I said out loud, to the people I was watching with, that they must be ok with that in the game plan or something, they must want that to be happening. Sure enough, in the post game interview, Klinsmann said something about how the players were lined up and working that they were protecting the center backs, and making sure nothing came through the middle, and they knew the vulnerable spot was the wings, but all the crosses coming through were just hits, and not directed at a target. The Ghana goal, did come from an attack on the other side which started close to the middle of the field, so I'm not so sure that Beasley is such a weak link. They must trust him to be out there - on an island like a cornerback.

As noted by others, Michael Bradley was a no show in the mid-field, and that can only mean good things for the USA going forward - to still get the win without his production - but once again, I'm not so sure he had a really bad game, as that Ghana probably planned to take him out of the game - with whatever game plans and tactics they were using.

THe Dempsey goal right out of the gate was phenomenal excitement. HUGE.

As for the question, that everyone seemed all worked about Landon Donovan as to who would score goals, especially if one is needed late in a game, I guess the answer is whoever comes off the bench.

Nice win for the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds