OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 26 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nobody has given Jermaine Jones more crap than I have. I still think that the next good pass he makes will be his first one. But the man gave maximum effort today. He covered more ground than a marathon runner, and snuffed out countless chances for Ghana. I've at least been consistent in my saying that Jones is one of the best on-ball defenders that we have, if not THE best. And today, he showed just how valuable that can be...

He's a very physical player. I loved the wrestling move he put on early in the game where he got tackled - I think I'm learning what a "tackle" means in soccer - and then took offense and landed on top of the Ghana player and then put him into a figure four leg lock and then finished by scissoring his neck with his legs!! The Ghana player didn't like it and began to retaliate with a fist fight attitude, and then the referee broke it up and pulled them both aside for a talking to.

Fine line though, can't be getting carded.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Watching the exhaustive analysis on Rede Globo they were commenting on Ronaldo's frustration during Portugal's loss. It'll be interesting to see how the Portuguese side will react to the loss. I think Ronaldo will try to light a fire under his teammates. The questions is how will they react? A lot is riding on how resilient Ronaldo's teammates are.

Reaction Score
Watching the exhaustive analysis on Rede Globo they were commenting on Ronaldo's frustration during Portugal's loss. It'll be interesting to see how the Portuguese side will react to the loss. I think Ronaldo will try to light a fire under his teammates. The questions is how will they react? A lot is riding on how resilient Ronaldo's teammates are.

Ronaldo and an open flame are not a good pair. He has enough hair products to burn down the entire Amazon rainforest.

Reaction Score
Portugal, as a team, is visibly frustrated.

It's pretty clear when it happens isn't it? I was wondering if the USA would have the same response after Altidore went out on the stretcher. THey didn't. THey also didn't when Ghana scored too.

Mental toughness. Remaining focused on the task at hand when all hell is breaking loose. That's all winning really is.

Reaction Score
How does that make sense? Under your scenario, Germany gets 9 points, Portugal 6 points, US 3 points, Ghana 0 points.

It also doesn't make sense because Germany would probably be resting players by then and we wouldn't get their best shot.

Reaction Score
So how's CONCACAF doing so far?
3-1, decent start, but big tests awaiting all.

2-0 v Africa (Cameroon, Ghana)
1-0 v South America (Uruguay)
0-1 v Europe (France)

Costa Rica with the best performance and result to date. Honduras laid an egg (going a man down early didn't help). US and Mexico got the results they should have, but neither lit the world on fire.

Next up...
Mexico v Brazil (Tuesday)
Costa Rico v Italy (Friday)
Honduras v Ecuador (Friday)
US v Portugal (Sunday)

Reaction Score
I've got to hand it to Klinsmann. With a team bending and about to break after conceding the game tying goal, he sent his center backs forward and went all in on that corner kick, and it paid off. Ballsy.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
3-1, decent start, but big tests awaiting all.

2-0 v Africa (Cameroon, Ghana)
1-0 v South America (Uruguay)
0-1 v Europe (France)

Costa Rica with the best performance and result to date. Honduras laid an egg (going a man down early didn't help). US and Mexico got the results they should have, but neither lit the world on fire.

Next up...
Mexico v Brazil (Tuesday)
Costa Rico v Italy (Friday)
Honduras v Ecuador (Friday)
US v Portugal (Sunday)

Funny that the CONCACAF team that looked the worst in their last game (thanks to the red card), probably has the best shot at winning its next game. I see Costa Rica growing frustrated with the Italians boring style of shell defense and counter-attack. I hope I'm wrong. I don't give Mexico a chance at all against Brazil today. If this was the 3rd game and Brazil already had its 6 points, then maybe. I'm hoping for a U.S. draw against Portugal. Portugal could be down 2 back liners (one to a red card and one to possible injury) but it might not matter if Johannsen doesn't show more, assuming Altidore is out. I wonder if there will be a formation shift. One point against Portugal and assuming Germany beats Ghana should be enough to get the U.S. through, barring a U.S. collapse against Germany and Portugal blowout of Ghana.

Reaction Score
Ya, round 2 is definitely tougher for 3 of the 4 CONCACAF teams, and as a group will be lucky/fortunate to get 1 win from the 4 games.
I think Brazil is all over Mexico, especially seeing how they did not look all that sharp v Croatia. Look for them to come out laser focused. Costa Rica v Italy is not a great matchup style wise for the Ticos, but CR does defend well.
Honduras is the weakest of the 4 and Ecuador is in must win mode after giving up a last second goal to lose to the Swiss.
US v Portugal, I'll wait for the injury report from both sides, but if Portugal gets as many shots as Ghana did, could be a tough day for the US.

Reaction Score
I'm sure this has been said but haven't read the whole thread. After the win what do we realistically need to do to get out of the group?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sure this has been said but haven't read the whole thread. After the win what do we realistically need to do to get out of the group?

Beat Portugal and problem solved most likely. A tie against Portugal would be enough if Germany beats Ghana barring some insane scores in the final games.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
A draw vs. Portugal may or may not be enough. I think Klinsmann will be aggressive and go for the win.

Here is a breakdown of scenarios from fivethirtyeight.

Here’s the Americans’ outlook, in brief:

• Win twice, advance to the knockout stage.
  • Win once and draw once, advance.
  • Draw twice, advance.
  • Win once and lose once, almost certainly advance (there’s one highly unlikely mathematical exception).
  • Lose twice, and almost certainly go out (there’s one highly unlikely mathematical exception).
  • Draw once and lose once, and it gets complicated. It’s considerably better for the U.S. to draw against Portugal and lose to Germany than the other way around.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The timing of the games is an advantage. Germany/Ghana being Saturday will make what they need clearer.

Reaction Score
A draw vs. Portugal may or may not be enough. I think Klinsmann will be aggressive and go for the win.

Here is a breakdown of scenarios from fivethirtyeight.

I've remarked on this before - I don't get this soccer attitude. Why the hell would Klinsmann get the team prepared NOT to play to win????

I understand that you need to be realistic about expectations and matchups and your ability to compete - that is always the case, in any sport, at any level of competition individual or team - but in every single interview and media piece I've seen for weeks leading up to this tournament, every single player and coach has been consistent that they believe they have the talent and ability to compete!!

Win and advance. No time for losing.

Reaction Score
Jones playing well. He's a guy I thought would be subbed out around 65-70th minute. Hope he can hold up for the full 90.
Any one else notice him pull up a little with a hamstring tightness also? They froze a long ball by Ghana for an offsides call and he was standing right next to the passer hopping. They didn't even mention it and he played the whole game. So hopefully it doesn't pop up after the adrenalin is done.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Admittedly, I don't watch the USMNT too often but I enjoy watching the WC. After watching our team for 90 minutes, I'm happy about the win but is it me or do we just lack ball skills and speed? Gutty win, hoping we can pull a rabbit out of the hat against Portugal.
Yea, we don't have a lot of ball skills. More than we used to, but not really up there with much of the world. Speed, desire, stamina has always been our forte. Unfortunately, Ghana has lots of speed. We are not quite as slow as Ghana makes us seem.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've remarked on this before - I don't get this soccer attitude. Why the hell would Klinsmann get the team prepared NOT to play to win????
It's not win or lose. It's win or tie. If you play for the tie, then you just don't send as many players forward in the attack. Which helps prevent being torn apart on counters. You still try to win, but are just more conservative in your attacking, to try not to get overextended. Slow the game down, make it boring, try to prevent it from being and end to end wide open game (which would be very dangerous against Portugal or Germany).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This certainly played out about as well as it could have for the USA. Minus the injuries. Getting the 3 points, having Portugal lose badly (goal diff) and having them lose 2 defenders and their main striker, having to play a huge portion of the game with 10 men, having the next game in Manaus. Really all the pieces are falling in place for the USA to get out of the group. We just have to do our job. Get a point off Portugal.

Reaction Score

I understand that you need to be realistic about expectations and matchups and your ability to compete - that is always the case, in any sport, at any level of competition individual or team - but in every single interview and media piece I've seen for weeks leading up to this tournament, every single player and coach has been consistent that they believe they have the talent and ability to compete!!

Win and advance. No time for losing.

When you play for the win, you are obviously emphasizing the need to score. That can create opportunities for the othe team to counter and it ends up blowing up in your face. Playing for the draw is a more conservative game plan. If Edsall coached soccer, he would have written volumes about it.

Reaction Score
Huge win for the USMNT. Glad to get some revenge on Ghana. Honestly, it's very hard to keep pace with them. They are an extremely fast, well-conditioned team and they're going to give teams fits. Like us, their defense is a bit suspect. But we shouldn't be ashamed that we couldn't keep up.

Our total lack of ability to keep any sort of possession was alarming, however. Rather than make lateral or even passes back to retain possession, we seemed content to just kick the ball aimlessly forward. We need to improve on that.

Jozy Altidore's injury is a big problem for us. We don't have anybody else who can push the ball up and then wait for the rest of the offense to catch up to cross in, etc. Probably end up with Wondo, as Johannson looked pretty lost. Hard to suddenly jump in to someone else's role, though.

The midfield looked pretty good minus Bradley. No idea where the usual Michael Bradley was -- and the fact that we won with him playing like that is kind of impressive. Jones was fantastic and the only US player keeping pace with Ghana. I thought Cameron was great on D... Beasley was his usual self, wish we had a better option going forward. Thank god we have Tim Howard.

Luckily for us, Portugal looks pretty demoralized after that Germany game, and no Pepe (red card), Coentrão (injury), and possibly Almeida (injury, doubtful) probably helps. You hate to take solace in injuries, but we'll take all the help we can get.

For today, we take the 3 points and enjoy and rest up and hope for good news for Altidore, though I am skeptical given how bad it looked.

Reaction Score
This certainly played out about as well as it could have for the USA. Minus the injuries. Getting the 3 points, having Portugal lose badly (goal diff) and having them lose 2 defenders and their main striker, having to play a huge portion of the game with 10 men, having the next game in Manaus. Really all the pieces are falling in place for the USA to get out of the group. We just have to do our job. Get a point off Portugal.

I want 3 points and I'm not changing my attitude. :)

Reaction Score
It's not win or lose. It's win or tie. If you play for the tie, then you just don't send as many players forward in the attack. Which helps prevent being torn apart on counters. You still try to win, but are just more conservative in your attacking, to try not to get overextended. Slow the game down, make it boring, try to prevent it from being and end to end wide open game (which would be very dangerous against Portugal or Germany).

Man - a tie is a loss! LOL.

Really, I get the concept, but I'm pure in american football, soccer is very interesting to me, but it's simply another game, where you need to impose what you want to do on the other team to win. To do so, you need the requisite talent, skill, and physical ability to compete with the opponents on your schedule. Then you need the plan to do it that can work, and you need to prepare and be mentally tough enough to execute the plan and get the job done.

So far, from what I've seen, Ghana looks to be a much more difficult opponent for the USA than Portugal. They weren't very tall, but they were fast, very athletic and had significantly better ball skills. Not that Portugal will be easy, but I think after watching USA soccer in the past year - that the kind of game plan we had for Ghana - which turned into a defensive struggle without any significant ball possession - will be completely opposite against Portugal.

Germany - it seems, is a match up that will not favor us tactically or physically. That's the kind of game, where a conservative approach is probably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom