OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thoughts on the final scrimmage today versus Nigeria? It will be a tough test. Formation (4-Diamoind 4-2 or 4-3-2-1)? The defense needs work, especially the Left Back role (Beasley?) and communications between the two Center Backs. Could even see Brooks play in the middle more today. Would like to see Bedoya in Left Midfield as I am still not impressed by Davis. No change that Davis' 'teak' will result in him being dropped for Donovan as that train has left the station. Hope the US keeps pressing on the attack, which is why it is vital for the defense to settle down so that Bradly can focus more on the offensive third of the field.

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/...till-fine-tuning-us-lineup-for-final-friendly

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Thoughts on the final scrimmage today versus Nigeria? It will be a tough test. Formation (4-Diamoind 4-2 or 4-3-2-1)? The defense needs work, especially the Left Back role (Beasley?) and communications between the two Center Backs. Could even see Brooks play in the middle more today. Would like to see Bedoya in Left Midfield as I am still not impressed by Davis. No change that Davis' 'teak' will result in him being dropped for Donovan as that train has left the station. Hope the US keeps pressing on the attack, which is why it is vital for the defense to settle down so that Bradly can focus more on the offensive third of the field.

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/story/1866394/jurgen-klinsmann-still-fine-tuning-us-lineup-for-final-friendly

One of the things to watch for is who Klinsmann chooses as the starting four for the back line today. That will almost certainly be the starting lineup for what we see in our first game against Ghana. I'm also guessing that we might not see all 6 substitutes today, since I think that Klinsmann will want to see his chosen 11 go much of the full 90, with perhaps 3 subs to give appropriate rest or one last chance to impress from someone on "the bubble". I'm guessing that the two central backs that he favors are still Cameron and Besler, but I'm really interested to see if he puts Beasley in for Chandler. I know that I would!

Reaction Score
So much for the 4-4 diamond-2 formation. Somewhat of a surprise, guess defensive concerns drove this. No surprise that Beasley is in for Chandler, bet Beasley will start the Cup. Concern is if he can hold-up for the entire Round Robin in the heat of Brazil. Would prefer to see Mix of Zuzi instead of Bedoya out wide in the midfield. I would also like to see Johanssen in the second half for Jozy as we already know what we are going to get in Jozey day in and day out.

So far, the defense looks better; but, the offense looks less dynamic. Not sure if is solely because of who is out there or Nigeria being better on defense.

And as I write this, Jozy gets his first goal. That was so needed. Fabian makes another great run.

On a side note, anyone know of a good bar in NYC to watch the up games?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well the first 35-38 minutes of each half will work. Just not the last 7-10 of each half.

Bradley is awesome - love that guy.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
From my perspective, this was a great game heading into the WC. JK started Beckerman and Beasley, both of whom I've been asking for, so I'm happy about that. And if the 70 minutes with Beasley in the game didn't convince JK that he's our left back, well then the last 20 minutes of Chandler certainly finished the task. He allowed the winger to get by him and get the ball into the box on what would be the only Nigeria goal (PK).

Still, lots of positives in this game, from Jozy getting the brace, to the Beckerman-Jones tandem in the middle, to the Bradley-Dempsey tandem attack. I like the formation, because it will be exactly what we will need to do: strong defensive posture and look to create on the counterattack. It looked very Italian out there, and that makes me happy... ;)

EDIT: Apologies to Chandler. He was on the right hand side when he came in, and the person that got beat up the corner was actually Gonzalez. The obvious follow-up question is why Gonzalez is out there to begin with, but whatever. Good game, and the goal was NOT Chandler's fault.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From my perspective, this was a great game heading into the WC. JK started Beckerman and Beasley, both of whom I've been asking for, so I'm happy about that. And if the 70 minutes with Beasley in the game didn't convince JK that he's our left back, well then the last 20 minutes of Chandler certainly finished the task. He allowed the winger to get by him and get the ball into the box on what would be the only Nigeria goal (PK).

Still, lots of positives in this game, from Jozy getting the brace, to the Beckerman-Jones tandem in the middle, to the Bradley-Dempsey tandem attack. I like the formation, because it will be exactly what we will need to do: strong defensive posture and look to create on the counterattack. It looked very Italian out there, and that makes me happy... ;)

My only compliant up front is that Dempsey missed too many chances. Needs to put those opportunities in the back of the net, especially when the US is playing Germany and Portugal as those opportunities will be few and far between. Very happy about Jozy. Never any doubt about his fitness. It was in his head that he could not score. Love to see him get on a roll for the Cup. Would rather see Zusi or Dix on the wing instead of Bedoya. Chandler is not ready. Cannot not even hold the fort in garbage time. He needs to stay home

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
My only compliant up front is that Dempsey missed too many chances. Needs to put those opportunities in the back of the net, especially when the US is playing Germany and Portugal as those opportunities will be few and far between. Very happy about Jozy. Never any doubt about his fitness. It was in his head that he could not score. Love to see him get on a roll for the Cup. Would rather see Zusi or Dix on the wing instead of Bedoya. Chandler is not ready. Cannot not even hold the fort in garbage time. He needs to stay home

As for Dempsey, there were a couple of moments that he should have done better, but let's be honest about the fact that the goalie absolutely robbed him of that goal. Watching the replay, the goalie dove short side prior to Dempsey kicking the ball! It was akin to a penalty shot guess, and the keeper got it right. Otherwise, Dempsey scores there. And Dempsey would have had another if Jozy didn't slot home the first one. It's crazy that both Jozy and Dempsey were having a cookout in the box with nobody marking either one...

Reaction Score
Michael Bradley, Michael Bradley, Michael Bradley

We will not totally be a counterattacking team, but I think that we are moving in that direction. Go back to the diamond when we get behind and have to press the attack.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm with Dan: Beasley has to play. Chandler they can send home for all I care.

I like them with Beckerman as well even though he wasn't great yesterday.

I'm not in love with Bedoya either but thought Zusi was pretty disappointing yesterday.

Thank God for the World Cup this summer would look endless from a sports perspective without it. I still follow baseball but don't watch it if that makes any sense.

Reaction Score
Michael Bradley, Michael Bradley, Michael Bradley

We will not totally be a counterattacking team, but I think that we are moving in that direction. Go back to the diamond when we get behind and have to press the attack.
Oops Add Fabian Johnson, Fabian Johnson Fabian Johnson!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's face it, the big news yesterday was Jozy getting off the schneid. That second goal was a rocket, the sort of goal we are going to need to get through the group.

Reaction Score
On a side note, anyone know of a good bar in NYC to watch the up games?
There's a ton of options as pretty much every bar/pub will show all the games. If you're looking for big soccer bars, here's a few suggestions (get there early as they will be packed):
Nevada Smiths - 3rd Ave & 12th
The Football Factory - 33rd & Broadway
Lansdowne Rd -10th & 43rd.

Reaction Score
There's a ton of options as pretty much every bar/pub will show all the games. If you're looking for big soccer bars, here's a few suggestions (get there early as they will be packed):
Nevada Smiths - 3rd Ave & 12th
The Football Factory - 33rd & Broadway
Lansdowne Rd -10th & 43rd.

Thanks!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Watched the Nigeria match in a bar, so couldn't see it all that well, but JK certain gets points for creativity. Of course it was a lot of patch work to cover for not having a quality left midfielder. If only there was an American who could play that spot.

Now that the obvious is out of the way, I really liked the idea of Beckerman, Jones and Bradley playing at the same time. Locks up the middle of the defensive center and allows Jones/Bradley to look forward with two of the three covering. Problem is I can't see it lasting for an entre tournament. Someone will miss time with cards suspensions, injuries, or just freshness. The other problem is that it relies very heavily on the wings to fill gaps in what is a very unbalanced formation. I think an opposing manager will be able to find the weaknesses rather easily (counter attack vs an advancing Johnson, or overload Jones side of the field where he is essentially responsible for two defensive positions.) This is compounded by requiring Dempsey to play out wide, he likes to be in the middle, and defend, which he doesn't like to do at all. Functionally it looks like this, the "arrows" show zonal responsibilities.

Howard
Johnson-Cameron- Beasler- Beasley
V <<<<<<<<Beckerman>>>> ^ ^
V {donut hole} ^<<<<< Jones ^
V Zusi <<<<Bradley>>>>>> V ^
V....V.......... ..........V.... ....<<<<Dempsey
V ........Altidore....V.... ... .... ...V.... ...... ...V
V

That gap {donut hole} between Johnson, Zusi, Beckerman and Jones is a tactical problem whenever Jones, Johnson, Zusi, or Dempsey is drawn out of position. You can have the same problem if you apply the mirror image on Dempsey's side.

Jozy was exactly what the US needs from him. If he plays like is did here (goals aside) that spot will be an asset. Still seeing lapses, and gifted PK's :eek: but the ball pressure has been generally good and we are generating chances. Will need to find some alternate to the Johnson-Bradley-Dempsey/Altidore axis as the opponents are key on these guys.

I also now feel pretty good about our chances vs. Ghana, and Portugal after seeing them muddle with Mexico who is playing really well right now. Would not be shocked to win both games, especially if Ronaldo is less than 100%. The key as always will to limit bad turnovers, marking mistakes, and giving up too many chances on set pieces.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Watched the Nigeria match in a bar, so couldn't see it all that well, but JK certain gets points for creativity. Of course it was a lot of patch work to cover for not having a quality left midfielder. If only there was an American who could play that spot.

Now that the obvious is out of the way, I really liked the idea of Beckerman, Jones and Bradley playing at the same time. Locks up the middle of the defensive center and allows Jones/Bradley to look forward with two of the three covering. Problem is I can't see it lasting for an entre tournament. Someone will miss time with cards suspensions, injuries, or just freshness. The other problem is that it relies very heavily on the wings to fill gaps in what is a very unbalanced formation. I think an opposing manager will be able to find the weaknesses rather easily (counter attack vs an advancing Johnson, or overload Jones side of the field where he is essentially responsible for two defensive positions.) This is compounded by requiring Dempsey to play out wide, he likes to be in the middle, and defend, which he doesn't like to do at all. Functionally it looks like this, the "arrows" show zonal responsibilities.

Howard
Johnson-Cameron- Beasler- Beasley
V <<<<<<<<Beckerman>>>> ^ ^
V {donut hole} ^<<<<< Jones ^
V Zusi <<<<Bradley>>>>>> V ^
V....V..... .....V.... ....<<<<Dempsey
V ...Altidore....V.... ... .... ...V.... . ...V
V

That gap {donut hole} between Johnson, Zusi, Beckerman and Jones is a tactical problem whenever Jones, Johnson, Zusi, or Dempsey is drawn out of position. You can have the same problem if you apply the mirror image on Dempsey's side.

Jozy was exactly what the US needs from him. If he plays like is did here (goals aside) that spot will be an asset. Still seeing lapses, and gifted PK's :eek: but the ball pressure has been generally good and we are generating chances. Will need to find some alternate to the Johnson-Bradley-Dempsey/Altidore axis as the opponents are key on these guys.

I also now feel pretty good about our chances vs. Ghana, and Portugal after seeing them muddle with Mexico who is playing really well right now. Would not be shocked to win both games, especially if Ronaldo is less than 100%. The key as always will to limit bad turnovers, marking mistakes, and giving up too many chances on set pieces.

Agreed the group looks less daunting every day and they would have a better team with Donovan. He would have been a good soldier with a lesser role - speaking of #10, I'm a Mix fan but he was brutal against Nigeria.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Agreed the group looks less daunting every day and they would have a better team with Donovan. He would have been a good soldier with a lesser role - speaking of #10, I'm a Mix fan but he was brutal against Nigeria.

I like Mix, too. But, he is an attacking player who isn't very strong on the ball and whose best position is occupied by Bradley, but I think JK will make him first offensive sub off the bench, most likely for Bedoya or Zusi and maybe for Beckerman/Jones if we find ourselves is desperate need of a goal with 10 minutes to go.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like Mix, too. But, he is an attacking player who isn't very strong on the ball and whose best position is occupied by Bradley, but I think JK will make him first offensive sub off the bench, most likely for Bedoya or Zusi and maybe for Beckerman/Jones if we find ourselves is desperate need of a goal with 10 minutes to go.

That was the scary thing about yesterday, he turned gold into straw.

But it's one game - and overall each send off game was an improvement so I like the trend.

Reaction Score
This is us. I can see us shutting down the opponents and creatively scoring on the counterattack.

Our strongest position is central/defensive minded midfielders and our weakest position is defense…arguably central defense.
Having Beckerman sit in front of the back four, Jones run box to box and Bradley staying high lets us clog the midfield and remain compact and then break quickly from midfield. It’s not truly counterattacking in the sense that we’re not sitting back near our penalty area, instead we’re trying to break it up in the middle third and push quickly back up.

Reaction Score
Problem is I can't see it lasting for an entre tournament. Someone will miss time with cards suspensions, injuries, or just freshness.

That is one of my biggest concerns, especially with the luck the US has had with officiating since, well, forever. Throw in Ronaldo’s well known diving tendencies (and FIFA’s need to generate a lot of money off of him), that will be a problem for the US. Ideally, the US gets 6 points out of Ghana and Portugal and thus advance regardless of who is left to play against Germany and the result.

Remember Ghana in ’06? I mean, when a 5’ 8” players challenges a 6’ 4” man mountain in Gouch for a header, the laws of physics say the little guy is going to wind-up on his arse. As a 5’ 7” defensive midfield, I have been there myself and after ending-up on my butt, usually say to myself, what was I thinking, not screaming for a foul. Plus, before that game started the US lost both Pope (that second Yellow was such a ‘FIFA will not let the US beat Italy, so they need to go another player down call) and Mastroneni and defense and then lost Renya during the game to an injury. Still, it was a game the US should still have won.

Right now, the US can’t afford to lose Bradley under any circumstance and I am worried that Ghana will specifically target him physically. Johnson also appears to be a player that the US can’t lose as both because of his offensive spark and who would replace him. In the midfield, Jones would been my top pick to run into card trouble due to his style of play and I had Beck as a serviceable sub for him; but, if Beck is already on the field, who replces Jones when Jones gets his second yellow for messing up Ronaldo's hair? Davis, please no. Zuzi and Mix do not have Jones’ physical play. Green I suspect may get 5 minutes in garbage time the entire Cup and that is all. On the back line, I feel a tittle safer with Omar, who has experience, and Brooks, who has been better than expected replacing Besler or Cameron for a game. I doubt Yedlin will see the pitch. Thoughts?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Someone had started a yahoo pool - I looked in both threads and can't find the link does anyone have it?

Reaction Score
Someone had started a yahoo pool - I looked in both threads and can't find the link does anyone have it?
UCFBFan set it up in this thread. Here's the link and password (it's p. 7 in this thread in case the link isn't working from my copy and paste).

.... but I set up a World Cup Bracket Pool on ESPN. Here's the info:

Get in the action now:
Click Here

Group: The Boneyard Pool
Password: uconn

8716114430_857227bdc1_z.jpg
[/QUOTE]

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like Mix, too. But, he is an attacking player who isn't very strong on the ball and whose best position is occupied by Bradley,
When Mix came in for Beckerman, Jones moved to Beckerman's spot, Bradley to Jones', and Mix took Bradley's. Although I would agree Mix was a little off this game.

Overall pretty good game. We created quite a few chances and with a little more luck and a little better finishing/final passes could have had a goal or two more. It looked like Klinsmann's fitness training was paying off towards the end of the game there. Nigeria was dying off and USA was still going pretty strong.

Reaction Score
The End of that game was a tough to evaluate. There were so many changes that it kind of ruined the flow of the game. The penalty was when we had 3 CBs and our flanks were continuing to overlap up field. I think in a normal game we stay compacted and at home. Also surprised Johanssen didn't get a run out at striker with a sub for Dempsey. Especially after Deuce took a few big knocks.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
That is one of my biggest concerns, especially with the luck the US has had with officiating since, well, forever. Throw in Ronaldo’s well known diving tendencies (and FIFA’s need to generate a lot of money off of him), that will be a problem for the US. Ideally, the US gets 6 points out of Ghana and Portugal and thus advance regardless of who is left to play against Germany and the result.

Remember Ghana in ’06? I mean, when a 5’ 8” players challenges a 6’ 4” man mountain in Gouch for a header, the laws of physics say the little guy is going to wind-up on his arse. As a 5’ 7” defensive midfield, I have been there myself and after ending-up on my butt, usually say to myself, what was I thinking, not screaming for a foul. Plus, before that game started the US lost both Pope (that second Yellow was such a ‘FIFA will not let the US beat Italy, so they need to go another player down call) and Mastroneni and defense and then lost Renya during the game to an injury. Still, it was a game the US should still have won.

Right now, the US can’t afford to lose Bradley under any circumstance and I am worried that Ghana will specifically target him physically. Johnson also appears to be a player that the US can’t lose as both because of his offensive spark and who would replace him. In the midfield, Jones would been my top pick to run into card trouble due to his style of play and I had Beck as a serviceable sub for him; but, if Beck is already on the field, who replces Jones when Jones gets his second yellow for messing up Ronaldo's hair? Davis, please no. Zuzi and Mix do not have Jones’ physical play. Green I suspect may get 5 minutes in garbage time the entire Cup and that is all. On the back line, I feel a tittle safer with Omar, who has experience, and Brooks, who has been better than expected replacing Besler or Cameron for a game. I doubt Yedlin will see the pitch. Thoughts?

I think you'll see formation and tactical changes rather than one for one subs if suspensions or injuries occur.

I think Chandler and Yedlin would be options at RD if Johnson went down.

Mix would sub for Bradley in a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 but he would have Dempsey over him and Jones/Beckerman beside or beneath him.

The way Brooks and Gonzales are playing, I'll be nervous the moment they step on the field. Green will get a cameo at some point. Probably the easiest Germany game with Brooks around the 88th minute.

Davis, Bedoya, Johannsonn, and Wondo will get spot duty along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom