OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was reading the new SI over the weekend. Wahl picked Nigeria to advance to the Round of 16. So it wasn't a bunch of ham-and-eggers they beat.

Reaction Score
Our group is still tough, but it would be worse if we had one or two South American squads in the group. I was listening to Grant Wahl on the radio and thinks that the SA squads will be stronger than normal in this one. And that actually makes pretty good sense.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Our group is still tough, but it would be worse if we had one or two South American squads in the group. I was listening to Grant Wahl on the radio and thinks that the SA squads will be stronger than normal in this one. And that actually makes pretty good sense.

This makes a lot of sense. Also, European teams historically don't do well outside of Europe. Except Germany, darn it all to heck.

Reaction Score

I agree but then again, I'd much rather play in a group with Colombia over Germany...Both being top seeds and all

Reaction Score
This makes a lot of sense. Also, European teams historically don't do well outside of Europe. Except Germany, darn it all to heck.

Yes, and yes. I will be interested to see how the European sides fare playing in South America. My guess is they will struggle a bit as the tournament draws on. It is still a draw for the US with 2 of the top 6 teams in the world, along with our wourld cup achilles heel from the last 2 WC's in our group. I'm picking us to advance though, and most likely get Belgium in the round of 16.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was reading the new SI over the weekend. Wahl picked Nigeria to advance to the Round of 16. So it wasn't a bunch of ham-and-eggers they beat.
I am thinking Bosnia gets out of that group instead of Nigeria. (Along with Argentina, who I think will win the group, the other in the group is Iran)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Europeans have never won over here. And only once outside of Europe (Spain in S. Africa in 2010).
1930 - Uruguay in Uruguay
1950 - Uruguay in Brazil
1962 - Brazil in Chile
1970 - Brazil in Mexico
1978 - Argentina in Argentina
1994 - Brazil in USA

Reaction Score
I think you'll see formation and tactical changes rather than one for one subs if suspensions or injuries occur.

I think Chandler and Yedlin would be options at RD if Johnson went down.

Mix would sub for Bradley in a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 but he would have Dempsey over him and Jones/Beckerman beside or beneath him.

The way Brooks and Gonzales are playing, I'll be nervous the moment they step on the field. Green will get a cameo at some point. Probably the easiest Germany game with Brooks around the 88th minute.

Davis, Bedoya, Johannsonn, and Wondo will get spot duty along the way.

Chandler makes me a lot more nervous than Omar and Brooks. But, he does play in Germany, which for better or worse seems to count for a lot this year. Undecided about Yedlin. Though, I fully expect to see at least 2 of those 4 on the pitch at some point due to injuries or Card suspensions.

I agree about Dempsey. He got roughed up and I would have liked to see Johannsonn on the pitch. We know what the US gets in Wondo – no that good with the ball; but a good nose for the goal, thus he comes on with 15 minutes left down by a goal and with everyone else pressing forward.

It looks like no one thinks Green will see the pitch during any important part of a game unless the US runs out of bodies.

Reaction Score
I agree but then again, I'd much rather play in a group with Colombia over Germany...Both being top seeds and all

Colombia is a big question mark right now after losing their top striker - Radamel Falcao, who accounted for 35% of their goals in qualifying.

Reaction Score
FIFA’s 2022 Qatar dream is now in serious jeopardy as even the business press is picking up on it.

From Business Insurance –

http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20140609/NEWS06/140609843?tags=58|374|334|371|158|362|338|176|171

These major corporate sponsors (Adidas, Sony, Visa, and Coke) represent 45% of FIFA’s sponsorship money and 13% of FIFA’s total revenue. Plus, Fox Sports, which as the US broadcasting rights for $425 million, which represents 10% of FIFA’s total broadcasting revenues, want a transparent investigation and for Qatar to be stripped of the 2022 cup if bribery if found. That is pressure that FIFA cannot ignore.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here's a trivia question: As of a week or so ago, USA fans have purchased the 2nd highest number of tickets in the secondary market. What country has bought the most?.........Chile! Never would have guessed that. As a result, I am going to be a Chile fan. As opposed to a chili fan, which I already am.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
FIFA’s 2022 Qatar dream is now in serious jeopardy as even the business press is picking up on it.

http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20140609/NEWS06/140609843?tags=58|374|334|371|158|362|338|176|171

These major corporate sponsors (Adidas, Sony, Visa, and Coke) represent 45% of FIFA’s sponsorship money and 13% of FIFA’s total revenue. Plus, Fox Sports, which as the US broadcasting rights for $425 million, which represents 10% of FIFA’s total broadcasting revenues, want a transparent investigation and for Qatar to be stripped of the 2022 cup if bribery if found. That is pressure that FIFA cannot ignore.

What Fox wants is for the World Cup to not be played during football season. American Football season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Let's hope so. 1) they don't deserve it 2) either it's gonna be too hot or they move it to the winter which screws up the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc. 3) I want it in the USA while I'm still alive. ;) (not really kidding :confused:)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here's a trivia question: As of a week or so ago, USA fans have purchased the 2nd highest number of tickets in the secondary market. What country has bought the most?....Chile! Never would have guessed that. As a result, I am going to be a Chile fan. As opposed to a chili fan, which I already am.
Chile has a shot at getting out of the group. Not sure how good Netherlands is this year.

Reaction Score
What Fox wants is for the World Cup to not be played during football season. American Football season.

And the European broadcasters do not want it in the middle of their seasons (winter). Money talks. Sepp have FIFA have themselves in a jam, good.

Reaction Score
The last month I got caught up in all the negativity. Everybody keeps saying that we can't play with anybody in our group - including Ghana, After Saturday i changed back to positive. Ghana is ranked just above Nigeria and just below Turkey. I stopped so enamored by our group. I just see us going out there and giving everybody, no matter their ranking, a good match. I think that we have it together and Klinsman will have these guys on the same page. If you watched the Altidore interview it seems that it's all very upbeat and positive.

Reaction Score

The whole world knew the fix was in when Qatar got the bid over the US. IIRC there was speculation/accusation that was the reason Russia won out over England for 2018 as well. I don't know if Qatar will be stripped of the bid or not, but I sure hope so. With 2018 WC in Russia (part of UEFA) and recent WC's in Africa and South America, that narrows down the bid to North America or Asia. Given that the US was the runner up for the 2022 bid, we have the infrastructure (stadiums, lodging, transportation) already in place, we should be considered a front runner....Fingers crossed, as I take nothing for granted when FIFA's governing body is making the decision... they make NCAA leaadership look good.

Reaction Score
The last month I got caught up in all the negativity. Everybody keeps saying that we can't play with anybody in our group - including Ghana, After Saturday i changed back to positive. Ghana is ranked just above Nigeria and just below Turkey. I stopped so enamored by our group. I just see us going out there and giving everybody, no matter their ranking, a good match. I think that we have it together and Klinsman will have these guys on the same page. If you watched the Altidore interview it seems that it's all very upbeat and positive.

Meh, we're doomed.

Doooooomed.

Reaction Score
The whole world knew the fix was in when Qatar got the bid over the US. IIRC there was speculation/accusation that was the reason Russia won out over England for 2018 as well. I don't know if Qatar will be stripped of the bid or not, but I sure hope so. With 2018 WC in Russia (part of UEFA) and recent WC's in Africa and South America, that narrows down the bid to North America or Asia. Given that the US was the runner up for the 2022 bid, we have the infrastructure (stadiums, lodging, transportation) already in place, we should be considered a front runner....Fingers crossed, as I take nothing for granted when FIFA's governing body is making the decision... they make NCAA leaadership look good.

With the negative press and added scrutiny, I hope they're smart enough to make a better decision.

Reaction Score
If they didn't before, I'm betting Ghana has the US's attention after dismantling S. Korea 4-0 tonight, w/ an early injury sub netting a hat trick.

Reaction Score
Looking at 2 of the most skilled teams in the tournament and wondering whether age might be a complicating factor for Spain or Argentina. They should realistically both be in the top 4-6.

Reaction Score

I know. If the US has lost to Australia, a minor soccer 'power;' but, a large country with a proven track record of hosting major sporting events, I would have been OK with that. But, losing to Qatar was just absurd. If it is stripped, my guess it would go back to being between the US and Australia. The US with an edge due to most of the stadiums are already in place (many of the host stadiums from the 1994 Cup have been replaced - MetLife, Gillette, Ford Field, etc.).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
SAMCRO said:

Would loved to have won 2022, but want no part of any decision to move it from Qatar to the US. The politics of world football is not what the US needs right now. To the developing world and the middle east it will play as us stealing it from them.

It was a corrupt decision and it shouldn't be played there, but let Europe deal with it. I'd be happy to spend the summer of 2022 in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg or in England, which is where it would be.

Reaction Score
Looking at 2 of the most skilled teams in the tournament and wondering whether age might be a complicating factor for Spain or Argentina. They should realistically both be in the top 4-6.

I think people are a little low on Spain's chances simply based on Brazil being the home team. Argentina, on the other hand, has a highly skilled offense, but their defense is pretty suspect. Teams like Spain, Brazil, and Germany are a bit more balanced.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Would loved to have won 2022, but want no part of any decision to move it from Qatar to the US. The politics of world football is not what the US needs right now. To the developing world and the middle east it will play as us stealing it from them.

It was a corrupt decision and it shouldn't be played there, but let Europe deal with it. I'd be happy to spend the summer of 2022 in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg or in England, which is where it would be.
I sure wouldn't mind England either, but I doubt they will put it in UEFA two cycles in a row anymore. (IF it were to get moved from Qatar, I have doubts they would take it away)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom