OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No, that's how they consider intent (or intentional). It's "making yourself bigger" or "having the hands/arms in an unnatural position" (with respect to playing soccer). I think those second words are the ones used in one of USSF's white papers on Handling.

And yes defenders do sometimes (usually) put their hands behind their backs in the box to avoid handling calls.

We both have the same understanding of the rule, but what I'm trying to do is to explain to people that the word "intent" does not mean "hey, that guy did it on purpose!" You could even have your back turned to the play with your arm away from your body and get called there. Obviously, the player had no "intention" of handling a ball he couldn't see, but if his arm is away from his body, making himself bigger, he's guilty of the infraction. He has illegally interfered with the play...

Reaction Score
Yea, that's why I thought it might have been just as well the Turkey-USA official sucked. It would give us a practice game to over come a ref, which we'll probably have to do at the WC.

Any idea if the US asked for the ref from the Turkey game or if FIFA assigned him? That would answer it. The guy just came off a year-long suspension from the African Confederation due to losing control of several games. Happily, he does not appear to be on the final FIFA World Cup referee pool.

I ref at the youth level up to high school. Naturally, I give some leniency to the young kids and am sticker with high school kids. Outside of the penalty box, I never whistle an incidental handball unless it changes the play such as stopping a pass, causing a turnover, etc. If it was done on purpose, I usually give a Yellow if it was really obvious (unless it is s little kid and the kid just for back from football practice and forgot what sport he was playing, then it is just a foul and a friendly chat). In the penalty box, and defensive handball that changes the course of the ball at all is a PK. If the contact was incidental; but, the player had his/her arms sticking out (making bigger) then it is Yellow and a PK unless I previously warned the player, then it’s Red. If the kid pulled a Suarez, it’s a straight Red and a PK. Oh, if the offense pulls a Hand of God, it’s a free kick to the defense and a straight Red.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well then, you're an idiot. Because apparently, you don't realize that you can beat Ghana, NOT lose the other two games, and STILL not advance! How do you like that? You could actually end up with 5 points, along with two other teams, and have them go through based on goal difference or goals scored. So thanks for proving my point... :confused:

No , Sherlock. But that's not what you said. Try arguing in good faith for a change. But keep up the insults, that what people do when they can't win the argument on the facts.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We both have the same understanding of the rule, but what I'm trying to do is to explain to people that the word "intent" does not mean "hey, that guy did it on purpose!" You could even have your back turned to the play with your arm away from your body and get called there. Obviously, the player had no "intention" of handling a ball he couldn't see, but if his arm is away from his body, making himself bigger, he's guilty of the infraction. He has illegally interfered with the play...
OK. I think we are on the same page. Just miscommunicating.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Any idea if the US asked for the ref from the Turkey game or if FIFA assigned him? That would answer it. The guy just came off a year-long suspension from the African Confederation due to losing control of several games. Happily, he does not appear to be on the final FIFA World Cup referee pool.
Not sure how they go about assigning ref for friendlies. ??? I doubt the USA specifically asked for a ref. And no, Jedidi is not in the WC pool. There are 3 others from Africa though. (Ivory Coast, Gambia, Algeria)

In the penalty box, and defensive handball that changes the course of the ball at all is a PK. If the contact was incidental; but, the player had his/her arms sticking out (making bigger) then it is Yellow and a PK unless I previously warned the player, then it’s Red. If the kid pulled a Suarez, it’s a straight Red and a PK. Oh, if the offense pulls a Hand of God, it’s a free kick to the defense and a straight Red.
Not sure I agree with all of that. Which of the 7 Sending Off Offenses are you using to give the warned player and the Hand of God player to issue a RC?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm sure the host federation handles it from an available pool. These friendlies were scheduled rather late. It wouldn't surprise me we got what was available.

Also not sure if WC refs are allowed to work these this close to the WC.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No , Sherlock. But that's not what you said. Try arguing in good faith for a change. But keep up the insults, that what people do when they can't win the argument on the facts.

You're just mad because you were trying to make a smart comment about my statement and it ended up proving my point. So again...thanks for proving my point... :p

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm sure the host federation handles it from an available pool. These friendlies were scheduled rather late. It wouldn't surprise me we got what was available.

Also not sure if WC refs are allowed to work these this close to the WC.
I think the WC refs are probably already training down in Brazil. And yea on top of that, I doubt they want them working teams they might see in a couple weeks.

Edit: Yep just read an article on Geiger (USA ref) and he was to fly to Rio on 5/31. It said they have a couple weeks of seminars and on-field training.

Reaction Score
I think the WC refs are probably already training down in Brazil. And yea on top of that, I doubt they want them working teams they might see in a couple weeks.

Edit: Yep just read an article on Geiger (USA ref) and he was to fly to Rio on 5/31. It said they have a couple weeks of seminars and on-field training.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall at those meetings! I hope the location is well guarded after all the one thing that unites global soccer are the trials that the 3 Blind Mice have put just about every country through at one point or another.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Oh, to be a fly on the wall at those meetings! I hope the location is well guarded after all the one thing that unites global soccer are the trials that the 3 Blind Mice have put just about every country through at one point or another.
It would be interesting to hear what their points of emphasis are gonna be. What kind of instructions they give them. Let 'em play or crackdown on such and such.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with all of that. Which of the 7 Sending Off Offenses are you using to give the warned player and the Hand of God player to issue a RC?

In youth soccer, the key is to teach and make sure the kids are having fun. Kicking them out of game because a 7 year old forgot his is playing soccer and not football serves no purpose. As for the Hand of God, good question, it does not fit any of the categories well. Though, it is fair in that if a defensive player can receive a Red Card for a handball in the box to block a scoring opportunity, then an Offensive player should receive the same if he/she uses a handball in the box to generate a scoring opportunity. That and in my opinion, if anyone acts like that punk Maradona, he/she should be carded.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to hear what their points of emphasis are gonna be. What kind of instructions they give them. Let 'em play or crackdown on such and such.

One such instruction should be if Cristiano Ronaldo even thinks about diving, it should be a Yellow Card. If he winks or rips off his shirt at any time, she should be given a Red and sent back to Portugal.

Reaction Score
One such instruction should be if Cristiano Ronaldo even thinks about diving, it should be a Yellow Card. If he winks or rips off his shirt at any time, she should be given a Red and sent back to Portugal.

I understand all of the Portugese following is really concerned because she wasn't able to play in the latest warm-up match.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You're just mad because you were trying to make a smart a comment about my statement and it ended up proving my point. So again...thanks for proving my point... :p

More bad faith.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In youth soccer, the key is to teach and make sure the kids are having fun. Kicking them out of game because a 7 year old forgot his is playing soccer and not football serves no purpose.
Well that's a completely different situation. Agree cards are not usually used at younger ages. The youngest I've YC'd was a U10. Only because he would not stop smashing into the other kids (even his own teammates, just a very rambunctious), and his coach wouldn't take him off the field and talk to him.

As for the Hand of God, good question, it does not fit any of the categories well. Though, it is fair in that if a defensive player can receive a Red Card for a handball in the box to block a scoring opportunity, then an Offensive player should receive the same if he/she uses a handball in the box to generate a scoring opportunity. That and in my opinion, if anyone acts like that punk Maradona, he/she should be carded.
Have to disagree with you there. Ref's really shouldn't be making stuff up. The laws are there. Particularly to send someone off who shouldn't be sent off. There is specific language in the ATR (12.28.1 Unsporting Behavior) ("Handles the ball deliberately to score a goal") about an offensive player handling the ball to score being given a YC. (not a RC)

Reaction Score
Well that's a completely different situation. Agree cards are not usually used at younger ages. The youngest I've YC'd was a U10. Only because he would not stop smashing into the other kids (even his own teammates, just a very rambunctious), and his coach wouldn't take him off the field and talk to him.

Sorry about the U10 player. Bad situation. I was coaching a U8 team as noted above and had to throw an opposing player out after he sent a third player off the field crying. The opposing coach was OK with that, the kid’s Dad was not. Afterwards at a Rec meeting, both caches and the Rec supervisor spoke to the kid and his Dad. The kid finally realized what he did was wrong, agreed to write an apology to both teams (makes the kid sit and think for a few minutes versus just spitting it out in 30 seconds) and was allowed to play after a week to cool-off with the understanding that a repeat performance would not be acceptable. His Dad, which is clearly where it all of this came from, was less understanding and quite colorful about it. Thus, Dad was banned from all of the town’s rec sports for 2013/14.

I have only seen a Maradona goal once and happily it was a U8 player. The kid literally picked the ball up with his hands and ran in into the net American football/rugby style for the other team. His coach and I had a little chat and explained that American football practice ended an hour ago. I was proud that I managed not to laugh the entire time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have only seen a Maradona goal once and happily it was a U8 player. The kid literally picked the ball up with his hands and ran in into the net American football/rugby style for the other team. His coach and I had a little chat and explained that American football practice ended an hour ago. I was proud that I managed not to laugh the entire time.
I wouldn't have been able to not laugh. :D

I do remember once when I was at my little brother T-Ball practice (way, way back in the day). They had a kid out in Centerfield who had played football (pointyball) the previous fall. (5-6 year olds, it was GA, they start them early) A baserunner came running around 2nd base and the CF came in and leveled him with a beautiful tackle. Jumped up and was all excited about his tackle. They had to explain to him you don't tackle in baseball. :)

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have been able to not laugh. :D

I do remember once when I was at my little brother T-Ball practice (way, way back in the day). They had a kid out in Centerfield who had played football (pointyball) the previous fall. (5-6 year olds, it was GA, they start them early) A baserunner came running around 2nd base and the CF came in and leveled him with a beautiful tackle. Jumped up and was all excited about his tackle. They had to explain to him you don't tackle in baseball. :)

Baseball sure would be a lot more interesting to me, if you could tackle baserunners. Reminds me of the old football/baseball George Carlin bit. "I'm safe - at home!!" YAY!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Baseball sure would be a lot more interesting to me, if you could tackle baserunners. Reminds me of the old football/baseball George Carlin bit. "I'm safe - at home!!" YAY!!
Full contact golf.

Reaction Score
As long as he keeps him "jinxed" for our game too, I'm ok with that. ;)

But what exactly did he do with the dogs. :eek:

Pretty sure they get Portugal after us, and the hex is ongoing. As for the hounds, some questions are better left unanswered.

Reaction Score
Maybe the hex thing has some truth too it as Cristiano Ronaldo does look a like an adult Tom Riddle if the old snake had not gone all Voldemort on everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom