OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one?

Reaction Score
I didn't bother affixing to the shower wall because it looks tacky IMO
Lol. Dude, why do you care whether the inside of your shower looks tacky? Do you post lots of selfies.
Just kidding, but impressed by how different people are - makes the world more enjoyable.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why would you do this? Are you that cheap that you want to look bad and hack your face up? I don’t think shaving has to be this super expensive exercise. Why stick to the bloody, painful option?
My barber is an 86 year old Italian guy who works a regular 40 hour week . He owns commercial and residential property with no mortgages so he doesn't have to work but like Fluedslipcon he is kind of cheap.
He makes his own shaving cream which he stores in a soapy looking gallon glass jug. The soapy liquid goes into one of those barber type electric dispensers which he bought used about 40 years ago. It seems to work pretty well.
Oh, the good thing is haircuts are only $10 but most of his customers are retired guys so he only knows how to cut grey hair.
What’s this cheap business? Did you ever hear the word frugal?

Funny thing is I went through several expensive razors including the Quattro and Mach 4. Original blades worked fine. Refills were a rip off both monetarily and physically. Out of frustration I chucked the lot of them and bought three brands of disposables.

First package tried one and threw out package before finishing. Second package the shave was better than the expensive stuff. I was surprised I got three to four weeks out of it with daily shaving.

Of course they stopped making the brand (name escapes me) so it was trial and error searching for a new one. Settled on Bic disposable single blade. Not as good but still on par with The expensive stuff. I bought a twelve pack three years ago and still have four left. Only need to shave once or twice a week.

Use Barbosol foam. Shave within minutes of a shower and the result is smooth shaving.

Reaction Score
These companies jut want you hooked to their product, sending free handles in the mail.

Reaction Score
I've been doing a blade every 1-2 months right after shower. Use soap on face. Still use a Gillette 2 blade (Trac II?) (why do you really need 12 blades?) but getting hard to find, and when you do, $$$. Good thing I only need ~9-12 blades / yr.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I dried my blades with care this morning after shaving.

Expecting big things tomorrow or you all will hear about it.
I'm starting the experiment Monday, with fresh blades. I did look at my blade this morning after tapping twice (double tap?) and it was still wet.

After I see how that goes, I may switch to shaving after showering. Not sure about that yet though. Shaving in the shower just seems to be a bridge too far.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm starting the experiment Monday, with fresh blades. I did look at my blade this morning after tapping twice (double tap?) and it was still wet.

After I see how that goes, I may switch to shaving after showering. Not sure about that yet though. Shaving in the shower just seems to be a bridge too far.
Looked at my blades before shaving this morning and they looked dry but dull from dried water. Did the double tap after shaving and then towel dried and they already looked shinier than before shaving, so, like I said, I am expecting big things tomorrow. Or else.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Oh no, it's incredible liberating :D.

Brushing my teeth, on the other hand...

Reaction Score
Prefer shave before shower...that way, if there's any blood-letting, it has time to stop before getting dressed...
Shaving in the shower...just seems like unnecessary extension of shower time and waste of hot water...not that I'm an environmentalist or conservationist (I'm not...unless it's easy/convenient...and this seems to be)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Prefer shave before shower...that way, if there's any blood-letting, it has time to stop before getting dressed...
Shaving in the shower...just seems like unnecessary extension of shower time and waste of hot water.
Yeah I always shave before showering. I have tried shaving in the shower a few times and have done it when camping and get by with the shave-by-feel method but it's nothing I would prefer.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Shaving in the shower...just seems like unnecessary extension of shower time and waste of hot water...not that I'm an environmentalist or conservationist (I'm not...unless it's easy/convenient...and this seems to be)
The latter renders the former moot.

Reaction Score
In the early 80's, I worked for Bic and was required to take part in their shaving experiments. I'd shave 1/2 my face with a Bic shaver and the other 1/2 with a competitors blade which was ALWAYS better. Now, I shave every other day with a Mach 3 in the shower with no shaving cream. I will use the same blade for 3 to 4 months. I'll go without shaving if given a Bic to use.
Bic is absolutely HORRRIBLE! Lol!

Reaction Score
Shave in the shower Schick ST2 disposal razors w/ Edge Ultra Sensitive gel (white color not blue) blades last one to two months shaving everyday

Reaction Score

Just wondering - are you taking warfarin?

Reaction Score
The latter renders the former moot.
I can't believe there's 5 pages about this. But I'll play:
1. I've got very thin growth, but HAVE to shave after shower when skin/beard is softer, way easier and less friction. If I shave before or without showering its rougher/drier than shaving after showering with no shaving cream.
2. Definitely need to dry blades after shaving and keep in drier cabinet space, also don't keep future blades in moist bathroom
3. Gillette Mach something, I get 1-2 months (shaving 5-6 x week), again very light beard but sensitive skin

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
My barber is an 86 year old Italian guy who works a regular 40 hour week . He owns commercial and residential property with no mortgages so he doesn't have to work but like Fluedslipcon he is kind of cheap.
He makes his own shaving cream which he stores in a soapy looking gallon glass jug. The soapy liquid goes into one of those barber type electric dispensers which he bought used about 40 years ago. It seems to work pretty well.
Oh, the good thing is haircuts are only $10 but most of his customers are retired guys so he only knows how to cut grey hair.
Spoiler alert - the home made shaving cream is his jizzzz

I had serious problems with in grown hairs and breakouts after shaving. Finally realizing (wish it wasn't until after college) that it was the triple blades I was using. The third blade pulls and doesn't really cut.

Was getting straight razor shaves for a while which solved the issue but time and money where just too much. Switched over to single blade safety razors and using the Astra Platinums right now. I switch after 2 fulls shaves usually or until I start noticing some pull. Huge advocate for the safety razor with single quality blades. Blades are cheap enough that you can just throw out if you get one that is pulling.

Switching to a quality shaving cream (Kiehls, Art of Shaving, etc.) was also big. Additionally, I started making my own pre-shave oil as I got the ingredients from my barber shop. 2/3 mineral oil, 1/3 olive oil, and then drop some eucalyptus or lavendar oil in there.
I went this route a few years ago and never looked back. I tend to go with Edwin Jaegger shave soap. You can get blade samplers on amazon, I settled on Feather brand blades. They last 4-6 shaves for me and just perform better.

Reaction Score
Spoiler alert - the home made shaving cream is his jizzzz

I went this route a few years ago and never looked back. I tend to go with Edwin Jaegger shave soap. You can get blade samplers on amazon, I settled on Feather brand blades. They last 4-6 shaves for me and just perform better.
Spoiler alert made me lol.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I shave in the shower using a steam-proof mirror. I have a heavy beard, but by shaving just before I get out of the shower, the whiskers are so soft that my Gillette Fusion blades will easily last well over a month.

We re-did our bathroom last year and I had the contractor put a shaving niche in the shower wall, with a built-in steam-proof mirror and shelf.

I use the super-expensive Gillette Fusion Pro-Glide hundred-blade, fifty-menthol-strip razors that cost $1000 each. I should probably switch.

For lotion, I switch between the masculine-sounding Kiss My Face and Ernest Supplies, the former being very cheap and the latter being somewhat expensive. Both good.

Reaction Score
Yeah I always shave before showering. I have tried shaving in the shower a few times and have done it when camping and get by with the shave-by-feel method but it's nothing I would prefer.
I much prefer shaving in the shower. No mirror, just feel. The only thing I don't like is that the barbasol foam mixed with hair clogs my drain. I can clean it out pretty easily though. I will also use conditioner to shave about once a week and I think it's been good for my skin.

Reaction Score
I much prefer shaving in the shower. No mirror, just feel. The only thing I don't like is that the barbasol foam mixed with hair clogs my drain. I can clean it out pretty easily though. I will also use conditioner to shave about once a week and I think it's been good for my skin.

You shave before a shower, not during, not after, before. You get a cleaner shave, you don't miss anything and you use Barbesol shaving cream.

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You shave before a shower, not uring, not after, before. You get a cleaner shave, you don't miss anything an you use Barbesol shaving cream.

giphy.gif

Husky25

Reaction Score
You shave before a shower, not during, not after, before. You get a cleaner shave, you don't miss anything and you use Barbesol shaving cream.

Is that why you're so angry? ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom