OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Coincidentally, I ran out of shaving cream this morning so I just picked some up at the local pharmacy up the street while I was getting lunch. I don't like the cheap foamy ones and generally prefer the gels like Aveeno (which is what I got today). I noticed a fancy looking tube of shave cream next to it ("Le Labo") so I checked the price out of curiosity: $26.50!!!

Do your daughters steal your razors to shave their legs like mine does?

She uses all my shaving cream too. I went ballastic once when she used my Lancome high definition foam like the whole can over a 2 week period. 30 bucks. (it was a gift, I wouldnt spend 30 bucks on shaving cream it was pretty good stuff though).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

She uses all my shaving cream too. I went ballastic once when she used my Lancome high definition foam like the whole can over a 2 week period. 30 bucks. (it was a gift, I wouldnt spend 30 bucks on shaving cream it was pretty good stuff though).

One of the main reason I put the whole family on Harry's. Everyone draws from same pool of blades. Also got daughter to use some mango fruity shaving lotion so she wouldn't take mine.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

One of them grabbed my shaving stuff once.

Once.

Reaction Score
Hmm now I have to update my internal picture of '68.
11.jpg

Done.
Shorter hair. Although I might let it grow when I retire. ;^)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Fortunately those aren't the options I'm left with. I just like the easy maintenance of the bald look, although that may be an illusion. I'm not sure how hard it is to shave it daily.
No wonder you hit me with Bone China comment.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That's the key...if you leave them wet, it dulls the blade because you actually start getting the beginnings of rust formation. Even though you can't see it, it makes the blade cranky and that's what scrapes the bejeezus out of your face. The strip...the strip wears as you rub it along your face skin...it kinda shows how long you've used the blade, but is in no way a direct indication of how dull the blade is or isn't.

So great to have a message board like this where life tips and the important matters of the day (like beer and razor blades) are all in one place.
Dang. I can’t believe i’ve been throwing money down the drain all this time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One of them grabbed my shaving stuff once.

Once.
Dies ist verboten.

Talk about a bad shave. What are their leg hairs made from titanium?

Reaction Score
Anyone here use dollar shave club? i ordered some razors and you get a great price but the razors are meh. NOt horrible but notgreat either

ctchamps

Reaction Score

I can't believe you have this problem. I sold all the girl babies at birth. They're probably in Bangladesh making clothing for Ivanka.

Reaction Score
Anyone here use dollar shave club? i ordered some razors and you get a great price but the razors are meh. NOt horrible but notgreat either[/QUOT

I think they're Dorcos, which is what I have.... cheaper ordering from them. Been using the four blde version, but recently ordered the six for the little trimmer blade. I get a ton of use - I don't keep track - life's too short - but eadieas month. After a shower & I do dry the blade most of the time.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I read an ad that talked about a getting a year's worth of razors. It was twelve. Twelve? So it has to last a month? No way.

I can go a week on a blade but that's it and the last couple of days are a little sketchy. 5 days is probably the right number.

Just curious how long people use them for before getting a new one.
In the early 80's, I worked for Bic and was required to take part in their shaving experiments. I'd shave 1/2 my face with a Bic shaver and the other 1/2 with a competitors blade which was ALWAYS better. Now, I shave every other day with a Mach 3 in the shower with no shaving cream. I will use the same blade for 3 to 4 months. I'll go without shaving if given a Bic to use.

Reaction Score
Two to three weeks on one blade Gillette Fusion.

Just my face, not my ball_sack.

Reaction Score
I use Gillette Fusion razors and go at least a month (if not months) before changing the blade.
About 3 weeks for me with the Fusion and I have a heavy beard. Once the blue gel strip starts to fade, it’s time to change.

Reaction Score
Don't have the time to read this thread at the moment but if any of you are looking for a new hobby or just to save money, you ought to try wet shaving.

Wet shaving is basically using an old fashion double edge safety razor (or a straight razor). You lather up the soap using a brush, and then use a single blade. I made the switch last summer and won't look back. I actually enjoy shaving now; have far less irritation than I did with cartridges and get a closer shave. It's easy to spend a lot of money but if you don't go crazy with the hobby side of it, you can truly save a lot of money. 100 blades is like $20 tops, each one lasts 3 - 5 shaves. A tub of soap lasts like 6 months or longer depending on the type, high quality artisan soap is between $13 - 20. The razor will run you $20 - 50 but will last a lifetime. Balms and aftershaves are roughly $20 and last a few months but are completely optional.

So much better than blowing $30 bucks a month on cartridges.

Reaction Score
I have used Mach3 since I received a free one in the mail about 1997ish. Always was blown away that they sent me a free 8 dollar razor and blades in the mail, unsolicited.

About 1.5 years ago I discovered that Walmart sells an Equate brand. They advertise it as "sharper" than Mach3. They are about 1/4 of the price, as I recall, and they fit the Mach3 razor.
The reason that I have trouble recalling is because I bought about 20 and I still have most of them left. I have a fairly heavy beard and I shave 5 times a week, whole face.
They are blocky, and not sleek, but I'll be darned if they are not sharper - they are. I left my razor on a vacation and had to replace that 20 year old Mach3 razor. The Walmart equivalent was sold out, so I bought the Mach3, which came with 2 blades. First thought upon using - "daaamn, these blades don't feel sharp."

Use Barbasol. Inherited the can from my grandfather, who inherited it from his father before him (not my joke, but I love it).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Safety razor.

You go throw about 20 blades a year which costs you about nothing.

Or just slap a little vodka on the ol’ stubble and give ‘er a pass or two with a blow torch.

Baby smooth.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If you rub shaving creme on your mirror, it won't fog up in the shower.

I get a good month out of my Quattro. And I love shaving in the shower.

Unlike Kramer, I don't wash my produce there.

Reaction Score
I shave whenever my wife starts telling me I look like a homeless man. As in if I don't start shaving I'm going to be homeless.

I buy the cheapest disposable razors I can find, somewhere in the under $5 category. I work each razor until my face starts to bleed from 5 or more places. My motto is if you can't hack the situation you don't belong in this world. I can go five or six months with one razor. I keep working those babies because I want to make sure landfills will be available in the future for you young whippersnappers.

I do use shaving cream. Foam. If the can costs more than two dollars I'm not buying it.

Why would you do this? Are you that cheap that you want to look bad and hack your face up? I don’t think shaving has to be this super expensive exercise. Why stick to the bloody, painful option?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Gillette double edge avg. once a week, sometimes an extra day or two. Buy them by the bag in Walmart.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread. I went to a basic cordless norelco many many years ago. I keep telling myself I should get a new one because I’ve had it for so long (10 years maybe?). But it keeps working great so I’ve stuck with it. I’ve changed the blades on it couple of times over the years. Yeah, it is not as close as a blade but who cares? I shave every morning. It’s quick, easy, very comfortable, not messy, and inexpensive.

Reaction Score
Shower shaving I can’t do bc of the mirror. I’ve yet to find a solid mirror for in the shower that works for me.

But I’ve always used a hot water/hot towel on my skin to open pores first. Then after you shave, use a little cold water to close em up and freshen.

Fogless Shower Mirror for Perfect Shaving, Tweezing and more

GF bought one as a xmas present a couple years ago after listening to me complain for several years how all fogless shower mirrors suck. I think she got it on Groupon for cheaper then above, but it works really well. It has a reservoir that you fill with your hot shower water which heats up the mirror and prevents fogging. I didn't bother affixing to the shower wall because it looks tacky IMO, so I just bring it into the shower when I need (I have a beard so I only trim up like twice a week). It's worked out really well.

Reaction Score
My barber is an 86 year old Italian guy who works a regular 40 hour week . He owns commercial and residential property with no mortgages so he doesn't have to work but like Fluedslipcon he is kind of cheap.
He makes his own shaving cream which he stores in a soapy looking gallon glass jug. The soapy liquid goes into one of those barber type electric dispensers which he bought used about 40 years ago. It seems to work pretty well.
Oh, the good thing is haircuts are only $10 but most of his customers are retired guys so he only knows how to cut grey hair.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I literally just rub my hands on my face to feel for when i miss spots.

I can’t handle that - it would take me longer to panic and fix any missed spots.

That weird little stuff is my OCD kryptonite.

I had a buddy in law school that missed chunks of hair every day and it drove / still drives me nuts.

But I’m getting a lot of good tips here...I’ve grown a beard since the end of the HS season and haven’t done more than trim, shaving wears me out. Maybe I’m scarred from having to shave every day in HS years back.

Reaction Score
I've been bearded for years so I only have to worry about my cheek lines and the bottom of my neck. I use Mach3 blades and the "sharpen your razor blades on an old pair of jeans" trick and usually get 6-8 weeks out of each blade.

I tried Harry's last summer on vacation. Threw it in the trash halfway through my shave. Maybe I got a lemon? It felt like your average disposable blade.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom