OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have a relatively thick beard, but shave down otherwise I break out. I typically shave every other day (even though I should shave every day). I get 2 months out of Harry's, but I'm not a big fan, and it's a challenge that pushes me to the two months. After I finish the batch I bought I'll go back to Gillette and get 2+ months. I think I'm an anomaly. I just don't care about the comfort as long as the hair is gone and I'm not cut or irritated. Blades are pretty expensive and I figure I've saved hundreds of dollars over the years.
I was thinking about Harry's and asked my wife, who does the shopping, what we spend on razors. She tells me that she does some couponing voodoo and we get them for free, or close enough to free (like a cent or two) for a package of 4-6 razors.

She may be shoplifting them.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
1-2 weeks? We're talking razor blades with the little moisture strip on the top right? I obviously use the comfort of the shave as an indicator as well, but usually I don't worry about it until that strip starts to wear out. Maybe I have sturdy face skin, but I often find myself using a high quality blade cartridge for over a month before switching. I keep a trim beard, and shave some small areas of my face daily, shave the neck every few days.

While we're on topic, anybody use Harrys? I've tried them long ago, and the lack of a detailing blade made me not stick with them. Last year I noticed they now had the detail blade so I tried again, and that thing was chaffing me bad. Anyone else had this experience? Seems a lot of people use them but the discount isn't worth the razorburn to me

That’s about what I do when I use those types of blades. If you use a regular blade, probably looking at 4-5 days, 3-4 uses then toss, as @CL82 said originally.

That strip actually is a solid indicator.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Pace is also a very cheap blade brand.

It's not as quality as say a gillette or a schick, but the price is pretty freaking good.

I have it as my backup blade, and my travel blade.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
6 months, give or take. I've been using the Gillette Sensor Xcel III for about 20 years (yes they still make refills). The moisturizing strip is liable to fall out of the casing before the blades go dull and a cartridge last me about a year and a half or so.

The key is to dry the blades.

CL82

Reaction Score
6 months, give or take. I've been using the Gillette Sensor Xcel III for about 20 years (yes they still make refills). The moisturizing strip is liable to fall out of the casing before the blades go dull and a cartridge last me about a year and a half or so.

1hozrp.jpg

Seriously?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Seriously?
Keep in mind, some of this is also attributable to "training" your skin to adapt to whatever method you use, which may require some discomfort. At this point in my life, I'm not interested in experimenting with certain things if there is a downside risk or you need to accept lower quality. Skin care is one of them.

Reaction Score
I use BIC hybrid 3s. Shave every other day. They are really inconsistent. Sometimes I need a new blade after a week and sometimes I'm good for months. My current blade is 2 months old and still fine.

CL82

Reaction Score
I use BIC hybrid 3s. Shave every other day. They are really inconsistent. Sometimes I need a new blade after a week and sometimes I'm good for months. My current blade is 2 months old and still fine.
Agree re inconsistency of Bics. Sometimes they are fine, sometimes they nick the heck out me. I've passed on them for that reason.

Reaction Score
Here's a tip.

Always thoroughly dry the blades after each use. The residual water, especially under the safety top, acts as a dulling agent. I learned this trick fairly recently and it helps and I have been shaving for 35 years.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Seriously?

Yup. Water corrodes metal and will do tons more damage than stubble, no matter how "thick" your facial hair is.

I also shave in the shower after I wash my face so my skin and facial hair are already pretty soft, before I apply the gel. Ever compare trimming your finger nails after a shower vs. not? Same concept.

Reaction Score
Agree re inconsistency of Bics. Sometimes they are fine, sometimes they nick the heck out me. I've passed on them for that reason.
They're dirt cheap which is why I buy them. They go on sale for a new handle and something like 7 blades for $5 and I can usually get almost a year out of the set.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Here's a tip.

Always thoroughly dry the blades after each use. The residual water, especially under the safety top, acts as a dulling agent. I learned this trick fairly recently and it helps and I have been shaving for 35 years.

Ok, I'll give it a try. How do you dry the blades?

CL82

Reaction Score
Yup. Water corrodes metal and will do tons more damage than stubble, no matter how "thick" your facial hair is.

I also shave in the shower after I wash my face so my skin and facial hair are already pretty soft, before I apply the gel. Ever compare trimming your finger nails after a shower vs. not? Same concept.
So how do you dry it? I rinse it clean, tap it twice and put it back in the cabinet.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So how do you dry it? I rinse it clean, tap it twice and put it back in the cabinet.
Run a towel from top to bottom (non-cutting edge) and rest the blade on a tissue or a few squares of folded Tyler Phommachanh, which will wick up whatever moisture doesn't evaporate over the next 23 1/2 hours until you shave again. Again, I shave in the shower, which already guards against nicks and is comfortable in it's own right.

Reaction Score
I also shave in the shower and have been using Dollar Shave Club blades for about 2 years. They last me 7-10 days. I generally got three weeks out of my Mach 3s before that, but a package of 5 DSC blades is less than 2 Gillettes

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Shower shaving I can’t do bc of the mirror. I’ve yet to find a solid mirror for in the shower that works for me.

But I’ve always used a hot water/hot towel on my skin to open pores first. Then after you shave, use a little cold water to close em up and freshen.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Shower shaving I can’t do bc of the mirror. I’ve yet to find a solid mirror for in the shower that works for me.

But I’ve always used a hot water/hot towel on my skin to open pores first. Then after you shave, use a little cold water to close em up and freshen.

I literally just rub my hands on my face to feel for when i miss spots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom