OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one?

Reaction Score
I was thinking about Harry's and asked my wife, who does the shopping, what we spend on razors. She tells me that she does some couponing voodoo and we get them for free, or close enough to free (like a cent or two) for a package of 4-6 razors.

She may be shoplifting them.
I've been using Harry's for a couple of years and like them a lot. Their shave gel is the best I've ever used. I change the blade once a month because I have a schedule of things I do around the first of the month even though they are probably fine to use longer. Overall I think they stay sharper than Gillette blades longer.
Harry's owns their own factory in Germany and their customer service is outstanding. Cost for blades comes down to about $2.00 per blade. They have an a trial offer for $8 that includes razor, blades and gel with free shipping. You can also buy Harry's at Target.
Dollar Shave Club (recently bought by Unilever) is also pretty good from what I hear but their cost per blade is in the $3.50 range. Harry's and Dollar Shave Club have forced Gillette to drop their prices significantly which means they were raping us for years.

Reaction Score
I bought the Philips/Norelco OneBlade and I love it. I don't shave often (work at home) so am frequently shaggy looking. This thing does a really good job of cleaning me up. Only time I use a razor is when I want to look perfect (wedding, interview). After using the OneBlade I look like I would if I razored that morning and now it's the end of the day. I really like it.

Really? I find the one-blade to be utter horsesht. I use it as a trimmer just fine, but that thing flat out does not "shave" at all. To me you can get a sloppy tight trim and nothing more. I don't understand how people use that as their razor, are you just always looking sloppy? Like you said you use a 'real' razor when there's a reason to be truly clean shaven, but my beard isn't that thick and I still find that thing to be subpar

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Really? I find the one-blade to be utter horsesht. I use it as a trimmer just fine, but that thing flat out does not "shave" at all. To me you can get a sloppy tight trim and nothing more. I don't understand how people use that as their razor, are you just always looking sloppy? Like you said you use a 'real' razor when there's a reason to be truly clean shaven, but my beard isn't that thick and I still find that thing to be subpar
My first use wasn't very good. But once I learned to go against the grain, I really have been thrilled with it. It's pretty rare I bust out a real razor these days. It does everything I need and the blade, if that's what we call it, has lasted me many months now. I don't recall when I bought it, but I'm still on my first blade. It's gotta be at least 6 months.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I read an ad that talked about a getting a year's worth of razors. It was twelve. Twelve? So it has to last a month? No way.

I can go a week on a blade but that's it and the last couple of days are a little sketchy. 5 days is probably the right number.

Just curious how long people use them for before getting a new one.
I order Harrys. Shave 6 times/week. Blade lasts about a month.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Been using Harry's for 2-3 years now. Converted my wife and daughter to them as well.
I use Cremo shave lotion.

Shave each morning during work week and usually take weekends off. Give the dome a clean look about twice a week.

I go about two weeks on a blade. I know it's time for a change when I can feel it pulling when I shave my head.

Used to order online but now Target carries Harry's products and I get then there.

Reaction Score
Been using Harry's for 2-3 years now. Converted my wife and daughter to them as well.

Shave each morning during work week and usually take weekends off. Give the dome a clean look about twice a week.

I go about two weeks on a blade. I know it's time for a change when I can feel it pulling when I shave my head.

Used to order online but now Target carries Harry's products and I get then there.

Joe Cremo has his own face lotion!?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I read an ad that talked about a getting a year's worth of razors. It was twelve. Twelve? So it has to last a month? No way.

I can go a week on a blade but that's it and the last couple of days are a little sketchy. 5 days is probably the right number.

Just curious how long people use them for before getting a new one.
I use a double edge razor and it lasts a week. The Quattro's last a little longer.

Reaction Score
I use Dorco. At one time I used Gillette Fusion but thought they were expensive. I tried Dorco, got the same shave but they lasted longer. They are always on sale. I use the Pace 6.
www.dorcousa.com

I also use a shaving brush and shaving soap.

Reaction Score
I've been using Harry's for a couple of years and like them a lot. Their shave gel is the best I've ever used. I change the blade once a month because I have a schedule of things I do around the first of the month even though they are probably fine to use longer. Overall I think they stay sharper than Gillette blades longer.
Harry's owns their own factory in Germany and their customer service is outstanding. Cost for blades comes down to about $2.00 per blade. They have an a trial offer for $8 that includes razor, blades and gel with free shipping. You can also buy Harry's at Target.
Dollar Shave Club (recently bought by Unilever) is also pretty good from what I hear but their cost per blade is in the $3.50 range. Harry's and Dollar Shave Club have forced Gillette to drop their prices significantly which means they were raping us for years.

I've been using Harry's since its beginning and I find their blades so so. The shave gel is awesome. I give myself the James Bond treatment in the tub and just pour buckets of very hot water over my head and that really softens my beard and any lather you use will work with just about any blade. I've been doing that for over 25 years and I'm not about to change

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Joe Cremo has his own face lotion!?

IMG_20180405_115524.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I shave whenever my wife starts telling me I look like a homeless man. As in if I don't start shaving I'm going to be homeless.

I buy the cheapest disposable razors I can find, somewhere in the under $5 category. I work each razor until my face starts to bleed from 5 or more places. My motto is if you can't hack the situation you don't belong in this world. I can go five or six months with one razor. I keep working those babies because I want to make sure landfills will be available in the future for you young whippersnappers.

I do use shaving cream. Foam. If the can costs more than two dollars I'm not buying it.

Reaction Score
I shave whenever my wife starts telling me I look like a homeless man. As in if I don't start shaving I'm going to be homeless.

I buy the cheapest disposable razors I can find, somewhere in the under $5 category. I work each razor until my face starts to bleed from 5 or more places. My motto is if you can't hack the situation you don't belong in this world. I can go five or six months with one razor. I keep working those babies because I want to make sure landfills will be available in the future for you young whippersnappers.

I do use shaving cream. Foam. If the can costs more than two dollars I'm not buying it.
Based upon your overall cheapness it is not likely a shave will get rid of the homeless look.:)

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I was gonna mention Cremo in the Joe Cremo thread. It always comes full circle.

Reaction Score
Here's a tip.

Always thoroughly dry the blades after each use. The residual water, especially under the safety top, acts as a dulling agent. I learned this trick fairly recently and it helps and I have been shaving for 35 years.

That's the key...if you leave them wet, it dulls the blade because you actually start getting the beginnings of rust formation. Even though you can't see it, it makes the blade cranky and that's what scrapes the bejeezus out of your face. The strip...the strip wears as you rub it along your face skin...it kinda shows how long you've used the blade, but is in no way a direct indication of how dull the blade is or isn't.

So great to have a message board like this where life tips and the important matters of the day (like beer and razor blades) are all in one place.

Reaction Score

Luckily my wife accepted my beard 38 years ago. I trim the underbrush now and then. Doubleedge blades last years.

Reaction Score
I shave in the shower using a steam-proof mirror. I have a heavy beard, but by shaving just before I get out of the shower, the whiskers are so soft that my Gillette Fusion blades will easily last well over a month.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Coincidentally, I ran out of shaving cream this morning so I just picked some up at the local pharmacy up the street while I was getting lunch. I don't like the cheap foamy ones and generally prefer the gels like Aveeno (which is what I got today). I noticed a fancy looking tube of shave cream next to it ("Le Labo") so I checked the price out of curiosity: $26.50!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Luckily my wife accepted my beard 38 years ago. I trim the underbrush now and then. Doubleedge blades last years.
Hmm now I have to update my internal picture of '68.
11.jpg

Done.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cremo is awesome. I use it combined with Harry's as well. Shave 6 times/wk and can buy everything at Target.

I started using Cremo after using Harry's shave lotion that came with my son's starter pack. Like how Harry's worked on face but didn't like price. I get 4+ months out of a tube of Cremo.

Reaction Score
I wish I could be one of those guys who look sharp with a shaved head. If I did it people would say, oh, CL82's in chemo.
Trust me, you look a lot worse with a comb over or with the dick vitale. Shave it and keep a goatee or beard edged up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Trust me, you look a lot worse with a comb over or with the dick vitale. Shave it and keep a goatee or beard edged up.
Fortunately those aren't the options I'm left with. I just like the easy maintenance of the bald look, although that may be an illusion. I'm not sure how hard it is to shave it daily.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom