OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Blade users - How many times do you use a blade before changing to a new one?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Safety razor.

You go throw about 20 blades a year which costs you about nothing.

Or just slap a little vodka on the ol’ stubble and give ‘er a pass or two with a blow torch.

Baby smooth.
Why vodka? Just curious.

Reaction Score
As a long time shaver with a two bladed safety razor here is what I have found as THE best set up:

1) Merkur SS razor German nice balance, about $35 outstanding quality , look at the three types

2) Feather blades, super sharp very consistent and not expensive the best I have used and I tried alot. Avoid Merkur blades great razors so so blades.

3) Taylor of Old Bond shaving creams .The tops anywhere. Sandlewood is the classic. Other scents are also excellent. Creamy rich and smooth . No razor burn with Taylor's.

4) The brush. Look for silver tipped badger from China. They aren't expensive. Don't waste your money on fancy handles. The bristles is where it's all happening

THE best shave you'll ever get at home. Good luck and smooth shaving!!

Reaction Score
As a long time shaver with a two bladed safety razor here is what I have found as THE best set up:

1) Merkur SS razor German nice balance, about $35 outstanding quality , look at the three types

2) Feather blades, super sharp very consistent and not expensive the best I have used and I tried alot. Avoid Merkur blades great razors so so blades.

3) Taylor of Old Bond shaving creams .The tops anywhere. Sandlewood is the classic. Other scents are also excellent. Creamy rich and smooth . No razor burn with Taylor's.

4) The brush. Look for silver tipped badger from China. They aren't expensive. Don't waste your money on fancy handles. The bristles is where it's all happening

THE best shave you'll ever get at home. Good luck and smooth shaving!!

I was gifted some things from Art of Shaving this past holiday season, including their sandalwood shaving cream. Gotta admit I love the stuff just wish it wasn't overpriced, but once I run out I'm for sure trying TOBS next for sandalwood.

Recently I've gotten several of soaps from Barrister and Mann and Stirling, if you haven't tried them you really should, B&M especially.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I was gifted some things from Art of Shaving this past holiday season, including their sandalwood shaving cream. Gotta admit I love the stuff just wish it wasn't overpriced, but once I run out I'm for sure trying TOBS next for sandalwood.

Recently I've gotten several of soaps from Barrister and Mann and Stirling, if you haven't tried them you really should, B&M especially.

Stirling is the among the best out there, especially for the price.

Reaction Score
Stirling is the among the best out there, especially for the price.

Any scents you recommend? I've picked up executive man and sharp dressed man and love em both.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Because gin reeks?
"Always drink gin with a mark, kid. He can't tell if you cut it."

Always blowtorch shave with vodka, because the blue flame looks cool on your cheeks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Been meaning to thank the posters in this thread who emphasized the importance of drying the razor after you shave. Somehow in more than 35 years of daily shaving I never got that memo. Been drying my blade since this thread started and I am still using the same blade I was using then, which I had already been using at least a week or two at the time. Pretty amazing--by far the longest I have ever used a blade, and it's still going strong. Can't believe how much it is extending the blade life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Been meaning to thank the posters in this thread who emphasized the importance of drying the razor after you shave. Somehow in more than 35 years of daily shaving I never got that memo. Been drying my blade since this thread started and I am still using the same blade I was using then, which I had already been using at least a week or two at the time. Pretty amazing--by far the longest I have ever used a blade, and it's still going strong. Can't believe how much it is extending the blade life.
I tried with a blade but it didn't work out. Truth be told, that blade's shave wasn't great from the start so it may not have been a good test. I have found that you can go 10 days pretty easily, though.

Back when we started this thread, I mentioned it to Mrs. CL82 and she tells me that the most she pays for blades is $1 for 4 and that more often than not, she actually gets money back for buying then. Yeah you read that right, she gets more back than she spends on them. That disincentivized me from stretching my blade use. I was up to about 10 days per blade but now I am going back to weekly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom