OT: Best hot dogs | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Best hot dogs

Reaction Score
If you're going to grill a brat why would you pick Johnsonville over any of 100+ local sausages?

That being said, inspiration struck late yesterday afternoon and local butchers were out of the question. So, I got a pack of the Johnsonville Chorizo, took one sausage link and mixed it with a pound of lean ground beef. Grilled up some chorizo and beef burgers. Tasted awesome. Nice and juicy and the seasoning in the chorizo meant no additional seasoning was needed for the beef.
Probably because he lives in CT. and brats aren't found locally in most places.

Reaction Score
I've been eating hot dogs for over 70 years. I've been to Blackies, Doogies, Glenwood, Costco,Pinks in Hollywood and many other places and consider myself an aficionado of the hot dog. IMHO the hummel hot dog with a natural casing served with Kosciusko mustard, sweet relish and sauerkraut is as good as it gets. Anyone who puts ketchup on a hot dog has been brought up improperly. I can't remember the reference but I am sure there is something in the book of Deuteronomy that prohibits ketchup on a hot dog. :)
Hummel's are ok, try Black Bear hot dogs, they sell them at ShopRite. They are the best, they're made for Shop Rite by Dietz & Watson.

Dave's Cupboard: The Dogs of Summer 3 - Black Bear Natural Casing Franks

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We get Maple Leaf natural casing hot dogs. I grill them. Agree with @August_West to some extent. When we make ordinary packaged Ball Park franks, like if feeding several kids, those get boiled.

As for condiments, that's personal and there is no right or wrong. Onions make me ill and I detest mustard and relish both. As an employee of DQ in Manchester during high school, I strongly prefer chili if available. Otherwise I make do with ketchup.

Heading to Chicago next week, where I can try their "superior to NY in every way" hot dogs, and this board's favorite...deep dish pizza that some insist isn't really pizza.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Heading to Chicago next week, where I can try their "superior to NY in every way" hot dogs, and this board's favorite...deep dish pizza that some insist isn't really pizza.

If you can't eat it with your hands, it's not pizza. It's a casserole.

But I'll defend Chicago dogs to the death, even if I despise the green relish.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you can't eat it with your hands, it's not pizza. It's a casserole.

But I'll defend Chicago dogs to the death, even if I despise the green relish.

I have eaten Chicago style pizza with my hands. Just saying. Many regular pies also fall apart if you pick them up.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Where's @upstater? We need Buffalo represented ...

Our only question is "Wardynski's or Sahlen's?"

The answer to best grilled hot dog should probably be one of the two.

Reaction Score
Where's @upstater? We need Buffalo represented ...

Our only question is "Wardynski's or Sahlen's?"

The answer to best grilled hot dog should probably be one of the two.

I don't care who makes them as long as Ted's is grilling it over charcoal.

I will say Wardynski's only because my daughter plays on the rival of the Western New York Flash soccer club which is owned by Sahlen's.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I don't care who makes them as long as Ted's is grilling it over charcoal.

I will say Wardynski's only because my daughter plays on the rival of the Western New York Flash soccer club which is owned by Sahlen's.

Thank you sir.

I tend to go with Sahlen's out of habit, and when I think summer time hot dogs, I think Sahlen's grilled.

But I don't know, Wardynski's may in fact be better. My Polish step father certainly prefers them.

Good luck to your daughter, obviously you know the Sahlen's park is the biggest soccer place in the area, so I assume they're well represented. I doubt Wardynski's has a high level soccer program, lol.

Reaction Score
Had a white hot dog at Heid's in Liverpool, NY once a long time ago. Which is supposedly a famous place. It was pretty good but haven't had one since. So I'm guessing this is an upper NY state thing.
What you had at Heid's and what Mau likely had at Oak Hill are Hofmanns. Traditional central New York fare. The white hots have a kick to them - they are awesome. The others are "german franks" - very good as well. Easily the most popular up here...no sense in any other distributor even trying. They would get my vote as the best.

Love the Happanewicz reference though. Their kielbasa and sausages are crazy good. Great polish meat market. Their pierogies are awesome as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love the Happanewicz reference though. Their kielbasa and sausages are crazy good. Great polish meat market. Their pierogies are awesome as well.
I'm convinced that our parties continue to draw as well as they do because everyone wants the grilled Hapanowicz kielbasa. He now brings a few extra rings each visit for friends and family who have standing orders.

Reaction Score
We get Maple Leaf natural casing hot dogs. I grill them. Agree with @August_West to some extent. When we make ordinary packaged Ball Park franks, like if feeding several kids, those get boiled.

As for condiments, that's personal and there is no right or wrong. Onions make me ill and I detest mustard and relish both. As an employee of DQ in Manchester during high school, I strongly prefer chili if available. Otherwise I make do with ketchup.

Pequod's is really the only deep dish worth getting and I wouldn't seek out any hot dogs, if you're going down that road get an italian beef combo (beef, with an italian sausage w/sweet and hot peppers, get it wet or dipped.) Or go to one of the really good burger places. Get Mexican food, we do it a million times better than the East Coast. Recommendations if needed.

Reaction Score
Love Hummels, but my favorite CT dog is Rosols in New Britain, same company that makes them for Blackies .

Reaction Score
I used to love Jimmy's of Savin Rock, I think they called it the split hot dog. They probably went out of business before most of you were born.

Still there, though dogs are not like they used to be. Where do you live?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I heard that the Cricket is open in a Stratford. Anyone try it?

Long lines so far. From what I've heard, the lines are deathly slow because every costomer seems to have a story to share with the owners about eating their when they were a kid. Trying to get something to eat is currently a giant social fuster cluck.

From the few who've waited it out, the consensus is that it wasn't bad, but not worth the wait or the price.

Reaction Score
Thank you sir.

I tend to go with Sahlen's out of habit, and when I think summer time hot dogs, I think Sahlen's grilled.

But I don't know, Wardynski's may in fact be better. My Polish step father certainly prefers them.

Good luck to your daughter, obviously you know the Sahlen's park is the biggest soccer place in the area, so I assume they're well represented. I doubt Wardynski's has a high level soccer program, lol.

Come on man. Buffalo is Western NY. Those brands are meaningless in the eastern part of the state so don't cast those wieners upon us. The only way I know Sahlen's is because we work with the athletic program of schools in Rochester that routinely play in Sahlen Stadium - other than that they aren't in Eastern NY or the North Country.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thumbs up for the Ferraro's Big Bites with natural casing. Even charred and blistered from my screw-up overheating the grill, they were moist and tasty. Mrs. 8893 had already purchased standard New England hot dog buns and I made do with that, but it was ridiculously small for that beast. On the plus side, though, it allowed me to taste more of the dog, which was a good thing.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
My feelings changed from pity for your adult use of ketchup to admiration for your courage

Unfortunately, I live in a veritable hot dog wasteland. About the only ones I can get are the national packaged brands, or maybe Boar's Head.

As for ketchup, I like almost anything on hot dogs. Jalapeno mustard, extra sharp cheddar cheese, onions (raw or grilled), sauerkraut, hot relishes, chili, pickles, ketchup, hot sauce, etc. What really got me was about 10 years ago I went to lunch with a friend of mine who's originally from northern Louisiana. I put ketchup on a cheeseburger and he almost flipped out. "Why would anyone put ketchup on a cheeseburger?", he asked. He acted like I was committing a mortal sin. I've never seen anyone react that way to ketchup on a cheeseburger. I can't imagine how he would have reacted if I had put ketchup on a hot dog. It's not like I was pouring it on a filet mignon steak. I don't eat at McDonald's anymore, but didn't they used to automatically put ketchup, mustard and pickles on most of their burgers, unless you told them not to?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I put ketchup on a cheeseburger and he almost flipped out. "Why would anyone put ketchup on a cheeseburger?", he asked. He acted like I was committing a mortal sin. I've never seen anyone react that way to ketchup on a cheeseburger. I can't imagine how he would have reacted if I had put ketchup on a hot dog. It's not like I was pouring it on a filet mignon steak. I don't eat at McDonald's anymore, but didn't they used to automatically put ketchup, mustard and pickles on most of their burgers, unless you told them not to?

You must be new to the OT food threads.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom