OT: Best hot dogs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best hot dogs

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No.

On cart dogs Im strictly Spicy brown mustard and onions. Nothing else. Certainly nothing that in anyway would resemble Ketchup.

The real onion sauce is nothing like ketchup. I can't believe you won't do that but consider Chicago green relish a "must", given it's mostly sweet pickles, which are awful on everything.

Reaction Score
The real onion sauce is nothing like ketchup. I can't believe you won't do that but consider Chicago green relish a "must", given it's mostly sweet pickles, which are awful on everything.
You both are doing it wrong. A proper cart dog is kraut, spicy brown mustard and onions. If they have it, slather chili on that sucker.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You both are doing it wrong. A proper cart dog is kraut, spicy brown mustard and onions. If they have it, slather chili on that sucker.

A Chicago dog is good eating. And while a dill pickle spear, tomatoes and tiny pickled peppers may sound odd, the textures and flavors work really well. Preferably w/o the atomic green relish. It's my preferred way to make dogs at home (admittedly I also have a fondness for kimchi as a condiment).

Besides, at most northeastern carts, the chili is pretty sketchy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Is this place related to Ferraro's "The Meat King" that recently opened in Madison, CT? Right near Hammonassett Ford on rt. 1.
Yes. Also in Meriden, but both branches much smaller.

Grand Avenue store is a meat-heavy supermarket w/deli counter, prepared foods, Best yet genetic brand, undistinguished produce, volume discounts barked out by the butchers, and (my favorite) one-shot crazy closeout deals on near-expired perishables, as well as so many meat products that my legs sometimes buckle a bit when I'm in the middle of it all.

Reaction Score
Man, you guys are missing out big-time. Best dogs out there since Roessllers went out of business are Deitz & Watson natural casing dogs, either pork & beef or all beef. I'm partial to the pork and beef. You can get them in Shop-Rite under the Black Bear brand (D&W's Shop Rite label). Grote & Weigel and Hummel's are ok, but once you've had Black Bear there's no going back. Lol

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
best friend seafood.

Know what you mean, but it reads like auto correct thinks you ate your pet clam.

For the first few years after they closed the hot dog stand, you could order dogs, lobster rolls and fries at a counter in the lobby of the restaurant. And at least in the warmer months there was usually a line out the door waiting to order. I guess it was costing them sit-down customers, because eventually they shut that down. Sad day.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Had a dog last night with roasted red peppers and fresh ground romano cheese. It was outstanding. Not sure it would make my top 3, but it was awfully good.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Know what you mean, but it reads like auto correct thinks you ate your pet clam.

For the first few years after they closed the hot dog stand, you could order dogs, lobster rolls and fries at a counter in the lobby of the restaurant. And at least in the warmer months there was usually a line out the door waiting to order. I guess it was costing them sit-down customers, because eventually they shut that down. Sad day.

Seems the decision to Franchise was the beginning of the end. They had one in Hamden too.

Reaction Score
If you are going to grill, why the hell would you pick a hot dog instead of a Johnsonville Brat?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you are going to grill, why the hell would you pick a hot dog instead of a Johnsonville Brat?

If you're going to grill a brat why would you pick Johnsonville over any of 100+ local sausages?

That being said, inspiration struck late yesterday afternoon and local butchers were out of the question. So, I got a pack of the Johnsonville Chorizo, took one sausage link and mixed it with a pound of lean ground beef. Grilled up some chorizo and beef burgers. Tasted awesome. Nice and juicy and the seasoning in the chorizo meant no additional seasoning was needed for the beef.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ferraro's Market in New Haven - I put these just behind Hummels and as good as Muckes/G&W. The Big Bites are great but won't fit on New England style rolls without breaking them!

View attachment 23190

If you're going to grill a brat why would you pick Johnsonville over any of 100+ local sausages?

That being said, inspiration struck late yesterday afternoon and local butchers were out of the question. So, I got a pack of the Johnsonville Chorizo, took one sausage link and mixed it with a pound of lean ground beef. Grilled up some chorizo and beef burgers. Tasted awesome. Nice and juicy and the seasoning in the chorizo meant no additional seasoning was needed for the beef.

We are going with Ferraro's Big Bites (w/ casing) and some local sausages, in addition to some sirloin burgers from Ferraro's.

@huskymedic , any recs for rolls that will fit those beasts?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We are going with Ferraro's Big Bites (w/ casing) and some local sausages, in addition to some sirloin burgers from Ferraro's.

I tried them 2 nights ago (they were great) but yeah a normal hot dog bun doesn't cut it... I'm curious too.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Side note - really appreciate the tip on Ferraro's. Hot dogs, kielbasa, hot Italian sausage have all been great. Ribs, pork shoulder, and a chuck roast went on the smoker yesterday - all awesome too. I'll definitely be picking up more meat there.

Reaction Score

I move into the split sub/torpedo roll category for them. Just ones that aren't too dense because the amount of bread/dog ratio can change (Calise makes good one).

Reaction Score
Side note - really appreciate the tip on Ferraro's. Hot dogs, kielbasa, hot Italian sausage have all been great. Ribs, pork shoulder, and a chuck roast went on the smoker yesterday - all awesome too. I'll definitely be picking up more meat there.

The satellite stores are nice options - especially if you pre-plan and order other products on line that they may not have in the smaller version stores. As @Hans Sprungfeld mentioned above - if you really want an adventure - head to the Grand Avenue store in New Haven. You can buy just about any edible (and non-edible) part of a pig, chicken, lamb, cow or steer. Just avoid the first and 15th of the month - it can be a zoo!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't be afraid to try their seafood, either. I have gotten very good swordfish from them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The satellite stores are nice option - especially if you pre-plan and order other products on line that they may not have in the smaller version stores. As @Hans Sprungfeld mentioned above - if you really want an adventure - head to the Grand Avenue store in New Haven. You can buy just about any edible (and non-edible) part of a pig, chicken, lamb, cow or steer. Just avoid the first and 15th of the month - it can be a zoo!
Do they sell caul fat?

Reaction Score
I've been eating hot dogs for over 70 years. I've been to Blackies, Doogies, Glenwood, Costco,Pinks in Hollywood and many other places and consider myself an aficionado of the hot dog. IMHO the hummel hot dog with a natural casing served with Kosciusko mustard, sweet relish and sauerkraut is as good as it gets. Anyone who puts ketchup on a hot dog has been brought up improperly. I can't remember the reference but I am sure there is something in the book of Deuteronomy that prohibits ketchup on a hot dog. :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can't remember the reference but I am sure there is something in the book of Deuteronomy that prohibits ketchup on a hot dog. :)

There is, but that's Old Testament.

Reaction Score
Do they sell caul fat?

I believe so... they sell tripe and a variety of casings (and organs). That's one I would call ahead to be sure they have in store on a specific day. They will order for you if not.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There is, but that's Old Testament.

Exactly. Much like no one knows or cares who the second person was on the moon or who was the second person to break the 4:00 minute mile, everyone knows Jesus' first miracle was water in to wine at the wedding. His second miracle? Putting ketchup on a kosher dog 2 minutes later when everyone went to the vase for wine. True story. I think.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I will not be ketchup shamed!! I like my hot dogs with ketchup mustard and relish and I don't care who knows it!! :)
Heinz ketchup and Boar's Head Delicatessen Style Mustard (w/ white wine and horseradish).

If kraut, basic chili (no beans) and/or cheese are available I will add them, too.

Reaction Score
I like your cooking m
No not a crock pot, sitting all day ..but a steam cart... or 20 minutes in covered water that just boiled is the absolute best way for dogs like Hebrew Nationals, Sabretts and Nathans. Not debatable.

A Hebrew National steamed is WAY better than a Hebrew National on the grill.
Just like a Natural Casing Hummel would be disgusting boiled/steamed, it HAS to be on the grill.

Its like using tools man. Use the proper tool for the task at hand.

I like your cooking method---I prefer Kunzlers---great snap, and beefy---however, I grew up eating steam cart hot dogs in Terryville ct (strange place for a cart huh?) I love them with condiments chopped onions, golden mustard, and relish---or just mustard and sour kraut--without a condiment I'm not much into hotdogs.
In this area of Virginia--hotdogs are omni-present for 1.50 bucks--though not much on condiments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom