OT: Best hot dogs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best hot dogs

Reaction Score
Speaking of hot dogs I was lucky enough to play golf at Oak Hill in Rochester NY this week and at the turn was asked what I'd like to eat as they call it in on the tee at 9. I said something quick like a dog and the member I played with asked me "the red dog or the white hot"? Honestly I'm a NEer so what do I know about a white dog, so the coward in me went red to be safe. By the way the red dog was tremendous, the slice open and grill to perfection there charred where it needs to be, a really good dog no doubt. They explained quickly about the white hot and at some point I will need to try one.

There are many of you here from upper state area so I'm guessing we have some experience here with this type, can I get some feedback? Didn't get to see one as no one ordered one from our group or the others at the snack bar. I'm curious now, but didn't want to ruin my round in case it went down wrong LOL

Reaction Score
I used to love Jimmy's of Savin Rock, I think they called it the split hot dog. They probably went out of business before most of you were born.

Been to Jimmy's many times, agree really good food there overall including the split dogs.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Ferraro's Market in New Haven - I put these just behind Hummels and as good as Muckes/G&W. The Big Bites are great but won't fit on New England style rolls without breaking them!

View attachment 23190

Is this place related to Ferraro's "The Meat King" that recently opened in Madison, CT? Right near Hammonassett Ford on rt. 1.

Same people. Same exact products.
Yup and you can order what you want on-line and they will have it ready for pick-up @ the Madison or Meriden satellite locations. They make a mean porchetta w/ fat cap too...
Well with recommendations like this I went over to the new shop in Meriden yesterday and loaded up for the next few days. Had their kielbasa last night which was very good... bought their beef franks, the big bites... along with ribs and chicken and a chuck roast that I'm going to throw on the smoker tomorrow. Can't wait.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Speaking of hot dogs I was lucky enough to play golf at Oak Hill in Rochester NY this week and at the turn was asked what I'd like to eat as they call it in on the tee at 9. I said something quick like a dog and the member I played with asked me "the red dog or the white hot"? Honestly I'm a NEer so what do I know about a white dog, so the coward in me went red to be safe. By the way the red dog was tremendous, the slice open and grill to perfection there charred where it needs to be, a really good dog no doubt. They explained quickly about the white hot and at some point I will need to try one.

There are many of you here from upper state area so I'm guessing we have some experience here with this type, can I get some feedback? Didn't get to see one as no one ordered one from our group or the others at the snack bar. I'm curious now, but didn't want to ruin my round in case it went down wrong LOL

Red hots and white hots. Basically sausages with different seasonings to get the colors.

You got them done right. Split 'em open and have them grilled on the flat top.

White hot - Wikipedia

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I used to love Jimmy's of Savin Rock, I think they called it the split hot dog. They probably went out of business before most of you were born.

Jimmies was the best. Period. Have never had a dog anywhere that was as good as Jimmies in the old days.

Not sure if it's still in the Gagliardi family, but the sit-down restaurant part is still in business, and you can still get split hot dogs there. But despite the fact that they still look more or less the same, neither the dogs nor the fries are anywhere near as good as they were in the 60s and 70s. They are OK. But OK is far from spectacular, and they used to be spectacular.

They opened a location (franchise?) on Black Rock Tpk in Fairfield in the late 60s or 70s. It was just as good as West Haven. But it only lasted a couple years. It's a Duchess now.

Reaction Score
OK, so I went on a dog quest Memorial Day weekend and failed. I tried to find Hebrew National NATURAL casing which is not what is being sold anywhere that I know about. When leople buy Hebrew National they think they are getting the real thing but no. These are on a link. The Crown Market will order them as long as you buy a whole bag about 7 pounds at 10 bucks a pound. They will not open a bag of them in their store because it ain't quite kosher enough for some reason. They are unreal but the truck didn't come in that day so .I got Boars Head natural casing all beef on the link atHighland Market, is extremely close and I believe is a clone. Any other sources?

Reaction Score
Red hots and white hots. Basically sausages with different seasonings to get the colors.

You got them done right. Split 'em open and have them grilled on the flat top.

White hot - Wikipedia

Good stuff, really enjoyed the red.

As for golf, you being a golf guy - ouch! A history laden course like Oak Hill West, home to many Grand Slams like the PGA (Shaun Micheel 2003 with the 7 iron to 2 feet on 18, 2013 Dufner PGA and another coming in 2023), US Opens (Midlecoff and Nicklaus wins) and Ryder Cup - well anyway playing this course from near the black tees, the blues are 6700 which we played you really get a feel on how damn good these guys are. I mean this is as demanding a Ross course that I ever played although traditional. I mean every hole is tree lined but the fairways and space between the fairways and trees are ample enough. But between the rough and the approach to bunker laden surroundings as well as greens being on hills 70% of the time, it plays even longer. I knew on #1 when I saw the tee marker in stone at 433 and I striped my absolute best, still had 178 in I was like wow I thought I hit it a little better, then looked at the approach which with the bunkers staring at me made the 178 look 195, I knew I was in for a dogfight. Well the course wan't in for much of a fight as I bowed out gracefully after 18 and was so happy it was over. No matter, I'd play it again it was just fin being out there on such history.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good stuff, really enjoyed the red.

As for golf, you being a golf guy - ouch! A history laden course like Oak Hill West, home to many Grand Slams like the PGA (Shaun Micheel 2003 with the 7 iron to 2 feet on 18, 2013 Dufner PGA and another coming in 2023), US Opens (Midlecoff and Nicklaus wins) and Ryder Cup - well anyway playing this course from near the black tees, the blues are 6700 which we played you really get a feel on how damn good these guys are. I mean this is as demanding a Ross course that I ever played although traditional. I mean every hole is tree lined but the fairways and space between the fairways and trees are ample enough. But between the rough and the approach to bunker laden surroundings as well as greens being on hills 70% of the time, it plays even longer. I knew on #1 when I saw the tee marker in stone at 433 and I striped my absolute best, still had 178 in I was like wow I thought I hit it a little better, then looked at the approach which with the bunkers staring at me made the 178 look 195, I knew I was in for a dogfight. Well the course wan't in for much of a fight as I bowed out gracefully after 18 and was so happy it was over. No matter, I'd play it again it was just fin being out there on such history.

Would love to play Oak Hill. Classic case of a course not having to be 7500 yards to play long. Like you said, it's a battle on every shot. You can't just swing from the heels; you are using every club and having to work those clubs.

I played yesterday for the first time in 3 months and am playing this afternoon for a church outing. It's a coastal course and looks like 15 mph winds all day. Plus, it's an afternoon tee time which means weather will be insufferable.

Reaction Score

Had a white hot dog at Heid's in Liverpool, NY once a long time ago. Which is supposedly a famous place. It was pretty good but haven't had one since. So I'm guessing this is an upper NY state thing.

Reaction Score
Bingo Chin great golf course and you just have to commit to every shot as mistakes are dramatic there. Get in trouble you need to take your lumps (I didn't) get it back in play don't try to be a hero and get it to the green or near it. I don't have the patience for it LOL. Played pretty good, not great and took two 8's and 2 Mickey Mantles for a 91. I was with a customer and a couple of my automation guys from Zeller up there and all good players and the best was 87 and he's a 6 and a member. 3 rain delays didn't help (Rochester weather sucks LOL) but I must admit there were times on the course I would have rather have been working, oh but I was! ;)

Biased point of view but a good one:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...test-u-s-open-golf-than-erin-hills/420881001/

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bingo Chin great golf course and you just have to commit to every shot as mistakes are dramatic there. Get in trouble you need to take your lumps (I didn't) get it back in play don't try to be a hero and get it to the green or near it. I don't have the patience for it LOL. Played pretty good, not great and took two 8's and 2 Mickey Mantles for a 91. I was with a customer and a couple of my automation guys from Zeller up there and all good players and the best was 87 and he's a 6 and a member. 3 rain delays didn't help (Rochester weather sucks LOL) but I must admit there were times on the course I would have rather have been working, oh but I was! ;)

Biased point of view but a good one:

Oak Hill would have been a better test of U.S. Open golf than Erin Hills

I lived in the area for 5 years and am equally biased towards that course. It would be a great US Open venue and Rochester is big enough to support it logistically.

Back on topic, hot dogs are my go to choice for food when making the turn on a course. Do it right and you can power it down between snack shack and 10th tee. Worst case scenario is a few bites left between tee shot on #10 and second shot. By the time you get to the 11th tee you should be looking for trash receptacle. I'll let others fight over the turkey and cheese wedges or tuna salads sandwiches.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Regarding split dogs, cooked on the grill top - any fans of Walter's (Mamaroneck) here?

Those were a staple when I lived in Westchester years ago. Haven't had one in ages.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I lived in the area for 5 years and am equally biased towards that course. It would be a great US Open venue and Rochester is big enough to support it logistically.

Back on topic, hot dogs are my go to choice for food when making the turn on a course. Do it right and you can power it down between snack shack and 10th tee. Worst case scenario is a few bites left between tee shot on #10 and second shot. By the time you get to the 11th tee you should be looking for trash receptacle. I'll let others fight over the turkey and cheese wedges or tuna salads sandwiches.

Actually these guys killed me. They stopped to chat in snack bar and sit and eat, that's not me. Rather not eat at all then lose my turn or even stop. Keep playing, but it was business and I was a guest so smiled and had a dog and a sam adams. But you have the timing right if even eating. Once I start playing I really don't even like to eat, actually at the events with lunch prior to playing I just chip and putt or hit balls, don't like filling the already ample belly with anything other than the beers I will be drinking out there. LOL

Reaction Score
Saugy in Rhode Island has been making hot dogs using the same recipe for 150 years, and still use lamb intestine for the casing. Best I've ever had.

Reaction Score
Saugy in Rhode Island has been making hot dogs using the same recipe for 150 years, and still use lamb intestine for the casing. Best I've ever had.

My old Rhode Island roommates loved Saugys.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It's a good combination. Devil is in the details with those though. Gotta be the right sport peppers and it has to be the neon green relish.

Sport peppers and an actual ripe tomato are key. The flourescent relish only serves to screw up the texture and add sugar. If you like your dogs on the savory side, skip it like I do. I normally don't care for celery salt, but in this combination, it works.

Reaction Score
Hot dog Alert!!!
They just reopened the Cricket in Stratford. They had the best "works " Sauce in creation. Long Humells on toasted and buttered New England roll with a mustardy hot sauce. An old cook rebuilt a replica up the road from where the original was. Opened Wednesday..there are lines.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Hot dog Alert!!!
They just reopened the Cricket in Stratford. They had the best "works " Sauce in creation. Long Humells on toasted and buttered New England roll with a mustardy hot sauce. An old cook rebuilt a replica up the road from where the original was. Opened Wednesday..there are lines.

Been planning on getting down there since they broke ground for the new building. I believe though, that I'll wait a couple weeks. As a teen, it was probably 2nd or 3rd on my list of favorite local eateries.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Jimmies was the best. Period. Have never had a dog anywhere that was as good as Jimmies in the old days.

Not sure if it's still in the Gagliardi family, but the sit-down restaurant part is still in business, and you can still get split hot dogs there. But despite the fact that they still look more or less the same, neither the dogs nor the fries are anywhere near as good as they were in the 60s and 70s. They are OK. But OK is far from spectacular, and they used to be spectacular.

They opened a location (franchise?) on Black Rock Tpk in Fairfield in the late 60s or 70s. It was just as good as West Haven. But it only lasted a couple years. It's a Duchess now.

Hard to explain how awesome it was. Huge parking lot almost always full. Organic cool car displays. The cashier/cook , we called Mr Machine was amazing too.
An d it continued to do this after the adjacent amusement park died.
Best dogs, best friend seafood.

Reaction Score
I had my first real Chicago style dog recently. Mustard, relish, pickle, diced onion, sliced tomato peppers and celery salt. Surprisingly good. I never thought the tomatoes would work for me but the complete combination turned out amazing.
When I first had them I didn't think it would be all that good either but a dog dragged through the garden is good and actually makes you feel you are somehow eating healthier. The spot by me serves them "depression era" style. Just mustard, onion, sport peppers, and relish with fries smooshed on top.

Reaction Score
One thing I will say is Chicago does fries better than back east. Even most of your hole in the wall hot dog stands seem to have legitimately good freshly cut double fried fries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom