OT: Best hot dogs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best hot dogs

Reaction Score
Best hot dogs ever were on Saturdays at Shiek's in Torrington, CT. Mucke's hot dogs simmered in beer, served with an amazing pork sauerkraut, chili, and mustard. Second best ever was the chili dogs at Demon Dogs in Chicago under the brown line tracks on Fullerton,

They both shut down and I no longer eat hot dogs because nothing else compares.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hot dog cart that one of my fishing buddies just loves on the way home from the lake has a big assortment, all mediocre. Standard is a skinless, boiled. But all of the natural casing selections are grilled early, and then kept in a steamer all day. Crunchy and soggy at the same time. Don't like even thinking about it.

The article sucked toad testes. Their standards were off, their criteria were skewed, and they came off like a bunch of snooty foodies slumming around with the hoi polloi, telling them how to eat.
This was the comment that got me interested in actually reading the article (go figure), and no surprises, other than the results, in that it sought to give guidance on which so-called healthier beef hot dogs are the best. What's next - best baked potato chip?

Articles like these are DOA, except for those who specifically want them. I think the authors gave sufficient disclaimers, but for the number of times I eat a hot dog each year, no thanks, I want the real thing.

It's not unlike how the Katz's Deli man of old would ask when I'd order corned beef or pastrami: "Lean or juicy?"

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I normally think hot dogs are gross but the dogs at Avon Prime Meats are pretty good.

Reaction Score
Ferraro's Market in New Haven - I put these just behind Hummels and as good as Muckes/G&W. The Big Bites are great but won't fit on New England style rolls without breaking them!

020.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm with the OP, however I eat far more than 3 a year. Miller's were the best (along with their bologna), but sadly gone. Hummels or nothing else if cooking at home.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Ferraro's Market in New Haven - I put these just behind Hummels and as good as Muckes/G&W. The Big Bites are great but won't fit on New England style rolls without breaking them!

View attachment 23190
Is this place related to Ferraro's "The Meat King" that recently opened in Madison, CT? Right near Hammonassett Ford on rt. 1.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is this place related to Ferraro's "The Meat King" that recently opened in Madison, CT? Right near Hammonassett Ford on rt. 1.
Same people. Same exact products.

Reaction Score
Same people. Same exact products.

Yup and you can order what you want on-line and they will have it ready for pick-up @ the Madison or Meriden satellite locations. They make a mean porchetta w/ fat cap too...

Reaction Score
No Sabretts? (Fred's) Shanty in New London has great dogs. They use / once used Roesseler's.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
For some reason, ball park hot dogs taste a lot better than store bought. I love Fenway franks at Fenway, but Fenway Franks bought at the store are awful (or aweful, if superjohn is reading this).

And nothing beats a sausage with onions, peppers, and hot spicy mustard from a cart. A close second is the chili cheese dogs from the food truck when I was at UConn. Either (or both), with an ice cold Coke in a glass bottle - awesome combination (or awsome for superjohn).

Now I'm hungry.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Long fun-filled day including golf in morning, lunch at Bass Pro Shop, visit to fireworks store and sunset boat ride.

Two Nathan's Famous. Ketchup, yellow mustard, shredded cheddar and dill pickle. On a paper plate to avoid dishes.

020.jpg

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hummel's with Dijon mustard.
Yellow mustard belongs with ketchup.

Reaction Score
I had my first real Chicago style dog recently. Mustard, relish, pickle, diced onion, sliced tomato peppers and celery salt. Surprisingly good. I never thought the tomatoes would work for me but the complete combination turned out amazing.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I had my first real Chicago style dog recently. Mustard, relish, pickle, diced onion, sliced tomato peppers and celery salt. Surprisingly good. I never thought the tomatoes would work for me but the complete combination turned out amazing.

I once ordered two dogs with the works at the concession stand at a state run boat ramp in Alabama. The woman looked at me funny and shrugged. When she handed me two dogs with Lettuce, Tomato, pickle, a slice of onion and mayonnaise, I said I expected mustard, relish and chopped onion. She explained that "the works" usually goes on a hamburger, and she'd never had anyone ask for it on a hot dog before.

To tell the truth, they weren't half bad.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

It's a good combination. Devil is in the details with those though. Gotta be the right sport peppers and it has to be the neon green relish.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I used to love Jimmy's of Savin Rock, I think they called it the split hot dog. They probably went out of business before most of you were born.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom