OT: Anyone do 23andMe? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Anyone do 23andMe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My wife is bugging me about using on of these tests. The accuracy of the test depends entirely on the sample size - how many genomes (or nucleic acid groups, or amino groups) does it consider? The longer the sample, better. For 15, the test would map 15 molecules, and then take the next 15, etc. There are something like 10^9 molecules. As you can see, the math limits the accuracy.

I'll report back after some research. Will visit the NY Genome Center again next week.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My parent's names are Murphy and O'Connell. My whole life I've told people I'm 100% Irish. My sister did the ancestors DNA thing. Came back 87% Irish 10% Welsh and traces of the cradle of civilization made up the other 3%. No surprises but neat none the less.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Bought, but haven't opened yet. Just watch out, if Citrusdog is right, the government may use the information. If I am French-Canadian, Polish, and Irish (like I'm supposed to be), those are the only three ethnicities that are common to almost all diseases 23 and me tests your DNA for. So in a way, I'm expecting to be carrying about 20 genetic disorders.

Reaction Score
Not sure what service my grandmother did but I know she spent couple grand and it was a very thorough detailed report of her and my grandfather ancestry. Pretty cool and found out interesting things

My grandmother's side wasn't as detailed because they need male DNA to cross check going way back.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Bought, but haven't opened yet. Just watch out, if Citrusdog is right, the government may use the information. If I am French-Canadian, Polish, and Irish (like I'm supposed to be), those are the only three ethnicities that are common to almost all diseases 23 and me tests your DNA for. So in a way, I'm expecting to be carrying about 20 genetic disorders.

Its confirmed already that you are rife with genetic disorders.

Reaction Score
Here is my plan. We are doing 22andme for now. If the results are interesting we will dig deeper using one of the paternal or maternal systems. Scary but you and I are both sicilian and wondering the same thing. For me that means a maternal search to dig deeper. However, my father's family is from Rome and his uncle in Italy have already traced our family back to 200BC. It would be interesting to see how deep I can go with that. I may do both for the hell of it.
200BC? Now that's impressive.

Reaction Score
Not sure what service my grandmother did but I know she spent couple grand and it was a very thorough detailed report of her and my grandfather ancestry. Pretty cool and found out interesting things

My grandmother's side wasn't as detailed because they need male DNA to cross check going way back.
It can get expensive quickly. Did Family Tree quite a few years, and am being deluged with notifications of matches for the past few months. Not sure what caused that. FT is Y dna, and my father didn't have many relatives. My sister is very into genealogy, and has researched but sides of our family going back multiple generations.

Reaction Score
Found another factoid from a geneticist today. 23 and me was shut down by the FDA for making outrageous claims. However, they are back but showing more constraint with their advertising.

Reaction Score
Here is my plan. We are doing 22andme for now. If the results are interesting we will dig deeper using one of the paternal or maternal systems. Scary but you and I are both sicilian and wondering the same thing. For me that means a maternal search to dig deeper. However, my father's family is from Rome and his uncle in Italy have already traced our family back to 200BC. It would be interesting to see how deep I can go with that. I may do both for the hell of it.

Missed this post. My grandfather is Sicilian straight off the boat. He was pissed with the results when they got everything back. They went way back to about the same time period you are saying. Came from one of the original 10 tribes of Israel. He denies the findings and says "I'm sicilian I know where I came from"

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I did the Ancestry DNA test and so did my brother. We have the same ancestors, obviously, but different proportions. Likewise my husband and his sister, and my sons. It's pretty cool, actually.

upload_2016-12-18_7-22-46.png

Reaction Score
Someone should be able to use the data from these tests to assign a Promiscuity Score. Some of my ancestors must have been real sluts -- there were more countries represented in my DNA than were at the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Anyone interested in testing at Ancestry.com, 23andMe.com, or FamilyTreeDNA.com should know that there are sales currently going on. If you know someone with a 23andMe account they should be able to order you the full genealogy&health test kit for $149 ($50 savings). FamilyTreeDNA has a sale on most of their tests and anyone who already has an account with them is getting a coupon good for additional savings (good for 1 week) once a week through the end of the month I believe. Some people who don't need their coupons are posting them on this page so that others can take advantage of them. Ancestry's sale just ended but you can order their kit for $79 by doing this:

a. First click this link: http://www.anrdoezrs.net/l0102xdmjdl08278125021619666
b. Then click this link to order. Ancestry Order

And as @temery mentioned, you should download your raw data from wherever you test and upload it to GEDMatch if you're interested in finding genetic relatives.

Reaction Score
Missed this post. My grandfather is Sicilian straight off the boat. He was pissed with the results when they got everything back. They went way back to about the same time period you are saying. Came from one of the original 10 tribes of Israel. He denies the findings and says "I'm sicilian I know where I came from"
What he needs to understand is the history of Sicily. It was an incredible melting pot with people from all points around the mediterranean. There were a ton of greeks, some of which are famous mathematicians and philosophers, for example. He needs to embrace his inner Jew! From my perspective, inner diversity is a strength.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What's the best site to begin the "family tree" and the most confident it's not a bunch of crap? My wife does want to do that.
Without having gone through the thread to see if someone has addressed this, I'll just say they're kind of crappy. Human history and ethnography going back in time usually doesn't match up with geographic boundaries. There are a few ethnic groups, like Finns or Ashkenazi Jews, that can be traced, but most of the time it's not like you can say "you have this gene which matches up with this ethnic group", it's not that simple to interpret. It turns out people have babies with people from other ethnicities, all throughout history, so mixing is the rule not the exception. So you might wind up with a certain percentage chance that you have ancestors from a vague region that encompasses many modern-day nations, which may or may not be satisfying. If you have done some geneological research and you want to confirm that great-great grandpa Joe said he was English but actually was Irish, or there's a family story that some ancestor was half Cherokee, there might be a chance to confirm it but you' likely have to contact some 2nd and 3rd cousins to submit their samples. And at that point you're probably interested enough to consult a professional geneticist. Same if you have health questions, you'd definitely want to talk to a genetics counselor along with your physician.

A while back 60 minutes featured an African American woman who wanted to know about where her slave ancestors came from. It's a deeply personal question for meaning, and she likely wanted to travel to the part of Africa where here ancestors lived. So the show paid for her test, and it came back with some area of western Africa, and she was moved and emotional (understandably). But then the reporter says "we also sent it to another testing company", and they opened the results, and they did not match up! Completely different geographic area and ethnic group. So the woman was like "Wait, WTF?" It's just not (always) as straightforward to trace back as these companies make it seem.

Reaction Score
Without having gone through the thread to see if someone has addressed this, I'll just say they're kind of crappy.

Concur. Ethnicity estimates are just estimates and they only reflect your possible ethnicity going back 4-5 generations. Results are variable from company to company based on the reference population that they use. Usually not much genealogical use. Testing at multiple companies and comparing them can provide more useful info. However, their estimates have been improving as they add to their reference populations and tweek their algorithms.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without having gone through the thread to see if someone has addressed this, I'll just say they're kind of crappy. Human history and ethnography going back in time usually doesn't match up with geographic boundaries. There are a few ethnic groups, like Finns or Ashkenazi Jews, that can be traced, but most of the time it's not like you can say "you have this gene which matches up with this ethnic group", it's not that simple to interpret. It turns out people have babies with people from other ethnicities, all throughout history, so mixing is the rule not the exception. So you might wind up with a certain percentage chance that you have ancestors from a vague region that encompasses many modern-day nations, which may or may not be satisfying. If you have done some geneological research and you want to confirm that great-great grandpa Joe said he was English but actually was Irish, or there's a family story that some ancestor was half Cherokee, there might be a chance to confirm it but you' likely have to contact some 2nd and 3rd cousins to submit their samples. And at that point you're probably interested enough to consult a professional geneticist. Same if you have health questions, you'd definitely want to talk to a genetics counselor along with your physician.

A while back 60 minutes featured an African American woman who wanted to know about where her slave ancestors came from. It's a deeply personal question for meaning, and she likely wanted to travel to the part of Africa where here ancestors lived. So the show paid for her test, and it came back with some area of western Africa, and she was moved and emotional (understandably). But then the reporter says "we also sent it to another testing company", and they opened the results, and they did not match up! Completely different geographic area and ethnic group. So the woman was like "Wait, WTF?" It's just not (always) as straightforward to trace back as these companies make it seem.

Thanks much appreciated!

Reaction Score
I really want to get my DNA tested, but I'm concerned about privacy.

I just have this fear that somehow it could be used against you, like some conspiracy theory out of a movie.

I think I'll soon get over it and just get tested.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I just have this fear that somehow it could be used against you, like some conspiracy theory out of a movie.

That's what they want you to do... ;)

Reaction Score

You aren't paranoid. You should not do this sort of thing unless you have a strong medical need to know something asap. Even then, I'd have it done somewhere with a focused health care purpose, like the Mayo Clinic. I'd certainly not authorize testing for anything you don't need to know and I would not have it done with any of these big companies. Ultimately, the results can end up being used to deny people health insurance, increase their health insurance rates, frame people for crimes, or be used in ethnic cleansing or other horrible things like creating "pure bred" people with superior characteristics to "normal people". This information is not meant for Google to have.

I am disturbed that so many retirees are flocking to ancestry.com to do family trees and then willfully submitting their dna, let alone that of their children and grandchildren. It is the kids that will feel the ramifications 10-15 years from now when they can't get insurance because they are on the breast cancer or testicular cancer "watch list". Getting help will cost them a magnificent premium.

My mother and mother in law both did this without my knowledge and I find it deeply disturbing. The only interesting thing I got from it was knowledge that I have supposedly have 1% Jewish lineage. I found that funny because I was able to tell my Jewish friends that I am now part of the club. Otherwise, I just don't find it that interesting. For instance, my relatives in Italy came from elsewhere at some point but after them being in Italy for 800 plus years, I just don't care where they were before that, I'm Italian (Italian American).

Once enough people are in the database, those of us that aren't will be made out to be outliers that won't submit to the test and are hiding something. Further, the system will know our relatives results and at a minimum fill our files with that info. This is the beginning of some serious shizz that will likely have significant societal impacts.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Register under a different name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman