OT: Anyone do 23andMe? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Anyone do 23andMe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You aren't paranoid. You should not do this sort of thing unless you have a strong medical need to know something asap. Even then, I'd have it done somewhere with a focused health care purpose, like the Mayo Clinic. I'd certainly not authorize testing for anything you don't need to know and I would not have it done with any of these big companies. Ultimately, the results can end up being used to deny people health insurance, increase their health insurance rates, frame people for crimes, or be used in ethnic cleansing or other horrible things like creating "pure bred" people with superior characteristics to "normal people". This information is not meant for Google to have.

I am disturbed that so many retirees are flocking to ancestry.com to do family trees and then willfully submitting their dna, let alone that of their children and grandchildren. It is the kids that will feel the ramifications 10-15 years from now when they can't get insurance because they are on the breast cancer or testicular cancer "watch list". Getting help will cost them a magnificent premium.

My mother and mother in law both did this without my knowledge and I find it deeply disturbing. The only interesting thing I got from it was knowledge that I have supposedly have 1% Jewish lineage. I found that funny because I was able to tell my Jewish friends that I am now part of the club. Otherwise, I just don't find it that interesting. For instance, my relatives in Italy came from elsewhere at some point but after them being in Italy for 800 plus years, I just don't care where they were before that, I'm Italian (Italian American).

Once enough people are in the database, those of us that aren't will be made out to be outliers that won't submit to the test and are hiding something. Further, the system will know our relatives results and at a minimum fill our files with that info. This is the beginning of some serious shizz that will likely have significant societal impacts.

If someone really wanted to use your DNA against you, it would be far easier to use some of your DNA that you are constantly shedding all day long than to get it from a company that doesn't want to give it to you.

Reaction Score
If someone really wanted to use your DNA against you, it would be far easier to use some of your DNA that you are constantly shedding all day long than to get it from a company that doesn't want to give it to you.

Also, the genealogy DNA testing companies specifically avoid testing any portion of the DNA that contains known medically relevant segments (except 23andMe, but only if you chose their genealogy & health test) and only FamilyTreeDNA retains your DNA sample after testing. Unlike the AncestryDNA and 23andMe, FTDNA offers more than just autosomal testing, so you can upgrade your account later to include a new test (Y-DNA or mitochondrial DNA) without having to send in a new sample.

Reaction Score
23andme definitely keeps relevant info, articles have been written about it, and Google has plans to use that information in the future. Frankly, if you think that info isn't being stored and repurposed or that they haven't found a way to keep records of certain markers in your make up that they can use to make some likely assumptions about you, you are crazy. New ways of gathering data have been biting people in the butt for years now. Don't be naive.

We've got endless data breaches and hackers determining elections. It isn't wise to play with fire to appease curious interests. As a person that guards my personal and professional data very closely and still had my identity stolen with shocking results, I've become hesitant to divulge personal information, let alone biological information. Once the cat is out of the bag .....

Reaction Score
23andme definitely keeps relevant info, articles have been written about it, and Google has plans to use that information in the future. Frankly, if you think that info isn't being stored and repurposed or that they haven't found a way to keep records of certain markers in your make up that they can use to make some likely assumptions about you, you are crazy. New ways of gathering data have been biting people in the butt for years now. Don't be naive.

We've got endless data breaches and hackers determining elections. It isn't wise to play with fire to appease curious interests. As a person that guards my personal and professional data very closely and still had my identity stolen with shocking results, I've become hesitant to divulge personal information, let alone biological information. Once the cat is out of the bag .....

I wasn't talking about retaining info from testing, I'm talking about retaining the untested parts of your DNA. And I am aware what 23andMe does with the results which is a significant reason why I tested with them first. And as a matter of fact, I have donated my raw data to multiple research projects and just submitted my sample this week to Genes for Good. And as far as letting the cat out of the bag, it was never in the bag.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If an insurance company wants to use DNA to exclude those in a high risk cohort, they aren't going to get the data from 23andme, ftdna, etc. they are going to straight to the source - the patient.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I did some research into my ancestry and learned that I'm descended from one of Napoleon's bastard children.

C

chiller99.5

Learned a lot from the test and even more when Viking traits came up from I rish heritage until we visited Dublin and saw the link between Vikings and the citizens in Dublin

Reaction Score
Register under a different name.
Even better, use Hoophound's name, and his credit card. Heightening his concerns, undoubtedly more than a few Boneyarders could very likely access such details (not that they'd use them for really bad stuff). Then, share your dubious results with the FBI, CIA, NSA, M15, M16, MSS, FSB, SVR, ISI, Mossad, etc. ;)

Reaction Score
Learned a lot from the test and even more when Viking traits came up from I rish heritage until we visited Dublin and saw the link between Vikings and the citizens in Dublin
Beyond the English and Nordic rape and pillagers of the Irish, minimally add Spaniards and Normans. Fair skin, light colored hair to the darker hues of the Black Irish ... a whole lot of Irish genetic stew.

Reaction Score
Old news, but Norse invasions in current day Ireland dating to the 9th or even the 8th century were supposedly preceded long before by earliest arriving Mesolithic tribes, then Neolithic agrarians, then Celts, and Christian missionaries. As with some references above to Sicilians, Sicilian Americans, Italians, Italian Americans, etc., being Irish may be rather different than simplistic, narrow views held by a few people of Irish nationality, purported ethnicity, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom