Oregon prediction thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oregon prediction thread

Reaction Score
We have only played 1 game (exhibition & non-conf) against a high div 1 team and lost pretty badly so it's hard to know.

Oregon is definitely beatable....not easy playing the "host" essentially in our first game out there but a win would be very big confidence builder.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pritchard is the real deal and I expect him to play well and their three transfers Paul White (11.3 ppg), Elijah Brown (12.0 ppg) and Miklye McIntosh (8.5 ppg) have been solid veterans. One of their best forwards, Roman Sorkin, has been injured the last two games, so if he's hurt that will be a big factor.

To boil it down, if their big freshmen (Troy Brown, Kenny Wooten and Aku Kigab) play well, then we are in trouble. Brown hasn't dominated against weaker opponents yet, but Wooten is a scary interior rim protector.

If Brown is meh and Wooten gets in foul trouble, there's a shot, but I'm expecting a 15 point loss.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Let's be honest here it will be a home game for Oregon like no other time. They will prefer to keep them in the winners bracket in Nike land so they will need their best game of the year to win and overcome many obstacles. They will need to play much better than any game we've seen thus far.
I should of read your post first Mau. I just posted in the thread "Find a way to beat Oregon" almost like yours only in a much darker sense.

Reaction Score
I trust Kevin Ollie's teams in tournament situations.

Nice pom-poms, but we got down 18-3 in the first 6 minutes of last year's Maui tournament against both Oklahoma State and Oregon, and basically never threatened.

KO has something to prove here about his team's ability to come out and deliver the first punch.

Reaction Score
Nice pom-poms, but we got down 18-3 in the first 6 minutes of last year's Maui tournament against both Oklahoma State and Oregon, and basically never threatened.

KO has something to prove here about his team's ability to come out and deliver the first punch.

I was under the impression last year's season was canceled.

I don't seem to remember any games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We are such a work in progress, that I don't think you can predict how we will do. Ollie is experimenting with rotations so we don't really know how the team will play when we play good opponents.
Add to that that we know next to nothing how the Ducks would do against better competition. It will be interesting. I am more interested in how our guys step up. If they come out focused and making good decisions, I think that we got a decent shot at winning.

Defense and ball pressure is probably going to be the key to our winning.

Reaction Score
our team is full of new faces and has played an easy schedule. if we had a chance, it'd be because their team is also full of new faces, and has played an even easier schedule.

we could shock 'em with some solid defense and make some timely shots. i don't think that's out of the question!

Reaction Score
Add to that that we know next to nothing how the Ducks would do against better competition. It will be interesting. I am more interested in how our guys step up. If they come out focused and making good decisions, I think that we got a decent shot at winning.

Defense and ball pressure is probably going to be the key to our winning.

Defense, ball pressure AND rebounding.

These things lead to run outs and transition basketball which I think is the key for success for UConn.

Reaction Score
The opponent of a common opponent calculator does not bode well as Oregon beat Ball St. by 24, Ball St. beat Stony Brook by 11 and UConn beat Stony Brook by 8. Per these calculations Oregon wins by 27. The ability of UConn to challenge 3 pointers will be key as they are shooting 42% as a team. They go small frequently, with nobody on the court over 6'7. UConn's bigs need to defend the 3 better than in the first 3 games.

It is two teams with lots of new faces. Oregon has only 1 returning starter in Pritchard, but lots of young talent and Elijah Brown as a grad transfer from New Mexico who averaged 18 last year. The newbies from UConn will see speed and skill better than they have yet faced. My fear is lazy passes and nonchalant ball handling will result in many turnovers. Jalen scored 27 against them last year. The only other current UConn player that played against Oregon last year was Vital who scored 7. Interestingly there are only 2 on the Oregon roster that played in the game also (Pritchard and Smith). UConn fell behing 13-2 after 2 minutes and 30-9 after 9 minutes.

All negatives aside, Adams and Larrier find the raucous Oregon crowd to be the remedy to their lethargic first 10 minutes. Both relish the national stage and put on a show for NBA scouts in a high scoring affair that UConn fans are unfamiliar with. UConn squeaks out a 89-86 victory

Reaction Score
I've watched Oregon twice and they really aren' impressive. If Jalen and Terry come to play then we'll have the 2 best players on the floor. If they don't get up for this game/tournament then they just don't have IT and the season is screwed anyway. If we play competently and jalen and Terry play to their capabilities we should win

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
We are such a work in progress, that I don't think you can predict how we will do. Ollie is experimenting with rotations so we don't really know how the team will play when we play good opponents.

This.

There is absolutely no feel to this going in. We can lost by 50 or win by 10. Its just the state of our team right now.

It will be a good test and learning experience.

Reaction Score
I just love reading everyone's thoughts some are enlightening some are hilarious.

Anyway they are good but would call them pretty much our equal in what it will take them to get to the dance by years end. Having said that, our guys need their A game as I stated they will have their backs to the wall with the stripes and the venue itself. I know some will take this wrong but if they compete hard, stay in the game and keep it tight only to lose late I'm good. If Oregon sucks and we lose I won't be happy.

UConn 73 Quacks 69

Reaction Score
The teams Oregon has beaten are a combined 1-15 but the 1 win was Ball State over Stony Brook. If UConn comes out focused and making good decisions and doesn't fall behind 10+ early final score will be UConn 84, Oregon 79.

Reaction Score
Prediction..... I have no idea who Oregon is as much as I do UConn at this point of the season.

Hope..... UConn plays a competitive game with a chance to win. They play close and lose I can see a moral victory that gives the team something to build on.

Just cant have the painful starts to halves that keeps UConn out of games.

Forced gut prediction --- UConn 4-0!

Reaction Score
our team is full of new faces and has played an easy schedule. if we had a chance, it'd be because their team is also full of new faces, and has played an even easier schedule.

we could shock 'em with some solid defense and make some timely shots. i don't think that's out of the question!
Good pickup on their schedule ,we have least have gone against a decent PC team.
I think if it’s not a home job we will eek it out

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

UConn was down that much vs Florida in Final Four and came back and won, IIRC
But that wasn't last year and last years team was loaded in Hawaii, right?

A victory vs Oregon would be nice but if not, I am not putting KO against the wall, if you do that's fine
I just want to see how some of the freshmen and the new guys like DO and Anderson react under big lights
Then again who does UConn have who has been there - JA and CV? Deep

Reaction Score
At what point do we stop talking about last year?

We're 3 games in.

This team is so different and deserves to be judged on its own merits or demerits.

Just based on the eye test, I like this team.

I'm not sure about the talent level or the chemistry (yet) but they play hard and it looks like they are striving to get better.

We will learn a lot about them in Portland.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom