Open Practice 10/12 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Open Practice 10/12

Reaction Score
The Courant said there were about 500 people there. Surprised there weren’t more. I would have definitely gone if I wasn’t away for the weekend. How many times do you get a chance to watch a real practice? I think I paid $150 once at a charity event to watch practice back in 2004. This was free.

They used to have a team scrimmage at the Civic Center and draw a decent crowd back in the day, I can remember going as a kid and being blown away by Ray Allen his freshman year.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
They used to have a team scrimmage at the Civic Center and draw a decent crowd back in the day, I can remember going as a kid and being blown away by Ray Allen his freshman year.
It was called the Blue White scrimage. JC used to do it every year. I was there the year when Ray was a frosh & still have the team pic that was handed out that day, it had the big class from the yr before with the Marshals, Travis, Rudy, Boo, KO. I used to go every year because Calhoun was not a fan of midnight madness.

Reaction Score

yep.....the old Blue White Scrimmages. Nice event....I used to take our daughters. They loved the cheerleaders, the husky dog who would take pics with the families....it always felt like the true start to the season.

Reaction Score
I remember that, too. I was in high school. I remember telling my friend, "This Ray Allen kid is gonna be special.".

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hated hearing Polley isn't rebounding, Adams can't handle the ball well enough to play any effective PG minutes in a pinch, shooting is suspect, Gaffney & Akok are losing important development time due to injury,

This is the only detailed report of Adams I saw in this thread and it's not saying that at all:
Adams Heavily part of the mix, will see plenty of minutes in Hurley's 3 guard mixes. Tough, physical guard, a big guard, plays 100% all the time. Dribbles well, not flashy, doesn't turn it over, will penetrate perimeter D and make decisions, good solid player. If he has his shot going they'll feed him.

and Gilbert can't be hit without fear of reinjury. Health has been a huge setback for men's BB in recent years.

That's just being smart. Why bump a kid around when you don't have to? You never want your QB taking any unnecessary hits, even more so if he's had injury problems in the past. I don't think this says anything about his current health.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the only detailed report of Adams I saw in this thread and it's not saying that at all:
Adams Heavily part of the mix, will see plenty of minutes in Hurley's 3 guard mixes. Tough, physical guard, a big guard, plays 100% all the time. Dribbles well, not flashy, doesn't turn it over, will penetrate perimeter D and make decisions, good solid player. If he has his shot going they'll feed him.

That's just being smart. Why bump a kid around when you don't have to? You never want your QB taking any unnecessary hits, even more so if he's had injury problems in the past. I don't think this says anything about his current health.

Gilbert is just unlucky too. He runs in a screen hard... Most guys get the wind knocked out of them, sit for a minute and they're fine. He just happens to take a bone to the eye socket and literally can't see for a month. How often does that happen? He has earned every $$ he'll make professionally more than anyone.

Reaction Score

I was at the practice that's not an accurate description of Adams. He's got good size yes but the talent is not there. His talent is clearly below the other guards and based on what I've seen from YouTube highlights it's below Gaffney's as well. If Adams is playing meaningful minutes it means we're in trouble.

Reaction Score
I was at the practice that's not an accurate description of Adams. He's got good size yes but the talent is not there. His talent is clearly below the other guards and based on what I've seen from YouTube highlights it's below Gaffney's as well. If Adams is playing meaningful minutes it means we're in trouble.
Regarding my comments on Brendan Adams, we won't all agree on this or that. The season will prove it out.

Reaction Score
I’m still very confused why we haven’t gone after Hassan.
I think he wants more shooting but a lock down defender at the point who can handle and attack the rim sounds pretty good to me. I'm hoping we do some real damage next year but the idea of having just Gaffney and Cole at point scares me a bit.

Reaction Score
I think he wants more shooting but a lock down defender at the point who can handle and attack the rim sounds pretty good to me. I'm hoping we do some real damage next year but the idea of having just Gaffney and Cole at point scares me a bit.

Agreed. But both of those guys can shoot, as can Bouk. Don’t feel like we NEED a knock down shooter with that spot.

Reaction Score
We won't have Gilbert next year? I thought he had a year of eligibility left I'm guessing I'm wrong or missed where it was a foregone conclusion that he would leave?

Reaction Score
I remember that, too. I was in high school. I remember telling my friend, "This Ray Allen kid is gonna be special.".
You weren’t the only one saying that. My jaw froze open. He was so clearly athletically above anyone else we’d ever had.

Those early scrimmages were at the Field House with the floor to ceiling court-surrounding nets with ten foot high opaque plastic ‘walls’ to block practices from let’s say casual fans. After we had a dinner where player or coach was at each table. Can you imagine? I sat next to Perno holdover Cliff Robinson that first year. That was all before the day the dam first broke.

Reaction Score
We won't have Gilbert next year? I thought he had a year of eligibility left I'm guessing I'm wrong or missed where it was a foregone conclusion that he would leave?
He will have another year of elgibility but he graduates this year and it's been hinted at he'll leave. It's not a foregone conclusion but most think he'll leave.

Reaction Score
I agree. I don’t get why everyone is writing Gilbert off for next year. He’s barely played a full year of hoops combined for us. Why wouldn’t he stay next year with the potential to be an all American on a husky team that can do some real damage and get back in the national spotlight. People seem to think when we picked up RJ Cole it was near automatic that Gilbert was leaving after this year- I don’t believe that at all. Ok back to nfl red zone. Lol

Reaction Score
I agree. I don’t get why everyone is writing Gilbert off for next year. He’s barely played a full year of hoops combined for us. Why wouldn’t he stay next year with the potential to be an all American on a husky team that can do some real damage and get back in the national spotlight. People seem to think when we picked up RJ Cole it was near automatic that Gilbert was leaving after this year- I don’t believe that at all. Ok back to nfl red zone. Lol
It's always possible but this was a quote from Gilbert, that's why people think he's leaving. "“I’m going into my senior year and I’m approaching it as my senior year,” he said. “But that decision will be later on down the line.”"

Reaction Score
It's always possible but this was a quote from Gilbert, that's why people think he's leaving. "“I’m going into my senior year and I’m approaching it as my senior year,” he said. “But that decision will be later on down the line.”"
Fair enough. Forgot he said that. Hope he stays

Reaction Score
There are just too many unknowns for AG right now. I think his quote has everything to do with his frame of mind and expectations for himself going into this season. He's hoping, and expecting, all goes well and if so, he will likely be gone. However, so much will depend on his health, performance, possible draft status and overseas league interest. Good thing is, if he has a healthy & great year, then we likely do too and no one will expect him back!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom