Open Practice 10/12 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Open Practice 10/12

Reaction Score
I had to check out a little early but a couple quick thoughts:
  • You can see the difference in recruiting. These guys look like basketball players, and ones that can contribute. Best example for me was Richie Springs. Not a freshman coming in who looks like he's a stringbean with twigs for legs. Not sure how effective he'll be, but looks like he can play. Bouknight was getting it from Hurley on D a bit, but had a few really nice drives to the basket through traffic.
  • Whaley impressed me the most. The kid looked like he had close to no offensive game the first two years he's been here. He was hitting some jumpers, had some nice shots by the rim....and looks pretty jacked. Interested to see what we'll get from him.
  • Polley's shooting stroke looked pretty nice. During a lot of the drills he was with the guard group.
  • I know some scoffed at the Carlton size and weight when it came out earlier in the offseason. He definitely looked bigger. Looking forward to see what he can bring this year.
All in all left pretty optimistic. Obviously can't take a whole lot from practice, but things certainly seem to look like they're going in the right direction.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Stayed for about an hour. Some of the main things that stood out to me

-I don’t know how good Whaley will be, but in terms of progression from last season, he’s probably going to be the most improved player on the team. He just looks built and more like a basketball player. Had some nice moves in the paint. Coach Moore was on him to make sure he was being vocal and giving instructions to younger guys.

-CV gives 110% at all times. That’s nothing new though. Gonna miss him after this year, he really deserves a good UConn team to be on.

-Polley has tightened up his shooting form even more, should expect his 3 pt % and volume to go up this year I would think.

-Carlton has a really impressive touch around the basket. He should be a beast for us this year, just hoping he stays out of foul trouble. Like most have noted, he is noticeably bigger.

-Bouknight is going to be a stud on offense. I hate player comparisons, but he’s very reminiscent of Jeremy Lamb. He was noticeably lost on some of the defensive concepts, but that will come in time.

-Really unfortunate not to see Akok and Gaffney out there today. Was really looking forward to seeing those 2 specifically.

-Springs will be a very nice player for us, but it’s going to take a couple years of development to get there. Also, he has absolutely no left hand at the moment.

-Sid was very active, vocal and brought a great vibe to the practice. He could be a huge defensive player for us this year. Hurley was on him about some little things though.

-I was in the front row behind the basket- Tom Moore looked over to my friend and I as he was walking up to a drill with a foam pad for a post up/shooting still. He said “gonna hit these guys hard, except #3, still gotta be careful with the shoulder”

-Seth Greenberg stopped in my area for a chat. Very nice guy. Joked to Moore at one point to work on his upfake during a defensive drill.

Overall, Hurleys practices have a professional vibe to them. This program will be nationally competitive again. Just need to get the players up to the required level, it will still take some time.

The practice was very defense oriented (at least the first hour was). Hurley clearly wants to have the best defense in the country first and foremost.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Geeeeezzzz. The walking wounded already? I know the concept of a completely injury free season is absurd, but still... ALREADY???
Concerning because with kids with Akoks body type you always worry about injuries, particularly lower body problems.

Reaction Score
Great Hurley quotes from today:

“You are so soft right now”

“We should be better at sprints cuz that’s all we do”

“You’re just trying to survive practice you’re not trying to get better!”

“Work Tyler! Stop trying to find the easy way out!”

“The lights are on it’s game time!”

“you are all just waiting around for CV to get a rebound because he led the team last year as a GUARD!”

Reaction Score
I’m here. Can confirm that Whaley looks big. Recruit sitting courtside with both parents, looks engaged. Bummed Akok and Gaffney aren’t in action.
the recruit was on his phone most of the time. I stopped for a bite at wing stop afterwards. when I walked out I saw Tom Moore with the recruit and his parents riding in a golf cart. Must have been given him a tour.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
How did RJ Cole look? He can't play this year obviously but curious how he looked against our guards.
Good question.

Reaction Score
AG and Bouknight are the two most talented players. Best offensive lineup will be AG, CV, JB, Tyler Phommachanh and JC although against bigger/better teams will get hurt on D. Hopefully JG and Akok will help offensively because we look very similar to last year. I was very disappointed with Carlton thought he'd be a guy you could just dump the ball down and he'd make a nice low post move especially against our other bigs but he looked horrible hopefully he just had a really bad day. Team will play very hard and be scrappy in the ACK hopefully they can learn to win the close ones. RJ Cole looked decent he's small and not very athletic. He's crafty though with good handle but doesn't get much lift on his jumper. He will benefit greatly from battling with AG all year in practice.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You’re just trying to survive practice you’re not trying to get better!”

That is a great line and important message to get across to teams trying to improve.

As JC would say, learn/know the difference between being there and accomplishing something.

Reaction Score
AG and Bouknight are the two most talented players. Best offensive lineup will be AG, CV, JB, Tyler Phommachanh and JC although against bigger/better teams will get hurt on D. Hopefully JG and Akok will help offensively because we look very similar to last year. I was very disappointed with Carlton thought he'd be a guy you could just dump the ball down and he'd make a nice low post move especially against our other bigs but he looked horrible hopefully he just had a really bad day. Team will play very hard and be scrappy in the ACK hopefully they can learn to win the close ones. RJ Cole looked decent he's small and not very athletic. He's crafty though with good handle but doesn't get much lift on his jumper. He will benefit greatly from battling with AG all year in practice.

What do you mean by lift on his jumper? He doesn't jump? Or he isn't lifting his arm high enough for the release? I've heard it referred to both ways... just wanna clarify

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom