Open Practice 10/12 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Open Practice 10/12

Reaction Score
What year did that stop? I grew up there and never heard of this.

That’s a good question I think it was in the 80s only maybe 2-3 times......, I believe it was JC with Cliff, Phil, Jeff King and that crew! So late 80s

Reaction Score
I agree. I don’t get why everyone is writing Gilbert off for next year. He’s barely played a full year of hoops combined for us. Why wouldn’t he stay next year with the potential to be an all American on a husky team that can do some real damage and get back in the national spotlight. People seem to think when we picked up RJ Cole it was near automatic that Gilbert was leaving after this year- I don’t believe that at all. Ok back to nfl red zone. Lol
Because :
1. he will have his degree
2 His height reduces his chance of ever getting drafting ,think RB
3 He has a history of injuries and a limited number of years to earn money.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I agree. I don’t get why everyone is writing Gilbert off for next year. He’s barely played a full year of hoops combined for us. Why wouldn’t he stay next year with the potential to be an all American on a husky team that can do some real damage and get back in the national spotlight. People seem to think when we picked up RJ Cole it was near automatic that Gilbert was leaving after this year- I don’t believe that at all. Ok back to nfl red zone. Lol
Crazy part is that he doesn’t just have another year available to him, he has TWO! He has a medical redshirt that is definitely available if he wants it.

Reaction Score
That’s a good question I think it was in the 80s only maybe 2-3 times., I believe it was JC with Cliff, Phil, Jeff King and that crew! So late 80s
Gotcha. I was in diapers. I'm surprised my dad didn't know/tell me about it. Not sure how big of a fan he was back then.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Crazy part is that he doesn’t just have another year available to him, he has TWO! He has a medical redshirt that is definitely available if he wants it.

I think one of those two years is going to be this upcoming season. Not sure if that's what you meant or not, but thought I'd clarify.

Reaction Score
Cole looked undersized, like Al, but not nearly as skilled as Al. It also seemed like he deferred to Adams for bringing up the ball. I figured it was because he cant play this season, but Hurley semi called him out for it.

If Cole was our backup PG this year however, I would be thrilled. As is, if injury-prone Al goes down, it's CV or Adams playing PG. We need CV on the wing, and Adams can't handle the ball.

Cole is undersized. And I can’t stress enough how much he’s going to surprise people. I know I should be excited for this season, and I really am, but what’s got me really pumped is the 20-21 lineup of Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Akok, and Carlton playing in the Big East!!

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
So he has 3 full years of eligibility, including this upcoming season?
Amazingly, yes. You get 2 redshirts one regular and one medical(if applicable). He would need to apply for the medical if he wanted to play the 21-22 season but they would surely give it to him given how much time he has missed due to injury his first 2 seasons.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Amazingly, yes. You get 2 redshirts one regular and one medical(if applicable). He would need to apply for the medical if he wanted to play the 21-22 season but they would surely give it to him given how much time he has missed due to injury his first 2 seasons.

Wow, didn't realize that. Thanks for clarifying!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Really, you get 5 years to play 4. Only 1 redshirt, regardless of reason. If you've used a redshirt, and then you lose another full season after that, you can apply for a 6th year once you've used up your 5. You're not guaranteed it though, as it's not always granted.

If Al wanted to stay for his 6th year, he'd have to wait until this year is complete, fill out the paper work, and then sit around and wait for the NCAA to make its decision.

Reaction Score
Think Bruce Kuscinski (sp?)

I don’t think so. That would’ve been early 80s he graduate from BCentral ‘79 I played against him when he was a sophomore. Thinking maybe mid 80s Broxton, Eddie Williams, Coles etc? I’m not sure though.

Reaction Score
Tim Abromaitis didn't get a 6th year for Notre Dame back in the day even though he had one regular redshirt and then was seeking medical

Reaction Score

You get 5 years to play 4!

Reaction Score
Some notes on practice.

Practice is relentless motion for 2.5 hours. Except for huddles and waiting to drill maybe, they are moving. All 4 coaches very involved, each coach commenting, teaching, encouraging, correcting, keeping the flow moving. Several defensive drills, emphasis on fast feet, hustle, teamwork, rotating, physicality. Offensive spacing, screening, passing, finding the open shooter, inside or out.

Springs Will definitely play this year, and have a frontcourt impact. Has a knack for being around the ball down low, can score it from inside, rebounds, plays D, still learning Hurley's defense. He is more athletic than I thought, bigger and stronger also, and will be a very valuable player especially as he develops.

Adams Heavily part of the mix, will see plenty of minutes in Hurley's 3 guard mixes. Tough, physical guard, a big guard, plays 100% all the time. Dribbles well, not flashy, doesn't turn it over, will penetrate perimeter D and make decisions, good solid player. If he has his shot going they'll feed him.
I wouldn't be too sure about that, his initials are telling.

Reaction Score
But can apply for a 6th/4th like in this case and probably would be granted. Well he is at UConn so one would never know actually!
AG could probably get his masters and a doctorate before his eligibility is up. Dr. Gilbert has a nice ring to it.

Reaction Score
Tim Abromaitis didn't get a 6th year for Notre Dame back in the day even though he had one regular redshirt and then was seeking medical
AG has 2 separate seasons with medical issues where he played only a few games. No "voluntary redshirt year", which I think helps get the 6th year granted.

Reaction Score
Cole is undersized. And I can’t stress enough how much he’s going to surprise people. I know I should be excited for this season, and I really am, but what’s got me really pumped is the 20-21 lineup of Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Akok, and Carlton playing in the Big East!!

Cole isn't going to wow you with fancy ball-handling, but he is very efficient with his footwork and dribbling. That will make him look less-athletic, but he has the quickness to get by people when he needs to. He also has a lightning quick release on his jumper.

Reaction Score
Cole isn't going to wow you with fancy ball-handling, but he is very efficient with his footwork and dribbling. That will make him look less-athletic, but he has the quickness to get by people when he needs to. He also has a lightning quick release on his jumper.
Kinda like Marcus Williams?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom