One writer's thoughts on Caroline Ducharme | Page 5 | The Boneyard

One writer's thoughts on Caroline Ducharme

Reaction Score
She effectively guarded Ashlyn Shade in their high school matchup.
I've seen two of their games. In the first one, Ayanna managed to keep Ashlynn under control. But in the second one, when Ashlynn was a junior, she wasn't really able to. Ashlynn led a rout.

To everyone else who's responded, I don't mean to say Caroline is too slow, or Ayanna either. I like their speed just fine. And I'm endlessly impressed with Caroline's moves in the lane and her footwork. She's plenty fast enough for the role she's carved out for herself. But I wouldn't ask either one to guard a speedy shooting guard without help. Often, "help" can solve the problem, but sometimes a speedy guard just can't be contained. KML was often put in situations where she just wasn't quick enough to guard some players for lack of foot speed. But she was too good a shooter to take out.

We can dream of a lineup with Azzi Caroline Ayanna Aaliyah Dorka -- it looks pretty awesome for some occasions. But it will be a slow lineup overall (watch the UCLA game to see what the looks like). If having Ayanna play the 3 solves a particular problem, I'm all for it. I'm not sure I can imagine a situation where it would help to have her playing the 2. Her natural position looks to me to be the 4. I don't want to spend all that athleticism on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
I disagree on Ayanna's quickness. Watching the all-star games I saw Ayanna often switch off on guards while she more than held her own. She was like watching an Octopuses arms going everywhere. I think we are in for a big surprise with her footwork, she is not a plodder, more like a frisky filly. Let's not ignore the fact that most freshman have a learning curve. We will have to wait to see how steep Her's and the rest of our newbies will be. Pls forgive the analogies to the animal kingdom, I got carried away.

+1
A giraffe can run over 35 mph but it takes several strides to reach speed. Fast but not quick. ONO fast. Patterson has extremely quick feet for someone thought to be a paint player.
Quick feet can move the wrong way just like slow feet and the question is how advanced is Patterson's skill set.
I want to hear Geno say "Patterson? You ask her to do something and she does it." That will indicate to me that she's in the mix.

Reaction Score
IMO you need to look at the strengths they bring and not worry who starts and get caught up in all of that. And most importantly what have we heard Geno say many, many times? "Do what you're good at."

For example just looking at Ayanna for discussion; did you know in Ayanna's junior year she was guarding the sr Caroline and basically shut her down in a summer league game? You think Caroline is a starter, right? Yet the summer before Ayanna shut her down. It's because she is a freak athlete with good size. Don't you agree she will be in the 99% percentile in WCBB athleticism and that she is very strong and has decent 6'2 size? That defense is and always has been welcome at UCONN.

So not only defense, but she is probably going to be able to offensive rebound, right? And because she is bigger/stronger and to a certain extent more athletic inside than Aubrey Griffin, she'll probably be able to finish inside better too, right? And any player around her size 5'10 to 6'4, she'll probably be able to defend in an excellent manner, right? These things aren't highlighted during these all-star games.

And add to that, did you know she is a good ball-handler? How can she highlight that in the all-star games when the guards want to showcase their talents while she is stuck inside?

UCONN doesn't play one-on-one. She is a tremendous fit for the 4 position. Some think she is more of a 3, I don't agree. The only way she sees significant time at the 3, excluding blowouts, is if Lou just can't cut it. So in summery, early in her career she'll be more athletic than 99% of the competition thus able to defend near any player near her size while also have enough explosive combination of athleticism and strength be able to rebound both offense and defense while also progressing by scoring inside then as her career progresses hit outside shots more effectively. All-the-while she is a good ball handler with quickness for her size in which each year (not much her 1st year) will become apparent.
Obviously, I have nothing to back this up beyond pictures and videos, but I would not be at all surprised if Ayanna is much closer to 6’3” than her reported 6’2”! Every time I see her, she for sure looks taller than Caroline and looks to be equal (or taller) than Ice & Aliyah. Perhaps this is simply wishful thinking but “That’s my story and I’m sticking to it”!

Reaction Score
I saw Ice and Ayanna play in games with the top players in the country.....I was not impressed. They have a long way to go before they can start at UCONN
Were those top players running UConns offense and sharing the play. Passing to the player with the best shot not the next shot?

Reaction Score
I've seen two of their games. In the first one, Ayanna managed to keep Ashlynn under control. But in the second one, when Ashlynn was a junior, she wasn't really able to. Ashlynn led a rout.

To everyone else who's responded, I don't mean to say Caroline is too slow, or Ayanna either. I like their speed just fine. And I'm endlessly impressed with Caroline's moves in the lane and her footwork. She's plenty fast enough for the role she's carved out for herself. But I wouldn't ask either one to guard a speedy shooting guard without help. Often, "help" can solve the problem, but sometimes a speedy guard just can't be contained. KML was often put in situations where she just wasn't quick enough to guard some players for lack of foot speed. But she was too good a shooter to take out.

We can dream of a lineup with Azzi Caroline Ayanna Aaliyah Dorka -- it looks pretty awesome for some occasions. But it will be a slow lineup overall (watch the UCLA game to see what the looks like). If having Ayanna play the 3 solves a particular problem, I'm all for it. I'm not sure I can imagine a situation where it would help to have her playing the 2. Her natural position looks to me to be the 4. I don't want to spend all that athleticism on the perimeter.

Slow against a team that plays 4 Dangerfields for sure but slow overall? That's one of the last phrases I'd use to describe that lineup. Edwards runs like a gazelle. You think Fudd has no quickness? You must have passed judgement last November when she tried to play through her foot injury. She was a step slow then.

Reaction Score
Slow against a team that plays 4 Dangerfields for sure but slow overall? That's one of the last phrases I'd use to describe that lineup. Edwards runs like a gazelle. You think Fudd has no quickness? You must have passed judgement last November when she tried to play through her foot injury. She was a step slow then.
I didn't mean each of them would be slow. The unit as a whole would be slow. Fudd is very quick. Like I've urged others to do, watch the UCLA game from last year and watch what happened when we had Olivia Dorka Aliyah on the floor together with Evina and Christyn. They were slow -- not Evina and Christyn, but the entire unit. Rotations were slow or late, we couldn't switch readily, which meant UCLA could get open shots and paths down the lane. Charisma Osborne Jaelynn Penn, even IImar'i Thomas, beat us to the ball and the hoop. This isn't for the whole game, of course, but for the time when we played that unit. We won the game. largely because of 4th quarter heroics. And even though we eventually won by 10, watch the final 1:30 for a scary ride.

Reaction Score
I didn't mean each of them would be slow. The unit as a whole would be slow. Fudd is very quick. Like I've urged others to do, watch the UCLA game from last year and watch what happened when we had Olivia Dorka Aliyah on the floor together with Evina and Christyn. They were slow -- not Evina and Christyn, but the entire unit. Rotations were slow or late, we couldn't switch readily, which meant UCLA could get open shots and paths down the lane. Charisma Osborne Jaelynn Penn, even IImar'i Thomas, beat us to the ball and the hoop. This isn't for the whole game, of course, but for the time when we played that unit. We won the game. largely because of 4th quarter heroics. And even though we eventually won by 10, watch the final 1:30 for a scary ride.

Tough time last December. Starting pg and leading scorer out; backup pg - out; best shooter - OUT. UConn played 7 and No 7 DeBerry played 2 minutes. The five starters and Edwards held UCLA to 61 pts and a 10 point win. I won't dispute what you saw but the entire team had to stay out of foul trouble (Edwards had zero fouls).
Besides, 60% of the group you listed are gone. Juhasz remains (16pts, 16rbs) And I have a hard time drawing any conclusions based on last year's numbers. Chaos reigned and roles were redefined weekly. I think that will pay off this year. When handicapping a horse's chances I like to see that it had unusual trouble in it's last race. People will just see the finish position and draw their conclusion but sometimes you have to look past the raw numbers.

Reaction Score
Tough time last December. Starting pg and leading scorer out; backup pg - out; best shooter - OUT. UConn played 7 and No 7 DeBerry played 2 minutes. The five starters and Edwards held UCLA to 61 pts and a 10 point win. I won't dispute what you saw but the entire team had to stay out of foul trouble (Edwards had zero fouls).
Besides, 60% of the group you listed are gone. Juhasz remains (16pts, 16rbs) And I have a hard time drawing any conclusions based on last year's numbers. Chaos reigned and roles were redefined weekly. I think that will pay off this year. When handicapping a horse's chances I like to see that it had unusual trouble in it's last race. People will just see the finish position and draw their conclusion but sometimes you have to look past the raw numbers.
I agree with your assessment and your optimism. I only cite that game as an easy way to see what happens when we put a big team on the floor. The speedy little folks are important too. If we play a big squad, we are vulnerable to that. Tennessee last year was in this situation often — a quite large team but lacking in overall team speed. We had better options once more of our guards could play.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think it depends on two things about Ayanna: (a) the range, quality and reliability of her jump shot; and (b) the speed with which she picks up the UConn system and the decision-making that goes with it. Those are the areas where I think Caroline has an edge, perhaps a decided edge.
Yep, two freshmen will dominate UCONN's front court. Sure that will happen. Ayanna will displace Caroline. http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/rotfl.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I disagree on Ayanna's quickness. Watching the all-star games I saw Ayanna often switch off on guards while she more than held her own. She was like watching an Octopuses arms going everywhere. I think we are in for a big surprise with her footwork, she is not a plodder, more like a frisky filly. Let's not ignore the fact that most freshman have a learning curve. We will have to wait to see how steep Her's and the rest of our newbies will be. Pls forgive the analogies to the animal kingdom, I got carried away.
I saw Ayanna be " quick" in the FIBA 3X3 tournament with Kiki Rice, Ms. Barker, and M Williams. Yanna
had a number of quick defensive moves and stunning blocks in the 3 X 3 matchup with Germany
(if memory serves be correctly). The German ladies seemed more than surprised, even though
they saw Yanna doing dunks in the warmups. See the replays on YouTube/ Fiba 3X3 2021.
Go Yanna, Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment and your optimism. I only cite that game as an easy way to see what happens when we put a big team on the floor. The speedy little folks are important too. If we play a big squad, we are vulnerable to that. Tennessee last year was in this situation often — a quite large team but lacking in overall team speed. We had better options once more of our guards could play.

+1

Those UCLA drives down the lane do make UConn's guards appear slow but I'll wager if you add up all the points UCLA scored on those drives it wouldn't be more than 25 or so. A dozen drives looks like more than it is. UConn played without 3 backcourt players and won by double digits.

I can remember playing the Bruins in the regionals one year when they had a very quick backcourt and it was the same result.

Reaction Score
+1

Those UCLA drives down the lane do make UConn's guards appear slow but I'll wager if you add up all the points UCLA scored on those drives it wouldn't be more than 25 or so. A dozen drives looks like more than it is. UConn played without 3 backcourt players and won by double digits.

I can remember playing the Bruins in the regionals one year when they had a very quick backcourt and it was the same result.
You don’t have to defend UConn to me. I think we showed a lot of pluck that day. But there’s more to this story.

It would have been even more embarrassing losing to them than to Ga Tech. Two of those losses would have been demoralizing. In the first quarter, it looked like we were sleepwalking until Evina put the team on her back and shot us back into competitive range. Those drives to the lane might not seem so damaging (points wise) now, but at the time I imagine the girls felt like they were losing control of the game. It took a lot character to pull the team back from that emotional precipice.

Thinking of the Louisville game, which Caroline was so timely in. Playing them close might not have been possible if we’d lost in this one.

Reaction Score
You don’t have to defend UConn to me. I think we showed a lot of pluck that day. But there’s more to this story.

It would have been even more embarrassing losing to them than to Ga Tech. Two of those losses would have been demoralizing. In the first quarter, it looked like we were sleepwalking until Evina put the team on her back and shot us back into competitive range. Those drives to the lane might not seem so damaging (points wise) now, but at the time I imagine the girls felt like they were losing control of the game. It took a lot character to pull the team back from that emotional precipice.

Thinking of the Louisville game, which Caroline was so timely in. Playing them close might not have been possible if we’d lost in this one.

The Boston Celtics of the 60's had a very effective defensive strategy; force opposing guards to drive down the middle of the lane where Russell would destroy them. Russell didn't play for the Huskies so the UConn defense switched on all screens, passing opposing ball handlers from player to player. It was/is very effective in stopping drives off screens but when your roster is down 3 guards it becomes problematic.

I think of last season (up until the BET) as a nightmare. I don't dwell on bad dreams. My mother taught me that if I just turn my pillow over I could safely go back to sleep and forget the nightmare. It worked every time. :D

Reaction Score
The Boston Celtics of the 60's had a very effective defensive strategy; force opposing guards to drive down the middle of the lane where Russell would destroy them. Russell didn't play for the Huskies so the UConn defense switched on all screens, passing opposing ball handlers from player to player. It was/is very effective in stopping drives off screens but when your roster is down 3 guards it becomes problematic.

I think of last season (up until the BET) as a nightmare. I don't dwell on bad dreams. My mother taught me that if I just turn my pillow over I could safely go back to sleep and forget the nightmare. It worked every time. :D
I totally know what you mean. There are some games I just can't watch replays of and the Louisville game is one of them. Also the loss to Arizona two years ago. Too painful. And there's no way I can watch last year's NC game against SC. Way too painful. On the other hand, starting with Azzi's resurgence, there are some delightful games to enjoy before the BET, like the first Marquette game. I highly recommend it. And the Tennessee game. Azzi absolutely owned those teams.

Surprisingly, I still enjoy watching that ND game -- at least the first 38 minutes, before Paige's injury. But there was something wonderful about the way she turned all their foul-fakery (acting so as to get a call -- it seemed like their main tactic) against them in the second half. They got what they deserved.

Reaction Score
I'm really interested to see Azzi shift over to PG when Nika is off the floor. She has the skills and largely ran offense in the half court during her last international play when she was still having the foot issues. Then you can get a mash up of Lou and Caroline at the 2 with Aubrey or Ayanna at the 3 for periods of time. All 4 of them can mash up to cover those 2 positions and even change between offense and defense. A lot of versatility.

sun

Reaction Score
For the UConn players who want to enhance their individual national reputations as being future WNBA stars, this is their golden opportunity.
Not to mention improving their own NIL opportunities.
Nothing speaks louder than being successful as underdogs with the odds stacked against them to begin the season.
You know that will be the theme of any nationally televised games that they play, even though that might change going into the NCAAT's.
A lot depends on the emerging stars and how much noise they can make on the court as a team.
The sooner they click together the better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm really interested to see Azzi shift over to PG when Nika is off the floor. She has the skills and largely ran offense in the half court during her last international play when she was still having the foot issues. Then you can get a mash up of Lou and Caroline at the 2 with Aubrey or Ayanna at the 3 for periods of time. All 4 of them can mash up to cover those 2 positions and even change between offense and defense. A lot of versatility.

If Geno can find 2 or 3 legit outside scorers then Fudd will be able to play some pg. If not she will stay at the 2/3. I think there are better outside alternatives this season than were available in the 2021 season.

Reaction Score
If Geno can find 2 or 3 legit outside scorers then Fudd will be able to play some pg. If not she will stay at the 2/3. I think there are better outside alternatives this season than were available in the 2021 season.
In my opinion, he will have no choice. Nika is still Nika even without Paige so there will be fouls and she will have to sit from time to time in big games. Ines won't be ready in big games so Azzi becomes the PG. Yeah Caroline played all positions in HS but I can't see her playing the PG at any time.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
20 years ago.
Game has changed.
Players are bigger.
It would be very interesting to see a game between last year's South Carolina team and the UConn 2002 National Championship team. Personally I think 2002 would have won by about 10. I think Asjha would have moved Ms. Boston a safe distance from the hoop and mostly shut down her offensive rebounding, and I think Tamika Williams would have kept Victaria Saxton from being a factor. Henderson might have done as well as she actually did in last year's NC game, but that would not be enough to offset the offense from Sue / Diana / Swin, or the offensive rebounds that UConn would get in that game.

Reaction Score
It would be very interesting to see a game between last year's South Carolina team and the UConn 2002 National Championship team. Personally I think 2002 would have won by about 10. I think Asjha would have moved Ms. Boston a safe distance from the hoop and mostly shut down her offensive rebounding, and I think Tamika Williams would have kept Victaria Saxton from being a factor. Henderson might have done as well as she actually did in last year's NC game, but that would not be enough to offset the offense from Sue / Diana / Swin, or the offensive rebounds that UConn would get in that game.
No way Henderson scores like that against Sue or Diana. In fact, no way she does that against a healthy Paige and Azzi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom