One writer's thoughts on Caroline Ducharme | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One writer's thoughts on Caroline Ducharme

Reaction Score
This is what I have been saying all year about Caroline Ducharme. She is the next Katie Lou Samuelson.They are about the same height and Caroline is one of the best 3-point shooter on the team. Caroline holds her own in rebounds and blocked shots. This year I expect her turnover s per game will greatly improve. She proved she can take over this team and lead them. I pray she will not go down with an unforseen injury or anyone else on the team. Looking forward to a GREAT YEAR. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
There is more than a minor chance that Ayanna may beat out Caroline for the starting wing position, in which case the writer's forecast will definitely be overoptimistic.
I’ll be absolutely shocked if Ayanna starts over Caroline! That obviously doesn’t mean she won’t but I’d have to put my money on Caroline. I would not be surprised to see Ayanna become an important contributor but I doubt that it will be at Caroline’s position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it depends on two things about Ayanna: (a) the range, quality and reliability of her jump shot; and (b) the speed with which she picks up the UConn system and the decision-making that goes with it. Those are the areas where I think Caroline has an edge, perhaps a decided edge.

But when it comes to a comparison of pure athleticism, Ayanna appears to me to be bigger, faster, slightly stronger, and a better leaper. I am guessing that she will be more of a rebounding presence than Caroline.

Even if Ayanna starts, I would expect Caroline to get major minutes, and for the two of them to essentially split the minutes at the wing position. I would expect the same if Caroline is the starter. Geno will go with whoever is playing better on that particular day.

Another possibility is for Caroline to start and play most of the minutes on the wing (with some time for Aubrey), and for Ayanna to join the scrum in the paint, where Dorka / Aaliyah / Ice / Amari are already competing for minutes.

If rebounding is a problem, I can imagine Dorka, Amari, and Caroline sitting while Aaliyah / Ice / Ayanna get the big minutes, even though none of them is over 6-3. Then the front court will look like 2002, when Swin / Asjha / Tamika were the UConn front court despite none of them being as tall as one might prefer.
Interesting speculation. I suspect that if Ayanna wins a starting role at the 3, it won't be at Caroline's expense. In that case, I imagine we'll start Azzi, Caroline, Ayanna, Aaliyah and Dorka. The only issue with this unit would be overall team speed. But I can imagine it working against some opponents. In fact, I'm confident we'll see this unit, maybe not as a starting five, but getting some time in games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It seems the BY in general thinks Ayanna has a better shot to break in big and possibly get in the starting line up over Ice. which surprises me since I think Ice is more developed offensively and that is pretty important for spacing and diverse offense. It will be an interesting internal competition between those two.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think it depends on two things about Ayanna: (a) the range, quality and reliability of her jump shot; and (b) the speed with which she picks up the UConn system and the decision-making that goes with it. Those are the areas where I think Caroline has an edge, perhaps a decided edge.

But when it comes to a comparison of pure athleticism, Ayanna appears to me to be bigger, faster, slightly stronger, and a better leaper. I am guessing that she will be more of a rebounding presence than Caroline.

Even if Ayanna starts, I would expect Caroline to get major minutes, and for the two of them to essentially split the minutes at the wing position. I would expect the same if Caroline is the starter. Geno will go with whoever is playing better on that particular day.

Another possibility is for Caroline to start and play most of the minutes on the wing (with some time for Aubrey), and for Ayanna to join the scrum in the paint, where Dorka / Aaliyah / Ice / Amari are already competing for minutes.

If rebounding is a problem, I can imagine Dorka, Amari, and Caroline sitting while Aaliyah / Ice / Ayanna get the big minutes, even though none of them is over 6-3. Then the front court will look like 2002, when Swin / Asjha / Tamika were the UConn front court despite none of them being as tall as one might prefer.
1662686004502.png

Reaction Score
There is more than a minor chance that Ayanna may beat out Caroline for the starting wing position, in which case the writer's forecast will definitely be overoptimistic.
If Patterson proves able to play the 3 it frees up Ducharme to move to the 2 with Fudd at pg. It's not a starting lineup but if Patterson could play 10 minutes at the 3 it frees up 10 minutes for the other guards to rotate. Of course it depends on a freshman playing meaningful minutes but that has been the norm lately. Right?

Reaction Score
Fudd and Ducharme are both eligible for a big sophomore jumps. And considering what they did last year while playing through injuries the jump could be significant. Each of them would be the feature scorer on most teams. Ducharme didn't get the press of Fudd but she ended up the No 5 recruit in the country (ESPN). Nos 2,3 & 4 were SCar's but even as hobbled as Ducharme was most of the season she had a far better season than the three Gamecock freshmen.

Reaction Score
I see zero intention for Ayanna to play the 3. We have Lou and Caroline at the 3 already and I'm convinced no one else is going to get much PT at that spot outside of injuries. I love Ayanna's game but her outside shooting and handle are not her strength. She's a 4 or 5, mainly a 4. I see Ice as equally capable overall and more college ready if anything. Ice played big time competition coming from a big High school in California. Ayanna played with munchkins. Not dumping on either of them but neither is knocking Caroline from the lineup in this reality. I see a rotation mainly of Dorka, AE, Ice, Ayanna and Aubrey at the 4 and 5 with Amari as injury depth. Fortunately, we now have some depth at all the positions and we are probably going to need it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Caroline proved last season she is a " go to player". She knows how to score with confidence and without Paige on the floor UConn needs her to do what she showed us last season when she was the player Geno choose to win the game for UConn.

I feel this season will be a Team of Balance. I expect Edwards Fudd and Caroline to handle most of the scoring. I expect them to be big this season. With that said our freshman will be brought along and should be ready the second half of the season to make an impact. Nika and Dorka will have their moments to excel and I expect them to do so. Lou off the bench will be instant offense. Ines with be brought along and used as a backup for Nika. It may take her some time to learn Genos system. It is a new experience for her to play in America and to play under Genos tutelage. One question and its a big one is how effective will Griff be. She could make a huge difference on both sides of the ball if she can come back healthy. That will determine her minutes.

I dont care what the polls say and for the past 25 years of posting on all boards I dont care what the media says. Geno develops players and they perform the way he wants. Its called discipline. Im not sure how other teams will perform against UConn but I am confident that with their talent and as long as they stay healthy UConn will be one of the teams to beat. Moving into February and March UConn will be primed to win the National Championship because they have the talent, discipline and they have Geno.

Reaction Score
As a Freshman, Caroline surprised many fans, as she came forth with superb efforts when the team really needed it when Paige was not in the lineup. I hope she expands in that way again this coming year.
Caroline did not surprise me. I was one of her biggest cheerleaders last season, especially at the start of the season. Players can only get into a rhythm when they are on the floor and grow that confidence. When Caroline would get pulled after one or two bad plays or play only 3-8 minutes, you can't get into a flow like that or grow your confidence. You never want to see a player get hurt but having players get hurt last season, allowed Caroline to get more minutes and gain the trust of the coaching staff. She was allowed to play through mistakes as the season progressed. So whatever happens this season, I will be rooting for all of the players to do well, especially Caroline. She just has that competitive greatness about her.

Reaction Score
My favorite player growing up was Bill Bradley. CD is a great comparison to him. Well rounded and team oriented, a true 3! Just love her game! There were so many great/solid 3s as I learned the game… Havlicek, Marin, Dandridge, among others.….just vital to team success.

Reaction Score
Azzi was ranked #1 in high school, Ca
Azzi was ranked #1 in high school, Caroline was #5, not a huge difference

caroline was #5, not a huge differenceI
I specifically stated: Caroline was NOT 1,2,3, 5 is pretty good but in some rankings she was about 30 . I believe after an injury. Personally I thought she should be number 1. Now 1 A Plus.
During the absence of Paige Caroline had the opportunity to show her stuff. A bit later in that absence, AZZI showed us why she was ranked 1. What Uconn fan could NOT have loved that??? 1,2,3,4,5 or 30 at that point no longer mattered, it was PRODUCE time.

Reaction Score
My favorite player growing up was Bill Bradley. CD is a great comparison to him. Well rounded and team oriented, a true 3! Just love her game! There were so many great/solid 3s as I learned the game… Havlicek, Marin, Dandridge, among others.….just vital to team success.
Bill Bradley was, during his time, a FAVORITE. An academic super star, Basketball player--great combination. I hope Caroline's grade sare equally good.

Reaction Score
Caroline is going to "show her butt" this year. I mean that in a good and respectful way. I really think she's going to live up to ALL of the hopes, dreams and aspirations of Geno and UConn fans. Don't surprised when (not if) Caroline is anointed as the BADD ASS of several games this year. I'm telling you now...............you're being fore-warned. I'm giving you a little peek into the future. It's coming. UConn beat writers will be using lots of adjectives to describe Ducharme this season. "BADD ASS" will be one of them! ;) A moniker she will earn!!!
A Navy pilot would have said ---her six. I agree, opponents will only see her six as she is blurr driving to the basket. I too have great expectations--someone should write a book!!

Reaction Score
Is Aubrey really a wing? Wings can handle the ball fairly well and should be above average shooters. Has she proven she can do both well enough to be a wing at UConn. Serious question. I see her more as an undersized 4. A rebounder and scrapper.
After multiple surgeries--and disk ectomy if I were she, I would rest on my achievements. If, if she plays, I'd have to see her play before I could write my expectations for her. My projections are filled with cautions

Reaction Score
As a Freshman, Caroline surprised many fans, as she came forth with superb efforts when the team really needed it when Paige was not in the lineup. I hope she expands in that way again this coming year.
Smart, talented people tend to take advantage of opportunities. Caroline, for a Freshmen (out of necessity) used it to her (and Uconn's) advantage. A rare opportunity.

Reaction Score
I strongly agree with your analysis as well as your original premise. It will all depend on where Geno first tries to utilize Ayanna and to a certain extent the health of Aubrey Griffin. AE also came into you a very capable wing defender but had to be utilized in the post to provide ruggedness next to ONO. If for some reason Ice, Dorka, Amari are not getting it done up front, and by getting it done I specifically mean rebounding and easy buckets Ayanna will be utilized in that role. Now if they (Ice, Dorka, Amari) are getting it done that frees up Ayanna to be a monster wing player and Caroline to play SG.
I agree. Initially Ayanna may be (for Geno) a look and see. My hope are for her to take a major role as quickly as she is able. Aubrey, I have liked since day one. She is a question mark. I hope she is ready, I hope she returns equal or more effective than she had been--of course Ayanna is a Question mark until she proves otherwise.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can’t say specifically what Ducharme is going to do, just that she will have a major role in UConn’s success this year. I think she replaces Paige in the starting lineup. Last year she showed what she can do when given the opportunity to play through freshman mistakes. I expect Ducharme to make a significant sophomore leap this year, becoming more comfortable as a leader, starter and at times a go-to player.

Reaction Score
More likely by the end of the year they will share equal time. But yes, there is a minor chance. I wouldn't be surprised to see Caroline logging minutes as an off guard in some situations.
Interesting thought. Initially wanted to comment that Caroline didn't have the defensive foot speed to play off guard, but after some consideration, thinking her injury last year likely hindered her one on one defensive performance. Suspect Caroline's combination of height and long arm length can make her a great zone defender and create issues for many guards and wings when isolated one on one.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Patterson, who recorded a team-high 17 points in a win over Hamilton Southeastern late Tuesday afternoon, is distinguished immediately by her length and strength — the 6-foot-3 wing is an absolute force on the glass and an intimidating presence in the paint — but it's her athleticism that really grabs your attention when watching her play.

Reaction Score
I share everyone's optimism for Caroline.
I feel this season will be a Team of Balance. I expect Edwards Fudd and Caroline to handle most of the scoring.
This is my view as well. But I wonder how this will actually play out. For UConn to avg 80pts/g, will it be enough for the big three -- Azzi Caroline Aaliyah -- just to score 40? Or is it more likely they'll be scoring in the 45-50 range? 20+15+15 shared somehow among them each night? I expect Dorka to avg 10pts/g, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lou avg 10pts/g, and if she finds her footing quickly I can imagine Ice scoring 10-15 in some games, maybe Ayanna too. That is, if Azzi Caroline Aaliyah regularly account for 40-50 pts, the others can find ways to contribute to the total with less pressure. I'm sure there will be some nights when Azzi or Caroline put in 30 as well. If Amari Aubrey Nika Ines contribute good D and 15-20 between them, I can see the team totaling 80+pts/g on average.

And I expect we'll have a couple of double digit rebounders in this group. Could there be a regular double-double player among them? If Aaliyah has a breakout season, it could be her.Maybe Dorka too. Ice and Ayanna look to be capable of it as well.

opponents will only see her six as she is blurr driving to the basket.
I know Caroline will get past defenders to the hoop. But a "blur"? She's shown she knows how to do this. But it's not speed that gets her there. The injury clearly slowed her down last season -- this was apparent in her clipped stride in the second half -- but even in high school, she was not speedy. She's just a canny basketball player (as Geno likes to say) who knows how to use her height advantage in most situations to muscle past smaller players who have to respect her outside shot, or how to put bigger players on her hip who just aren't as quick or clever as she is with her footwork. Plus she has an arsenal of floaters and banks shots she can put up from in close. This makes her a nightmare to cover.

Go, Caroline! We all believe in you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It seems the BY in general thinks Ayanna has a better shot to break in big and possibly get in the starting line up over Ice. which surprises me since I think Ice is more developed offensively and that is pretty important for spacing and diverse offense. It will be an interesting internal competition between those two.
Honestly don't think these two will be competing with each other-I actually think you are looking at the front court foundation for #12 and beyond. Ice is a foundation piece because she is so skilled and will make plays from all over while Patterson will make plays with sheer athleticism while her other BB skill set develops. I sort of agree with @Charliebball assessment that Ice especially might be a starter by end of season as UCONN looks to the future, Paige's return and a post Boston WCBB landscape. Patterson you are just not going to be able to keep off the floor because good things are going to happen while she is out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom