One writer's thoughts on Caroline Ducharme | Page 3 | The Boneyard

One writer's thoughts on Caroline Ducharme

Reaction Score
Honestly don't think these two will be competing with each other-I actually think you are looking at the front court foundation for #12 and beyond. Ice is a foundation piece because she is so skilled and will make plays from all over while Patterson will make plays with sheer athleticism while her other BB skill set develops. I sort of agree with @Charliebball assessment that Ice especially might be a starter by end of season as UCONN looks to the future, Paige's return and a post Boston WCBB landscape. Patterson you are just not going to be able to keep off the floor because good things are going to happen while she is out there.
Spot---ON. .

Reaction Score
Caroline did not surprise me. I was one of her biggest cheerleaders last season, especially at the start of the season. Players can only get into a rhythm when they are on the floor and grow that confidence. When Caroline would get pulled after one or two bad plays or play only 3-8 minutes, you can't get into a flow like that or grow your confidence. You never want to see a player get hurt but having players get hurt last season, allowed Caroline to get more minutes and gain the trust of the coaching staff. She was allowed to play through mistakes as the season progressed. So whatever happens this season, I will be rooting for all of the players to do well, especially Caroline. She just has that competitive greatness about her.
The injury of Paige was a disaster (of sorts) but a very big opportunity for the RIGHT player. Now, Freshmen were REQUIRED to perform. Big big plus.
To be ready for high talented teams--you must play against high talented team. AZZI and Caroline had an OPPERTUNITY, both made mistakes, but when the game was on the line---few freshman played better than they.
I was high on Caroline early on, because of her name. She, with talent and determination, lived up to my belief in her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Interesting thought. Initially wanted to comment that Caroline didn't have the defensive foot speed to play off guard, but after some consideration, thinking her injury last year likely hindered her one on one defensive performance. Suspect Caroline's combination of height and long arm length can make her a great zone defender and create issues for many guards and wings when isolated one on one.
Indeed. Ayanna also may not have the size to play against most 5's, but she has the athleticism to play against some smaller posts, and the quickness to play against wings. I see Caroline coming in against certain teams to play the off guard. Because of Ayanna's swiss army knife versatility and Caroline's ability to play off her position is the reason why I think both Caroline and Ayanna will get equal minutes as the season progresses.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Honestly don't think these two will be competing with each other-I actually think you are looking at the front court foundation for #12 and beyond. Ice is a foundation piece because she is so skilled and will make plays from all over while Patterson will make plays with sheer athleticism while her other BB skill set develops. I sort of agree with @Charliebball assessment that Ice especially might be a starter by end of season as UCONN looks to the future, Paige's return and a post Boston WCBB landscape. Patterson you are just not going to be able to keep off the floor because good things are going to happen while she is out there.
Can't disagree. But I also think that Ayanna's ability to play defense against so many areas on the court will get her minutes in many diverse situations. I agree that Ice is more developed offensively, but again, Ayanna has the ability to be Geno's Draymond Green. Ice's future at the post will depend on her ability to use her girth, as Tuck did, to deny bigger posts their spots on the floor. I don't see Ice as overly athletic, but rather more refined and precise in her offensive and defensive skills. With her shooting ability, passing skills, and slickness around the basket I think she's better suited to be a nice foil to Amari's post.

Reaction Score
Caroline proved last season she is a " go to player". She knows how to score with confidence and without Paige on the floor UConn needs her to do what she showed us last season when she was the player Geno choose to win the game for UConn.

I feel this season will be a Team of Balance. I expect Edwards Fudd and Caroline to handle most of the scoring. I expect them to be big this season. With that said our freshman will be brought along and should be ready the second half of the season to make an impact. Nika and Dorka will have their moments to excel and I expect them to do so. Lou off the bench will be instant offense. Ines with be brought along and used as a backup for Nika. It may take her some time to learn Genos system. It is a new experience for her to play in America and to play under Genos tutelage. One question and its a big one is how effective will Griff be. She could make a huge difference on both sides of the ball if she can come back healthy. That will determine her minutes.

I dont care what the polls say and for the past 25 years of posting on all boards I dont care what the media says. Geno develops players and they perform the way he wants. Its called discipline. Im not sure how other teams will perform against UConn but I am confident that with their talent and as long as they stay healthy UConn will be one of the teams to beat. Moving into February and March UConn will be primed to win the National Championship because they have the talent, discipline and they have Geno.
I anticipate Dorka scoring more poinsts than ONO did in her senior year (Dorka's fifth year). They
are different type of players. Also Dorka will be
priming for the WNBA and Geno (IMO) wants to give her the best opportunity to have a low
draft number ( and a wonderful career in the WNBA ).

Reaction Score
I found this to be a strange article. I don't demean the authors intention suggest that Caroline might be great this year. That is true. But the premise, based upon someone in South Florida said ( 0-9 vs 0-30) was nonsensical. The statement, and the conclusion drawn from that statement, made zero sense. The darkest element of the article was the comment that Azzi's foot injury " still lingers." If that is the case, there is something systemically wrong. And she needs to be re-xrayed, have surgery, or sit down now for two months. Foot injuries cannot be " played through" in basketball. In most anything actually. Maybe chess is okay. Perhaps the basketball gods are determined not only to deny us seeing Paige and Azzi play together in top form, perhaps they are also determined to deny us seeing either player in top form.

Someone please correct this horrible vision. Is it true that Azzi's foot problem still lingers? What is going on?

Reaction Score
I share everyone's optimism for Caroline.

This is my view as well. But I wonder how this will actually play out. For UConn to avg 80pts/g, will it be enough for the big three -- Azzi Caroline Aaliyah -- just to score 40? Or is it more likely they'll be scoring in the 45-50 range? 20+15+15 shared somehow among them each night? I expect Dorka to avg 10pts/g, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lou avg 10pts/g, and if she finds her footing quickly I can imagine Ice scoring 10-15 in some games, maybe Ayanna too. That is, if Azzi Caroline Aaliyah regularly account for 40-50 pts, the others can find ways to contribute to the total with less pressure. I'm sure there will be some nights when Azzi or Caroline put in 30 as well. If Amari Aubrey Nika Ines contribute good D and 15-20 between them, I can see the team totaling 80+pts/g on average.

And I expect we'll have a couple of double digit rebounders in this group. Could there be a regular double-double player among them? If Aaliyah has a breakout season, it could be her.Maybe Dorka too. Ice and Ayanna look to be capable of it as well.

I know Caroline will get past defenders to the hoop. But a "blur"? She's shown she knows how to do this. But it's not speed that gets her there. The injury clearly slowed her down last season -- this was apparent in her clipped stride in the second half -- but even in high school, she was not speedy. She's just a canny basketball player (as Geno likes to say) who knows how to use her height advantage in most situations to muscle past smaller players who have to respect her outside shot, or how to put bigger players on her hip who just aren't as quick or clever as she is with her footwork. Plus she has an arsenal of floaters and banks shots she can put up from in close. This makes her a nightmare to cover.

Go, Caroline! We all believe in you.
Caroline reminds me of Larry Bird in the sense that instead of overwhelming athleticism she uses intelligence, basketball knowledge, an indomitable will, and elite anticipation. She is already one of my favorite Huskies ever and I think she is really going to raise some eyebrows this season.

Reaction Score
After multiple surgeries--and disk ectomy if I were she, I would rest on my achievements. If, if she plays, I'd have to see her play before I could write my expectations for her. My projections are filled with cautions

In one of the interviews Geno said that if UConn had a game today she would play. That means a 100% clearance from her doctors. And she has 2 months to get stronger.

Reaction Score
I found this to be a strange article. I don't demean the authors intention suggest that Caroline might be great this year. That is true. But the premise, based upon someone in South Florida said ( 0-9 vs 0-30) was nonsensical. The statement, and the conclusion drawn from that statement, made zero sense. The darkest element of the article was the comment that Azzi's foot injury " still lingers." If that is the case, there is something systemically wrong. And she needs to be re-xrayed, have surgery, or sit down now for two months. Foot injuries cannot be " played through" in basketball. In most anything actually. Maybe chess is okay. Perhaps the basketball gods are determined not only to deny us seeing Paige and Azzi play together in top form, perhaps they are also determined to deny us seeing either player in top form.

Someone please correct this horrible vision. Is it true that Azzi's foot problem still lingers? What is going on?

Geno said earlier in the summer that Fudd wasn't participating in ALL the drills involving heavy running and change of direction. The medical staff think that if she kept stressing it all summer the injury could reappear and they were acting out of caution.
I had a stress fracture in a foot that lasted 3 years without treatment. Every once in a while, sometimes sitting still, it would send pain through my foot and I would limp for a couple of days.

Get used to reading this sort of stuff. No 1 guard out. No 2 guard with injured foot. No 3 guard recovering from MAJOR hip surgery. Two senior guards- gone. The starting post- gone.

How UConn can overcome all that is hard to see. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think scoring is not going to be a problem on this team. We have plenty of scorers on this team even without Paige. I think Lou steps right in and is a major scoring threat from day one. Ice is already a better shot than any of the bigs we had last year. I find a 3 big lineup to be very compelling on this team. Call me crazy but I could even see Inez eventually getting significant PT at PG. She might even help us offensively over Nika and penetrate more. This is still a deep team.

Reaction Score
I think scoring is not going to be a problem on this team. We have plenty of scorers on this team even without Paige. I think Lou steps right in and is a major scoring threat from day one. Ice is already a better shot than any of the bigs we had last year. I find a 3 big lineup to be very compelling on this team. Call me crazy but I could even see Inez eventually getting significant PT at PG. She might even help us offensively over Nika and penetrate more. This is still a deep team.
I’m with you on the scorers, and getting them in the game sooner. That probably points to Ice. But I don’t think a 3 big lineup can carry us for more than a few mins a game. I harp on this too much, I know, but that may be too slow as a unit. That said, if Ice finds her shooting touch early, she may be in the rotation with Dorka and Aaliyah pretty quickly.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
"IF" Ayanna does (at some point) start over Caroline, that means doom and gloom for their opponents. I think most of us can guess what we're going to get from Caroline. If Ayanna can still beat her out, humph.!! :eek: I assumed Azzi has grown and matured a little over the summer, and the effects of that growth and development will be easy to see. She said in a recent interview that she's more at ease now. She knows what's coming. No more surprises at this point. She's been around the block once already. Let's just hope that her foot issues that plagued her last year are a thing of the past.

When one stops to contemplate just for a moment, the potential of this team individually and collectively, it makes you shake your head in wonderment. If each player on this roster plays to just 80% of their potential, UConn will be very hard to beat night in and night out.
Other top ten programs have talented teams, but not top to bottom like UConn. There are no projects on this team. Except for the newbies, everyone else is plug and play.

Every player on the roster comes in with an impressive resume. I'm expecting some big things from Brady. A no non sense post player that just wants to come in and help the team any way she can. I think she will impress, and impress early. Look for her to demand more minutes as the season goes on. Geno should have no problem or reservations about putting anyone of his reserves in the game. This includes the newbies once they learn the system. They want to "eat" also.

The exhibition game against Kutztown State (Sun Nov 6), will give us a glimpse of what's to come, but the 2nd game of the season against Texas (home game) on Nov 10 will be the perfect "litmus test" for this program. The Longhorns will come in and give Geno and UConn all they want. Here's a breakdown of the UConn roster without Paige Bueckers...................

Carnac the 2nd game is against Northeastern on 11/10, Texas is the 3rd game on 11/14. I do agree that Texas is the perfect "litmus test" in the early season.

Reaction Score
Is Aubrey really a wing? Wings can handle the ball fairly well and should be above average shooters. Has she proven she can do both well enough to be a wing at UConn. Serious question. I see her more as an undersized 4. A rebounder and scrapper.
No she hasn't proved she can play the wing at all.

Reaction Score
By the way, Aubrey Griffin was a guard in high school averaging over 20 pts. per game. What some are getting caught up in is the definition of the Wing. On this team, Edwards, Patterson, Ducharme, and Griffin can all play in the front court. Ducharme and Griffin have also advanced the ball in past games.
Aubrey stalls the offense in the half court set. Playing HS as a guard is totally different than Div 1. She hasn't shown she is capable yet.

Reaction Score
Nika cannot play 40 minutes. Ines may get some playing time, but I doubt it will be significant playing time. Maybe a couple of minutes here and there, more at the end of blow out games. Towards the end of the season, and depending on how she progresses, maybe her role expands a little bit more. Then again Geno might see Azzi as a better alternative to spell Nika at PG. Remember Geno's tendency is to rely on 6 or 7 players and I don't see Ines being one of those players this year.

Reaction Score
I think the core of the team is going to be Azzi Caroline Aaliyah, barring injury. Everything will revolve around them. Dorka will get paying time before any of the other bigs. Nika will likely start at pg, and play as long as she isn’t an offensive liability. Lou will play as long as she isn’t a defensive liability. All the others will fit in to give the core a breather.

I expect we’ll look back at this year’s team as being mainly the achievement of these three, Azzi Caroline Aaliyah. When Paige returns next year, it will be to a veteran core, and she will lead them to #13, or #2 of the Paige era. Maybe she’ll stay for #14. I hope she does. Two solid years of The Four will be worth it to her, I suspect.

And when they leave, it will be up to KK Ashlynn Ice Ayanna to continue the next foursome.

Reaction Score
I think the core of the team is going to be Azzi Caroline Aaliyah, barring injury. Everything will revolve around them. Dorka will get paying time before any of the other bigs. Nika will likely start at pg, and play as long as she isn’t an offensive liability. Lou will play as long as she isn’t a defensive liability. All the others will fit in to give the core a breather.

I expect we’ll look back at this year’s team as being mainly the achievement of these three, Azzi Caroline Aaliyah. When Paige returns next year, it will be to a veteran core, and she will lead them to #13, or #2 of the Paige era. Maybe she’ll stay for #14. I hope she does. Two solid years of The Four will be worth it to her, I suspect.

And when they leave, it will be up to KK Ashlynn Ice Ayanna to continue the next foursome.
IMO Dorka is also a core player.

Reaction Score
Patterson, who recorded a team-high 17 points in a win over Hamilton Southeastern late Tuesday afternoon, is distinguished immediately by her length and strength — the 6-foot-3 wing is an absolute force on the glass and an intimidating presence in the paint — but it's her athleticism that really grabs your attention when watching her play.

She can definitely be a wing defensively just as Aubrey had also been a wing many times defensively. And the other following players I believe have better outside shooting than her who can possibly / or do play at least some offensively on the perimeter which are: Caroline, Lou, Dorka, Edwards, Brady, and Amari. UCONN doesn't build it's offense around offensive rebounding, so as Geno has said many times "What is it that you're good at?" One thing we saw in the 3 on 3 from Patterson is her freak athleticism and rebounding. Like Aubrey she can be a freak rebounder early in her career and that is best suited for the 4/5 spots.

So unless it's a blowout and Geno is just tinkering, Patterson will probably play the 4/5 spots offensively barring any catastrophes.

sun

Reaction Score
UConn will be presenting a lot of different looks to the opposing teams this year even during the same game as they switch personnel throughout the lineup.
Every player will be assessed based on making good decisions and their ability to make the high percentage shots.
The 3 pointers are going to become daggers rather than to be relied on as the 1st scoring option.
UConn has the tools to play a nasty mid range game.
There will be those with solid contributions that will need to make up for those who don't contribute as much when they play.
They will all step it up and contribute in different games.
The trend in a lot of sports is to spread out the PT among more players.
That will help to keep them fresh, injury free and to gain more valuable experience as the season gets played out.
If Carol becomes the leading UConn scorer, you know that opposing teams will adjust and try to shut her down.
The same with Azzi.
It's important that Geno has different player packages to increase UConn's scoring options.
IMO it's going to be hard for players to get more than 25 minutes of PT per game unless circumstances permit it.
UConn won't need to rely on any one player to win games, there's plenty of scoring talent on the team.
The main differences between players will be based on their decision making, making the high percentage shots and contributing by not making mistakes.
Too many missed shots or turnovers can be a sign of mistakes or poor judgment.
The players will continually grow throughout the season, and hopefully they all stay healthy so they can stay on the court and max out their PT each game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I still believe DORKA will play a very significant role this year. But... I 'll wait and watch!!

Reaction Score
1-- The trend in a lot of sports is to spread out the PT among more players.

3--- IMO it's going to be hard for players to get more than 25 minutes of PT per game unless circumstances permit it.

UConn won't need to rely on any one player to win games, there's plenty of scoring talent on the team.

2--and max out their PT each game.
1--- This has not been the trend. When Stanford won for example their pg averaged 40 minutes from E8 to Finals. And Hull averaged about 36.

2--- The key is not maxing out players PT time but playing your best players if they are quite better than the bench players.

3-- Azzi will definitely get over 25 minutes a game if healthy.
Edwards probably will.

Then: Potentially:
Depending on performance Dorka and Caroline will.

Then Potentially:
Darkhorses are Lou and 1 of the 2 freshmen for 25+.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
1--- This has not been the trend. When Stanford won for example their pg averaged 40 minutes from E8 to Finals. And Hull averaged about 36.

2--- The key is not maxing out players PT time but playing your best players if they are quite better than the bench players.

3-- Azzi will definitely get over 25 minutes a game if healthy.
Edwards probably will.

Then: Potentially:
Depending on performance Dorka and Caroline will.

Then Potentially:
Darkhorses are Lou and 1 of the 2 freshmen for 25+.
MLB starting pitchers are averaging less innings then ever.
Most don't even make it to pitch in the 6th inning or the 3rd time through the batting order.
Analytics are playing a greater role in decision making in sports.
Preventing stress injuries to Azzi's feet is just another example, as was Carol being benched for a non-concussion injury last year.
We're now in the age of the transfer portal and I doubt that Geno wants to lose any of his recruits at this late stage of what might be his last coaching contract while in quest for #12.
I doubt that UConn can afford to lose any talent.
UConn is all about building team chemistry and emotional bonds among the players on the team.
An unselfish team and a coach that does his best to share PT among players who are all highly touted gym rats may become a hallmark of this year's team, especially considering Paige's absence.
The new players not only need experience & growth, but they may actually be able to play as well as the returning veteran players.
So Geno may want to keep everyone happy by giving every UConn player a fair chance to eat and to taste success.
Geno started the new trend last year and I think will continue due to having more new & talented players this year plus Aubrey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree.
This is what she came back for.
I believe she will be a leader and deliver big time.

Reaction Score
MLB starting pitchers are averaging less innings then ever.
Most don't even make it to pitch in the 6th inning or the 3rd time through the batting order.
Analytics are playing a greater role in decision making in sports.
Preventing stress injuries to Azzi's feet is just another example, as was Carol being benched for a non-concussion injury last year.
We're now in the age of the transfer portal and I doubt that Geno wants to lose any of his recruits at this late stage of what might be his last coaching contract while in quest for #12.
I doubt that UConn can afford to lose any talent.
UConn is all about building team chemistry and emotional bonds among the players on the team.
An unselfish team and a coach that does his best to share PT among players who are all highly touted gym rats may become a hallmark of this year's team, especially considering Paige's absence.
The new players not only need experience & growth, but they may actually be able to play as well as the returning veteran players.
So Geno may want to keep everyone happy by giving every UConn player a fair chance to eat and to taste success.
Geno started the new trend last year and I think will continue due to having more new & talented players this year plus Aubrey.
No. MLB is not wcbb. Not even close. The comparison is completely off-base no pun intended. So two of the most successful coaches in WCBB History (Geno and Tara) have used played your stars approach and it is your belief to completely ignore the success and instead adopt a baseball strategy? And ignore this past year’s SCs strategy in which Henderson, Boston and Cooke averaged 30, 28 and 27 respectively? So where is the WCBB trend going? You want to ignore how these super coaches have told you the way it is to coach?

And if you are so intent by coaching with fear about not playing Azzi too much, then for Azzi why should she even bother to play if everyone is so scared? She can sit out, train at home, go play in some overseas pro games, then come home when she likes, and be ready for the draft in 2 more years. You can't coach or play in fear.

And you're right, UCONN cannot afford to lose talent. And your proposal is sure to do that because the number 1 recruits will stop coming. You heard how in her frosh year how Paige bugged Geno for minutes. She averaged over 30 and if you recall she once told Geno "You owe me . . . minutes." Those number 1 recruits will stop coming without minutes. Twenty-five or under won’t cut it. And that is the majority of UCONN's championships have been with number 1 recruits. So yes UCONN can't afford to lose this type of talent which is why if they are good enough you should be playing them a lot. Because the super players give you the greatest chance of success.

In conclusion, you want to ignore what the greatest WCBB coaches are “telling you” (by how they give over 25 minutes to their stars), and adopt a strategy in WCBB probably not used successfully as a WCBB Div 1 Champion in at least 20+ years, and instead look to a non-basketball sport as the model?????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom