One writer's thoughts on Caroline Ducharme | The Boneyard

One writer's thoughts on Caroline Ducharme

Reaction Score
Fudd is a force, no more so IMO than Caroline. Pre Uconn Fudd was (rightly) highly touted, Caroline not so much.
However, in the GAME, Caroline (bad hip and all) played some of the best (maybe greatest???) I've seen for a non-1,2 or 3 ranked. I freely and openly admit--I'm a CAROLINE FAN. I didn't need the UConn Daily Press to tell me, but thank you for this.
While I'm concerned about a possible (at least in my head) negative impact her hip surgery shall have on Caroline's game. I know her talent and ability is out of this world.
Having spoken for Caroline. AZZI, when she is "ON" her three is Amazingly accurate. Her stop and pop, is a fans thrill, and the kid drives to the hoop. Her defense, for a Frosh is pretty darn good. I can't rank each player because they are my kids--Caroline may have a bit more but I like them all,hopefully, equally.

Reaction Score

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There is more than a minor chance that Ayanna may beat out Caroline for the starting wing position, in which case the writer's forecast will definitely be overoptimistic.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Can we read your counter on why Ayanna could beat out Caroline?
I think it depends on two things about Ayanna: (a) the range, quality and reliability of her jump shot; and (b) the speed with which she picks up the UConn system and the decision-making that goes with it. Those are the areas where I think Caroline has an edge, perhaps a decided edge.

But when it comes to a comparison of pure athleticism, Ayanna appears to me to be bigger, faster, slightly stronger, and a better leaper. I am guessing that she will be more of a rebounding presence than Caroline.

Even if Ayanna starts, I would expect Caroline to get major minutes, and for the two of them to essentially split the minutes at the wing position. I would expect the same if Caroline is the starter. Geno will go with whoever is playing better on that particular day.

Another possibility is for Caroline to start and play most of the minutes on the wing (with some time for Aubrey), and for Ayanna to join the scrum in the paint, where Dorka / Aaliyah / Ice / Amari are already competing for minutes.

If rebounding is a problem, I can imagine Dorka, Amari, and Caroline sitting while Aaliyah / Ice / Ayanna get the big minutes, even though none of them is over 6-3. Then the front court will look like 2002, when Swin / Asjha / Tamika were the UConn front court despite none of them being as tall as one might prefer.

Reaction Score
. . . Then the front court will look like 2002, when Swin / Asjha / Tamika were the UConn front court despite none of them being as tall as one might prefer.
I believe each of them was 6'2", and arguably, they were the most dominant front court in the country.

Reaction Score
There is more than a minor chance that Ayanna may beat out Caroline for the starting wing position, in which case the writer's forecast will definitely be overoptimistic.
When I lived in northern California, I knew a guy who drove to the beach one early morning expecting to see the sunrise. It was about 8 am before he could see the sun coming over the hills behind him. Still he had a pretty good day at the beach. Of course, he was pretty high.

Reaction Score
I have stated this before, Patterson will probably start. Ducharme may see alot of minutes as the off guard, with Fudd at the pt. Auriemma has multiple options with the depth of this team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it depends on two things about Ayanna: (a) the range, quality and reliability of her jump shot; and (b) the speed with which she picks up the UConn system and the decision-making that goes with it. Those are the areas where I think Caroline has an edge, perhaps a decided edge.

But when it comes to a comparison of pure athleticism, Ayanna appears to me to be bigger, faster, slightly stronger, and a better leaper. I am guessing that she will be more of a rebounding presence than Caroline.

Even if Ayanna starts, I would expect Caroline to get major minutes, and for the two of them to essentially split the minutes at the wing position. I would expect the same if Caroline is the starter. Geno will go with whoever is playing better on that particular day.

Another possibility is for Caroline to start and play most of the minutes on the wing (with some time for Aubrey), and for Ayanna to join the scrum in the paint, where Dorka / Aaliyah / Ice / Amari are already competing for minutes.

If rebounding is a problem, I can imagine Dorka, Amari, and Caroline sitting while Aaliyah / Ice / Ayanna get the big minutes, even though none of them is over 6-3. Then the front court will look like 2002, when Swin / Asjha / Tamika were the UConn front court despite none of them being as tall as one might prefer.
I strongly agree with your analysis as well as your original premise. It will all depend on where Geno first tries to utilize Ayanna and to a certain extent the health of Aubrey Griffin. AE also came into you a very capable wing defender but had to be utilized in the post to provide ruggedness next to ONO. If for some reason Ice, Dorka, Amari are not getting it done up front, and by getting it done I specifically mean rebounding and easy buckets Ayanna will be utilized in that role. Now if they (Ice, Dorka, Amari) are getting it done that frees up Ayanna to be a monster wing player and Caroline to play SG.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
As a Freshman, Caroline surprised many fans, as she came forth with superb efforts when the team really needed it when Paige was not in the lineup. I hope she expands in that way again this coming year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

"IF" Ayanna does (at some point) start over Caroline, that means doom and gloom for their opponents. I think most of us can guess what we're going to get from Caroline. If Ayanna can still beat her out, humph.!! :eek: I assumed Azzi has grown and matured a little over the summer, and the effects of that growth and development will be easy to see. She said in a recent interview that she's more at ease now. She knows what's coming. No more surprises at this point. She's been around the block once already. Let's just hope that her foot issues that plagued her last year are a thing of the past.

When one stops to contemplate just for a moment, the potential of this team individually and collectively, it makes you shake your head in wonderment. If each player on this roster plays to just 80% of their potential, UConn will be very hard to beat night in and night out.
Other top ten programs have talented teams, but not top to bottom like UConn. There are no projects on this team. Except for the newbies, everyone else is plug and play.

Every player on the roster comes in with an impressive resume. I'm expecting some big things from Brady. A no non sense post player that just wants to come in and help the team any way she can. I think she will impress, and impress early. Look for her to demand more minutes as the season goes on. Geno should have no problem or reservations about putting anyone of his reserves in the game. This includes the newbies once they learn the system. They want to "eat" also.

The exhibition game against Kutztown State (Sun Nov 6), will give us a glimpse of what's to come, but the 2nd game of the season against Texas (home game) on Nov 10 will be the perfect "litmus test" for this program. The Longhorns will come in and give Geno and UConn all they want. Here's a breakdown of the UConn roster without Paige Bueckers...................

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
More likely by the end of the year they will share equal time. But yes, there is a minor chance. I wouldn't be surprised to see Caroline logging minutes as an off guard in some situations.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Azzi was ranked #1 in high school, Caroline was #5, not a huge difference
Caroline is going to "show her butt" this year. I mean that in a good and respectful way. I really think she's going to live up to ALL of the hopes, dreams and aspirations of Geno and UConn fans. Don't surprised when (not if) Caroline is anointed as the BADD ASS of several games this year. I'm telling you now...............you're being fore-warned. I'm giving you a little peek into the future. It's coming. UConn beat writers will be using lots of adjectives to describe Ducharme this season. "BADD ASS" will be one of them! ;) A moniker she will earn!!!

Reaction Score
3 guards & 2 bigs. Ayanna is a big even if she is same size as Caroline, Caroline is guard but can play forward. Don’t get the outside threat with Ayanna. I’m not worried Ayanna will take any of Caroline’s minutes. Now Lou, on the other hand, definitely can take court time from Caroline. All good.

Reaction Score
We have an abundance of wings-
Aubrey
Caroline
Lou

I full expect Ayanna to be more of a 4. Her height and athleticism around the basket could be the force that we've been so lacking for years.
Is Aubrey really a wing? Wings can handle the ball fairly well and should be above average shooters. Has she proven she can do both well enough to be a wing at UConn. Serious question. I see her more as an undersized 4. A rebounder and scrapper.

Reaction Score

I think it depends on 3 things. I agree with your 2 but as always number 1 is what Geno thinks. ;)

Reaction Score
By the way, Aubrey Griffin was a guard in high school averaging over 20 pts. per game. What some are getting caught up in is the definition of the Wing. On this team, Edwards, Patterson, Ducharme, and Griffin can all play in the front court. Ducharme and Griffin have also advanced the ball in past games.

Reaction Score
Is Aubrey really a wing? Wings can handle the ball fairly well and should be above average shooters. Has she proven she can do both well enough to be a wing at UConn. Serious question. I see her more as an undersized 4. A rebounder and scrapper.
I see Aubrey and Ayanna as more natural 4's, and I think both would be better there than at the 3. Having said that because Aaliyah and Ice are probably natural 4's as well, the path to immediate playing time is probably easier for Aubrey and Ayanna at the 3.

True in some ways that looks like a bad fit when you think about perimeter shooting and ball-handling, but on the other side of the court both can probably be better rebounders/defenders than Caroline and Lou, so they remain an option for the 3, but bringing defense vs. offense.

Caroline and Lou are the obvious choices for the minutes at the 3, but Aubrey and or Ayanna could progress enough on the offensive end to eat into those minutes even if everyone is healthy, they could be used in certain situations for defense, and with a guard injury one of them would probably have to be used at the 3 at least for limited minutes.

Reaction Score
Conndog, why would you be worried about Ayanna taking any of Caroline's minutes ? They both will be on the court at the same time throughout the season. This team has many mix and match combinations .
I'm not worried about it, I was referring to someone who said there was more than minor chance Ayanna would be starting over Ducharme at wing. I love the myriad of combinations that this team presents! I hope everyone eats this year because there are going to be a lot of hungry Huskies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom