Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
you dont think winning this lawsuit means it clears him of that accusation?

No, I'm asking how you win this lawsuit. Is passing along a rumor, which was never presented as a fact, illegal? He basically said, "I heard this. But I can't prove anything".

Honest question. These types of things are not my forte.

Reaction Score
I really don't care about what happens to Ollie. I don't care what the court of law does to him. So your post is a total non-sequitir when it comes to this discussion.

If UConn gets dinged because they strung this out, they only have themselves to blame. That much is obvious.
Ok, my bad - I lumped the argument that UConn would/should settle in with Ollie sycophants b/c it is one that has been frequently used on this board to try and sway public opinion.
We simply disagree then on whether or not UConn should stand on principal (I say yes) or view the matter more practically and settle for something as the ongoing detriment from Ollie's PR and litigious nature does 'damage' to UConn and is certainly known as unavoidable at this point.

And I gather you are arguing that shedding additional light on shenanigans other programs know how to hide further damages the UConn brand.

My perception is limited to the college basketball world of games played, coverage of those games etc.. , excludes in-depth recruiting. So in my limited worldview I see UConn as largely unharmed as the major potential impact was in the hiring of a new coach. And I generally support any entity, especially a public one that tries to make the right choice with its ethics and monies versus throwing money at a PR problem. I can see the possibility that this whole thing adds further NCAA scrutiny, but given the past its reasonable to assume the NCAA is especially up into UConn dark areas regardless.
To me at this point UConn wins for doing the right thing and is getting imminently closer to complete vindication. This will likely be a blip on the PR radar versus the negativity of the ongoing story, but personally my respect and loyalty to the program will grow outside of and regardless of that media blip and assuming there are enough others like me then UConn does benefit over the long run.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, I'm asking how you win this lawsuit. Is passing along a rumor, which was never presented as a fact, illegal? He basically said, "I heard this. But I can't prove anything".

Oh I don’t really know either. I doubt he wins - but if it becomes clear there is no evidence of payments that’s a win for him personally.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Because 30 grand buys a lot more than Shonn Miller. Please-like my old personal add said...serious replies only.
ya know, that's an interesting point. what is the market price these days for college bball players?

Reaction Score
To me at this point UConn wins for doing the right thing and is getting imminently closer to complete vindication. This will likely be a blip on the PR radar versus the negativity of the ongoing story, but personally my respect and loyalty to the program will grow outside of and regardless of that media blip and assuming there are enough others like me then UConn does benefit over the long run.

We disagree on one key point: I think UConn came up with excuses not to pay him, because they didn't want to pay him.

But otherwise, I only brought up a hypothetical situation. If Miller's charge proves to be true, then UConn will have lost a lot more than the $8 million it is trying to save. Blame it on Ollie, but you can't say the administration wouldn't have avoided that horrid outcome if only it hadn't refused to pay him.

Reaction Score
Oh I don’t really know either. I doubt he wins - but if it becomes clear there is no evidence of payments that’s a win for him personally.

But, like we said, his wife is being sued as well. In her case, she wasn't passing on a rumor because she claimed Shonn's mother told her that. Shonn's mother either told her that, or she didn't (both likely impossible to prove).

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Ollie is off his rocker for going this route. 0% chance he wins here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But, like we said, his wife is being sued as well. In her case, she wasn't passing on a rumor because she claimed Shonn's mother told her that. Shonn's mother either told her that, or she didn't (both likely impossible to prove).

If Shonn’s mother wasn’t part of the suit I could make a case that it exists to force UConn’s hand on a settlement. Since she is part of the suit it really just seems like he wants that not part of any future job search.

If there is evidence of payments God bless these lunatics.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Since Miller is a public figure, the standard for burden of proof is higher. The statements made must either prove to be false, and were made knowing they were false, or were made with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity of the statements. With public figures, malice is also an important issue. Absent malice it's going to favor Miller.

Reaction Score
Another key here is who is the alleged 3rd party, are they going to be identified, and will they provide a deposition or testimony.

Reaction Score
Shonn Miller is a IVY league graduate with a masters degree from UCONN. He wants a future career in the corporate or sports management world. The rumors of him/ his mom took money from KO could hinder his career. It makes sense to defend his reputation against a bitter liar

Reaction Score
BTW, Chief our Nostradamus is correct. MAL was dissuaded from coming to UCONN by a disgruntled GM. He ought to sue GM for the way things work out for him also

Reaction Score
Shonn Miller is a IVY league graduate with a masters degree from UCONN. He wants a future career in the corporate or sports management world. The rumors of him/ his mom took money from KO could hinder his career. It makes sense to defend his reputation against a bitter liar

Really can't see his mom taking money impacting his career chances in the corporate world whatsoever.

Reaction Score
I would be interested in a timeline of when the alleged 30k payment happened and when KO's divorce was announced.
2014 divorce 2015 payment, not related at all

Reaction Score
Really can't see his mom taking money impacting his career chances in the corporate world whatsoever.
IF he wants to be a college sports director. Thats a no-no if there are rumors of him/family accepting cash

Reaction Score
What a ridiculous stretch that is. If that were the case, then Shonn himself would have to bring suit as he would be the aggrieved party. Not his mommy.

Reaction Score
Okie is a lazy piece of scum who was handed a job fifty better qualified guys would have killed to get and trashed it. Kevin I’m begging you. Just go away. We don’t care where or how. Just go. To paraphrase Dr Seus, you can go by boat you can go by cow. You can go by car or go by snail or stamp yourself and go by mail. The time has come now go go go.

Calhoun’s ego and Warde’s lack of guts come home to roost.

Reaction Score
Okie is a lazy piece of scum who was handed a job fifty better qualified guys would have killed to get and trashed it. Kevin I’m begging you. Just go away. We don’t care where or how. Just go. To paraphrase Dr Seus, you can go by boat you can go by cow. You can go by car or go by snail or stamp yourself and go by mail. The time has come now go go go.

Calhoun’s ego and Warde’s lack of guts come home to roost.

Better qualified like Shaka Smart? Who you wanted? Who would not have come close to a NC in 2014? Dude, you never even posted during that championship and you showed up here a full 6 months later.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Could be a win-win. Ollie gets his millions from Miller. Then he drops his case against UConn and two sides make up and UConn brings KO back into the alumni family.

No, I don't think this would happen, but it would be cool!
Yep, the only flaw in that plan is that it needs Miller to have the ability to crap golden eggs, which I would be surprised if he has.

Reaction Score
I can't believe GM is still employe by St Josephs. He brings nothing to the table, not worth the few grands that he is getting. Coach JC has done wonders for the admissions department. Maybe GM can persuade MAL to transfer over to St Josephs since GM was the best mentor for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom