Ollie on benching Adams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie on benching Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
so you guys think our coach lost this game? up what 12 6 min left? def not his fault. we couldnt make layups and temple hit big shots. the only thing that was a bad move by Ollie was leaving Gibbs in. But the players lost that game. Choked!

You sound like someone frustrated and drinking too much tonight. Get some sleep.

Reaction Score
The game was lost before that pass- we were down 5 points at the time with only like 15 seconds left - barring a miracle we weren't going to win. I knew we were screwed once Brimah dropped the ball on an easy dunk and a below avg 3pt shooter turned into Steph Curry

Reaction Score
How anyone can say that after that pass is beyond me.
The pass with 10 seconds left down 5? Yea it was stupid but the game was lost loooong before that. Sometime when our only point guard was cuffed to the bench and our 5th year transfer was dribbling out every shot clock watching the lead evaporate.

Reaction Score
If we don't make the NCAAT, it will be the first time in 27 years that we have failed to make it two years in a row. An unprecedented low for UConn basketball as we know it.

That will get the clock ticking. 2 more years to show the new AD (who has no loyalty to KO) that JC was right about him as the long-term solution.
Can't argue with this. We always want to compare ourselves to the other blue blood programs, and rightfully so. So why do some people bristle over any suggestion of making a change if this continues? Do we ever see Kentucky, Duke, MSU, UNC miss the dance two years in a row? It wouldn't be accepted there and shouldn't be here.

Reaction Score
Certainly not on Jalen but they went up 12 without him on the floor.

I get that but they did that with Purvis missing lay ups and Gibbs not making too many plays either. Adams playing would not have hurt and it certainly would have made him a more confident and comfortable player coming in to help get the game back. I would have rejected his decision had he not played him at all. But not fair to ask him to suddenly be the savior, sorry it's just not.

Reaction Score
As soon as we give him a raise, off of 3 great weeks, he turns around and s*** the bed as a coach.

The recruiting classes are a nice step, but if we continue to be irrelevant year after year, because of poor in-game coaching and non-existent development of talent, that well will dry up.
100% correct

Reaction Score
so you guys think our coach lost this game? up what 12 6 min left? def not his fault. we couldnt make layups and temple hit big shots. the only thing that was a bad move by Ollie was leaving Gibbs in. But the players lost that game. Choked!
Is he not responsible for the plays called? If they aren't executed properly, then put someone else in. That possession out of a TO with the game tied was dreadful. Ollie has to start owning this .....or he's gonna lose his team.

Reaction Score
You keep touting that fact like its impressive to build a 12 point lead in 15 minutes when you have a top 3 defense that is smothering the other team. Give jalen his minutes and you have a comprehensive offense that cruises to a win tonight.
I get that but they did that with Purvis missing lay ups and Gibbs not making too many plays either. Adams playing would not have hurt and it certainly would have made him a more confident and comfortable player coming in to help get the game back. I would have rejected his decision had he not played him at all. But not fair to ask him to suddenly be the savior, sorry it's just not.

Exactly my point. They're up 12 with 6 mins to go. He's not rescuing that debacle of a finish and nothing he did in the first half suggests they would even take the lead with him on the floor.

Reaction Score
@2north the point I'm trying to make is that building a 12 point lead over 15 minutes on a team you're holding to 30% from the field is not something to be proud of. It means you're not scoring the ball as much as you should be. And if this season has taught us anything it's that Gibbs is not a PG. the offense runs much smoother with Jalen at the point. Forget whatever lesson you're trying to teach him, put Adams in the game, let your offense do the work and have Jalen run laps tomorrow for whatever indiscretion he'd committed at the half.

Reaction Score
@2north the point I'm trying to make is that building a 12 point lead over 15 minutes on a team you're holding to 30% from the field is not something to be proud of. It means you're not scoring the ball as much as you should be. And if this season has taught us anything it's that Gibbs is not a PG. the offense runs much smoother with Jalen at the point. Forget whatever lesson you're trying to teach him, put Adams in the game, let your offense do the work and have Jalen run laps tomorrow for whatever indiscretion he'd committed at the half.

Fair enough. And my point is Jalen being in the game is not pushing a lead to 20. It was a complete team meltdown.

Reaction Score
it was obviously a meltdown, but not having jalen on the floor in the second half presumably left gibbs/purvis/hamilton more fatigued for the stretch and finally bringing him in when he had no chance to establish a rhythm made no sense

Reaction Score
it was obviously a meltdown, but not having jalen on the floor in the second half presumably left gibbs/purvis/hamilton more fatigued for the stretch and finally bringing him in when he had no chance to establish a rhythm made no sense
Not sure we'll ever find out why Jalen was benched and I'm almost convinced that's a good thing because there's no right answer. There's nothing Adams could have done that was severe enough to bench him for an entire half (which was absolutely the original plan), yet forgivable enough to bring him in when you realize you're drowning. I've got KO's back on a lot of things, but this was completely mismanaged.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no one from the horde pushed for a further explanation of what the "reason" was or asked why the "reason" became irrelevant at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Not sure we'll ever find out why Jalen was benched and I'm almost convinced that's a good thing because there's no right answer. There's nothing Adams could have done that was severe enough to bench him for an entire half (which was absolutely the original plan), yet forgivable enough to bring him in when you realize you're drowning. I've got KO's back on a lot of things, but this was completely mismanaged.
Yep, I think it was the original plan to keep him benched. I think I saw him in warmups most of the 2nd half as if he wasn't coming back. I thought he might be hurt. Then, KO puts him back in at the last minute when it is too late and scowls at him when he makes the bad pass.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point. They're up 12 with 6 mins to go. He's not rescuing that debacle of a finish and nothing he did in the first half suggests they would even take the lead with him on the floor.
Nothing he did in the first half suggests they would take a lead with him on the floor? We couldn't have used the 6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 block that he had in the first half, in the second half? Oh yea, and no turnovers in the first half either.

Reaction Score
Nothing he did in the first half suggests they would take a lead with him on the floor? We couldn't have used the 6 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 block that he had in the first half, in the second half? Oh yea, and no turnovers in the first half either.

No, because they didn't take the lead with him on the floor. And the guy he was guarding went off in the 1st half (and the 2nd so nobody was stopping him.)

Sure we could have used him but he doesn't change the game tonight, we implode with or without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom