Ollie on benching Adams | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie on benching Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Adams has really made big strides the past 5 games and now KO does this? I hope it doesn't affect the kids head moving forward. I wouldn't be too happy if I were Jalen or his family with how he's being utilized/coached.
This is what bothered me most about the benching. He has been his most confident and assertive the last few games, driving and more importantly, FINISHING around the rim, and picking the right spots to do so. Its pretty clear our offense, as bad as it looks sometime, is at its best with Adams and Miller on the floor.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point. They're up 12 with 6 mins to go. He's not rescuing that debacle of a finish and nothing he did in the first half suggests they would even take the lead with him on the floor.

But my point is they were missing lay ups and making bad plays during our surge to the lead which could have been 20 not 12. It only became worst when they lost the lead. Adams would have helped if nothing else, not hurt.

Reaction Score
But does anyone actually know what Adams did? In game that is. Does anyone remember an egregiously lazy or dumb play?

Because every game I see Gibbs, purvis, brimah, and Hamilton make dumb, lazy, unacceptable mistakes but they never get pulled out for them let alone completely benched.

To me, Adams is the guy on the team who tries the hardest and seems the most coachable. Certainly more than Gibbs or Hamilton. Makes no sense why Ollie keeps benching him and leaves the same guys in to make the same mistakes over and over.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That game was so depressing. Nobody knows what would have happened if Adams had played through the heart of the second half, but I can tell you this. He would not have missed some of the bunnies they missed. I mean wth was that. We missed 3 WIDE OPEN LAYUPS. Not weaving through traffic, WIDE OPEN LAYUPS. I play pickup ball up in VT. Sometimes we are able to make some good plays, lots of times not so much. People miss wide open layups every once in a while. But these are a bunch of out of shape older dudes who uses to be ok in high school. How do Starters in a division one game miss 3 WIDE OPEN LAYUPS. If we had made one of those 3, 33% on a shot that should be 99% we would have won that game because the lead would have been big enough with so little time that Temple does not believe that they can win. I really don't understand at all. Its really more like 5 wide open layups because the one play involved 3 tries. With our defense sometimes it is shocking how good and bad we are. I said with about 5 left, ok we need to score over 60 points and we win. We had like 50 and they had like 38. How in the heck does a team score 40% of its total points in 5 out of the total 40 minutes and in the same timeframe we manage to score only 8. That game really took the wind out of our sails. Short of us beating cincy and smu twice that may be it. We are Uconn, we don't get swept by a team like temple, or maybe we do now......

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
But does anyone actually know what Adams did?

Because every game I see Gibbs, purvis, brimah, and Hamilton make dumb, lazy, unacceptable mistakes but they never get pulled out for them let alone completely benched.

Adams is the future. Adams dogged it and gave up three threes. It should be obvious that the players mentioned above will not lead UConn to the promise land.
Adams might be able to. So, Ollie is holding him to a higher standard.
Ollie was able to mold Boat from a gunner into one of the best guards in the country, on both ends of the court.
Why should he do less for Adams?

Reaction Score
Adams is the future. Adams dogged it and gave up three threes. It should be obvious that the players mentioned above will not lead UConn to the promise land.
Adams might be able to. So, Ollie is holding him to a higher standard.
Ollie was able to mold Boat from a gunner into one of the best guards in the country, on both ends of the court.
Why should he do less for Adams?

That's a ridiculous reason. So screw this year? Hold players to different standards based on their long term ability?

If that's true, which I'm pretty it's not, then its absurd.

Reaction Score
Oz the resident insider on TOS said jalen went off on coaches and a player at half.

Sounds like ollie didn't have a choice
It appears he did have a choice, because he put him back in the game once the flood gates had bust open... I'd be interested to hear what JA said, if this is true; because you can't ask the kid to be a leader out on the floor and then punish him when he vocalizes his frustrations.

Reaction Score
If JA laid into and went off on a coach or fellow player at halftime what should KO do? Just a matter of time until we find out what went down.

Reaction Score
Is he not responsible for the plays called? If they aren't executed properly, then put someone else in. That possession out of a TO with the game tied was dreadful. Ollie has to start owning this .....or he's gonna lose his team.
oh you mean the play Purvis turned it over....or the one Gibbs showed us his terrible dribbling display for basicly the entire shot clock.....not Ollie's fault

Reaction Score
How about the last time Adams was benched for disciplinary reasons? This the first player I can remember Ollie overtly doghousing, a 5 star freshman no less. Idk what the hell he is doing

Reaction Score
whomever was in earshot of the bench would know. I guess no one here was.

Reaction Score
If JA laid into and went off on a coach or fellow player at halftime what should KO do? Just a matter of time until we find out what went down.
If Adams was just trying to be passionate and trying to lead then Ollie should have been excited that his freshman point guard wants to lead, if Adams was being a jerk and being destructive than he should have sat him for the whole half to teach him a lesson. Putting him in when your team has choked and already blew the game is ridiculous and doesn't teach any lesson.

Reaction Score
If Adams was just trying to be passionate and trying to lead then Ollie should have been excited that his freshman point guard wants to lead, if Adams was being a jerk and being destructive than he should have sat him for the whole half to teach him a lesson. Putting him in when your team has choked and already blew the game is ridiculous and doesn't teach any lesson.
Yup accomplishes nothing and is bizarre.

If prodded KO would simply say "internal matters".

Reaction Score
Oz the resident insider on TOS said jalen went off on coaches and a player at half.

That certainly is plausible, but I hope its not true. Because the punishment rings hollow once you put him back in. If JA did go off and you decide to bench him, you have to stick to it.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I missed the game last night so after reading the recap I have one opinion. Ollie screwed up. You can't give mixed signals when you're disciplining a player. JA is either out for the second half or he plays his regular minutes. His mistake was predictable. I'm sure his mindset was "I'm not going to mess this up " rather than "I'm going to make a play". I'm really disappointed Ollie resorted to putting him back in the game. I was going to Zoolander 2 tonight but it only got 1 1/2 stars. I guess I'll watch a horror movie called "Up 12 with 6 to go".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That pass had little or nothing to do with the game.

True, that was the other game where he blew it. But for him to throw that pass last night (then try to fob off the blame) shows a level of cluelessness that we haven't seen in a long time. That's our savior?

Reaction Score
I missed the game last night so after reading the recap I have one opinion. Ollie screwed up. You can't give mixed signals when you're disciplining a player. JA is either out for the second half or he plays his regular minutes. His mistake was predictable. I'm sure his mindset was "I'm not going to mess this up " rather than "I'm going to make a play". I'm really disappointed Ollie resorted to putting him back in the game. I was going to Zoolander 2 tonight but it only got 1 1/2 stars. I guess I'll watch a horror movie called "Up 12 with 6 to go".

Sub title "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
so you guys think our coach lost this game? up what 12 6 min left? def not his fault. we couldnt make layups and temple hit big shots. the only thing that was a bad move by Ollie was leaving Gibbs in. But the players lost that game. Choked!

He didn't lose it. He also didn't do what was needed to make sure the team won it. He isn't blameless.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

If true, then bringing him in at all may have been the mistake by KO. Judging KO without knowing his reason to not play JA was not a great idea.

But once again, we don't know if KO spoke with JA, worked through the outburst (if true), or what. Dealing with the pressure of where this team is at ("bubble situation") is likely to be extremely difficult for the whole team, but especially freshman. Bazz had some real rough spots his sophomore year that were maybe like JA's reaction. But, bringing him back in if nothing was different may have been a mistake.

Reaction Score
He didn't lose it. He also didn't do what was needed to make sure the team won it. He isn't blameless.
Great way of looking at it. This loss can't be pinned on any 1 person, it was a complete team effort

Reaction Score
As soon as we give him a raise, off of 3 great weeks, he turns around and s*** the bed as a coach.

The recruiting classes are a nice step, but if we continue to be irrelevant year after year, because of poor in-game coaching and non-existent development of talent, that well will dry up.

I'm sorry, but if any quote sums up the lunacy of internet board crap it's "we continue to be irrelevant year after year." Applied to a team that won national championships less than 2 and less than 5 years ago.

The pessimistic equivalent of the optimistic "Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln did you enjoy the play?"

I'm as ticked off as anyone about the collapse last night and handing away a game we had won. And yet, I was somehow able to resist calling us "irrelevant" year after year. Just sayin ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom