Oklahoma post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Oklahoma post game thread

Reaction Score
That fact that CW isn’t playing her best yet gives shows even greater potential of this team. If CW can play her A game we have a very strong team with AG and AM contributing and Irwin not hurting us and spelling minutes for others.
Molly Bent is also coming into her own. And Crystal Dangerfield’s toughness playing through pain is unbelievable

Reaction Score
One point not mentioned which I found very impressive is that Liv picked up a somewhat dubious foul in the first 2 minutes and then played so aggressively and smart keeping a distance to her opponent and moving her feet so well.
ONO's quick hands and feet are pretty obvious but the main thing that's allowed her to improve so fast is that she's wicked smart. She not only understands the movements and purpose of the offense but she already understands all the defensive and offensive concepts that the coaches have shown her so far. When she learns to turn over her left shoulder with a drop step, look out.

Reaction Score
ONO's quick hands and feet are pretty obvious but the main thing that's allowed her to improve so fast is that she's wicked smart. She not only understands the movements and purpose of the offense but she already understands all the defensive and offensive concepts that the coaches have shown her so far. When she learns to turn over her left shoulder with a drop step, look out.
you mean wicked smaht

Reaction Score
Wow! I just checked the boxscore on ESPN. Aubrey had 14 points, 5 boards, 2 assists and 3 steals! In 13 minutes!!

I thought she looked good while watching, but man o' man talk about efficiency!
Griffin is electric. Haven't seen a kid in many years that gets off her feet as quick as she does.

Reaction Score
Not to be a Grinch, but I wished CW would break out of her slump.

If CW continues to play like this the rest of the year, she may even lose her starting spot next year.

Reaction Score
Hi, Negative Nelly here. Turnovers turnovers turnovers!! After the first quarter we were on pace for 28. Dr. Jeckyl played the first quarter before Dr. Hyde showed up to clean those up and finished with only 13. A lot better than the previous game. The attendance was listed as 7,200 and change. Either there were 2,000 no shows or some speculator got hosed. Overall it was a very enjoyable experience being there in person. Aubrey sure is fun to watch!!

Reaction Score
Tale of 2 halves. The 2nd half was so good it almost made me forget the first half -- some of the 4Q pts would have been more helpful in Q1-2. That UConn was able to hang on in the first half I would attribute to Danger & Olivia's defense. Did CD make adjustments between halves or did the basket just get wider for them in Q3-4?

Olivia was on fire pretty much all the way through. MW got her shot back in the 2nd half which certainly contributed to the blowout. Big hopes for CW after her first shot at the beginning, of Q1, but she is still erratic with her midrange stuff -- sometimes very good, sometimes disappointing. Don't know if her early 3 personal fouls had an effect on her play -- to my eyes they didn't, but someone with sharper eyes might have seen something. I find Anna's passing to be puzzling at times; couple of them looked more like floaters; the "finesse" seems to be unusual & maybe vulnerable to TOs. Also I'm still nervous when she brings the ball back up the floor; she seems to be on the verge of getting caught in traps. Still, she probably needs the practice; CW doesn't have any issues holding on to the ball as far as I can tell Always good to see the seniors able to score, but I seem to recall Kyra's passes twice gave the ball to OK in the 1st half;. TOs in the 1st half might have prevented the team from getting into offensive rhythm. Be interesting to see Griffin start & how she copes.

Also props to Taylor Robertson of OK; I don't think the UConn defense on her was that bad, but she burned them all the way through. Amazing shooter. The rest of the OK offense had a very bad day.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hi, Negative Nelly here. Turnovers turnovers turnovers!! After the first quarter we were on pace for 28. Dr. Jeckyl played the first quarter before Dr. Hyde showed up to clean those up and finished with only 13. A lot better than the previous game. The attendance was listed as 7,200 and change. Either there were 2,000 no shows or some speculator got hosed. Overall it was a very enjoyable experience being there in person. Aubrey sure is fun to watch!!
Mohegan Sun arena’s capacity is 10,000

Reaction Score
Tale of 2 halves. The 2nd half was so good it almost made me forget the first half -- some of the 4Q pts would have been more helpful in Q1-2. That UConn was able to hang on in the first half I would attribute to Danger & Olivia's defense. Did CD make adjustments between halves or did the basket just get wider for them in Q3-4?

Olivia was on fire pretty much all the way through. MW got her shot back in the 2nd half which certainly contributed to the blowout. Big hopes for CW after her first shot at the beginning, of Q1, but she is still erratic with her midrange stuff -- sometimes very good, sometimes disappointing. Don't know if her early 3 personal fouls had an effect on her play -- to my eyes they didn't, but someone with sharper eyes might have seen something. I find Anna's passing to be puzzling at times; couple of them looked more like floaters; the "finesse" seems to be unusual & maybe vulnerable to TOs. Also I'm still nervous when she brings the ball back up the floor; she seems to be on the verge of getting caught in traps. Still, she probably needs the practice; CW doesn't have any issues holding on to the ball as far as I can tell Always good to see the seniors able to score, but I seem to recall Kyra's passes twice gave the ball to OK in the 1st half;. TOs in the 1st half might have prevented the team from getting into offensive rhythm. Be interesting to see Griffin start & how she copes.

Also props to Taylor Robertson of OK; I don't think the UConn defense on her was that bad, but she burned them all the way through. Amazing shooter. The rest of the OK offense had a very bad day.
I find Anna’s passing the best on team but her game today was defense. She and Liv were defensive players of the game but this was Liv’s game. I did notice Anna has lengthened her stride and so is moving faster on court. CW’s passing, on the other hand, was mostly disasters. Aubrey played great. She is going to need a jumper at some point but she doesn’t get enough minutes that opposing teams will know not to worry about her from any distance and if she continues to drive inside, we’ll who cares?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In my previous replies I have explained why I don't think we were running up the score. But even if you are right, this particular team needs to learn how to keep it's foot on the gas and play for a full 40. Did you see the second half of the DePaul game?

I understand that and it wasn't only the DePaul game
Still...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Tight first half. we were a little off and Oklahoma hung in there. The 7 - 0 spurt at the end of the second quarter to open up the lead to 13 was the game changer. UConn comes out guns a blazin' to start the 3rd quarter and its game - set - match.

Kudos to Robertson. She can flat out shoot. Very quick release. And she was defensed pretty well the entire game. Simpson has a real tough game dealing with Olivia. Llanusa and Williams, the other two big OK players were held in check.

Liv - what a fantastic game. Her development has been amazing from last year to now. As someone mention, Liv is very smart. She is understanding how to use her post moves. That little jumper of hers is deadly and almost impossible to stop.

Great game.

Reaction Score
In my previous replies I have explained why I don't think we were running up the score. But even if you are right, this particular team needs to learn how to keep it's foot on the gas and play for a full 40. Did you see the second half of the DePaul game?
I agree with you. This team needs to gain some confidence and this type of performance should help them continue to improve. They have to get CW going if they hope to make the FF.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the OK game:
  • Well Geno may not like it, but tomorrow when the new polls come out, UConn will likely be the #1 team in WBB yet again. I know it doesn’t feel like the Huskies should be the #1 team in the nation, but I guess just about every other top team could say the same.
  • Robertson is one scary 3-pt shooter with a really quick release.
  • Liv had a monster game today. When she plays like that it's almost impossible to beat the Huskies.
  • I think we’ve all been waiting to see UConn come out of the locker room at the half and take control of a game. Today that’s exactly what we saw.
  • Excellent defensive effort by the Huskies. The Sooners average 82 pts per game. Through 3 qtrs. UConn held them to just 35 pts and 53 for the game. With the clock winding down in the 3rd qtr, was there any doubt that Liv was going to reject Oklahoma’s last second shot?
  • I love how active Aubrey is whenever she’s on the floor. She just hunts rebounds and attacks the glass.
  • Finally, to BY’ers everywhere, HAVE A SAFE AND JOYOUS HOLIDAY SEASON!

Agree with all of your points. Wishing you and yours a safe and joyous holiday season as well, thanks.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what anyone else saw today, but I saw enough to put a smile on my face, and joy in my heart that will carry me over into the new year. Great win today for UConn, and a great way to close out 2019.

Lot to like, CD's quiet "Geno who?" was a hoot, everybody's joy after contributing to an old-fashioned blowout, that no-doubt third quarter and quality finish. Shari Coale's present to Geno; first the 1000th win, now the back door to number one, their friendship going back years, and he wasn't even there. Happy Holidays to all.

Reaction Score
[I find Anna's passing to be puzzling at times; couple of them looked more like floaters; the "finesse" seems to be unusual & maybe vulnerable to TOs. Also I'm still nervous when she brings the ball back up the floor; she seems to be on the verge of getting caught in traps.

---
Mohegan was a great atmosphere with few empty seats other then the upper deck.

Q1 was not encouraging, but whatever CD did at the half was the right thing to do.

Watching ONO bust out on offense and play good D with solid passing and careful foul play - she got MVP & a big ovations from the crowd, both upon getting the award and leaving the game late in Q4.

Aubrey keeps looking like Gabby Williams, just a thrill to watch.

Evelyn still was a no-play despite the lop-sided 2nd half - puzzling to me at least.

Great game great things & some not - Anna nearly went O for Mohegan waiting to the fleeting moments and repeatedly dishing off rather than taking it to the hoop. I believe in just a handful of play minutes Aubrey outscored Kyla & Anna combined who whose combined play time was close to the full game.

I love that we will be #1, but a razor thin team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom