Oklahoma post game thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Oklahoma post game thread

Reaction Score
Oklahoma certainly didn't look like a particularly athletic team to begin with...............
Nor in the shape you would expect a Top 20 team to be in. Where lucky UConn didn't fast break more often.

Reaction Score
Don't drink too much ONO Kool-Aid just yet. She's made great strides, but has along way to go to convince me she'll be a force against a big, beefy, front line. Too much emphasis on shot blocking against smaller players can lead to bad decision making, and resultant foul trouble, come the bigs.

I'm rooting for her, and hope to be wrong, but watch out on January 9th. If I'm Kim Mulkey, I pound it low, straight in her face, early and often.

Reaction Score
My first thought of the Game OLIVIA and then AUBREY. I know Megan and Danger were great and Olivia was excellent amazing superb all anyone could hope for but the KID (Aubrey) in the short time on the floor showed her potential and abilities. She is the player has needed.
I agree on the Kid from Kansas, Robertson she is a KLM type shooter with an amazingly quick release THAT is near impossible to stop. Uconn held her down MOST of the 3rd quarter
I'm thrilled for Christine Dailey great win, great game plan and great use of players throughout the game. I hope she coaches more this year.
Olivia is becoming a super star in front of our eyes. When she starts hitting her outside shot, she will be a legit AA. Megan already is, even though she still need to be a bit smarter with ball security. Williams seems stuck in a bit of a funk as far as her outside shooting is concerned ( even after she hit her first three ). But she is playing great defense and no one drives faster to the hoop. She, too, can be sloppy with ball security. Aubrey looked alive and comfortable yesterday. She is going to be a force. And that is not far off. She seems able to dominate on defense and on coverting at the hoop. When her outside shooting gets going....we are in for a treat. And other teams will be dismayed beyond belief. Imagine; full-on excellence from Williams, Grifffen, Olivia, Danger and Walker ! Merry Xmas.

Reaction Score
Don't drink too much ONO Kool-Aid just yet. She's made great strides, but has along way to go to convince me she'll be a force against a big, beefy, front line. Too much emphasis on shot blocking against smaller players can lead to bad decision making, and resultant foul trouble, come the bigs.

I'm rooting for her, and hope to be wrong, but watch out on January 9th. If I'm Kim Mulkey, I pound it low, straight in her face, early and often.
I agree. Her final test will be against 250 pound bigs who are athletic. But if her outside shot begin to drop.....

Reaction Score
Watched game again and a few points to add:
-Walker and ONO seemed to have extra energy for this game. Knowing that holiday break coming? In any case, both ran as hard or harder than ever seen.
-ONO continues to work to raise her hands straight up on blocks and go hard for lay ups. Not perfect at either but thrilled to see her progress. No one on OK could match up.
-Always curious why Kyla listed at 6'2", yet next to 6'1" Walker and Anna, seems an inch shorter. Not thrilled Kyla throwing ball several times each of past few games.
-Given more minutes, Aubrey would be a double double machine against teams like OK with no post presence. Even against teams with true bigs, likely can give ONO a rest for few min.
-Seems like every game, Danger has new body party taped. In addition to her bad back and wrist, her shoulder sported a new tape job.
-Had forgotten that Sharri (Sherry?) was a Hall of Fame coach. If ever a HOF for hair styles, she deserves this too, as does Geno.

Happy holidays to all.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I hope she does so Liv will learn from it. That is why we schedule the way we do. Liv is smart and will learn from it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Gotta say if that is a Eurostep ... a Eurostep is a step in one direction and then an abrupt move in another direction and usually against a defender facing you. This, nope.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was not able to watch the game so had to tape it. A couple of thoughts...

The first half did not bother me, perhaps in part because I knew the final score. We were up 15-4 in the 1st Q until a pair of quick 3-pointers by Oklahoma closed out the half. We held them scoreless for the last 4 minutes or so of the 2nd Q and got the lead up to 13 at the half.

Some of the TO's in the 1st Q were unforced, but we ended up with 13 for the game. Not terrible. This season so far, UCONN has generally come out strong in the first half, and coasted in the 2nd half. Not so this game. the 2nd half explosion was fantastic. Keep in mind that even tho the lead at half time was "only" 13, Oklahoma scored 21 points, and for a team who averages over 80, that was some good defense.

From my vantage point, for the most part, the defense was more active. Getting out on shooters, fighting hard thru screens, good recovery and help defense - at this point we are really only about 1/3 of the way thru the season given our first game was Nov 10 and we've only played 10 games so far. Heck, we have 11 coming up in January. At this point of the season, I'm way happy with the team with one exception - Christyn Williams.

Crystal was totally solid this game. 19 points, 6 assists, 1 TO, 2 steals - seems her hip issue is behind her and she's focused and 100% healthy. I LOVE the ball in her hands, and in this particular game, even tho she hit some deep 3-pointers, it was not within the first 5 seconds of the offense (ie. dribble down, stand outside the 3 point line and jack up a shot without a single pass).

Megan not only deserves 1st team AA, she's been the best player in America to start the season. 17 points, 15 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals - NO ONE is playing better than her. Not saying she will win any NPOY awards, but she's worthy of being heavily considered for that honor. LOVE how she's enhanced her game from year 1.

Olivia - the sophomore leap for her has been awesome. I think for her, playing some overseas ball was great but getting back to UCONN and spending the rest of the summer working on her strength and her game was even better for her. I realize Oklahoma was overmatched by her size, but this was one of the first games I saw her get the ball, and her first instinct was to go TO the basket, not fade away. The only time she faded away was when she was double teamed and could not get thru the defense. Not sure what her ceiling is, but boy was she fun to watch yesterday. Career game for her and so proud of her.

Aubrey Griffin - if ever a kid was making a case for more minutes, she's the one. Her game against DePaul was forgettable, she was OK against ND, but against Seton Hall and now Oklahoma, she was terrific. I realize she needs to show she can do it against better competition, but her progression as a freshman has been terrific and fun to watch. She has HUGE upside. The great thing to see about her is that her defense is on par with her athleticism and her ability to get a steal, go coast to coast and score, even if getting bumped, is really impressive. As she develops a mid-range and long-range shot, she will enter the realm of special.

Anna is so solid. Sure I'd love to see her score more, and in this game she had no assists, but I REALLY like her game. NOT flashy at all, just solid in every aspect, and she's competent on defense. Makes up for her "slower" foot speed with good instincts and high BBlQ.

Molly and Kyla continue to contribute solid minutes and play. So happy for them. They are obviously benefiting from Westbrook being unable to play this year - and deserving of every minute they play.

Which brings me to Christyn. She's putting up decent numbers this year, but not at all what I was expecting given where she left off last season, and the sophomore leap I thought she'd have. I don't want to say she's regressed, but for a team that lost Pheesa and Lou, I thought she'd be in the discussion for the best player on the team and in the running for making an AA team. Sure she's the 2nd leading scorer on the team, but she disappears for such loan stretches in games that it's almost surprising when she does something fantastic, which she still does do.

Bottom line - some big games left this year, but given who we lost, and who we don't have, this tea has been really good and fun to watch. I know next year starts the next dynasty of UCONN teams being bad for women's basketball, but this team is no slouch...

And YES we are totally deserving to be #1 at this time. Are we the best team in the country? Probably not. But as for rankings, we deserve #1. This team has worked their butts off and I'm very proud of them so far...

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe a repeat? Hilites:

To her credit Sherri said her young team just lost it essentially. We're ready for the stage.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Watched game again and a few points to add:
-Walker and ONO seemed to have extra energy for this game. Knowing that holiday break coming? In any case, both ran as hard or harder than ever seen.
-ONO continues to work to raise her hands straight up on blocks and go hard for lay ups. Not perfect at either but thrilled to see her progress. No one on OK could match up.
-Always curious why Kyla listed at 6'2", yet next to 6'1" Walker and Anna, seems an inch shorter. Not thrilled Kyla throwing ball several times each of past few games.
-Given more minutes, Aubrey would be a double double machine against teams like OK with no post presence. Even against teams with true bigs, likely can give ONO a rest for few min.
-Seems like every game, Danger has new body party taped. In addition to her bad back and wrist, her shoulder sported a new tape job.
-Had forgotten that Sharri (Sherry?) was a Hall of Fame coach. If ever a HOF for hair styles, she deserves this too, as does Geno.

Happy holidays to all.

Kyla has fewer TOs per minute played than anyone else on the team by a large margin. 8 TO in 185 minutes = 1.73 per 40. Next best is Anna at 2.12 per 40.

Reaction Score
Olivia is becoming a super star in front of our eyes. When she starts hitting her outside shot, she will be a legit AA. Megan already is, even though she still need to be a bit smarter with ball security. Williams seems stuck in a bit of a funk as far as her outside shooting is concerned ( even after she hit her first three ). But she is playing great defense and no one drives faster to the hoop. She, too, can be sloppy with ball security. Aubrey looked alive and comfortable yesterday. She is going to be a force. And that is not far off. She seems able to dominate on defense and on coverting at the hoop. When her outside shooting gets going....we are in for a treat. And other teams will be dismayed beyond belief. Imagine; full-on excellence from Williams, Grifffen, Olivia, Danger and Walker ! Merry Xmas.
Happy Holidays. I agree on Olivia she, to me, is the one player Uconn needs to play at a high level to achieve the next NC. Her evolving into a player to respect is amazing considering where she was at this time last year. She is talented (beyond my greatest hopes) and has learned to stay on the floor, i.e. no fouls. The words for her elude me but they include wonderful, excellent, tremendous, one heck of a kid.

Reaction Score
Kyla has fewer TOs per minute played than anyone else on the team by a large margin. 8 TO in 185 minutes = 1.73 per 40. Next best is Anna at 2.12 per 40.
Irwin has been exceptional this year. Someone made a mistake or Kyla has been hiding this side of her for 3 plus years. Sometimes all a kid needs is a chance to show her stuff maybe that's KYLA. ANIA is hiding nothing she knows she has to show her stuff as she steps on the floor. For the most part she is doing that. Thanks for the STATS.

Reaction Score
I thought OK gave up altogether in the last 3-4 minutes. They chucked up shots on offense and played zero defense. But those who thought UConn scored more in the last minute than was necessary may have a point.

It was Aubrey our spitfire frosh who roared in for that last lay-up. CD said afterward that she wasn't happy about it but could understand how the youngster got carried away. I'm sure Aubrey hadn't any idea that she was doing a no-no. She'll be advised. CD added that Griffin is a "great kid." Sherri knows that no harm or disrespect was intended, and Geno will reinforce that with her, I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Irwin has been exceptional this year. Someone made a mistake or Kyla has been hiding this side of her for 3 plus years. Sometimes all a kid needs is a chance to show her stuff maybe that's KYLA. ANIA is hiding nothing she knows she has to show her stuff as she steps on the floor. For the most part she is doing that. Thanks for the STATS.

Reaction Score
Very happy for Kyla, but it's not about being given a chance to show her stuff. It's about the third rail that no one wants to address in women's sports..................................weight (the losing thereof).

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Very happy for Kyla, but it's not about being given a chance to show her stuff. It's about the third rail that no one wants to address in women's sports..................................weight (the losing thereof).

Both Kyla and Geno have said that the difference for her this year is sticking to what she does well — and only what she does well.

Geno said the past three years it was almost like she was trying to prove she belonged, so she did EVERYTHING. That led to a long life on the bench.

It had nothing to do with her size and conditioning.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It was Aubrey our spitfire frosh who roared in for that last lay-up. CD said afterward that she wasn't happy about it but could understand how the youngster got carried away. I'm sure Aubrey hadn't any idea that she was doing a no-no. She'll be advised. CD added that Griffin is a "great kid." Sherri knows that no harm or disrespect was intended, and Geno will reinforce that with her, I'm sure.
Pretty sure Aubrey passed to Christyn for that layup. See the 6:25 mark of the above highlights video.

Reaction Score

I think Coach Auriemma said it best, he said "Kyla has been pressing too hard and trying to prove she belongs at UConn since the minute she stepped on the court, once she realized her role and what she is good at, she really took off". There is no doubt that Irwin has been the "glue" for this team and has done a tremendous job in her senior season.

Reaction Score
Oh please! First, although you have watched her more often, you are not the only person on the board who saw Aubrey play in high school. Second, from day one there has been general agreement that Aubrey is unusually gifted and will be a special player. While we might not have taken your word for it, we have taken Geno's. Third, most of the blow back you have received wasn't about whether Aubrey could "turn it on" or has a good jumper. It was about your claim that she would lead the team in scoring. I suppose that could still happen, but I have my doubts.

And before you make the old "she would lead the team if she played as many minutes as Megan" argument, the same could be said about Molly, based on her stats against Oklahoma. (And no, I am not comparing Aubrey and Molly. I am just making a point about the perils of extrapolation).

Does your arm ever get tired from patting yourself on the back?
First of all, Molly has a trey and 3 assists [in 4 minutes], the thread-the-needle assist to a cutting ONO was one for the ages. So why only 4 minutes while four teammates saw 35+ minutes in a blowout. Doesn't sound 'teamly' to me...
Secondly, i m not patting myself on the back ... just expressing reality, eh?

Reaction Score
What some of us did not take you seriously on was not the fact you now are saying, "Aubrey could "turn it on" or a "scoring machine", but you said she will be high scorer on team "this year", eh?
You're right, I thought Aubrey would earn more minutes "this year" but alas, not to be .. oh well, I was wrong...

Reaction Score
While it may be seen as running up the score against the losing team I don't think that was intended. I was at the game and the first half, while showing improvement, still had many unforced errors and a lack of flow. Players got the ball and hesitated when they had a good shot. Less than other games but still there.
In the second half, when pulling away from a disheartened opponent, they got into their transition and I could see their confidence soar. The energy level was high. They rebounded agressively, the passes were crisp and shots were well chosen and taken confidently. Sure, it was against a team that had lost their energy but I think it did a lot to the confidence of a couple of the newer players to hear the cheers and to believe in themselves.
Geno has usually shut doesn't the transition game in the second half when the score got one-sided and we watched the team play a slowdown game, something that has never suited UConn teams. I read a saying once that you don't hitch a race horse to a plow. On Sunday CD let them do something they are good at and I enjoyed every basket and it was obvious they did too. Maybe it was CD's holiday gift to them. :)

Reaction Score
First of all, Molly has a trey and 3 assists [in 4 minutes], the thread-the-needle assist to a cutting ONO was one for the ages. So why only 4 minutes while four teammates saw 35+ minutes in a blowout. Doesn't sound 'teamly' to me...
Secondly, i m not patting myself on the back ... just expressing reality, eh?

I'd say that the coaches know that the 7 player rotation needs a lot of playing time together to become the well-oiled machine UConn fans are accustomed to seeing.

BTW, I have no problem with your posts about Griffin. If over-exuberance and unbridled optimism were banned from here some of the most popular posters would be in trouble.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
How Liv's game is improving? Hint. CD

The in-season work is starting to pay off, too. Nelson-Ododa says she’s been working with Dailey on positioning and finishing hard, both of which were on display in her stellar night against the Sooners.

“It definitely feels more natural, especially with the more work I put in with coaches like [Dailey], where she’s on me every day about positioning and posting up hard,” Nelson-Ododa said.

And that’s precisely what UConn needs her to continue to do moving forward.
“I think that’s the role that I need to play right now and a role I need to embrace,” Nelson-Ododa said. “And so, just continuing to fight down low and work on positioning and just working on finishing strong is what I need to do.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom