Oklahoma post game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Oklahoma post game thread

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Lot to like, CD's quiet "Geno who?" was a hoot, everybody's joy after contributing to an old-fashioned blowout, that no-doubt third quarter and quality finish. Shari Coale's present to Geno; first the 1000th win, now the back door to number one, their friendship going back years, and he wasn't even there. Happy Holidays to all.

Few people know just how far Geno and Sharri go back. I read somewhere a while back that he recommended Coale for the OU head coach position when she was a candidate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In my previous replies I have explained why I don't think we were running up the score. But even if you are right, this particular team needs to learn how to keep it's foot on the gas and play for a full 40. Did you see the second half of the DePaul game?

I believe you're right, CO. Once a team finds the rhythm that UConn had in the 4th quarter, you cannot simply abandon it. Strangely, there was a feeling of inevitability about what the Huskies were doing. It was like a pool of piranha making the water boil around a prey, Impossible to bring a sudden halt to it. AND it looked sooo great! The moment and the opponent were irrelevant.

Reaction Score
I find Anna’s passing the best on team but her game today was defense. She and Liv were defensive players of the game but this was Liv’s game. I did notice Anna has lengthened her stride and so is moving faster on court. CW’s passing, on the other hand, was mostly disasters. Aubrey played great. She is going to need a jumper at some point but she doesn’t get enough minutes that opposing teams will know not to worry about her from any distance and if she continues to drive inside, we’ll who cares?
She has a shot, just needs to shoot in practice and have Geno give her the green light.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was there, due to a ticket mix-up I ended up with great seats close to the action. UConn looked rusty early but Crystal played great in the first half. And it was a good defensive effort early as well although outside of Robertson, Oklahoma’s shooting was miserable, missed a lot of open shots. We would not have been up by much if at all without Crystal.

Some inexplicably bad passes and maddening missed layups.

I liked the officiating for the most part. Some ticky tack but generally let them play.

Second half was a thing of beauty. Much has been said already, would just add that:

1. Aubrey gets to the rim so easily it is scary. She moves at a different speed than anyone other than Crystal.

2. UConn is in much better shape than Oklahoma. They were gassed, missing a lot of shots and not getting back on defense. Olivia outran the defense a couple of times for easy layups. OK played pretty good defense early in the game but couldn’t maintain it.

Reaction Score
I thought OK gave up altogether in the last 3-4 minutes. They chucked up shots on offense and played zero defense. But those who thought UConn scored more in the last minute than was necessary may have a point.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
The only unnecessary score was the final bucket. UConn plays all 40 minutes. If you're gonna leave the lane wide open in the final 5 minutes, you will pay (deservingly so).
Our seats were right across from the UConn bench. CD was trying to tell them no more scoring on the last 2 possessions.

Reaction Score
[I find Anna's passing to be puzzling at times; couple of them looked more like floaters; the "finesse" seems to be unusual & maybe vulnerable to TOs. Also I'm still nervous when she brings the ball back up the floor; she seems to be on the verge of getting caught in traps.

---
Mohegan was a great atmosphere with few empty seats other then the upper deck.

Q1 was not encouraging, but whatever CD did at the half was the right thing to do.

Watching ONO bust out on offense and play good D with solid passing and careful foul play - she got MVP & a big ovations from the crowd, both upon getting the award and leaving the game late in Q4.

Aubrey keeps looking like Gabby Williams, just a thrill to watch.

Evelyn still was a no-play despite the lop-sided 2nd half - puzzling to me at least.

Great game great things & some not - Anna nearly went O for Mohegan waiting to the fleeting moments and repeatedly dishing off rather than taking it to the hoop. I believe in just a handful of play minutes Aubrey outscored Kyla & Anna combined who whose combined play time was close to the full game.

I love that we will be #1, but a razor thin team.
Anna’s primary role is enable others to score. Aubrey did outscore Kyla and Anna but that is her game right now. She doesn’t facilitate others to score and when she does she will see more minutes.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Liv is 27 pts, 15 rebs, 7 blks ....too much for a sophomore in UConn ?

Something else about Liv that no one has mentioned. She’s been staying out of foul trouble since the Seton Hall game. It would appear that someone talked to her, and she’s learned that lesson. That is a huge milestone in her ongoing growth and development.

Reaction Score
Liv is also mastering CD's teaching on the art of blocking shots. I see less swatting which can lead to fouling and more block than recover the ball....Stokes was the master but Liv is rapidly getting there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Liv is also mastering CD's teaching on the art of blocking shots. I see less swatting which can lead to fouling and more block than recover the ball....Stokes was the master but Liv is rapidly getting there.
This may be sacrilege, but at this point in her career, Liv is a much better shot blocker than Stewie. Now if she could only knock down her 3’s....:cool:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
ONO's quick hands and feet are pretty obvious but the main thing that's allowed her to improve so fast is that she's wicked smart. She not only understands the movements and purpose of the offense but she already understands all the defensive and offensive concepts that the coaches have shown her so far. When she learns to turn over her left shoulder with a drop step, look out.
And develop a jump hook.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Griffin is electric. Haven't seen a kid in many years that gets off her feet as quick as she does.

Again I remind you that Geno said she will only get better as time goes on, and she becomes comfortable with the system and settles in. This is as bad as she will ever play. We’ve already seen a few flashes of things she can do. Things that she will do next season and beyond routinely once she understands the system. She’ll be worth the price of admission.

Geno and her teammates are on record saying that she’s the best athlete on the team, that she’s “Gabby-like” in that she can do things no one else on the team can do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now, if Barney could only score and rebound like Olivia he may have gotten to use his ONE bullet
This is WOMENS basketball !! Obviously it refers to Aunt Bea or Helen Crump.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She has a shot, just needs to shoot in practice and have Geno give her the green light.
So I was at the game today with pretty good center court seats only 6 rows up and what I noticed in both sets of warmups was Crystal has the highest arc on her shots, Meg is second, Molly, Kyla, Christyn and then Anna has the lowest arc of all of them. I am a moderate shot analyst but have read enough to know most analytics show higher arcs (including Taylor Robinson’s shot) have a better chance of going in. I look to our colleagues to hear their thoughts. Again, I am no basketball shot guru by any stretch so I am curious to hear others views.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Poor Oklahoma has to face Baylor next. Tough 1-2 punch. I hope they play them tough at home.
I hope they beat them, I don't think they have anyone that can guard Robertson.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I love her attitude about her OOC schedule and how it’s important to grow the game. Someone send this presser to Vic.
Geno loves her also, he gave her some cudo's to the people of Oklahoma before she was interviewed for the job, she stated years ago if it had been anyone other then Geno recommending that OK hire her she would not have been the coach at OK.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom