Okay I’m off the Ollie train | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Okay I’m off the Ollie train

Reaction Score
Have to say, no excuse for this team including KO. No heart or pride. No accountability and that's sqaurely on the coach.

This team has the intesity of an AAU highlight video. Rediculous.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Tell me who do the TOP programs the vast majority of the time have more success with... Juco's or High school recruits?

2/13 scholarship players on this team are JUCO players. Why are you even arguing this?

Reaction Score
It’s horrendous but firing Ollie especially after all the turnovers with staff n players, I’ll have to holdout nw and see how this team respond for the remainder of this year.. I mean Ollie’s still figuring out who to start games & play off the bench, roles are going to be defined during aac play, didn’t like Anderson starting tho n Larrier is too soft for me, vital might not be here next year , & as a person who played basketball when u throw it down to the post the opposite player from the wing cuts to the basket for easy shots, y are we standing on the perimeter like we’re a great 3 point shooting team is mind blowing!!

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
A really, really, really good Louisville team. Comparing this Arkansas team to that Louisville team is a joke.

Because at this point in the season you know every team that is really really good? Did everyone expect us to be very very good and win it all in 2014? Let me know when we fill out the brackets, I want to be in your pool. I'm going to be a millionare in April.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
And it should be noted in an off season interview it was Kevin Ollie said who after that game, when he was "yelling like a mad man" which was the wrong approach, Shabazz Napier gathered the team around and told them calmly "We are gonna win the National Championship". Ollie basically credited Napier for taking control of the team at that point.

That wasn't the last time Bazz gathered the team that season to be the voice of reason....

Reaction Score
I'd love to hear Willie99 or MauConnfan tell me how wrong I am about KO after we just lost the last 2 games by 55 points. This ought to be good.

Reaction Score
This is why I have been concerned for 3 years. Ollie needs to go ASAP. He coaches like a player's friend that's why he can't hold them accountable. He's not a good coach and his eye for talent and recruiting is horrendous as well.

We need to look at Pikiell, assistants at Villanova, Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier. Top European coaches should also get a look.

Reaction Score
Not excusing Ollie, but the American has been a drain on recruiting. None of the top teams in the conference are killing it on the recruting trail.

Reaction Score
The program is an absolute mess. Even as poor as we were last year, losing all those players was a killer for this year. There are so many new pieces to this team. There's no chemistry, it's even worse than 2016 with Gibbs & Miller. Those were reasonably talented kids at least. This team is short on talent, chemistry, experience, shooting, size, rebounding, etc.

Ollie was dealt a crappy hand but he's only made it worse. It's difficult to defend him at this point. He's Tubby Smith, and probably a poor man's Tubby Smith at that. Mike Davis is most likely a better comparison.

Since leaving the Big East and losing Calhoun, our worst fears are being realized. This program is dead. That's not an overreaction. We're Houston after Guy Lewis, UNLV after Tark. Our conference situation absolutely kills us. We can't survive the down periods that Indiana had after Knight/Davis, UNC after Smith/Guthridge, etc. We have nothing to sell kids right now. A terrible conference, empty arenas and limited TV exposure.

We aren't going to be able to get a sexy replacement unless the AD ponies up an absurd amount of cash and makes someone an offer they can't refuse. Even still, at that point I don't think we're a destination anymore. We're a stepping-stone. A younger coach would leave UConn to go to one of the blueboods.

This isn't hyperbole. Anyone who doesn't see it needs a reality check.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The knock in the AD is Ollie wants to be buddies with players and not their coach. He’s had a whole rash of personal issues with a myriad of guys.

It reflects itself in how he coaches. It’s a disaster. I felt like I was coming around on Ollie a few days ago but I’m cooked. The lack of preparation for this game was just jarring.

Losing is one thing. But how you lose is
Everything. The same problems, different cast every year. Just general lack of preparedness. Not much fight. Not much size. It’s just the movie Groundhog Day over and over again.
Even in the NBA the coach has to be the coach. It's even more true in college. You can be comfortable with the players, but not friends. You're their leader, not their cheerleader.

Reaction Score
It’s horrendous but firing Ollie especially after all the turnovers with staff n players, I’ll have to holdout nw and see how this team respond for the remainder of this year.. I mean Ollie’s still figuring out who to start games & play off the bench, roles are going to be defined during aac play, didn’t like Anderson starting tho n Larrier is too soft for me, vital might not be here next year , & as a person who played basketball when u throw it down to the post the opposite player from the wing cuts to the basket for easy shots, y are we standing on the perimeter like we’re a great 3 point shooting team is mind blowing!!
Who do you think should shoulder a lot of the blame for all the personnel and staff turnover? We're seeing a common refrain that it's assistant coaches and players who didn't want to buy in that are the problem and not the head coach who apparently doesn't have an accurate mirror to see himself.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Because at this point in the season you know every team that is really really good? Did everyone expect us to be very very good and win it all in 2014? Let me know when we fill out the brackets, I want to be in your pool. I'm going to be a millionare in April.
this is a bad take.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The boys got it down to 10. Looked liked it was going to change. Then 2 back to back 3's and it was over. Seemed to me the guys figured after awhile what else can we do. Every time they started to roll ARK buried a couple of 3's. It was lights out. AND, that is with defenders in their FACE!! I didn't see box score yet, but how many threes? 15? What is Ollie supposed to do. My concern was rebounding. It is okay to fight for a rebound and lose, but it would be nice if someone had a few minutes to actually go under the hoop! ARK is not ranked. I would have a hard time agreeing ARK is a mediocre team. I hope Carlton was taking notes. He needs to get off his feet. Half the time he wasn't around the basket. I don't know, Embarrassing indeed. It was men against boys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom