Ogunbowale’s Personal Foul | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ogunbowale’s Personal Foul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has there been any social media on Arike's play? Would seem people would be commenting on her obvious cheapshots

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Anyone watches this video and still thinks Arike is not intentionally fouling Crystal he is not a UConn fan ...
I think any objective analysis yields the same conclusion: The foul was intentional.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I was stunned with the aforementioned plays. The first one at half court should have been a flagrant, it looked intenitional. The second one should have gotten her kicked out of the game.

One of my biggest complaints about ND, in general, is that they are very poor losers. I have long thought this, and it of course was never clearer to me, after we beat ND twice last year. This was evident yesterday in the ugliness/dirty plays.
Nice to read that neutral observers validate the impressions and feelings of UConn devotees. Thank you, Jenny.

Reaction Score
Really uncalled for. And, as said above, potentially dangerous. And she is a senior. She should know better. I expect she feels bad now about losing her cool.
She doesn’t feel bad. She was angry they were losing and she took it out on whoever including the opposing coach ha! She did it with the whole arena to see because she wanted too. I have no dog in this fight. Not a UConn or ND fan.
Mariya Moore had two flagrants in back to back tourney games her frosh year in 2015. The first one she decked a BYU player with a shoulder shiver any WWE fan would be proud of. The next game Mariya clobbered some kid on a rebound. She got called both times and that put a stop to it and her antics never reappeared.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought the more flagrant cheap shot took place a few minutes before the technical when it appeared that Ogunbowale clothes lined and slew footed Dangerfield knocking her hard to the floor. Obviously the refs missed the incident, but I'm sure the UConn bench didn't. Kudos to Crystal for keeping her cool and not responding.
Agree this one was the worst one. Second was make up call

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
She also undercut Williams on a drive to the basket, while she was in the air. Just sayin’

At first I thought that was unintentional until I saw the replay. It looks like she deliberately leans in while CW is in the air. At this level, she must know how dangerous that is.

There was a piece on the ESPN broadcast about how Ogunbowale received all of the attention after last year's final four (Kobe visit, Ellen show, Dancing with the stars...) and how that could go to a kid's head, but it hadn't. I'm not so sure about that. To me it looked a lot like she expected everything to go her way and when it didn't, she had a meltdown.

Reaction Score
If you marry up what Arike did in the UCONN Game and what she did in the game vs Oregon State (kicking Janessa Thropay in the head during a scrum for a loose ball), Arike should have been ejected in the UCONN game. Muffet should have disciplined her as well. The pattern of unsportsmanlike & dangerous behavior is glaring.

Reaction Score
If you marry up what Arike did in the UCONN Game and what she did in the game vs Oregon State (kicking Janessa Thropay in the head during a scrum for a loose ball), Arike should have been ejected in the UCONN game. Muffet should have disciplined her as well. The pattern of unsportsmanlike & dangerous behavior is glaring.
It’s called enabling on the part of McGraw.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You couldn't miss it if you were watching the game unless your eyes were focused on another player. I jumped out of my chair and even my husband was like 'what was that"?
My comment was that the link Biff provided didn’t work for me

Reaction Score
I am not as sure that Kantner was in a good position. From where she was CD was directly between Dee and Arike. Most of the closing movement of Arike towards Dangerfield would have been tough to see from that side of the court. The ref on the camera side however had a clear view she appears to be loking further up the court.

Refs make mistakes all the time because it's a very difficult job to see everything on the court in real time and make snap judgements but, I really don't subscribe to the view that they are making concious biased decisions on the calls.

I think this was before she was called for the T, and that this is probably what Geno was complaining to the ref about, when Arike mouthed off to the ref/Geno.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Given everything that CD went through in the game, and there was a lot of little stuff - pushing and shoving - throughout as well as the more egregious things we've pointed out here , I think it is really amazing that she kept her focus and poise throughout the game. Kudos to Crystal for her performance in what must have been a very challenging game for her.

Reaction Score
I believe when the head of the officials review that game and see that play they will have some questions for Dee Kantner as to why she did not call something.
Was she the ref that was fired from the NBA? I’m all for second chances, but that should be a sign she shouldn’t be in a high level officiating post.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Was she the ref that was fired from the NBA? I’m all for second chances, but that should be a sign she shouldn’t be in a high level officiating post.
Yes and according to ESPN she is rated one of the TOP refs in the Women's game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
After last year's miracle shot, have tended to watch her more and beginning to form an opinion that she has a lot of Grayson Allen in her. While at Duke, under pressure, Grayson tended to reach out, grab, kick, etc. and Ogunbowale has many of the same tendancies.

That season that Allen kept repeatedly tripping and kicking opponents was so surreal. I couldn't believe that was actually happening. And nothing was being done about it. If a coach doesn't reign behavior like that in, then the coach is giving implicit approval of the behavior. Ogunbowale is not quite that blatant, but not that far off. And McGraw appears to be doing nothing about it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
@ShabooAllStar @donalddoowop @uconnfan68 @Biff
I recorded the game and have tried to most accurately give the posters sequencing so we don't run amok with our views
Arike badly undercuts Christyn for "and 1" at 7:25 mark of the 4th Quarter. Upon looking at this in slow motion, this is really a deliberate and dangerous play by Arike.

At 4:25, Mabry fouls Meg along the baseline, which due to UConn being in the bonus, puts Meg on the line. Right after the foul, we can see Geno talking to his left at the Blond women Ref, Arike is to his right and walks towards Geno's left out of the frame. The shot cuts to Muffet who is looking frustrated (please note she is not complaining) and then cuts back to Geno mouthing to Arike "don't be giving me this" as he sweeps his left hand in an away fashion. He says/does this twice and looks away as Meg shoots and then the ref blows the technical.

Now at 3:31 CD goes to the line, makes 2 free throws, Kantner is running up the court watching Jackie Young dribble, as CD fall to the ground you can see Dee Kantner turn her head at CD wondering what happened, the blond ref also was running up the court and did not see it as she too turned head when CD went down and paused, however as the frame plays out, the male ref along the ND baseline saw most of it and is seen coming forward with his whistle but looks at Kantner who shrugs like "I didn't see anything" -which is true, she didn't. Now as the male ref did see it, he watches Arike like a hawk over the next 2 minutes and catches her with her arm around CD- and immediately blows the whistle as he's been watching her.
Biff is correct that Kantner did not see it, so no one "Swallowed their whistle". Kantner gets a lot of flack but last night I thought she called a pretty good game.

Reaction Score
At 4:25, Mabry fouls Meg along the baseline, which due to UConn being in the bonus, puts Meg on the line. Right after the foul, we can see Geno talking to his left at the Blond women Ref, Arike is to his right and walks towards Geno's left out of the frame. The shot cuts to Muffet who is looking frustrated (please note she is not complaining) and then cuts back to Geno mouthing to Arike "don't be giving me this" as he sweeps his left hand in an away fashion. He says/does this twice and looks away as Meg shoots and then the ref blows the technical.

You forgot the followup review that gives a different angle which has the ref, Geno and Arike all in the same frame. It clearly shows Geno talking directly to the ref and Arike walking toward the bench and Geno, coming between Geno and the ref and saying something to Geno.

Reaction Score
I recorded the game and have tried to most accurately give the posters sequencing so we don't run amok with our views
Arike badly undercuts Christyn for "and 1" at 7:25 mark of the 4th Quarter. Upon looking at this in slow motion, this is really a deliberate and dangerous play by Arike.

Now at 3:31 CD goes to the line, makes 2 free throws, Kantner is running up the court watching Jackie Young dribble, as CD fall to the ground you can see Dee Kantner turn her head at CD wondering what happened, the blond ref also was running up the court and did not see it as she too turned head when CD went down and paused, however as the frame plays out, the male ref along the ND baseline saw most of it and is seen coming forward with his whistle but looks at Kantner who shrugs like "I didn't see anything" -which is true, she didn't. Now as the male ref did see it, he watches Arike like a hawk over the next 2 minutes and catches her with her arm around CD- and immediately blows the whistle as he's been watching her.
Biff is correct that Kantner did not see it, so no one "Swallowed their whistle". Kantner gets a lot of flack but last night I thought she called a pretty good game.
this is the first time i have seen anyone post a comment on the play in Q4 when Arike undercuts Williams while she was in the air - en route to 3-point play. To me, the most dangerous thing she did all game and VERY intentional.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
this is the first time i have seen anyone post a comment on the play in Q4 when Arike undercuts Williams while she was in the air - en route to 3-point play. To me, the most dangerous thing she did all game and VERY intentional.
Scroll down to older posts. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of posts on the play

Reaction Score
That season that Allen kept repeatedly tripping and kicking opponents was so surreal. I couldn't believe that was actually happening. And nothing was being done about it. If a coach doesn't reign behavior like that in, then the coach is giving implicit approval of the behavior. Ogunbowale is not quite that blatant, but not that far off. And McGraw appears to be doing nothing about it.
what is happeneing at ND? Do they have any nuns around to police the behavior of their students there?

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
what is happeneing at ND? Do they have any nuns around to police the behavior of their students there?

Well, nuns - as teachers - have a history of doling out harsh punishment. Maybe getting smacked on the back of the hand with a ruler too many times has some negative effects.:D

Reaction Score

well, if the male ref saw it, I guess he swallowed his whistle. I don't think he needs Kantner's ok to make a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom