Ogunbowale’s Personal Foul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ogunbowale’s Personal Foul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ogunbowale saw things differently.

“I think we fed right into what they wanted - he baited a lot of us and we lost our poise like she (McGraw) said,” Ogunbowale said. “As seniors and leaders on this team, we can’t let that happen. That definitely was a momentum change.”

Any clue what she's talking about? Geno is busy coaching his team, not playing mind games with opposing players as far as I can tell. He's certainly entitled to complain to the refs; all coaches do. This sounds like a player not accepting responsibility for her actions. I'm wide open for an intelligent rebuttal if there is one.

Reaction Score
I am not as sure that Kantner was in a good position. From where she was CD was directly between Dee and Arike. Most of the closing movement of Arike towards Dangerfield would have been tough to see from that side of the court. The ref on the camera side however had a clear view she appears to be loking further up the court.

Refs make mistakes all the time because it's a very difficult job to see everything on the court in real time and make snap judgements but, I really don't subscribe to the view that they are making concious biased decisions on the calls.

If you still like Arike after watching this, watch it a couple more times and pay particular attention to her left leg. Then, if you still like her, you're a Notre Dame fan.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I've now watched that clip 20 times and I remain stunned by what she did. Equally stunning was Dee's failure to call a foul.

If these teams were in the same conference this video (and others) would be sent to the league office.

Reaction Score
ND’s motto: Vita Dulcedo Spes ...
If it’s true they introduced Uconn as “kentucky”, it fits with the fact that Indiana and Kentucky haven’t much love for each other.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I've now watched that clip 20 times and I remain stunned by what she did. Equally stunning was Dee's failure to call a foul.

If these teams were in the same conference this video (and others) would be sent to the league office.
I hope UConn sends a tape of all of Arike's late fouls to the chief of officials - and a copy to the ND Athletic Director

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

I believe when the head of the officials review that game and see that play they will have some questions for Dee Kantner as to why she did not call something.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I hope UConn sends a tape of all of Arike's late fouls to the chief of officials - and a copy to the ND Athletic Director
I was stunned they didn't flagrant her for that at the time. Just watched it like 10 more times and it is just awful sportsmanship and dangerous too. Then she runs up the courts and signals "I'm open" - well duh, you just decked the player playing defense on you! She should be severely disciplined for the behavior.

I have to believe most of the poo-bahs in women's basketball were watching this game - there better be consequences.

Reaction Score
Mind blowing that she actually gets calls she shouldn’t when she pushes off but then complains and loses it if she gets called.

Reaction Score
Watching in real time I missed the the foul. I can't believe how flagrant the foul was. It was two fouls- the elbow to knock CD down and the trip with her leg. It was so extreme and and so dangerous that Muffet should as a lesson to all the players suspend AO for at least one game. This is a game between two highly skilled teams not a gang fight.

Reaction Score
If you still like Arike after watching this, watch it a couple more times and pay particular attention to her left leg. Then, if you still like her, you're a Notre Dame fan.
Anyone watches this video and still thinks Arike is not intentionally fouling Crystal he is not a UConn fan ...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
None of this should be surprising when playing ND. I haven't been able to find the shots/ clips I'm looking for but there is the chest punch/ forearm that McBride threw at Stef during a championship game or the forearm shot to Stewie's shoulder in a national semi-final game. Then there's the leg kick that knocked Steph on her butt. I'm sure there are many more examples.

Arike should have been slapped with a flagrent 1 on the first foul on Danger. Same with the second one. Then add on the stupid behavior while Geno is talking to a ref. Muffet needs to deal with this behavior though I doubt that will happen. Arike should serve a suspension of some significant time period. That's not going to happen either.

Reaction Score
I find it difficult to believe that the hip check escaped notice by the ref. Nonetheless, I am hard pressed to remember another game in which the Huskies enjoyed an advantage over ND in free throw scoring. Yesterday was 17/20 (Huskies) to 16/24 (ND).

Reaction Score
None of this should be surprising when playing ND. I haven't been able to find the shots/ clips I'm looking for but there is the chest punch/ forearm that McBride threw at Stef during a championship game or the forearm shot to Stewie's shoulder in a national semi-final game. Then there's the leg kick that knocked Steph on her butt. I'm sure there are many more examples.

Arike should have been slapped with a flagrent 1 on the first foul on Danger. Same with the second one. Then add on the stupid behavior while Geno is talking to a ref. Muffet needs to deal with this behavior though I doubt that will happen. Arike should serve a suspension of some significant time period. That's not going to happen either.
Does basketball have an equivalent to soccer's dreaded red card?

Reaction Score
Really uncalled for. And, as said above, potentially dangerous. And she is a senior. She should know better. I expect she feels bad now about losing her cool.
After last year's miracle shot, have tended to watch her more and beginning to form an opinion that she has a lot of Grayson Allen in her. While at Duke, under pressure, Grayson tended to reach out, grab, kick, etc. and Ogunbowale has many of the same tendancies.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I was stunned with the aforementioned plays. The first one at half court should have been a flagrant, it looked intenitional. The second one should have gotten her kicked out of the game.

One of my biggest complaints about ND, in general, is that they are very poor losers. I have long thought this, and it of course was never clearer to me, after we beat ND twice last year. This was evident yesterday in the ugliness/dirty plays.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I was stunned they didn't flagrant her for that at the time. Just watched it like 10 more times and it is just awful sportsmanship and dangerous too. Then she runs up the courts and signals "I'm open" - well duh, you just decked the player playing defense on you! She should be severely disciplined for the behavior.

I have to believe most of the poo-bahs in women's basketball were watching this game - there better be consequences.
One announcer mentioned that she was open but failed to explained why she was open.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Mind blowing that she actually gets calls she shouldn’t when she pushes off but then complains and loses it if she gets called.
It seems that the two habits are sides of the same coin, so to speak. It is ever thus. In the spirit of a previous poster quoting a Latin prayer, Sic Semper

Reaction Score
It is too bad that Arike resorted to some very questionable tactics. She is a very talented player who has already achieved fame from her two clutch shots last year. She should not taint her reputation with unsportsmanlike behavior.
I appreciate toughness. Some of the physical play I accept as heat of the moment. The comment that got her a T was dumb, but not criminal. (How many Ts does DT get for her mouth?) But she should have simply owned up to saying something she shouldnt and left it at that. That swing at Dangerfield was uncalled for, immature, and dangerous. And there were a couple of other incidents which were, IMO, well beyond "tough play". Maybe the talk of this game will make the refs more alert to this.
Just saw the game replay....
Totally agree with you and others. I just lost a good chunk of respect for Arike as a player (don't know her as a person to judge her, though it is in tough times that one's true character comes out imo!). Not only did she take a cheap shot at Crystal, (actually 2X), she showed poor sportsmanship and lack of class by, not so much earning a T (from something she apparently said to Geno), but ignoring the coach's handshake gesture at the end of the game. Maybe her "heroics" from the NCAA Tournament has gone to her head. Too sad!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
ND’s motto: Vita Dulcedo Spes ...
If it’s true they introduced Uconn as “kentucky”, it fits with the fact that Indiana and Kentucky haven’t much love for each other.
Not a lot of sweetness, or fond hope from a few ND players!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Last night it kinda got lost in the shufffle, but she really had to work at that to get that call with 1:43 to play. I was proud of just how composed Crystal stayed. For those who did not see it, let Jeff Jacob's describe it: "As Notre Dame took off on transition offense, she got an unsportsmanlike foul for wrapping her arm around Crystal Dangerfield’s head from behind with 1:43 left. " Jeff left off the English applied by Arike in an effort to send Crystal (or her head) spinning : total BS and worse, totally dangerous.

I missed last night the ref during the time out called both coaches over and she mimed Arike's attempted yank or spin move. Of course the announcers turned into church mice. Why it was not a flagrant is beyond me since it was purely gratuitous.
I also liked Arike calling for the ball right after taking out Crystal, and "freeing herself up."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom