Ogunbowale’s Personal Foul | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ogunbowale’s Personal Foul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you marry up what Arike did in the UCONN Game and what she did in the game vs Oregon State (kicking Janessa Thropay in the head during a scrum for a loose ball), Arike should have been ejected in the UCONN game. Muffet should have disciplined her as well. The pattern of unsportsmanlike & dangerous behavior is glaring.

I also hope that Coco Husky now understands the relevance of Pac12Fan's post in respect to that incident. However, the kick to the head did not occur during a loose ball scrum, but after the play was over with both players stationary on the ground. This was right after a play in which she was assessed a flagrant for fore-arming another Oregon player in the face. This issue is not about what happened to the Oregon St. or Uconn players, but the serial behavior of a specific player. It will probably take a suspension of sorts to put an end to it.

Reaction Score
Anyone else remember when Ogunbowale threw a punch at an opposing player, I think it was her freshmen season?

Reaction Score
How many flagrant fouls does this particular player have this season? in her career?

Is there a rule about getting repeated flagrant fouls?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Anyone else remember when Ogunbowale threw a punch at an opposing player, I think it was her freshmen season?

when i saw you post... i assumed you were gonna talk about the dirty play of #24 in last years ACC Semis vs yall.

Reaction Score
I thought the more flagrant cheap shot took place a few minutes before the technical when it appeared that Ogunbowale clothes lined and slew footed Dangerfield knocking her hard to the floor. Obviously the refs missed the incident, but I'm sure the UConn bench didn't. Kudos to Crystal for keeping her cool and not responding.
Watch the replay. The ref was right there, looking at it. Pitiful.

Reaction Score
I've not been to a live game in years, so my question is: At one time screaming out an F Bomb was taboo. Is that now just another day at the beach for the officials, and is it okay because everyone does it?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Watch the replay. The ref was right there, looking at it. Pitiful.
The only ref that might have seen it was the male ref along the ND baseline. He seemed to be looking at Kantner but who knows if that's why. Kantner and the Blond ref DID NOT see the play. I have it on VCR and they were not looking at Arike/CD. Stop overplaying your disgust.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
@ShabooAllStar @donalddoowop @uconnfan68 @Biff
I recorded the game and have tried to most accurately give the posters sequencing so we don't run amok with our views
Arike badly undercuts Christyn for "and 1" at 7:25 mark of the 4th Quarter. Upon looking at this in slow motion, this is really a deliberate and dangerous play by Arike.

At 4:25, Mabry fouls Meg along the baseline, which due to UConn being in the bonus, puts Meg on the line. Right after the foul, we can see Geno talking to his left at the Blond women Ref, Arike is to his right and walks towards Geno's left out of the frame. The shot cuts to Muffet who is looking frustrated (please note she is not complaining) and then cuts back to Geno mouthing to Arike "don't be giving me this" as he sweeps his left hand in an away fashion. He says/does this twice and looks away as Meg shoots and then the ref blows the technical.

Now at 3:31 CD goes to the line, makes 2 free throws, Kantner is running up the court watching Jackie Young dribble, as CD fall to the ground you can see Dee Kantner turn her head at CD wondering what happened, the blond ref also was running up the court and did not see it as she too turned head when CD went down and paused, however as the frame plays out, the male ref along the ND baseline saw most of it and is seen coming forward with his whistle but looks at Kantner who shrugs like "I didn't see anything" -which is true, she didn't. Now as the male ref did see it, he watches Arike like a hawk over the next 2 minutes and catches her with her arm around CD- and immediately blows the whistle as he's been watching her.
Biff is correct that Kantner did not see it, so no one "Swallowed their whistle". Kantner gets a lot of flack but last night I thought she called a pretty good game.
Keep in mind that is the way you saw it and that does not make it so. I saw it differently.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
A few posters have called the knock down of Crystal Dangerfield at half court a "body check" or "hip check." Calling it by those more innocuous terms diminishes the seriousness of the attack (in fact, it was vicious, in my view) and even gives the perpetrator some deniability to hang on to by saying "Oh, I only bumped into her and she fell." A cursory viewing of the replay may make it look like a "body check," but if you look closely at it numerous times you can see her kick Crystal Dangerfield's leg out from under her and while she's off balance Arike knocks her down with her left arm. It's a studied move, and given how many times she made moves like this to take players down in the game, I'll bet she's very proud of her skill. I agree with others who have said she should face some kind of discipline or suspension, either by ND or the NCAA, preferably the latter.

Reaction Score
this is the first time i have seen anyone post a comment on the play in Q4 when Arike undercuts Williams while she was in the air - en route to 3-point play. To me, the most dangerous thing she did all game and VERY intentional.
Absoutely no question about it. Anyone who has ever stepped on a basketball court knows how dangerous an undercut to a plyer driving the lane is. Far more dangerous than to a rebounder, actually.

Reaction Score
what is happeneing at ND? Do they have any nuns around to police the behavior of their students there?
ND needs my second grade nun, Sister Mary Michael..when we misbehaved, those wooden rosary beads really hurt ..:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Muffet has to be so mad at her dirty plays and unsportsmanlike attitude with the tech and not shaking Genos hand.
Muffet should suspend her. Complete lack of class. I bet Geno was telling his kids not to ever act like that no matter what. It’s winderful to have such classy girls and program.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
She's the ACC preseason Player Of the Year...hmm. I guess this behavior is new this year????? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Arike's poor attitude and dirty play is on tape. Can't argue with that. IMO I dont care what kind of numbers she puts up this year....she will never be NPOY in my eyes. Disgusting!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that is the way you saw it and that does not make it so. I saw it differently.

I watched that play in slo-mo a couple of times. I do not believe that Ogunbowale deliberately undercut Williams. She had other chippy plays but not this one. My opinion is that the contact was incidental and Ogunbowale was simply reacting knowing that the contact was coming.

My point is that we have the time and the technology to disect each and every suspect play and we still have difficulty in agreeing about what we see. Imagine how difficult it is for a ref making (or not making) a call in the moment.

I also wonder what kind of super power some fans have where they can decide that this ref saw that or that ref saw this. How the hell do you tell what a ref is seeing?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"I bet Geno was telling his kids not to ever act like that . . . "

Not kids - and I bet that it's CD telling the players ;)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Muffet has to be so mad at her dirty plays and unsportsmanlike attitude with the tech and not shaking Genos hand.
Muffet should suspend her. Complete lack of class. I bet Geno was telling his kids not to ever act like that no matter what. It’s winderful to have such classy girls and program.
I don't think that is a problem to MM, she barely acknowledges Geno after a loss.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I watched that play in slo-mo a couple of times. I do not believe that Ogunbowale deliberately undercut Williams. She had other chippy plays but not this one. My opinion is that the contact was incidental and Ogunbowale was simply reacting knowing that the contact was coming.

My point is that we have the time and the technology to disect each and every suspect play and we still have difficulty in agreeing about what we see. Imagine how difficult it is for a ref making (or not making) a call in the moment.

I also wonder what kind of super power some fans have where they can decide that this ref saw that or that ref saw this. How the hell do you tell what a ref is seeing?
Kantner was the trail official at that time and it was her job to watch the two players as they went down the court. If she did not see it then she was not doing her job. My comment had nothing to do with the play you mentioned. The play I commented involved Arike and Dangerfield. If you think that was incidental contact then you are mistaken. Even people on the ND message board saw that as being out of line.

Reaction Score
A few posters have called the knock down of Crystal Dangerfield at half court a "body check" or "hip check." Calling it by those more innocuous terms diminishes the seriousness of the attack (in fact, it was vicious, in my view) and even gives the perpetrator some deniability to hang on to by saying "Oh, I only bumped into her and she fell." A cursory viewing of the replay may make it look like a "body check," but if you look closely at it numerous times you can see her kick Crystal Dangerfield's leg out from under her and while she's off balance Arike knocks her down with her left arm. It's a studied move, and given how many times she made moves like this to take players down in the game, I'll bet she's very proud of her skill. I agree with others who have said she should face some kind of discipline or suspension, either by ND or the NCAA, preferably the latter.
Neither will happen. I thought from the NCAA's perspective the bare minimum requires you getting ejected before they'd even look at it. Unsportsmanlike fouls, flagrants, and technicals happen frequently enough that they will not be reviewed beyond the scorer's table. The way to handle it is to dish out a message of your own. We really don't have the bodies for this, but if we had Batouly at our disposal, you let her go out and level one of the Irish, preferably someone important like Mabrey2. Or you send Molly out to deliver a quick and inconspicuous shot to the sternum. Sometimes a bully only understands another bully, and if the refs are going to allow it, then it becomes like baseball where if one of your guys gets plunked, you get a freebie to do the same.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The way to handle it is to dish out a message of your own. We really don't have the bodies for this, but if we had Batouly at our disposal, you let her go out and level one of the Irish, preferably someone important like Mabrey2. Or you send Molly out to deliver a quick and inconspicuous shot to the sternum.

This won't happen at UConn under Geno and if it ever did happen I would move on to find a new team to watch.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Neither will happen. I thought from the NCAA's perspective the bare minimum requires you getting ejected before they'd even look at it. Unsportsmanlike fouls, flagrants, and technicals happen frequently enough that they will not be reviewed beyond the scorer's table. The way to handle it is to dish out a message of your own. We really don't have the bodies for this, but if we had Batouly at our disposal, you let her go out and level one of the Irish, preferably someone important like Mabrey2. Or you send Molly out to deliver a quick and inconspicuous shot to the sternum. Sometimes a bully only understands another bully, and if the refs are going to allow it, then it becomes like baseball where if one of your guys gets plunked, you get a freebie to do the same.
That’s a disgusting thought and you should be ashamed for saying it.

Some people here are losing their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom