Official Start Boyle Based on Overinterpreting Garbage Time Thread | The Boneyard

Official Start Boyle Based on Overinterpreting Garbage Time Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I agree, but would like to see Boyle get more than one series when it means something. He is our quarterback going forward more than likely.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Those last two throws were pro throws. Whitmer's arm just isn't as strong, but he is the leader of the offense right now

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think if Boyle handed the ball off to Newsome in the 1st quarter, Arkeel wouldn't have fumbled it.
Haha. What if it was Johnnie Selvie?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Well, I'd start Boyle but for reasons different than his performance today.

If Boyle can get the offensive line to block for him, I'd be all for him starting.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I would rather lose with someone who might get better down the road. Whitmer provides nothing.
I don't think Whitmer will be the starter for the rest of season. But to my eyes he looked better today than he did weeks 1 + 2. He looked good enough to play against at least some of our AAC foes.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
junglehusky said:
I don't think Whitmer will be the starter for the rest of season. But to my eyes he looked better today than he did weeks 1 + 2. He looked good enough to play against at least some of our AAC foes.

Whitmer actually looked fine today. Boyle was okay in that last series but we did not lose this game because of Whitmer.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

And what does that do for the program?

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
junglehusky said:

He definitely looked better but he is still too quick To Bail out of the play. Would be ok if he was fast but he isn't. Toss in the weak arm and the backbreaking Ints and it's tough to watch.

Reaction Score
Garbage time or not, he looked good. He looked like he deserves more snaps. Whitmer was better than uusual but he proved once again that he is not good enough to carry an offense with an inexperienced line and stone handed WRs

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Garbage time or not, he looked good. He looked like he deserves more snaps. Whitmer was better than uusual but he proved once again that he is not good enough to carry an offense with an inexperienced line and stone handed WRs

He does have a great arm. He did do while Boise dominating Dline was on the bench.

I would like to see him continue to get a couple of series a game.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Whitmer actually looked fine today. Boyle was okay in that last series but we did not lose this game because of Whitmer.

Not by a long stretch. Whitmer is not responsible for more than 1 sack. Can't replace the OLine though. Whitmer has yet to prove that he can get through a game without a couple TOs though, so from that standpoint, there's not much upside unless Boyle just isn't going to ever start here. I don't think that's the case though. He did, at least, look a little composed today. Let's see if he's made a leap from last year.

Reaction Score
I thought Boyle looked good last year for the first half-dozen plays ... and then he didn't.

This is a process. He will get more snaps and more opportunity. If we win in the coming weeks with Whitmer, we will keep going that way (with some Boyle). If we play flat (AND Boyle shows more leadership), maybe we see Boyle for the next 3 years.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
And what does that do for the program?

If our defense continues what it's been able to do for the past 10 quarters, I think this team can win some games in conference play (plus Army) and make a run at a bowl bid. That's kind of important.

Boyle saw one series with actual defense being played and had a three and out. I have no problem with him getting meaningful snaps in the future like that and if he is able to sustain drives then I'm all for him getting more play but as the OP sarcastically implied, reading too much into the last series is just too easy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whitmer gave it his best shot. But that pick when we were coming off the stop killed us. It was everything bad about Whitmer all balled together in one play. He has to be the #2 for the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
might as well get this thread up.

This is how I see it. Is Boyle better than whitmer... Who knows. Was it garbage time? Yes. But Boyle looked competent ... I like his arm. This team is growing learning. Boyles redshirt is gone ....since it's gone might as well use him and let him grow and learn in live games .... At this point I see more positives than negatives working Boyle towards a starting role.

Reaction Score
Official receivers let Boyle down again thread is more like it. He cant throw it and catch it.

I was watching as a walked out. The drops by Thomas and Bradley were brutal. Both hit the receiver on the number in the chest, both right in the hands. Perfect touch pass to the front corner of the end zone by Boyle as well. Just sad. They were in this game the whole way. Again turnovers just killed em.

Reaction Score
If they're going to continue to lose and drop passes on offense move forward with Boyle. The experience is huge going into next season.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I didn't watch Boyle play, but I think I've been watching Whitmer for most of the last 4 seasons

I'm not really sure what more needs to be said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate