Official Start Boyle Based on Overinterpreting Garbage Time Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Official Start Boyle Based on Overinterpreting Garbage Time Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agree, too much confusion. Obi looked better last year! Could it be the new system?

Maybe. I don't know. I'm a little surprised to be honest. I thought he would really turn a page this season with proper coaching but he's gotten worse. His angles are the worst of our entire defense and it even seems like he's lost a step. He's been burned badly for easy scores in every single game this season.

Reaction Score
Whitmer was better than uusual but he proved once again that he is not good enough to carry an offense with an inexperienced line and stone handed WRs [/QUOTE said:
I guess if he could block for himself and then catch his own passes he might pass your test for being adequate enough to continue. Come on dude, what QB isn't gonna struggle with an inexperienced line and stone handed WRs?

C

Chief00

Noel Thomas' drop on the slant was worse than Bradley's in the end zone but, yeah, both were VERY catchable balls. Boyle his Thomas in the chest on a slant and Bradley had a perfectly thrown fade route that hit him in the hands. Granted, the last drive was only of interest to the degenerates out there (like me!) but UCONN should have had a garbage time TD.

In fairness to the receivers it's a huge change going mid game from Whitmer's weaker arm to Boyle's. But, yes if I was charting the game - they were definitely dropped passes.

Reaction Score
This argument was the same exact one from last year except insert CC.
How did that turn out at the end of the year?

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I agree. Boyle played two lousy series today and the few people that remained in the stadium saw the best throws of the day. It's really a no brainer.

Bull$#17

Whitmer's TD pass to Bloom was a perfectly thrown ball into coverage. He had others, but there's no point in talking about them, you obviously won't admit it.

His first pick was awful. He isn't the reason we started another game down 7-0, or the reason we were playing from behind the entire game. He certainly isn't the reason we lost.

Reaction Score
This argument was the same exact one from last year except insert CC.
How did that turn out at the end of the year?

Maybe you missed it but CC's career is done.

Also....

Tim Boyle =/= Casey Cochran

Reaction Score
I've yet to see Boyle do anything except make two passes against a prevent defense. I'm not bailing on the season (again) so we can play musical QB's and end up right back where we started. With a below average QB playing behind a horrible Oline with no running game. WTF are you backup groupies expecting to happen? Boyle has a stronger arm and MAY be more accurate but there is more to it than that.
I've seen him hit multiple receivers in the numbers, in the end zone, and he still doesn't have a TD pass. How good could he be?

Reaction Score
Maybe you missed it but CC's career is done.

Also....

Tim Boyle =/= Casey Cochran

What does that have to with it?
To make it simple for you, people were posting about how his success after being inserted at the end of games didn't mean anything last year. When he finally started, he was clearly the best, and the wish was he started sooner.
What it means is do not downgrade anybody's success in those situations, they may actually be that good.

Reaction Score
What does that have to with it?
To make it simple for you, people were posting about how his success after being inserted at the end of games didn't mean anything last year. When he finally started, he was clearly the best, and the wish was he started sooner.
What it means is do not downgrade anybody's success in those situations, they may actually be that good.

I don't know how to make it any simpler than Cochran=/=Boyle

You can't assume similar results for a different player. Is that hard to grasp?

Reaction Score
I don't know how to make it any simpler than Cochran=/=Boyle

You can't assume similar results for a different player. Is that hard to grasp?[/

First, I am the one telling you not to assume. Nice try attempting to twist that to save face.
Second, the fact that they are different people does not mean that the resulting level of play would not be the same. Can you comprehend that?

Reaction Score
The people arguing that Whitmer should remain the starter are doing it from a seat perched on top of rapidly thinning ice.

Whitmer is a decent back-up, Boyle is now the franchise.

The only sound argument for not playing Boyle would be that you think our pass protection is so bad and the season so lost that you don't want to see Boyle get hurt, every other argument is a fail. Fortunately Diaco is not someone who plays scared.

Play Boyle. He showed improvement today over last years performance and can help us win now.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The people arguing that Whitmer should remain the starter are doing it from a seat perched on top of rapidly thinning ice.

Whitmer is a decent back-up, Boyle is now the franchise.

The only sound argument for not playing Boyle would be that you think our pass protection is so bad and the season so lost that you don't want to see Boyle get hurt, every other argument is a fail. Fortunately Diaco is not someone who plays scared.

Play Boyle.

I love how you've invoked Diaco's name in your analysis that Whitmer shouldn't be the starter. Feel free to tell me what Diaco did to the Whitmer / Boyle split after Boyle's first series? When did we see him next? That should tell you everything you need to know about Diaco's thoughts on the matter.

And this is meant in no way to be a slight on Boyle. If two separate people didn't drop his passes, he has a TD today. But to think that Boyle is currently better than Whitmer is not only wrong, it's also in disagreement with Diaco's assessment as well..

Reaction Score
I love how you've invoked Diaco's name in your analysis that Whitmer shouldn't be the starter. Feel free to tell me what Diaco did to the Whitmer / Boyle split after Boyle's first series? When did we see him next? That should tell you everything you need to know about Diaco's thoughts on the matter.

And this is meant in no way to be a slight on Boyle. If two separate people didn't drop his passes, he has a TD today. But to think that Boyle is currently better than Whitmer is not only wrong, it's also in disagreement with Diaco's assessment as well..

So says the guy who insisted all off season that Whitmer was better than Cochran. Your track record on QB analysis is not very good even though you are genuinely a super fan and a worthy poster.

I'm willing to bet right now that Boyle sees his playing time increase next week, that will tell us what Diaco thinks on this issue.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So says the guy who insisted all off season that Whitmer was better than Cochran. Your track record here is not very good even though you are genuinely a super fan and a worthy poster.

I'm willing to bet right now that Boyle sees his playing time increase next week.

You're a clown.

Please show me some of my "all season" insistence that Whitmer was better than Cochran. I have consistently said, all season, that we could win with both. That we would get similar results with both. I still stand by that assessment, even though I hate that Casey will never have the chance to play again. But if you think that Boyle and Whitmer are equivalent currently, then you aren't watching the game impartially. And I'm saying that to someone who DEFINITELY has killed Whitmer on posts every chance he gets...

Reaction Score
You're a clown.

Please show me some of my "all season" insistence that Whitmer was better than Cochran. I have consistently said, all season, that we could win with both. That we would get similar results with both. I still stand by that assessment, even though I hate that Casey will never have the chance to play again. But if you think that Boyle and Whitmer are equivalent currently, then you aren't watching the game impartially. And I'm saying that to someone who DEFINITELY has killed Whitmer on posts every chance he gets...

Wow you just backtracked like a lying politician. You were not a staunch Whitmer guy all off season, you are now saying you were neutral? Give me a break Nelson.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Wow you just backtracked like a lying politician. You were not a Whitmer guy all off season? Give me a break Nelson.

This is why I'm calling you a clown. Because I think that most people on the board would tell you EXACTLY THAT. So it means that either your reading comprehension is bad, or you are just looking to pick a fight. Go back into earlier threads involving the QBs. There are plenty of them to choose from, and I'm always posting, so have at it. I have consistently said that we could win with both Whitmer and Cochran. I have consistently said that one does a better job of quick release and game management, while the other one does a better job with his feet and on the long ball. I have never wavered in that assessment. So go look for a fight somewhere else...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'll save Metsfan the trouble of looking one up. Here is my direct quote from a thread titled "Whitmer Supporters", page 2:

"I'm a Whitmer supporter.
I'm a Whitmer supporter primarily because I'm a UConn supporter. It never ceases to amaze me how many UConn supporters behave in a fashion that doesn't support UConn. I'm also a Cochran supporter, for full disclosure. And there would be no way in hell that I would support playing Cochran if he had a concussion today, no matter how bad of a game Whitmer had. And giving Boyle an extra year separation from Cochran is the right thing to do.
Now, if people really want something to chew on, I want to know how on earth our team averaged 2.2 yard per carry and 88 total yards on the ground against an FCS team. Answer that question, and then we will have identified the biggest issue in my mind..."

Notice how I talk about being a Cochran supporter as well, along with the fact that at the time, I was looking to give Boyle an extra year of separation from....COCHRAN! Uggh...

Reaction Score
1st throw was a mistake and Geremy bailed him out. If Geremy didn't redirect his route that was a pick. The second throw was good.

Yeah, when Whitmer pointed to the sideline before he threw the ball, he wasn't telling Geremy Davis where to go, he was telling Diaco he was on his way to discuss dinner plans with him.

A mistake? LMAO

Reaction Score

He had opportunities to make plays and didn't make them. He's not good enough to overcome the teams weaknesses. These guys aren't perfect but they are good enough to win some games if they had a game changing/play making QB. Whitmer is the type of QB that needs everyone around him to be good for him to be good. Some QBs can simply make plays when their team needs them. That is not him. He's not going to fit a throw in between 2 defenders when we need a TD like Boise's QB did. He's not going to make plays with his legs when we need them like BYU's QB. He's not a play maker. He's a guy that needs everything to go right on a play for him to make something happen.

This post is supposed to in response to weyuo but the quote didn't work for some reason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We can beat USF with Whitmer at QB. Let's not screw around next week.

Sadly I disagree. I don't think he can win games. He will throw a pick or get sacked when we need a play. He's been doing just that for 3 years.

Reaction Score
Whitmer made a lot of nice throws today. I actually think he handled the pressure very well. He also made some great decisions getting rid of the ball and he had a few good runs. We've seen him play pretty well and then have some killer picks at the absolutely worst time. He did it again today. He does enough to keep his job but not enough to cement it. I think the leash is getting shorter and he will need to put a complete game together (hitting open receivers and no bad pick) or Boyle will become a viable option. Leading the team to wins changes all of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom