Official Start Boyle Based on Overinterpreting Garbage Time Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Official Start Boyle Based on Overinterpreting Garbage Time Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
whitmer doesn't have a pocket presence... there are times he can't do anything because the rush is there right when he gets the ball. But there are some plays where stepping up into the pocket is instinctual and he doesn't have that. That was a huge difference between Whitmer and Casey. It's also a big reason he get's sacked so much more... it's not all the O-Line.

If you're a shorter QB you'd better be able to move well and instinctively. Otherwise you're fighting to see the field as well as get the ball in on time and with a decent trajectory. Add those things up with a less than rocket arm and shaky OL and you pretty much get the challenges that Whitmer faces. Some can be mitigated but some are just baseline limitations you have to factor in to your expectations of what it means to stay the course. I think we'll see increasing doses of Boyle but one little ding to CW and he takes over.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He couldn't beat Towson.

You honestly have to be a secret troll.

The things you post on here sometimes are just so transparent that you want to get a rise out of people.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You honestly have to be a secret troll.

The things you post on here sometimes are just so transparent that you want to get a rise out of people.

It's no secret.

Reaction Score
Here's my take, I could not understand why Diaco would bring in a green QB when Whitmer was moving the offense. We all saw how that turned out. I question why Diaco chose that time to bring Boyle in. Next I question why Diaco doesn't bring Boyle back until garbage time. I disagreed fervidly with Diaco's decision when I saw Boyle come on the field, but once the decision was made to burn his red shirt and send him to the wolves, why not just stand by that strategy? It was obvious Boyle was nervous his first time out. With that first series in the books, perhaps he comes back more composed the next time. Diaco's decision making has been questionable and inconsistent. Was Diaco's game plan to win or get ready for conference play? I'm not sure. Seems however that he had a change of mind, saw we could win with Whitmer, saw how the fans were electrified by what we saw on the field and then there after the Boyle experiment was shelved.

All of us were excited and then disappointed once again by Whitmer. I am not surprised to see here so many posts ripping Whitmer's pockets presence, footwork, speed, arm strength, blah, blah and more blah. If not for that interception, I believe Whitmer would have reaped more Boneyard praises than not. Kind of reminds me of how some mouthed off about Kevin Ollie and some of the players when our MBB went through a rough period last year. I so much want to see Whitmer continue to improve along with the rest of the offense. I think he gives us the best chance to win. There is still plenty of time to bring in Boyle once it becomes clear we no longer have a chance to go bowling. Until then, for games going forward I hope that we will not see Boyle until the game is either in hand or hopeless. Otherwise, if Diaco is going to bring Boyle in when the game is still undecided, then freaking be consistent about it.

Diaco's decision to burn Boyle's red shirt in the manner that it was, and then failing to follow through with what ever he was thinking, shows me that we will not only have to have patience with our player development, but also with Diaco's head coaching development. I love coach Diaco. He will do better, just as will the rest of this team.

Sorry for the long post. I don't post much because I don't think I can add to all the wonderful insight I get here. I do spend a lot of time reading though. Thanks every for making the Boneyard what is. Even you, NelsonMuntz.

Reaction Score
I think we're going to see a gradual transition to Boyle over the course of the season, if not, over the next few games. Though Boyle looks to have improved (though his success was with no pass rush), he's still young and would benefit from being phased into the starter's role. Diaco realizes he has talent, but doesn't want to put all the pressure of starting on him right away. Whitmer is also playing better. He made some nice throws and used better judgment overall. No solution is perfect right now...not with the OL that we have. Diaco will manage to get Boyle in w/o eroding his confidence.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Here's my take, I could not understand why Diaco would bring in a green QB when Whitmer was moving the offense. We all saw how that turned out. I question why Diaco chose that time to bring Boyle in. Next I question why Diaco doesn't bring Boyle back until garbage time. I disagreed fervidly with Diaco's decision when I saw Boyle come on the field, but once the decision was made to burn his red shirt and send him to the wolves, why not just stand by that strategy? It was obvious Boyle was nervous his first time out. With that first series in the books, perhaps he comes back more composed the next time. Diaco's decision making has been questionable and inconsistent. Was Diaco's game plan to win or get ready for conference play? I'm not sure. Seems however that he had a change of mind, saw we could win with Whitmer, saw how the fans were electrified by what we saw on the field and then there after the Boyle experiment was shelved.

Disagree with you on this point - Boyle's redshirt was history when Cochran went down. It was not a decision made in the game. If he's the #2, he has to get some snaps. You have to manage that with flow of the game and his first half series was disruptive but he has to play some.

I so much want to see Whitmer continue to improve along with the rest of the offense. I think he gives us the best chance to win. There is still plenty of time to bring in Boyle once it becomes clear we no longer have a chance to go bowling. Until then, for games going forward I hope that we will not see Boyle until the game is either in hand or hopeless.

Avoid stupid mistakes and we can win with either -- we just haven't been able to do that much. We have a stretch of schedule coming up that Whitmer should be able to handle but Boyle will get more reps. Barring injury, if Boyle takes over it'll be because CW played his way out of the line up. I hope that doesn't happen.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think we're going to see a gradual transition to Boyle over the course of the season, if not, over the next few games. Though Boyle looks to have improved (though his success was with no pass rush), he's still young and would benefit from being phased into the starter's role. Diaco realizes he has talent, but doesn't want to put all the pressure of starting on him right away. Whitmer is also playing better. He made some nice throws and used better judgment overall. No solution is perfect right now...not with the OL that we have. Diaco will manage to get Boyle in w/o eroding his confidence.
Nicely put.

Boyle will most likely get some series in the next two games. But for him to be named the starter, I would hope he'll have to beat Whitmer for the job. He won't be handed the job only because of his arm, or only because Whitmer throws a pick here or there. If Whitmer is really struggling he'll get pulled. If Boyle can prepare and take the job away from him, he'll get more snaps. I hope it's the latter and not the former.

Reaction Score
It's not complicated...

1) Boyle aside, what has Whitmer done to convincingly prove he should start from here on out?

2) Boyle after this year has exhausted half his playing eligibility. If he is the qb of the future then he needs to play and play often. We don't need another qb controversy going into next year. He has the arm... It's an obvious difference from Whitmer. What he probably lacks at this point is having as much of a leadership presence and the ability to read /identify the coverages consistently at game speed. Those things come with playing time.

3) Boyle will not start USF an perhaps the first half of the season.. But I hope Diaco's goal is to ease/transition Boyle with more and more playing time with the idea that he will eventually be rewarded the starting position (when he starts to get hot).... This IMO is a better approach than the into the inferno approach from last year. It was a prevent d and just one play but Boyles touch on the screen is an example of his growth from last year where those passes had been high or thrown like a bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom