Official Start Boyle Based on Overinterpreting Garbage Time Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Official Start Boyle Based on Overinterpreting Garbage Time Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love how you've invoked Diaco's name in your analysis that Whitmer shouldn't be the starter. Feel free to tell me what Diaco did to the Whitmer / Boyle split after Boyle's first series? When did we see him next? That should tell you everything you need to know about Diaco's thoughts on the matter.

Hmmm, from Fuller's post game report:

"Diaco went out of his way to rave about what he saw from Tim Boyle. "

I agree with Diaco, I really liked what I saw from Boyle too. Play the franchise.

Reaction Score
I love how you've invoked Diaco's name in your analysis that Whitmer shouldn't be the starter. Feel free to tell me what Diaco did to the Whitmer / Boyle split after Boyle's first series? When did we see him next? That should tell you everything you need to know about Diaco's thoughts on the matter.

And this is meant in no way to be a slight on Boyle. If two separate people didn't drop his passes, he has a TD today. But to think that Boyle is currently better than Whitmer is not only wrong, it's also in disagreement with Diaco's assessment as well..

Totally disagree with your assessment of what went down. Diaco bailed on his script which was totally inappropriate for the situation. Putting Tim in at that time was a mistake and putting him in to throw a couple of dink passes was a joke. Realizing the silliness of what happened they reversed course and bailed on any pretense of using Tim in a close game even when his arm could have been an asset. They screwed up and got cold feet. Scripts are great on Broadway but not so great on Saturdays.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
metsfan2323 said:
The people arguing that Whitmer should remain the starter are doing it from a seat perched on top of rapidly thinning ice.

Whitmer is a decent back-up, Boyle is now the franchise.

The only sound argument for not playing Boyle would be that you think our pass protection is so bad and the season so lost that you don't want to see Boyle get hurt, every other argument is a fail. Fortunately Diaco is not someone who plays scared.

Play Boyle. He showed improvement today over last years performance and can help us win now.

How many passes did he complete today?

Reaction Score
You guys will get your shot at seeing TB vs USF. They appear to have a horrible defense. I expect to see TB run a few series in the first half.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think Whitmer gives us a better shot to win this season despite his shortcomings, I.e. throwing picks in critical spots in close games.

I thought Boyle made some nice throws today but I'm not sure if I'm ready to hand him the keys.

I think the staff has to weigh if the incremental difference in CW to TB is worth 1,2,3, etc wins and how much game action would benefit TB for next season.

I'm in the camp that says we NEED to get back to bowling, so if the staff thinks CW gets us an extra win, then we have to roll the dice with him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hey playing Boyle makes all the sense in the world. 2016 is right around the corner. Who cares about next week.

Plus it's great to have the first pick in the draft.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I've yet to see Boyle do anything except make two passes against a prevent defense. I'm not bailing on the season (again) so we can play musical QB's and end up right back where we started. With a below average QB playing behind a horrible Oline with no running game. WTF are you backup groupies expecting to happen? Boyle has a stronger arm and MAY be more accurate but there is more to it than that.

What have you seen from Whitmer that says he will lead UCONN to a bowl game? Tell me that

Reaction Score
Now that you've burned his redshirt, you might as well give him all the reps and experience you can. Whitmer is gone after this season regardless. Boyle is the future of this program.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Hmmm, from Fuller's post game report:

"Diaco went out of his way to rave about what he saw from Tim Boyle. "

I agree with Diaco, I really liked what I saw from Boyle too. Play the franchise.

Which is why he waited to play him until the final moments of the game. Good point...

Reaction Score
Whitmer is the fastest guy to run into traffic...after one look, it's tuck and run time right into a defender. It's Boyle time but he needs to take notes from Casey about pocket awareness.

Reaction Score
Obi was horrendous today. The first Boise TD was 150% on him. #2 was jogging open from the 20 yard on in. The pass interference call on him in the 2nd half was equally bad. His pursuit angles have gotten worse, not better. I like what I see from Summers (good in run support too). Need to make a change back there I think.

I believe it would be Marder for Obi. I have no idea what happened to him. His mistakes are many and can be huge.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Those last two throws were pro throws. Whitmer's arm just isn't as strong, but he is the leader of the offense right now
I don't think that any QB we've had since 2005 had the arm (combination of both strength and accuracy) Boyle has. The kid has all of the tools.

Reaction Score
Is someone really arguing that because Whitmer hit his quota of two good passes a game that is enough for him to be the starter and for UConn to win?

Reaction Score
I think Whitmer gives us a better shot to win this season despite his shortcomings, I.e. throwing picks in critical spots in close games.

I thought Boyle made some nice throws today but I'm not sure if I'm ready to hand him the keys.

I think the staff has to weigh if the incremental difference in CW to TB is worth 1,2,3, etc wins and how much game action would benefit TB for next season.

I'm in the camp that says we NEED to get back to bowling, so if the staff thinks CW gets us an extra win, then we have to roll the dice with him.

He couldn't beat Towson.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree, too much confusion. Obi looked better last year! Could it be the new system?

I believe that it has a lot to do with the comfort level our DB's have with the new system. On the TD in question he had to (due to numbers) cover the receiver but once he bit on the play action (he should not have been peeking in that situation) it was over.

Reaction Score
There's just something robotic about Boyle's movements that throws me for a loop. Kinda like saying "that hot girl has lumpy knees, would not date" but hey.

Reaction Score
ESPN showed highlights of the game and mentioned that the team played well other than the TO's.

They then made a reference to the dropped TD at the end of the 4th quarter which they thought might be of interest to certain people.

Whaler, I think they were talking to you...
There's just something robotic about Boyle's movements that throws me for a loop. Kinda like saying "that hot girl has lumpy knees, would not date" but hey.

I also see that in Whitmer. There is a lot to do and remember but once you get out there they need to relax and let it rip. Someday UCONN will get to the place of imposing their will on opponents.

Reaction Score
Ok guys I'm new here. So be gentile. I'm gonna give you one reason why he shouldn't get a lot of reps this year. It has been mentioned a few times in different threads. The O line. He is our quarterback of the future. Of the 3 quarterbacks he has the most raw talent. You don't want to get him killed or a string of concussions before the oline and the rest of the team has a chance to mature and get better. Let him watch and learn and get the occasional snap.
Be Gentile???? :confused:

Reaction Score
Ok guys I'm new here. So be gentile. I'm gonna give you one reason why he shouldn't get a lot of reps this year. It has been mentioned a few times in different threads. The O line. He is our quarterback of the future. Of the 3 quarterbacks he has the most raw talent. You don't want to get him killed or a string of concussions before the oline and the rest of the team has a chance to mature and get better. Let him watch and learn and get the occasional snap.
ok...
Boyle, it's your last home game playing here at Uconn. We think it's time to name you as starter and get your career off on the right foot,

Reaction Score
Whitmers problem is what they have always been. The slightest pressure or sign of the pocket being pushed back and he takes his eyes off the receivers down filed, looks down at the rush. He also locked in on receivers on both the Davis touchdown and int to foxx. He does have a ton of heart. Gets up after every hit and doesn't appear to point fingers at the ol.
whitmer doesn't have a pocket presence... there are times he can't do anything because the rush is there right when he gets the ball. But there are some plays where stepping up into the pocket is instinctual and he doesn't have that. That was a huge difference between Whitmer and Casey. It's also a big reason he get's sacked so much more... it's not all the O-Line.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Play Boyle. He showed improvement today over last years performance and can help us win now.

Boyle threw a couple of nice passes in garbage time with no pressure. The one series that counted he did nothing. But we need to play Boyle because Whitmer can't get it done.

Reaction Score
Boyle threw a couple of nice passes in garbage time with no pressure. The one series that counted he did nothing. But we need to play Boyle because Whitmer can't get it done.

For me it was Boyle's footwork yesterday that sold me. Last year his footwork was a mess and that contributed to accuracy issues, yesterday his footwork was perfection and so was his accuracy (kudos to Patterson) I don't understand why any UCONN wouldn't want to see more of Boyle, the guys talent level is off the charts and he is clearly the future of this program.

Danny O made a huge jump in performance from freshman to sophomore year, Don't you want to find out if Boyle has made the same jump? I do.

More Boyle please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member