Odell to Cleveland | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Odell to Cleveland

Reaction Score
From ESPN:

Let's look at two scenarios. Scenario 1 is what would have happened if they hadn't given him a long-term deal and franchised him for 2019. (Remember, the Giants didn't use their franchise tag this offseason.) Scenario 2 is what actually happened.
  • Scenario 1: $8.5 million paid to Beckham in cash, $8.5 million on the Giants' 2019 cap, $0 in dead money on the 2019 cap
  • Scenario 2: $21.5 million paid to Beckham in cash, $5.5 million on the Giants' 2019 cap, $16 million in dead money on the 2019 cap
That's not a typo. Because Gettleman (or ownership) temporarily decided to keep Beckham around, the Giants paid an extra $13 million out of their coffers and will eat $16 million in dead money on this year's cap for the privilege of doing so.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Really confusing strategy by the Giants the last 6 months.

a) If OBJ wasn't in the long term plans, why sign him to the extension?
b) If a rebuild (partial or full) was in sight, why take Barkley over one of the QB's? You just threw the first 4 years of Barkley's production in the trash can - assuming he doesn't blow a knee out at some point too.
c) With the picks they have lined up, they absolutely HAVE to go get Josh Rosen, right? He's pretty much a free QB.

I think Gettleman and ownership became smitten with the idea of Beckham, Engram, Barkley and Sheppard on the field together as a means to salvage the pieces already in place. It failed hard right out of the gate with a 1-7 start resulting in Odell reverting to his usual "me" persona. There was a plan last year and it failed. Now Gettleman has moved to plan B.....blow up the team....which pretty much started with the Eli Apple trade last fall.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
On B...that's just a complete misread by Gettleman - dude thought the Giants were able to compete last year which is why he went all in with Barkley, traded for Ogletree, and signed Solder to a record contract for an LT. Halfway through the season he started trading away pieces once realizing it wasn't going to happen.

Part of me actually finds it refreshing that an organization would so quickly realize they misread a situation completely and then go the opposite way by trading away pieces and rebuilding. It's important that the Giants finally realized this was the case.

What I have an issue is that the same guy who so badly misread the situation, is the same guy we're entrusting the next decade of our franchise to?

Since we can't change the past, I would do the following:

1) Trade the 2nd round pick for Rosen. I pretty much think most young QBs are a toss up, but we need to hitch our wagon to one of them. Sticking with Eli just delays the inevitable.

2) Take a pass rusher at #6, and then BPA with the other first round pick, be it a OL, EDGE, or CB.

3) Go crazy with the 1829 picks we have and take primarily defensive players.

I'd do that - but I have no faith in Gettleman, Mara or Shurmur to execute.

Reaction Score
Part of me actually finds it refreshing that an organization would so quickly realize they misread a situation completely and then go the opposite way by trading away pieces and rebuilding. It's important that the Giants finally realized this was the case.

What I have an issue is that the same guy who so badly misread the situation, is the same guy we're entrusting the next decade of our franchise to?

Since we can't change the past, I would do the following:

1) Trade the 2nd round pick for Rosen. I pretty much think most young QBs are a toss up, but we need to hitch our wagon to one of them. Sticking with Eli just delays the inevitable.

2) Take a pass rusher at #6, and then BPA with the other first round pick, be it a OL, EDGE, or CB.

3) Go crazy with the 1829 picks we have and take primarily defensive players.

I'd do that - but I have no faith in Gettleman, Mara or Shurmur to execute.
I like that plan, but like you, I don't see them putting something like that together.

Fully prepared to be letdown:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh god. What in the world could that possibly mean.

At least Leveon Bell is off the market. Wouldn't want Gettleman trying to recreate the Pony Express back there.

Thunder and Lightning!

This is actually Edsall’s plan but it’s Thunder and Thunder.

Reaction Score
Really confusing strategy by the Giants the last 6 months.

a) If OBJ wasn't in the long term plans, why sign him to the extension?
b) If a rebuild (partial or full) was in sight, why take Barkley over one of the QB's? You just threw the first 4 years of Barkley's production in the trash can - assuming he doesn't blow a knee out at some point too.
c) With the picks they have lined up, they absolutely HAVE to go get Josh Rosen, right? He's pretty much a free QB.

A & B was a reaction to them thinking they could win last year. One more ride with Eli.

I agree with C, if you can get for a 3rd rounder why not roll dice with Rosen.

Reaction Score
In the same post you say the Giants management, GM and Coach are clueless, but then also use their judgement in justification of trading OBJ?

The locker room apparently loved him, but you'd rather Mara, Gettleman and Shurmur be the judge? I can't think of 3 more out of touch individuals.

Hold on for a moment. Is Beckham not impossible to deal with? This isn’t fantasy football. The guy was impossible and all he did was create distractions.

The fight with josh Norman. The fire hydrant dance, interviews off the books. Instagram model with drugs in background, taking shots at the QB. It was insane the amount of media and controversy he creates.

Giants were going to lose this year. Beckham would have demanded trade by end of next season after sitting out final four games with a hamstring injury.

Reaction Score
From ESPN:

Let's look at two scenarios. Scenario 1 is what would have happened if they hadn't given him a long-term deal and franchised him for 2019. (Remember, the Giants didn't use their franchise tag this offseason.) Scenario 2 is what actually happened.
  • Scenario 1: $8.5 million paid to Beckham in cash, $8.5 million on the Giants' 2019 cap, $0 in dead money on the 2019 cap
  • Scenario 2: $21.5 million paid to Beckham in cash, $5.5 million on the Giants' 2019 cap, $16 million in dead money on the 2019 cap
That's not a typo. Because Gettleman (or ownership) temporarily decided to keep Beckham around, the Giants paid an extra $13 million out of their coffers and will eat $16 million in dead money on this year's cap for the privilege of doing so.

Problem with Barnwell is he acts like Beckham’s
Personality had nothing to do with this.

It is insane from a football point, but Giants had enough. You don’t think they know what it meant to do this? They did it anyway.

This is a team that dealt with Plaxico and Jeremy Shockey and couldn’t really handle OBJ. I hope he matures. A really great talent.

They lost a year and a ton of money with this move.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hold on for a moment. Is Beckham not impossible to deal with? This isn’t fantasy football. The guy was impossible and all he did was create distractions.

The fight with josh Norman. The fire hydrant dance, interviews off the books. Instagram model with drugs in background, taking shots at the QB. It was insane the amount of media and controversy he creates.

Giants were going to lose this year. Beckham would have demanded trade by end of next season after sitting out final four games with a hamstring injury.

Did all of these issues pop up in the last 6 months?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

never will i understand how they didn’t cut bait when the instagram drug posts hit.

Reaction Score
Problem with Barnwell is he acts like Beckham’s
Personality had nothing to do with this.

It is insane from a football point, but Giants had enough. You don’t think they know what it meant to do this? They did it anyway.

This is a team that dealt with Plaxico and Jeremy Shockey and couldn’t really handle OBJ. I hope he matures. A really great talent.

They lost a year and a ton of money with this move.
I don't mind getting rid of OBJ. I just think it was handled poorly and that they didn't get a good enough return for him. If that 3rd was a 2nd or if we got a future first instead if peppers and a third, I would've been happier with the trade.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
<----And it really just all comes down to this. No way around it. This is where the Giants and Odell were destine to be come November 2019. The trade was to head of inevitable disaster.

Reaction Score
Oh god. What in the world could that possibly mean.

At least Leveon Bell is off the market. Wouldn't want Gettleman trying to recreate the Pony Express back there.
The only big FA I can think of who I'd be OK with this being is Daryl Williams. I'd still like to see them sign him if they can get him for around $10M a year

Reaction Score
<----And it really just all comes down to this. No way around it. This is where the Giants and Odell were destine to be come November 2019. The trade was to head of inevitable disaster.
What happened with AB had to be in their mind. They're probably thinking they won by getting a 1st and 3rd instead of a 3rd and 5th a year from now

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Impossible to deal with, per who? The out of touch owner, media, or the GM/HC who have accomplished what exactly? By all accounts he was well liked in the locker room - that's what should really count.

I think OBJ is nuts, but he's a generational talent. To me that's worth dealing with some "media" distractions for the on field play.

Reaction Score
The only big FA I can think of who I'd be OK with this being is Daryl Williams. I'd still like to see them sign him if they can get him for around $10M a year
Yes if we shore up the line then it makes sense but any other position is nuts. Even spending like crazy on a RT makes less sense now with pick #17 unless they're packaging a deal to go to #1 to take Kyler Murray

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What happened with AB had to be in their mind. They're probably thinking they won by getting a 1st and 3rd instead of a 3rd and 5th a year from now

Maybe. But AB is 4 years older, literally decided to not play in the teams playoff game and was feuding with teammates.

Aside from both playing the same position, I don't see the parallel.

Reaction Score
Impossible to deal with, per who? The out of touch owner, media, or the GM/HC who have accomplished what exactly? By all accounts he was well liked in the locker room - that's what should really count.

I think OBJ is nuts, but he's a generational talent. To me that's worth dealing with some "media" distractions for the on field play.
A lot of people don't give him enough credit for his on field play. And it's only because they dont like him. He's the best receiver in the league. I don't care what anyone else says. I'll be watching as many browns games as I can this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom