October Recruiting Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
]]p

I don't see UCONN in running a long shot at best, an ok shot but a dark horse. Only because I'm assuming as mentioned before family tradition and Educational rep is a heavy consideration. I think she knows where she wants to go and that list to me was just a smokescreen. I see her pick at two extremes the obvious( Stanford, or an Ivy- I would say Princeton they're the best Ivy for wbb ) or unbelievable (as in didn't see that coming.) But she did say in an interview that she wants to win a championship and maybe play in the WNBA. I guess we'll find out soon.
Kiki Rice Interview Source wjla.com-by Scott Abraham ABC7
Maybe the fact that we have approximately 10 games on readily available National Networks might be attractive in comparison to Stanford being locked behind the PAC12 Network Iron curtain. Heck, I had forgotten Haley Jones played for Stanford until the FF. :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There are so many elite players coming into the college ranks in the next 3 classes. You can’t get them all. All you can hope for is maybe 1 or 2 of the top 8 players from these classes. We’ve been doing pretty good lately. Let’s hope this trend continues.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Before we all hang our heads in defeat, let me just point out that these two guys know no more than the BY does when it comes to Rice. In fact, they probably know less. The moderator admits several times to information on Rice’s recruitment being, “foggy.” He also doesn’t know the 3rd school she has visited. One of the reasons for this is that unlike some HS recruits, Rice doesn’t post everything she does on Twitter & Instagram.

Finally, he makes the case for Rice to Stanford based on all the young guards at UConn, and goes on to list Paige, Azzi & Caroline. What he fails to mention, and perhaps isn’t aware of, is that Stanford’s incoming freshman class includes 4 guards, and they’re all pretty good.

I’m not giving up on Rice to UConn just yet, and I strongly suspect that Geno hasn’t given up yet either.
Secretly praying and hoping. What a feather in Uconn's cap that would be .

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
I see Stanford potentially ahead of us, but not Duke but who knows. Obviously both of those schools meet the academic criteria, but I think I heard Kiki say in one video she wants to be with a program that is competing for a national championship "every" year. If that is truly a must have, then many of her 11 schools would seem to fall short. Duke for example is a good and possibly great program in the future, but would they be a real contender in 22/23? Stanford though with Jones, Brink and Betts obviously could be with the academics.

I think another factor is if she sees herself as a pure point guard, we probably are a long-shot because of Paige and Nika. If she views herself as a swiss army knife (a little like Evina) that could play three positions in college and the pros, then Uconn's chances would appear much better.

Hope we hear soon that she is attending first night.
Agreed. That's the sticking point the academic rep. We definitely qualify on Championships. I don't like when some pooh pooh Uconn academics though. I recently did a post on it on the football forum. It really has some good Academics in Medicine, Nursing, the Business program has the prestigious AACSB cred and Their Digital Media and Engineering is good too. Plus UCONN holds the #23 spot (w\ Penn State & Rutgers) as a top public uni and #63 Nationally. So UCONN is not slouchy in the academics granted its not Ivy or Stanford. But our ladies have represented in high profile jobs in Business, broadcasting and the NBA. Just saying.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Maybe the fact that we have approximately 10 games on readily available National Networks might be attractive in comparison to Stanford being locked behind the PAC12 Network Iron curtain. Heck, I had forgotten Haley Jones played for Stanford until the FF. :rolleyes:
I thought about that too. That some of the league networks don't really do their athletes any favors. This could weigh more heavily in the age of NIL. Good point.

Reaction Score
Before we all hang our heads in defeat, let me just point out that these two guys know no more than the BY does when it comes to Rice. In fact, they probably know less. The moderator admits several times to information on Rice’s recruitment being, “foggy.” He also doesn’t know the 3rd school she has visited. One of the reasons for this is that unlike some HS recruits, Rice doesn’t post everything she does on Twitter & Instagram.

Finally, he makes the case for Rice to Stanford based on all the young guards at UConn, and goes on to list Paige, Azzi & Caroline. What he fails to mention, and perhaps isn’t aware of, is that Stanford’s incoming freshman class includes 4 guards, and they’re all pretty good.

I’m not giving up on Rice to UConn just yet, and I strongly suspect that Geno hasn’t given up yet either.

If she is good then Duke would tell her that she'd be "returning a once great program into national prominence" .and Duke needs one of those uber-elite signees. It would also put her within driving distance of the DC area.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If she is good then Duke would tell her that she'd be "returning a once great program into national prominence" .and Duke needs one of those uber-elite signees. It would also put her within driving distance of the DC area.
Every school will make their case. UConn’s case is pretty darn good.

Reaction Score
So Stanford did pick up a top 75 point guard in the 22 class. Is this an insurance policy if Kiki Rice doesn't come or do they know she isn't coming?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Wooten 150 camp just took place. Jason Key with some standouts.

UConn POI: Cunningham, Kitts, McGill, Avant-Roberts

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Also from the Wooten 150 camp: Cunningham, Avant-Roberts, McGill

Breya Cunningham 6-3 Post California – Overall MVP – She gets 2 of my take aways because she’s that good. We talk about impactful transcendent players and she’s what we talk about. Someone who was a pro walking into the gym. Yup, she was really good. 6-3 great size, hands, and feet extremely active with a good motor – someone who knows she’s good and just keeps getting better and giving effort when she doesn’t have to. She’s my overall MVP

Quick Take 11 – 2024 MVP Tajianna Avant-Roberts – California – Big time athlete who can score the ball and leader her team a lot of 2024’s had trouble exerting their personality over older players to get reps with the ball but Roberts did just that looking like an elder player at a camp where she was one of the youngest players. Obvious why we have her in our Top 10 in 2024 look for her to be a future pro and star in the game as the 2024 class continues to move forward.

2024 MVP Runner Up – Alivia McGill, Mikayla Blakes & Lexi Blue

Reaction Score

"Sober" look? These guys are just offering an opinion.

The opinion at least for one of them runs contrary to the near many players that have always come to UCONN.

Schools on her list are great choices as is UCONN. I have no idea if UCONN is behind or up on any of them and all opinions welcome (and it's great they set up a forum to discuss. Any discussion is good.). But while one of the guys stated he would go to Stanford, if I were recommending, I would push for UCONN.

If you are a player and make mention of National Championships, and of the WNBA,; well every year, even in UCONN's worst years in the last 15-plus, unlike any other program throughout the Nation, UCONN is playing in the final week of the season for A National Championship. And if we're talking WNBA; what did we just see in the Olympics? And what have we seen over the years of even non-Olympians - the number of UCONN players in the league?

In addition, while UCONN hasn’t won it all for about 5 years, in 2 of the last 3, UCONN still had WNBA Rookie of the Year. And oh, by the way, one was a point guard.

So to sum it up: UCONN is a fine educational school, that is in the hunt for National Titles year-over-year more than any other school in the country, and that puts more players in the WNBA more than nay other and has more Olympians than any other. For me, looking at this in terms of WCBB (and not Men's College Basketball in which one-and-done is prevalent for super-prime recruits) that school from Storrs, would be number 1.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just don't think people are keeping it real with Stanford's chance of landing Rice. This talk of Stanford bringing in 4 guards in the 21 class is also not correct because Demetre although listed as a guard on the roster is not a guard. Rice is a day one starter at the PG position if she picks Stanford. Stanford would have Prechtel, Brink, Belibi Jones and Rice as starters. That is 4 starters that have Championship experience. Plus Betts, Iriafen and Demetre coming off the bench.
Betts remains number 1 in the 2023 class and Iriafen and Demetre. were top 10 players in class of 2021 before dropping into teens in the final rankings.
That's quite the squad for anyone to beat and the UCONN front court would have to dramatically improve to match up. A back court matchup of Jones and Rice vs Bueckers and Fudd is also very close because Rice is the best defender among the 4. I hope Rice picks UCONN but I've always been worried that she might pick Stanford.

Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think Rice will pick to UCONN. I'm guessing she will go to Duke this weekend and end up at Uconn for her final visit which is the weekend of First Night festivities. The good guys will seal the deal.

My inside source? Women's intuition ;)

Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think Rice will pick to UCONN. I'm guessing she will go to Duke this weekend and end up at Uconn for her final visit which is the weekend of First Night festivities. The good guys will seal the deal.

As good a source as any, maybe better...

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So Stanford did pick up a top 75 point guard in the 22 class. Is this an insurance policy if Kiki Rice doesn't come or do they know she isn't coming?
More connected Stanford fans can confirm this but I'm fairly certain Tara always tries to fill her roster and use up the scholarships every season if she can. I think she doesn't like to let a chance at a free education go to waste. I think this would put them at 12 for next year (potentially 11, since Jenna Brown is a RS-Junior and could graduate).

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

Its a shame that fans other than students cannot attend First Night. Recruits are always impressed with the attendance and craziness of the fans at this event, and are in awe that this many fans would show up at a non-game situation. If KiKi loves fan adoration as Paige does, this could likely seal the deal.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
More connected Stanford fans can confirm this but I'm fairly certain Tara always tries to fill her roster and use up the scholarships every season if she can. I think she doesn't like to let a chance at a free education go to waste. I think this would put them at 12 for next year (potentially 11, since Jenna Brown is a RS-Junior and could graduate).
All of Stanford’s 15 WBB scholarships are endowed by well-healed alumni. Tara does her best to fill every single one. For this coming year Stanford has 17 players on the roster. I don’t know if that means 2 are non-scholarship players or if Stanford has a temporary increase in scholarships due to the pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom