October Recruiting Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford roster size is not a concern now nor will it ever be, in neither quality or quantity, as it pertains to the potential addition of Kiki Rice. Stanford's philosophy is to let their graduates get on with life and this year's team has 6 players that are either seniors (2X), Redshirt Junior, a graduate student, a fifth year student & and a 6th year student. Projected Stanford roster size at the start of the '22 season is only between 12 or 13 depending on Brown and Rice's decision.
Kiki Rice is a day starter at any of the 11 schools on her list the only possible exception being UCONN and Louisville.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A couple of items here:

We often hear that opposing coaches may mention Geno's age in terms of recruiting.
I would expect that they would have enough sense to do it in a respectful way...some might not...to their own
disadvantage I hope. Well...Geno is 67...Tara is.....68.

Somewhere I read here that the Duke women's program is 'great'. They sure have been
'excellent' over the years...but it would seem to me that to be 'great' you would need to have won a National Championship...at least one... in the 40 or so years there has been that competition. Have they?
The answer is 'no'. Duke's men program is great...the women not.

Reaction Score
Something that troubles me in these discussions:
If I’m one of the top ranked talents in the nation
(agreed, totally subjective), shouldn’t my mind set be “I’m going to report to the college of choice and SEIZE my position and playing time, not WAIT MY TURN?
Where does it say I have to wait?
I play myself onto the court.
I play myself off.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
(agreed, totally subjective), shouldn’t my mind set be “I’m going to report to the college of choice and SEIZE my position and playing time, not WAIT MY TURN?
I play myself off.
I'm not sure why that would be "troubling" or which post/opinions have been contrary to the mind set of a highly regarded recruit "playing their way onto the floor". Kiki Rice has the potential to play 3 different positions for UCONN-same as Evina Westbrook. Rice will play a lot for UCONN, she would start and play a lot more for just about everyone else. Her stated goals are to be in championship contention every season, to be in an environment where the basketball standards are very high and demanding which prepares you for the next level (WNBA) and an education that prepares you for success beyond basketball. She can get all three from UCONN and as much as I hate to admit it she can also get all three from Stanford.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Please.
You know the point I’m making.
“I’m here now, they gotta worry about THEIR playing time”.
That should be the mind set.
Actually I'd didn't know the point you were making.
The confusing part was this sentence: "Where does it say I have to wait?"
I now realize that may have been one of them rhetorical questions and hopefully you realize that such questions can be confusing on a message board as it appears you were having a conversation with yourself. BTW I happen to agree with you and have said as much in these terms: As long as Paige and Azzi are on the UCONN roster it is going to take other Alphas to push them. Kiki Rice is an Alpha.

Reaction Score
I play myself off.
Unfortunately, the most obvious thing learned from the general chaos of the transfer portal is that everyone expects minutes no matter the circumstances or how good the players ahead of them are. Kiki is often described as 'mature beyond her years' by coaches so while I think she could potentially be patient on the bench at first you can't just do what Geno sometimes has done in the past and expect her to wait there until her Junior season. I'd love to see him rotate players early and often given the depth of this squad especially against Big East teams. It also benefits us in the long run to have players log decent playing time in case a starter gets injured or say Liv' again can't score against the big teams when March comes around.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the most obvious thing learned from the general chaos of the transfer portal is that everyone expects minutes no matter the circumstances or how good the players ahead of them are. Kiki is often described as 'mature beyond her years' by coaches so while I think she could potentially be patient on the bench at first you can't just do what Geno sometimes has done in the past and expect her to wait there until her Junior season. I'd love to see him rotate players early and often given the depth of this squad especially against Big East teams. It also benefits us in the long run to have players log decent playing time in case a starter gets injured or say Liv' again can't score against the big teams when March comes around.
That not correct or even close. Kiki Rice is #2 player in her class. Every single player ranked #1 or #2 successfully recruited by UCONN has become a starter by the beginning of their sophomore year.
That list of players would include Maya, Tina, KML, Stewie, Moriah Jefferson, KLS, Christyn Williams, Megan Walker, ONO & Paige. The list would also include several players not ranked #1 or 2 who were regular starters by their sophomore campaign (Faris, Doty, Hartley, Collier, Dolson). Who did you have in mind from past teams that Geno made wait until junior season?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
KiKi Rice is a long, exceptionally athletic and versatile combo guard/wing who will be an excellent player wherever she ends up. It’s a little premature to assume that, as a freshman, Rice will start at Stanford, but maybe not at UConn. Both schools posess deep rosters this year as well as next, so there are lots of different scenarios that could play out.

As for UConn’s deep pool of guards, I think a deeper dive might be in order. Whether we’re talking about a 3 or 4 guard lineup, it’s hard to envision any starting combination in 2022-23 that does not include Paige & Azzi. Is Nika the 3rd guard? She’s a fierce competitor and certainly isn’t going to cede a starting spot without a fight. After those 3 there’s Saylor & Caroline. Pending their development this season, I’m not certain either one is a guard in D1 and not better suited for a W/F role. Time will tell.

With that said, I’m very impressed that Rice appears to be following a recruiting process that is both deliberative and comprehensive. I’m sure her parents have encouraged her to gather as much information as possible before making her final choice.

Rice has culled her original list from 11 to 5. We know 4 of the 5, and Rice can’t go wrong with any of them. I suspect that Rice has a favorite in her own mind, but she probably wants to spend time with her potential future teammates and coaches before making a final decision.

If Rice doesn’t believe she can start at UConn next season, I have greatly misjudged her motivation and she shouldn’t come to Storrs. I can envision Geno saying something to her like, “You’re not guaranteed a starting spot or playing time at UConn. You’ll earn every minute you’ll get here.” That’s the kind of challenge that brought a lot of really talented players to UConn.

Fingers crossed……..

Reaction Score
KiKi Rice is a long, exceptionally athletic and versatile combo guard/wing who will be an excellent player wherever she ends up. It’s a little premature to assume that, as a freshman, Rice will start at Stanford, but maybe not at UConn. Both schools posess deep rosters this year as well as next, so there are lots of different scenarios that could play out.

As for UConn’s deep pool of guards, I think a deeper dive might be in order. Whether we’re talking about a 3 or 4 guard lineup, it’s hard to envision any starting combination in 2022-23 that does not include Paige & Azzi. Is Nika the 3rd guard? She’s a fierce competitor and certainly isn’t going to cede a starting spot without a fight. After those 3 there’s Saylor & Caroline. Pending their development this season, I’m not certain either one is a guard in D1 and not better suited for a W/F role. Time will tell.

With that said, I’m very impressed that Rice appears to be following a recruiting process that is both deliberative and comprehensive. I’m sure her parents have encouraged her to gather as much information as possible before making her final choice.

Rice has culled her original list from 11 to 5. We know 4 of the 5, and Rice can’t go wrong with any of them. I suspect that Rice has a favorite in her own mind, but she probably wants to spend time with her potential future teammates and coaches before making a final decision.

If Rice doesn’t believe she can start at UConn next season, I have greatly misjudged her motivation and she shouldn’t come to Storrs. I can envision Geno saying something to her like, “You’re not guaranteed a starting spot or playing time at UConn. You’ll earn every minute you’ll get here.” That’s the kind of challenge that brought a lot of really talented players to UConn.

Fingers crossed……..
Has she paired her list or we just know 4 off the official visits she may very well do unofficial visits also ?

Reaction Score

Fingers crossed……..
Agree that by 22-23 virtually everyone has penciled in Paige at PG and Azzi at SG. To a certain extent that handicaps our ability to recruit players who expect to start at either of those positions for a couple of years. Coco is right that most all number 1 or 2 recruits have started by their sophomore years. What's different is that Kiki has just recently moved up to #2 on one rating service. She is far from a consensus number 2. On the other hand Paige and Azzi have often been tagged with the generational label. Not just a consensus #1 in their class, but considered considerably better than the number 1's in most recruiting years.

It is possible that Paige and Azzi would be harder to bump from the starting lineup than any backcourt pair ever! I don't know how she feels about it, but with Uconn, Kiki's easiest path to a starter at first is at SF. It could happen there, and even if it doesn't, I see the worst case for her would be getting significant minutes at SF and SG, and possibly some at PG, but of course Nika could be a factor there. With any significant injury of course she could be a great solution at all three positions.

It is also worth noting that being a key backup on a great team does not in any way rule out a WNBA career. Any Uconn player that succeeds in a backup role behind other future WNBA players gets noticed, and as much exposure as if they were the star on a mediocre team, and of course Uconn has a great track record preparing players for the league.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fingers crossed……..
Has there been something (Social Media) linked to Kiki that confirms she is down to 5 schools?
Everything I've seen read including here on the BY and specifically in the video posted by @Alydar was based on speculation and optimism with only confirmation of three official visits so far. The major speculation and optimism was her two remaining visits would be to Duke and UCONN on First Night. Do we really know?

Reaction Score
Its a shame that fans other than students cannot attend First Night. Recruits are always impressed with the attendance and craziness of the fans at this event, and are in awe that this many fans would show up at a non-game situation. If KiKi loves fan adoration as Paige does, this could likely seal the deal.
I also believe that prospects like to see attendance and fan craziness. Well, we had at least one significant recruit in the house last Friday night to see our intra squad scrimmage. I believe the timing of her OV was intentional. Certainly intentional on our Dawn's part . . . if not on the recruit's.

1633453789035.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I also believe that prospects like to see attendance and fan craziness. Well, we had at least one significant recruit in the house last Friday night to see our intra squad scrimmage

View attachment 70176
:eek: Who was the recruit? That's not fan crazy, that is just a bunch of SC fans waving surrender flags in unison.
This is fan crazy:
1633454425755.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Has she paired her list or we just know 4 off the official visits she may very well do unofficial visits also ?
Has there been something (Social Media) linked to Kiki that confirms she is down to 5 schools?
Everything I've seen read including here on the BY and specifically in the video posted by @Alydar was based on speculation and optimism with only confirmation of three official visits so far. The major speculation and optimism was her two remaining visits would be to Duke and UCONN on First Night. Do we really know?
These are both good questions. After going back and listening to the speculation from the 2 guys on the podcast, it’s clear that they are speculating that the favorites include UCLA & Stanford where Rice had official visits, a 3rd unnamed school with an official visit and Duke & UConn which they assume will be Rice’s last 2 officials.

Since Rice has generally refrained from much of the social media posts we see from other recruits, we really don’t know for sure if she’s down to 5 schools or she’s still looking at 11.

In any event, I will feel pretty good if we see Rice at 1st Night. It would be a real kick in the behind if Rice ends up at the other CT school where her mom & dad went, the one with the Cole Porter fight song:

“Bulldog! Bulldog!
Bow wow wow…….”

Reaction Score
Agree that by 22-23 virtually everyone has penciled in Paige at PG and Azzi at SG. To a certain extent that handicaps our ability to recruit players who expect to start at either of those positions for a couple of years. Coco is right that most all number 1 or 2 recruits have started by their sophomore years. What's different is that Kiki has just recently moved up to #2 on one rating service. She is far from a consensus number 2. On the other hand Paige and Azzi have often been tagged with the generational label. Not just a consensus #1 in their class, but considered considerably better than the number 1's in most recruiting years.

It is possible that Paige and Azzi would be harder to bump from the starting lineup than any backcourt pair ever! I don't know how she feels about it, but with Uconn, Kiki's easiest path to a starter at first is at SF. It could happen there, and even if it doesn't, I see the worst case for her would be getting significant minutes at SF and SG, and possibly some at PG, but of course Nika could be a factor there. With any significant injury of course she could be a great solution at all three positions.

It is also worth noting that being a key backup on a great team does not in any way rule out a WNBA career. Any Uconn player that succeeds in a backup role behind other future WNBA players gets noticed, and as much exposure as if they were the star on a mediocre team, and of course Uconn has a great track record preparing players for the league.
I also think that Paige is going to be played more physically this season and I hope she is prepared.
If I were an opposing coach, this would definitely be integrated into my game plan/rotation.
Plenty of talented athletes on this squad to provide breaks and keep legs fresh in the regularly occurring BE blowouts.
Why risk rolling an ankle in a 88-41 game that is over mid 3rd quarter?
Any teammates that squawk about playing time are missing the big picture.
JMHO

Reaction Score
With many of today's top high school players having been recruited since Junior High, we have a much more sophisticated set of athletes than in the past. I doubt most make decisions simply around whether or not they will start their frosh year. All the Top 10 will get significant minutes. Most likely want to know how the school will prepare them for the future. Unless there is a unique acedemic program a recruit wants or a specific major like engineering, it is unlikely that any undergrad course load is significantly different. Most of the top schools can point toward sending players into the pros but UConn is unique in the number of players that have had exceptional careers in the pros, Olympics, etc. Other colleges have had good teams in the past - UConn has a true "basketball program."

Reaction Score
I said it before I'll say it again Kiki not taking a backseat to Paige and Azzi. On day one freshman year she deserves to start and that along with academic will play factor which is why Stanford and Duke are the two she will end up,deciding.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With many of today's top high school players having been recruited since Junior High, we have a much more sophisticated set of athletes than in the past. I doubt most make decisions simply around whether or not they will start their frosh year. All the Top 10 will get significant minutes. Most likely want to know how the school will prepare them for the future. Unless there is a unique acedemic program a recruit wants or a specific major like engineering, it is unlikely that any undergrad course load is significantly different. Most of the top schools can point toward sending players into the pros but UConn is unique in the number of players that have had exceptional careers in the pros, Olympics, etc. Other colleges have had good teams in the past - UConn has a true "basketball program."
There’s one other potential factor that may or may not play into a recruit’s decision just yet. But I can anticipate that it will definitely be a factor in the future - NIL. As a basketball school with the most successful WBB program in history, under a legendary coach, with a national following, does UConn offer better NIL opportunities then a P5 program where WBB often plays 2nd fiddle to Football & MBB?

Reaction Score
There’s one other potential factor that may or may not play into a recruit’s decision just yet. But I can anticipate that it will definitely be a factor in the future - NIL. As a basketball school with the most successful WBB program in history, under a legendary coach, with a national following, does UConn offer better NIL opportunities then a P5 program where WBB often plays 2nd fiddle to Football & MBB?
I think NIL will boil down to fan support and TV eyeballs. UConn has both.

At South Carolina, football drives the boat as it does at all SEC schools. However we have great fan support and MAY draw the most tv eyeballs over the course of the next year when almost all of our games will be televised nationally on the ESPN networks - including SECTV. Advertisers on those networks are going to want some ads with NIL of our top players.

Of course, TV ads aren't the only lucrative sources for capitalizing on NIL. There is the InterWeb. I'll let folks younger than me (and our press agents) worry about that.

I am interested in whether websites like this one and the multitude of rivals sites are going to have to pay NIL. Advertisers on those sites will but do the sites themselves have to pay?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
An Ivy league caliber student, who is mature beyond her years is not going to make a life decision based solely on her ability to start as a Freshman. A big time baller like Kiki relishes the challenge of pushing Paige and Azzi because she realizes full well that they will push her in return. Steel sharpens steel.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So, as I feel about Kiki Rice:

1) The advantages of Stanford are its great academics, Tara, the chance to win at least one title during her 4 years, good NIL potential, great weather, nice campus, good facilities, and a good chance for immediately starting. Also there is the small advantage of having an aunt who has played for Tara. The disadvantages are because of the distance from home her parents and relatives will have problems seeing her play, the potential loneliness from being so far from home, not really being familiar with most of the current players at Stanford, and the pressure of playing for a storied program that is currently NCAA champions.

2) The advantages of UConn are it's incredible history of championships, the chance of winning at least one title in her 4 years, going to a school that has a pipeline to the WNBA and the Olympics, the best NIL prospects, national visibility from the media and on TV, good facilities, being closer to family, knowing a few of the current players well, and Geno. Its disadvantages are the chance of not immediately starting, but decent to good amount of PT, the pressures of playing in the most storied program in WCBB history, a lesser academic program than Stanford or Duke, a merely OK campus, and perhaps, the New England weather.

3) The advantages of Duke are a great academics, immediately starting, being close to family, a great campus, good facilities, and getting in on the ground floor of a nascent program with a good and highly motivated coach. Also the weather is closer to what she is accustomed to. The disadvantages are an untested coach, low chances of a NCAA championship in all of her 4 years or so, a small chance of not making the NCAA's in at least one of her years, small NIL prospects, and not being close to any of the current players.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
If Kiki were to play for Yale, it would be like playing in a black hole. Little to no media coverage except in the Yale community. National coverage, I don't think so. She has stayed away from social media making her a mystery in most aspects except her incredible BB talent. Hard for me to believe Kiki couldn't get a quality education at any school under consideration. To be a top talent one in most cases is very self motivated on the court and in the classroom. As CocoHusky has written if she is looking for a challenge the best choice for her and us in indeed UCONN. Kiki come on up to the best program in the history of WCBB be a HUSKY, leave your mark. Aim for multiple National championships and a place on the wall. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
so according to some users if Kiki does not go to Uconn she 1) ran away from a challenge, 2) did not want to compete, 3) she went to a school that only she felt she could start, 4) will never win anything if she goes to Duke. Let's just hope she doesn't read this forum when making her decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom