October Recruiting Thread | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Link to September thread

ESPN/PBR put out it's updated rankings the other day. Shane Laflin breaks down their top two players in the '22, '23, and '24 classes. Outside of Betts (#1 in 2022) the other five are all UConn POI.

This is split over two posts.

G Kiki Rice
Sidwell Friends High School (Washington, D.C.)
espnW 100 ranking: 2
Uncommitted

Rice is one of the most dynamic guards in her class. She has the ball on a string and knows how to get to her spots to score the basketball. Rice quietly goes about her business and, in true competitive fashion, can put her team on her back. Rice has been named the Gatorade Player of the Year in Washington, D.C., for both basketball and soccer.

In August, she was part of the USA 3x3 U18 team that won gold in Debrecen, Hungary, playing alongside top-ranked junior Mikaylah Williams. Although a different style of game, Rice proved to be extremely hard to guard with the spacing the 3x3 game provides. She also won gold with the U16 FIBA Americas USA team in 2019.

Rice has always excelled in transition. In the open court, she has a feel for how to attack the opposing team, whether she drives to the rim or uses her skillful pull-up jumper. She has added more of a 3-point threat to her game, although it is an area of improvement for her to get to the next level. Due to her aggressive scoring nature, teams commit a lot of attention to Rice, which allows her to set up teammates for opportunities as well.

In the half court, Rice's quick first step and explosiveness out of dribble moves and ball screens has always been there. As she looks to add to her game, watch for her to become more adept without the ball in her hands in terms of reading screens or setting up her defender in different actions. As she becomes more efficient in half-court possessions, she can only expand her game even more. With her footwork and instincts for the basketball, she can become an elite defender as well.

G Mikaylah Williams
Parkway High School (Louisiana)
espnW 60 ranking: 1
Uncommitted

We may have a historic battle about who is going to end up the No. 1 player in the 2023 class, and we are more than ready to watch it play out. This class has two of the most complete scoring guards in the country and recent memory, drawing comparisons to the 2020 class battle of Paige Bueckers vs. Caitlin Clark.

Williams put the world on notice when she won the MVP of the FIBA 3X3 U18 World Championship in August. She was the youngest on the four-player roster and proved why she was the best player on the floor. She is strong and fast, and can elevate with the best of them. She has a broad 6-foot frame, and as a multisport athlete (softball and track and field), she has the coordination and footwork that helps her excel on the court and on the field as well.

Skill-wise, she has it all. A natural scorer, she can slide over and play some point guard if her team needs it. Williams has a creative handle and can shake a defender in the open court or in the half court. She can drive and finish with both her left and right hands, and she is a strong, acrobatic finisher in the paint and at the rim.

Williams knows when to pull up for the jumper and when to use her frame and footwork to get to her spot for closer scoring opportunities. Because she is the focus of opposing defenses, she sees a lot of early help and double teams, and she is precise with when and where to distribute the ball to teammates.

What makes Williams so complete is that she is also a lockdown defender. Her effort and focus both on and off the ball set her apart from her peers and have her more college ready than anyone in her class. Her strength and nose for the ball allow her to rebound against the bigs and start the break instantly.

In April, the only moderate concern was her consistency and confidence from the 3-point line. By July, she erased that, stroking shots from deep with ease, either off the catch or off the dribble. That was clearly on display at the Premier Basketball Super 64 Championship game vs. No. 3-ranked junior Ciera Toomey and her NEPA Elite squad. By halftime, Williams had 20 points, including multiple 3s. The challenges that face her will be how she handles the attention of being in the No. 1 spot. But as a humble worker, she should be just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well, it was split into two posts. The second appears to have been deleted.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
ESPN/PBR put out it's updated rankings the other day. Shane Laflin breaks down their top two players in the '22, '23, and '24 classes. Outside of Betts (#1 in 2022) the other five are all UConn POI.

This is split over two posts.

G Kiki Rice
Sidwell Friends High School (Washington, D.C.)
espnW 100 ranking: 2
Uncommitted

Rice is one of the most dynamic guards in her class. She has the ball on a string and knows how to get to her spots to score the basketball. Rice quietly goes about her business and, in true competitive fashion, can put her team on her back. Rice has been named the Gatorade Player of the Year in Washington, D.C., for both basketball and soccer.

In August, she was part of the USA 3x3 U18 team that won gold in Debrecen, Hungary, playing alongside top-ranked junior Mikaylah Williams. Although a different style of game, Rice proved to be extremely hard to guard with the spacing the 3x3 game provides. She also won gold with the U16 FIBA Americas USA team in 2019.

Rice has always excelled in transition. In the open court, she has a feel for how to attack the opposing team, whether she drives to the rim or uses her skillful pull-up jumper. She has added more of a 3-point threat to her game, although it is an area of improvement for her to get to the next level. Due to her aggressive scoring nature, teams commit a lot of attention to Rice, which allows her to set up teammates for opportunities as well.

In the half court, Rice's quick first step and explosiveness out of dribble moves and ball screens has always been there. As she looks to add to her game, watch for her to become more adept without the ball in her hands in terms of reading screens or setting up her defender in different actions. As she becomes more efficient in half-court possessions, she can only expand her game even more. With her footwork and instincts for the basketball, she can become an elite defender as well.

G Mikaylah Williams
Parkway High School (Louisiana)
espnW 60 ranking: 1
Uncommitted

We may have a historic battle about who is going to end up the No. 1 player in the 2023 class, and we are more than ready to watch it play out. This class has two of the most complete scoring guards in the country and recent memory, drawing comparisons to the 2020 class battle of Paige Bueckers vs. Caitlin Clark.

Williams put the world on notice when she won the MVP of the FIBA 3X3 U18 World Championship in August. She was the youngest on the four-player roster and proved why she was the best player on the floor. She is strong and fast, and can elevate with the best of them. She has a broad 6-foot frame, and as a multisport athlete (softball and track and field), she has the coordination and footwork that helps her excel on the court and on the field as well.

Skill-wise, she has it all. A natural scorer, she can slide over and play some point guard if her team needs it. Williams has a creative handle and can shake a defender in the open court or in the half court. She can drive and finish with both her left and right hands, and she is a strong, acrobatic finisher in the paint and at the rim.

Williams knows when to pull up for the jumper and when to use her frame and footwork to get to her spot for closer scoring opportunities. Because she is the focus of opposing defenses, she sees a lot of early help and double teams, and she is precise with when and where to distribute the ball to teammates.

What makes Williams so complete is that she is also a lockdown defender. Her effort and focus both on and off the ball set her apart from her peers and have her more college ready than anyone in her class. Her strength and nose for the ball allow her to rebound against the bigs and start the break instantly.

In April, the only moderate concern was her consistency and confidence from the 3-point line. By July, she erased that, stroking shots from deep with ease, either off the catch or off the dribble. That was clearly on display at the Premier Basketball Super 64 Championship game vs. No. 3-ranked junior Ciera Toomey and her NEPA Elite squad. By halftime, Williams had 20 points, including multiple 3s. The challenges that face her will be how she handles the attention of being in the No. 1 spot. But as a humble worker, she should be just fine.

I check ESPN every day for news, updates, whatever, While it is nice that they have honored us with their top 2 in prospects for the next couple of years I ask ESPN is that all you got? Like most things ESPN I find that IMO the coverage and insight is inadequate. Just start with their list of prospects recruiting pages. They hawk the list and rank the players in the upcoming classes but after 2022 try to find any info on the players and there is usually no info available. If there is no info how did they decide who is number 1 or any other player ranking. That's just the start for me, I'll refrain from further examples for now, however I have a growing list and continue to wonder why they do a half butt job. :mad:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I check ESPN every day for news, updates, whatever, While it is nice that they have honored us with their top 2 in prospects for the next couple of years I ask ESPN is that all you got? Like most things ESPN I find that IMO the coverage and insight is inadequate. Just start with their list of prospects recruiting pages. They hawk the list and rank the players in the upcoming classes but after 2022 try to find any info on the players and there is usually no info available. If there is no info how did they decide who is number 1 or any other player ranking. That's just the start for me, I'll refrain from further examples for now, however I have a growing list and continue to wonder why they do a half butt job. :mad:
I think we can say "half-assed" on here! :p

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Morgan Valley following 6-4 German forward Annika Soltau on IG. She appears to be a 2023. Soltau follows back.

Hat tip to Stoli.

Highlights from last month's U16 European challengers where Soltau averaged 17.4 points on 57% shooting, 11.4 rebounds, and 3.6 blocks.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Morgan Valley following 6-4 German forward Annika Soltau on IG. She appears to be a 2023. Soltau follows back.

Hat tip to Stoli.

Highlights from last month's U16 European challengers where Soltau averaged 17.4 points on 57% shooting, 11.4 rebounds, and 3.6 blocks.

A Big that wants to attack the basket all the time, and not hang out at the arc pretending to be a guard…… :)

Reaction Score
A Big that wants to attack the basket all the time, and not hang out at the arc pretending to be a guard…… :)
She's not even 16, with her 16th birthday in December. Listed as a small forward or power forward. Seems very mobile and certainly is very smooth and skilled driving towards the basket. Uncertain from the highlights whether she can shoot well away from the basket. She has plenty of time to grow her game before going to the next level whether it's in the US or Europe.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The rationale for movement in the ranking is contained in the articles such as this one.
This is clearly a shift for ESPN and I don't think they have updated a single player profile in 2021. If I'm not mistaken this time frame is consistent with the merger? with Premier Basketball. Recall that about a year ago many of us were complaining because some players that were playing in Premier Basketball tournaments were having dramatic rise in the ranking and that Caroline Ducharme was one of those players. Dan Olson one of the best evaluators has also left ESPN and is over a The Collegiate Girls Report which is a pay for evaluation service. I don't imagine things will ever get back to the way they were for ESPN and it will be interesting to see how ProspectsNation goes about updates.

Reaction Score

Hat tip to Stoli.

Nice footwork and coordination. If she is a 2023, could be a good backup option in case Toomey surprises and doesn’t go to UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nice footwork and coordination. If she is a 2023, could be a backup option in case Toomey surprises and doesn’t go to UConn.
Nah I don't see that at all. Toomey is truly unique in ball handling, deep shooting and size. I didn't see anything comparable in Soltau. I also thing there are at least 2 comparable domestic players to Soltau in the '23 class alone (Oliva Anderson & Maggie Mendelson).

Reaction Score
Nah I don't see that at all. Toomey is truly unique in ball handling, deep shooting and size. I didn't see anything comparable in Soltau. I also thing there are at least 2 comparable domestic players to Soltau in the '23 class alone (Oliva Anderson & Maggie Mendelson).
I should have clarified her as strictly a size option. Obviously nothing else is comparable to Toomey. For other alternatives in the US, beyond Cunningham, Mendleson and Del Rosario, it’s a slim class for posts. IMO, Cunningham and Mendleson will stay west with the latter possibly joining Gardiner, her HS teammate at Oregon St. And do you know if UConn is even on Del Rosario?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Well she sure is an albatross. That wingspan is impressive. The video must have been against a Spanish team. OLE!

Reaction Score
She's not UConn material. She missed one layup. A player cannot play for UConn if she makes most of her layups.:p
And she doesn’t look enough like any UConn player past or present for BYers to mix her up with.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They have weight rooms in Germany right? Of course there is a sophomore at Stanford who makes it work.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Rice visiting Stanford this weekend. This is her 3rd official visit though which school was her 1st seems to be a mystery. If she plans to take her 2 remaining official visits I expect UConn and Duke to be on her itinerary assuming neither was OV #1.

Reaction Score
Rice visiting Stanford this weekend. This is her 3rd official visit though which school was her 1st seems to be a mystery. If she plans to take her 2 remaining official visits I expect UConn and Duke to be on her itinerary assuming neither was OV #1.

I'm guessing Duke will be next weekend a she will wrap up at Uconn for First Night festivities on the weekend of the the 15th. Geno, Paige and Company will seal the deal. :) I think she may be the 2nd commitment Geno was expecting from that interview awhile back.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I'm guessing Duke will be next weekend a she will wrap up at Uconn for First Night festivities on the weekend of the the 15th. Geno, Paige and Company will seal the deal. :) I think she may be the 2nd commitment Geno was expecting from that interview awhile back.
I think most of us are hopeful that you are right. She is a prize worth waiting for, while making our recruiting class A#1 in the country again.

Reaction Score
That was already Patterson but hopefully Rice can make it the third

Reaction Score
That was already Patterson but hopefully Rice can make it the third

Yeah, he alluded to 2. 1 was Patterson and there was another one that we assumed would be KK or rice. Wasnt a definite obviously but mentioned 2 possible recruits. We will see! I feel good if she is in fact visiting us last that weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom