October Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
so according to some users if Kiki does not go to Uconn she 1) ran away from a challenge, 2) did not want to compete, 3) she went to a school that only she felt she could start, 4) will never win anything if she goes to Duke. Let's just hope she doesn't read this forum when making her decision.
Shoot it gets worse once she decides against UConn if you think now is bad

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I said it before I'll say it again Kiki not taking a backseat to Paige and Azzi. On day one freshman year she deserves to start and that along with academic will play factor which is why Stanford and Duke are the two she will end up,deciding.
So, according to you she'll only go to a school where she is guaranteed to start? She hasn't even had one college practice yet she "deserves" to start? Good thing she doesn't read the BY.

Reaction Score
If Kiki Rice ultimately does not end up in Storrs then I'll be content with Brady and Patterson. The real mystery of my curiosity is where Janiah Barker will eventually attend. She just like Rice has kept her recruiting process an enigma and at this point I think will go elsewhere. As for 2023 at this moment, I find myself aiming for Mikaylah Williams and Madison Booker.

Reaction Score
so according to some users if Kiki does not go to Uconn she 1) ran away from a challenge, 2) did not want to compete, 3) she went to a school that only she felt she could start, 4) will never win anything if she goes to Duke. Let's just hope she doesn't read this forum when making her decision.

Reductio ad absurdum much?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Kiki were to play for Yale, it would be like playing in a black hole. Little to no media coverage except in the Yale community. National coverage, I don't think so. She has stayed away from social media making her a mystery in most aspects except her incredible BB talent. Hard for me to believe Kiki couldn't get a quality education at any school under consideration. To be a top talent one in most cases is very self motivated on the court and in the classroom. As CocoHusky has written if she is looking for a challenge the best choice for her and us in indeed UCONN. Kiki come on up to the best program in the history of WCBB be a HUSKY, leave your mark. Aim for multiple National championships and a place on the wall. :rolleyes:
Don't undersell the Ivy league. If Kiki were to choose Yale I'd be the first one to breath a sigh of relief because it is not Stanford. This former Ivy league POY had a pretty decent college career , was a first round WNBA draft pick and had a national commercial and endorsement upon graduation. No reason Kiki can't do the same.

Reaction Score
So, according to you she'll only go to a school where she is guaranteed to start? She hasn't even had one college practice yet she "deserves" to start? Good thing she doesn't read the BY.
meanwhile others are saying that if she does not go to Uconn she ran away from a challenge? Is that fair? She is the best role model you could ask for when it comes to idolizing a wbb player. I will root for her no matter where she goes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
meanwhile others are saying that if she does not go to Uconn she ran away from a challenge? Is that fair? She is the best role model you could ask for when it comes to idolizing a wbb player. I will root for her no matter where she goes.
Who them Others? Show us the post

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For 2023 I want Ciera Toomey
+ Mikayla Williams + Madison Booker + Breya Cunningham because I'm.....
The Polka King Money GIF by NETFLIX

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Are you new around these parts? Seems to me there's been a lot of crazier stuff posted about recruits over the years.

You of course realize that on some boards posters say that if a recruit chooses UConn over an elite academic school then she doesn't value academics. Or if a recruit includes Notre Dame or Stanford on her final list of schools then she clearly value academics. And if she doesn't list one or more of those schools? My point is that posters on all boards say goofy stuff when it comes to recruiting.

Bravo to you for rooting for Rice wherever she goes. Others here will do the same.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
If Kiki Rice ultimately does not end up in Storrs then I'll be content with Brady and Patterson. The real mystery of my curiosity is where Janiah Barker will eventually attend. She just like Rice has kept her recruiting process an enigma and at this point I think will go elsewhere. As for 2023 at this moment, I find myself aiming for Mikaylah Williams and Madison Booker.

Barker put out a top five a couple of months ago -- SC, Ole Miss, Duke, Georgia, Louisville.

Most are suspecting SC.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
+ Mikayla Williams + Madison Booker + Breya Cunningham because I'm.....
The Polka King Money GIF by NETFLIX
I'll go on record now saying I'm a Watkins, Booker, Cunningham guy. Williams is a playa and is hellanice, but Watkins just seems to have it. Toomey is hellanice too though.

Reaction Score
Agree that by 22-23 virtually everyone has penciled in Paige at PG and Azzi at SG. To a certain extent that handicaps our ability to recruit players who expect to start at either of those positions for a couple of years. Coco is right that most all number 1 or 2 recruits have started by their sophomore years. What's different is that Kiki has just recently moved up to #2 on one rating service. She is far from a consensus number 2. On the other hand Paige and Azzi have often been tagged with the generational label. Not just a consensus #1 in their class, but considered considerably better than the number 1's in most recruiting years.

It is possible that Paige and Azzi would be harder to bump from the starting lineup than any backcourt pair ever! I don't know how she feels about it, but with Uconn, Kiki's easiest path to a starter at first is at SF. It could happen there, and even if it doesn't, I see the worst case for her would be getting significant minutes at SF and SG, and possibly some at PG, but of course Nika could be a factor there. With any significant injury of course she could be a great solution at all three positions.

It is also worth noting that being a key backup on a great team does not in any way rule out a WNBA career. Any Uconn player that succeeds in a backup role behind other future WNBA players gets noticed, and as much exposure as if they were the star on a mediocre team, and of course Uconn has a great track record preparing players for the league.
I actually don't think Paige's long term career keeps her at PG. I actually think she will take a more DT career path where she is technically in a off ball guard position not necessarily bringing the ball up all the time but will be the chief facilitator once in the offense.

I think there is a path where Nika, Azzi, and Paige start in the guard positions in 22-23 with Aaliyah and Dorka in the forward spots.

When Nika was healthy, I thought Nika, Paige, and Chrystin worked well together and I expect even better with Azzi in 22-23.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Not run away from a challenge, just making a decision other than UCONN.

Reaction Score
Barker put out a top five a couple of months ago -- SC, Ole Miss, Duke, Georgia, Louisville.

Most are suspecting SC.
Thanks for the info! I don't follow any athletes on social media so I wouldn't have known.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'll go on record now saying I'm a Watkins, Booker, Cunningham guy. Williams is a playa and is hellanice, but Watkins just seems to have it. Toomey is hellanice too though.
For me it as easy as A B C. Ashlyn, Breya, Booker, Cierra. Could do a little D with Del Rosario

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
With that said, I’m very impressed that Rice appears to be following a recruiting process that is both deliberative and comprehensive. I’m sure her parents have encouraged her to gather as much information as possible before making her final choice.

Rice has culled her original list from 11 to 5. We know 4 of the 5, and Rice can’t go wrong with any of them. I suspect that Rice has a favorite in her own mind, but she probably wants to spend time with her potential future teammates and coaches before making a final decision.

I've been following the trail(s) on Ms. Rice and would agree with you. Hope that she'll be right and tight with her decision given the thoroughness that has been put into it.

Meanwhile, over at the Bench, many of us have been nervously watching KK Bransford take a similar approach to her recruitment: Start with a fairly large number of schools, then research and cull (great word, btw) them down. In her case, she took a number of unofficials to nearby schools to save OV's for finalists that were a bit further away. At this juncture, it looks like ND is one of her finalists, along with North Carolina, Michigan, UCLA and Arizona. I've read that she's taken OV's to most of these (not sure about Michigan).

This is not compare the two players: far from it. However, I can relate to the excitement/angst waiting for the next step. For ND, this is big because, as of yet, Niele has no 2022 commitments. Good luck and stay tuned. :confused: ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've been following the trail(s) on Ms. Rice and would agree with you. Hope that she'll be right and tight with her decision given the thoroughness that has been put into it.

Meanwhile, over at the Bench, many of us have been nervously watching KK Bransford take a similar approach to her recruitment: Start with a fairly large number of schools, then research and cull (great word, btw) them down. In her case, she took a number of unofficials to nearby schools to save OV's for finalists that were a bit further away. At this juncture, it looks like ND is one of her finalists, along with North Carolina, Michigan, UCLA and Arizona. I've read that she's taken OV's to most of these (not sure about Michigan).

This is not compare the two players: far from it. However, I can relate to the excitement/angst waiting for the next step. For ND, this is big because, as of yet, Niele has no 2022 commitments. Good luck and stay tuned. :confused: ;)
Who else is ND looking at in '22 besides Bransford? I seem to recall early ND interest in Grace VanSlooten prior to her transfer to IMG.

Reaction Score
I see all those are coming from your mouth not BYers... LOL

Reaction Score
Who else is ND looking at in '22 besides Bransford? I seem to recall early ND interest in Grace VanSlooten prior to her transfer to IMG.
Seems like VanSlooten is headed to Oregon. Think on the non-UConn board. Supposedly an announcement tomorrow, I think it says.

Reaction Score
I have a question regarding KK and Kiki. Do we know for sure if a formal offer has been made? The reason I ask is teams handle this very differently. Louisville for example seems to offer everyone early and Uconn by contrast may indicate an interest, but may let things play out a little before the formal offer comes, and by the time they do that player is a major priority.

At one point KK and Kiki were considered similarly rated prospects that could have been in an either or situation, where Uconn wanted one of the two, but realized they didn't really need both. In that kind of a situation, if you offer both, the first to say yes comes here, and the second probably after hearing that news moves on to other choices.

Do you think KK ultimately became option B, and might have been given the impression that Uconn was only really interested if Kiki went elsewhere? If so she might have concluded I'm not going to wait around for Kiki's decision, I will concentrate on schools that make me a top priority.

There are pros and cons and tradeoffs to the many different approaches, but I find it interesting that for the 2023 recruits we put several offers out there more formally for those players to reveal if they wanted to. It might be more coincidence, but seems like a tactical shift. Maybe it is because players now want to keep their followers up to date with a couple of short lists before they make their big decision.

Reaction Score
So, as I feel about Kiki Rice:

1) The advantages of Stanford are its great academics, Tara, the chance to win at least one title during her 4 years, good NIL potential, great weather, nice campus, good facilities, and a good chance for immediately starting. Also there is the small advantage of having an aunt who has played for Tara. The disadvantages are because of the distance from home her parents and relatives will have problems seeing her play, the potential loneliness from being so far from home, not really being familiar with most of the current players at Stanford, and the pressure of playing for a storied program that is currently NCAA champions.

2) The advantages of UConn are it's incredible history of championships, the chance of winning at least one title in her 4 years, going to a school that has a pipeline to the WNBA and the Olympics, the best NIL prospects, national visibility from the media and on TV, good facilities, being closer to family, knowing a few of the current players well, and Geno. Its disadvantages are the chance of not immediately starting, but decent to good amount of PT, the pressures of playing in the most storied program in WCBB history, a lesser academic program than Stanford or Duke, a merely OK campus, and perhaps, the New England weather.

3) The advantages of Duke are a great academics, immediately starting, being close to family, a great campus, good facilities, and getting in on the ground floor of a nascent program with a good and highly motivated coach. Also the weather is closer to what she is accustomed to. The disadvantages are an untested coach, low chances of a NCAA championship in all of her 4 years or so, a small chance of not making the NCAA's in at least one of her years, small NIL prospects, and not being close to any of the current players.
I don’t believe Susan Rice played any basketball at Stanford for Van Deveer if that’s the aunt you’re speaking of. She is quoted in a article in the Undefeated saying she played PG in HS and in grad school at Oxford but that’s it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom