October Recruiting Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe you could point out where I said this year’s team had such a player? In fact, I specifically said the exact opposite of what you are saying!
Right here.
We did not obviously, but I am very confident that this year’s team is way better equipped for that kind of game! Not necessarily in the sense that we can shut down another McDonald, (though I think we’ll be better at that as well) but rather that our ability to withstand a single dominant performance will be much improved.
Who did you have in mind that is better "way better" equipped to shut down a player like McDonald on this team?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Um, with all apologies to my esteemed colleague, this is a nice “get” for Joni but NO they are not right on SC heels. In fact, I need to see this program replicate what they did last year AND advance well into the NCAAT AND beat Tenn with any regularity before I can say they are legit. Just my humble opinion….
I think you missed the wink

Reaction Score
Nothing against Waco, TX, but Athens, Ga is a great college town, and the SEC is a much stronger conference than the Big 12, particularly with TX & OK on the way. I don’t know if Baylor offered Taylor, but unless the money was ridiculously high, she made the right decision staying at UGA.
"Nothing against Waco, TX?" Having lived near there, like the University but can't find many positive things to say about the town.

Reaction Score
Right here.

Who did you have in mind that is better "way better" equipped to shut down a player like McDonald on this team?
Nice try! Nika- healthy, an influx of better shooters, more experienced team, another rim protector in Dorka. I think all of those will allow us to be able to overcome your nightmare scenario of the quick guard!

Reaction Score
Right here.

Did you even read my post? I specifically said, “not necessarily in the sense that we can shut down another McDonald” ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did you even read my post? I specifically said, “not necessarily in the sense that we can shut down another McDonald” ?
Did you? You followup that statement by stating ((though I think we’ll be better at that as well).
"Better at that" is shutting down McDonald no?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nice try! Nika- healthy, an influx of better shooters, more experienced team, another rim protector in Dorka. I think all of those will allow us to be able to overcome your nightmare scenario of the quick guard!
Well Nika is healthier I'll give you that. I'm not sure what having better shooters has to do with better individual perimeter defense that are capable of slowing down quick guards. Dorka is no rim protector she average 1 block per game in 3 season at tOSU= same BPG average as Aaliyah Edwards and Aubrey Griffin. Sounds like more wishful hoping to me.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It wasn't so much the quickness of Ari that hurt UConn last year, but the inability of UConn to defensively adapt to the multitude of screens and sets they ran for her. Remember CW and her "we weren't prepared for that" quote? Even that would have been overcome if UConn could have found a way to shoot AZ out of their zone. They didn't. They pressured Paige hard on the perimeter, forcing UConn to almost abandon the 23 keep and the dribble hand off, then sagged the paint hard, daring UConn to make shots. Then of course when Liv moved out to trigger the triangle they didn't respect her elbow jumper at all. Geno smartly continued to recruit shooters then accepted a transfer of a wing/post that could stretch the defense and force teams to respect UConn's perimeter shooting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It wasn't so much the quickness of Ari that hurt UConn last year, but the inability of UConn to defensively adapt to the multitude of screens and sets they ran for her. Remember CW and her "we weren't prepared for that" quote? Even that would have been overcome if UConn could have found a way to shoot AZ out of their zone. They didn't. They pressured Paige hard on the perimeter, forcing UConn to almost abandon the 23 keep and the dribble hand off, then sagged the paint hard, daring UConn to make shots. Then of course when Liv moved out to trigger the triangle they didn't respect her elbow jumper at all. Geno smartly continued to recruit shooters then accepted a transfer of a wing/post that could stretch the defense and force teams to respect UConn's perimeter shooting.
I see your point just happen to disagree. Arizona game was April Geno has not recruited any shooters in response to any perceived weakness as a result of the Arizona game. Azzi and Caroline signed with UCONN 6 months before the Arizona game.
If things had broken differently Azzi and Caroline would have been in uniform for this game along with Saylor. UNCONN needed a bigger post presence Dorka fits that specific need but Cordosa would fit the need just as well. I consider Dorka ability to stretch the defense a bonus that is nice to have but hopefully never need.
The multitude of Arizona screens was certainly a major issue for UCONN I just think UCONN's inability to disrupt was the bigger issue. Again I not looking for someone to shut down Mcdonald I looking for someone to disrupt or slow her down. Recent UCONN teams (Post Saniya Chong) because of lack of depth or quality perimeter defender have pretty much been conceding 3/4 of the basketball court.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I see your point just happen to disagree. Arizona game was April Geno has not recruited any shooters in response to any perceived weakness as a result of the Arizona game. Azzi and Caroline signed with UCONN 6 months before the Arizona game.
If things had broken differently Azzi and Caroline would have been in uniform for this game along with Saylor. UNCONN needed a bigger post presence Dorka fits that specific need but Cordosa would fit the need just as well. I consider Dorka ability to stretch the defense a bonus that is nice to have but hopefully never need.
The multitude of Arizona screens was certainly a major issue for UCONN I just think UCONN's inability to disrupt was the bigger issue. Again I not looking for someone to shut down Mcdonald I looking for someone to disrupt or slow her down. Recent UCONN teams (Post Saniya Chong) because of lack of depth or quality perimeter defender have pretty much been conceding 3/4 of the basketball court.
I mostly agree. I think however Geno long saw the need for perimeter shooting and perimeter defense well before the Arizona game, before even the 2019-20 season, and recruited to fill that need, hence Saylor and CD. As for a bigger post presence, yes and yes. Which is why I was so disappointed Geno didn't pursue Cardoso harder. I believe however, perimeter disruptor or not, it was Geno's fault that the team wasn't "prepared" to face the multiple screens and sets AZ used to get Ari shots, and CW's remarks proved that to me.

I still think that Ari's scoring would have been moot if there were a pair of other threats from the arc when AZ shut down Paige. I think Geno wants very much to play 4 and occasionally 5 out, as he did during the Stewie years, which is why he has taken the time to stress AE's and Liv's need to improve their outside shooting and Dorka ability to shoot and stretch the defense. I also think Geno intentionally recruited long guard/wings to help in perimeter defense. By the way, Azzi has many times been praised for her ability to be both the teams best offensive threat while taking the other teams best player on defense.

I agree that a perimeter disruptor would be something UConn needs (Bria, Kia, and Mariah, help), and UConn's defense has dipped, but to me the real difference between the teams since Chong is Geno has consistently missed having 5 players on the floor that have the ability to score at any time. Now he does.

Reaction Score
Did you? You followup that statement by stating ((though I think we’ll be better at that as well).
"Better at that" is shutting down McDonald no?
?
Well Nika is healthier I'll give you that. I'm not sure what having better shooters has to do with better individual perimeter defense that are capable of slowing down quick guards. Dorka is no rim protector she average 1 block per game in 3 season at tOSU= same BPG average as Aaliyah Edwards and Aubrey Griffin. Sounds like more wishful hoping to on!
That’s one more per game than we had last year, no? The entire focus of my argument was to point out that regardless of whether we had a lockdown, blazing fast defender, we usually win anyway. We have added more elite talent to last year’s Final Four team, than anyone in the country except possibly South Carolina. We are healthy, we are more experienced, we have the burn and disappointment of last year’s defeat to motivate us, we have three/four seniors who desperately want to win a National Championship and every other member of the team wanting to send them off with a championship. Finally, we have Geno and Chris! Color me optimistic that this team is better equipped to deal with a fast, talented guard on the opposing team. Whether that means actually stopping that guard or simply overwhelming the other four players on the court and nullifying that guard’s performance by outscoring the rest of the team is really irrelevant. We still win!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Zamareya Jones 2024 (North Pitt) Ms. Offense

First off, YES, she is THAT GOOD! For the most part, a lot of us have seen her make a lot of flashy moves and shots through social media. It’s a no-brainer that she can do those things because she has mastered the fundamentals of the game.

I was very impressed with her mainly because she not only knows that she can make a play for herself at any moment, but she loves to make the extra pass or play to make her teammates look good. She was one of the toughest athletes there (even when playing with the boys), high motor and IQ, and her advanced level of ball-handling allows her to score at any time she wants.

She commands respect with her play, but also her voice when she communicates with her teammates. I can’t wait to see this kid play at the next level because she is ready for the BIGGEST lights out there.

JordyG

Reaction Score

She may be a nice kid with a good attitude. But boy, she's a launches from her chest and winds up on every shot. I've often wondered why no one bothers to take these kids aside at a young age and teach them the good fundamentals of shooting. Her motion screams inaccuracy as she advances in level, as well as the increased chance her shot will be blocked. One look at Clarke, Paige, and Azzi and you can see the difference. Even Rhyne Howard, who brings the ball below her waist before the shot has a nice release point that had to have been taught.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She may be a nice kid with a good attitude. But boy, she's a launches from her chest and winds up on every shot. I've often wondered why no one bothers to take these kids aside at a young age and teach them the good fundamentals of shooting. Her motion screams inaccuracy as she advances in level, as well as the increased chance her shot will be blocked. One look at Clarke, Paige, and Azzi and you can see the difference. Even Rhyne Howard, who brings the ball below her waist before the shot has a nice release point that had to have been taught.
For some young kids, it’s simply the case that, at an early age, they are just not strong enough to get the ball up to the rim without launching it from their chest. Yes, at some point, someone should try to change it before it’s too late. But the longer you go with bad mechanics, the harder it is to change. Mikayla Coombs is a good example of a great athlete with bad shooting mechanics.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
?

That’s one more per game than we had last year, no? The entire focus of my argument was to point out that regardless of whether we had a lockdown, blazing fast defender, we usually win anyway. We have added more elite talent to last year’s Final Four team, than anyone in the country except possibly South Carolina. We are healthy, we are more experienced, we have the burn and disappointment of last year’s defeat to motivate us, we have three/four seniors who desperately want to win a National Championship and every other member of the team wanting to send them off with a championship. Finally, we have Geno and Chris! Color me optimistic that this team is better equipped to deal with a fast, talented guard on the opposing team. Whether that means actually stopping that guard or simply overwhelming the other four players on the court and nullifying that guard’s performance by outscoring the rest of the team is really irrelevant. We still win!
:eek: Except when we don’t right? If you look at the last 10 UCONN losses perimeter opponents have put up some pretty gaudy numbers against UCONN.
MSU Vivians 19
ND 2018 Jackie Young 32 + Arike 27
Baylor-no one of note
Louisville- Durr 24
ND Arike 23
Baylor-Cooper 27*
Oregon-Sabrina 1 rebound and 1 assist short of a triple double .
South Carolina-Ty Harris 19
Arkansas- Dungee 37 + Ramirez 22
Arizona- McDonald 26.
* This one should really get your attention because it was Cooper's 2nd highest point total at three different schools. I don’t understand why you are struggling so hard to down play the need for a quality perimeter defender when Geno himself has acknowledged this need.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Many of the young players share in the shooting method Chavez showed in the video clip. It was explained to me that many don't have the strength to shoot with the elevation and proper form. When the youngsters start it would be better if they were taught to shoot at a lower basket using better mechanics, when strength and coordination increase the basket would be moved higher until it reaches the 10' standard. Once they reach the age of Chavez and others muscle memory and form have solidified. Many of the better players are able to have their shot corrected, unfortunately for them it would easier to be taught correctly than to learn the proper technique at a later time.

Reaction Score
Skipped over your post and just watched her video and I commented that her shot was slow and weird. Also didn’t say but was thinking the same as you, that won’t work as she gets older unless she does it at a much much faster speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom